Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
faust405245

A bit harsh, no?

So I'm Villa. First season I won the championship, second I came I think it was 13th, then in the third I over-performed and got Europa. Yet despite being incredibly grateful for my achievements, the board, the following season, expected me to qualify for the Europa again. And not only that but get to the quarters in the current season, despite never having had any expectation I'd qualify in the first place. It's like I was punished for over-performing. Particularly as fourth season I've just come tenth. Not great, admittedly, but for Villa it's not terrible, surely? Yet I'm in real danger of losing my job.

Now I know what people are going to say, that real life is just as unforgiving, look at Leicester, etc. But for me it just seems excessive. It's not like I got relegated, or even looked like it. I'm comfortably mid-table, with a young squad with real potential. Anyway, I guess I just needed to vent. I've really enjoyed my save, for the most part, grooming young players. And now with some of them starting to flourish, I could be sacked, and I could have wasted all that time for nothing. I feel sad, ha ha.

I also don’t like that when it happens to me. Board might set unrealistic expectations which make your manager job suddenly look unsecure. It’s tough when the reason is because you overachieved previously.

Especially as I get older and my free time is scarce, I always feel like my time playing the first 3-4 season is wasted. If you’re like me then I would just use the in game editor to fix it.

18 minutes ago, torres07 said:

I also don’t like that when it happens to me. Board might set unrealistic expectations which make your manager job suddenly look unsecure. It’s tough when the reason is because you overachieved previously.

Especially as I get older and my free time is scarce, I always feel like my time playing the first 3-4 season is wasted. If you’re like me then I would just use the in game editor to fix it.

Yeah, it's annoying. I'm just about hanging in, at the moment, had to go to two board meetings in the space of like a week (which is also ridiculous; both at the end of the season, nothing changing in-between) and beg to keep my job. I don't have the in game editor though, so maybe if I get sacked I'll just add myself back. But probably not, because it would feel like cheating to me, even though I don't feel like my sacking would have been deserved, if that make sense.

I've had an issue on a previous game where I got my favourite club (Sheff Weds) promoted from the Champo then massively overachieved first season, narrowly missing out on a European place when tipped for relegation. The next season the board expected me to finish top half, however we finished 11th, one point off 10th. You can guess what happened next ;(

I only had accumulated enough of a reputation to get another Champo job off the back of that, but I got my revenge by landing the Brentford job then signing one of Wednesday's top youth prospects and using him to romp to the Championship title. Within a season or two I was pushing the European places in the Prem while they went down. Revenge is sweet :D

4 minutes ago, IbrahimAliMaher said:

I've had an issue on a previous game where I got my favourite club (Sheff Weds) promoted from the Champo then massively overachieved first season, narrowly missing out on a European place when tipped for relegation. The next season the board expected me to finish top half, however we finished 11th, one point off 10th. You can guess what happened next ;(

I only had accumulated enough of a reputation to get another Champo job off the back of that, but I got my revenge by landing the Brentford job then signing one of Wednesday's top youth prospects and using him to romp to the Championship title. Within a season or two I was pushing the European places in the Prem while they went down. Revenge is sweet :D

Ha, ha, nicely played. And to be fair, that's way more ridiculous even than mine. Fair play to you for carrying on. Unfortunately that's not really an option for me as I've set myself the target of winning the champions league with Villa, so would have to start a whole new save. Though not Villa; wouldn't have the energy.

As it stands I think I might be okay, anyway. It's pre-season now, and I'm still here; they only want top half for next season too; so maybe it'll work itself out. We'll see.

4 hours ago, faust405245 said:

So I'm Villa. First season I won the championship, second I came I think it was 13th, then in the third I over-performed and got Europa. Yet despite being incredibly grateful for my achievements, the board, the following season, expected me to qualify for the Europa again. And not only that but get to the quarters in the current season, despite never having had any expectation I'd qualify in the first place. It's like I was punished for over-performing. Particularly as fourth season I've just come tenth. Not great, admittedly, but for Villa it's not terrible, surely? Yet I'm in real danger of losing my job.

Now I know what people are going to say, that real life is just as unforgiving, look at Leicester, etc. But for me it just seems excessive. It's not like I got relegated, or even looked like it. I'm comfortably mid-table, with a young squad with real potential. Anyway, I guess I just needed to vent. I've really enjoyed my save, for the most part, grooming young players. And now with some of them starting to flourish, I could be sacked, and I could have wasted all that time for nothing. I feel sad, ha ha.

You've been at the club four years. Only 7 of the 92 PL and EFL clubs have had their current manager for that long. It's harsh, but realistic - any sign of moving backwards and you're under pressure, as the board (often wrongly) thinks somebody else could revitalise the team.

Didn't you get the option to negotiate the expectations? 

Also, you would probably be given a slightly higher TFR budget with a higher expectation.

That is the exact point why I go journeyman on my saves, you can't win nothing that the board wants you to become the new Juventus of your country. I got sacked on a previous save exactly because I over-achieved. Got a job in the Ligue 1, managed to get Europa league spot in first season, champions in the second, and win 2 cups, and ligue 1 in the third with the supercup, in my last season, all teams simply started to rampage my team for the stars, 6 out of 11 of my starters asked to leave for the big boys, unfortunally I decided to let them leave and bought new players and promote others. After all that the board was expectating me to win the league, get in the final of the cups and round of 16 in champions. I was sacked in december after getting europa league and being 5 in the league :(

Had something similar recently. Won promotion first season with Coventry. Came 5th in the Championship but lost in the play-off semi finals. I had the lowest budget and this was only increased by 50k (which is nothing really) and they come back expecting promotion next season! Scouts tell me I've got 5 players that are good Championship players, the rest are League One and below. I mean I'll give it a go, I'm enjoying this save, but I was fully expecting another fight bravely against relegation expectation.