Help me improve my lower league tactic

I'm currently playing as FC Carl Zeiss Jena in the German 3. Liga and after 16 games played we are sitting in 17th place, we're doing a fine enough job defending but we are struggling badly with goalscoring, as a result we end up losing matches we should be drawing to freak goals and lucky set pieces.

Our media prediction ahead of the season was 20th out of 20, so needless to say we are just about the worst team in the league in terms of player quality. With that in mind we are set up in a very conservative way.

How we are lining up at the moment:

LLU3cZf.png

As it stands the IF-A is both our primary goal threat and our best player, averaging a goal just about every second game, on the other side of the spectrum the four other midfielders have only one goal in total, while the two players I've used in the TM-S position have combined for 6 goals.

One change I am considering at the moment is to switch the FB-A over to a WB-A, possibly along with the overlap right instruction, but I have doubts whether the player I have there is good enough to handle a more adventurous role.

I am also considering either playing more direct or further increasing the tempo to make us more incisive in the attack.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions welcome!

I think you have a sound system in place in terms of roles, still I would change the fullbacks to WB(a) on the right and and WB(s) on the left if you go with an Anchorman in the middle. If you chose a support duty role as a holding player I would understand using fullbacks, but right now it's too cautious (especially on cautious mentality). Also your mentality choice coupled with the aggressive out of possession instructions is hard to understand for me. Why go with a lower mentality, but be high and aggressive in defence, counterpress and counter at every opportunity? (I'm not saying it can't work I just never used it like this and I'm interested in your thought process.)

21 hours ago, robot_skeleton said:

Also your mentality choice coupled with the aggressive out of possession instructions is hard to understand for me. Why go with a lower mentality, but be high and aggressive in defence, counterpress and counter at every opportunity? (I'm not saying it can't work I just never used it like this and I'm interested in your thought process.)

Honestly I don't have a better explanation than that it is where trial-and-error has brought me. Out of what I have tested over various saves it seems like the most effective way to defend in the game this year.

Archived