Sports Interactive Community
Zardoz

What are "big games" in the meaning of the SI FM?

I find often players with the "do not love big games" - attidude. My question is how can I identify matches where it is risky to have such player playing.

I think it is clear that any cup-final is such a "big game". I am also quite sure that a derby against a fierce counterpart is such a "big-game". But what about the semi-final of a league -cup, the quarter-final, or especially a  game which is important to secure a league position? Are only games which trigger special questions by the punidts big games? How can I identify such games?

Example:

My team was rated 18th of 20th in the English premier diviison and now we are 1 point away from slot 7 and the European competitions. There are 4 matches to go. In reality  every of the last 4 matches is a big game (if I do no loose the first machtes :D). However, I have doubts that the game engine can evaluate that. The very last match of the season is against Arsenal in the Emirate stadium. And Arsenal is on slot 6 at the moment with a distance of three points to me. So, in reality the last match against Arsenal could be somethig like a final.  Is that a "big game" if I could reach the EC qualifier with a win or draw according to the game engine?

"There's not really a definitive answer as it is relative and will vary from situation to situation. Examples would be: rivals, significant knock-out rounds, matches that could decide league placement, high reputation matches, etc. Of course there is then relativity within this, one team's "big match" is another's norm, an FA Cup 3rd round tie isn't big until you draw your rivals, and so on. "

That's an answer from SI regarding Important Matches.

Thanks ... I tried to search that but did not find that.

The last match against Arsenal became a massive final. The matches before went not well but also my opponents had problems. So, three teams (My Blackburn Rovers, Tottenham and the Wolfes) with 60 points and  a goal ratio only different by few goals were fighting for slot 6 and 7 on the last match day. As mentioned I "faced the impossible" with Arsenal away, the Wolfes had to fight the Citizens and Tottenham I forgot.

With regard to the questíons of the press it was very very clear that this was a (very) BIG MATCH. So I sorted out all those players with one exemption because I could not replace him. The match was a desaster and my team blown out the stadium with a 5:1 defeat. The defence was a simple not existing and penalised by me afterwrads with wage deductions for 3 of 5 players. I got slot 8. Still, that gave 30 millions € from the FA and the saisons was overall very successfull.

And then some days later I got the message that we qualified for the European Cup with slot 8. After looking on that competition I finally understood that. Tottenham had won the Cup and England got, therefore, another starting place in the Cup. What a stroke of fortune ....

It's not definitive but a sliding scale.

Generally speaking, matches vs. teams with a much higher rep than yours, late knock-out stages, matches vs. rivals, defining matches in a title/promotion/relegation battle, and so on.

It's not binary though, a match isn't either "important" or "not important", some are more important than others. This is obviously also affected by your club, your expectations and your situation. An FA Cup 3rd Round tie is big for some clubs but practically immaterial for others.

Posted (edited)

Fine, that keeps thing similar to real life, a bit indifferent and grey. I appreciate that because it is good simulation and avoids cracking a code and having a an easy mathematical explanation.

Edited by Zardoz