[FM 19] Fola's Career

Fola

I haven't had chance to get a career written up on here on FM 19 but as I have a bit of time on my hands at the moment, I have found some time to play FM again.

t7HpIPT.png

I fancied a change from my previous saves- I usually go for lower league English sides but I have decided to go for Bologna, who ply their trade in the Serie A. We are predicted to finish 16th out of the 20 teams so it will be a tough season but I am looking forward to it.  I have never managed in Italy before as it's always a league that has put me off due to the immense squad sizes and weird loan system.

Since 2000, as you can see below Bologna's history has been relatively steady. A few relegation's followed by a few promotions back up to the top division but all in all, quite a standard Serie A side.

Yqfo8cw.png

I have created 3 tactics which I will be using throughout the season- shortly in this thread I will introduce the squad, the key players, my summer transfers and the three tactics I will be using.

I will be leaving updates every few months- I hope you all enjoy this thread, I am really looking forward to it.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tactics

Throughout this season, I will be using one of the below tactics. These are tactics that I haven't tried out on FM before- I have recently been away and spent the majority of the time bored creating tactics on a notepad so I am hoping they can come good. I have never been too good at FM though so we will see. All tactics will be using the gegen-press as this style of play is a style I admire and should put the proverbial 'cat amongst the pigeons'  in the Serie A which is well known for its slower pace of football.

KAbrJgf.png

The high defensive line will leave space for the sweeper keeper to come off his line and receive any long balls. The centre backs will need to be good with the ball at their feet and will mainly be feeding the balls into the IWB's or the DLP. The HB will slot into the back line at times to make it a back 3. The MEZ will drift wide, occupying the space left by the IWB will be come in side to offer support. The DLP will drop into the hole created by the HB dropping into defence and can then feed the ball to the EG. The EG in this formation is a key man for me- he will rarely move from this position and will be supplemented by the two SS who will play off his shoulder. Curious to see how this one works.

O7LzBWm.png

This tactic will probably be my most common used. Again like the previous tactic, the high line will give the opportunity for the keeper to sweep up behind the defence. Having alternate IWB/WB and the IF/W will mean the IWB can come inside when attacking while the WB can slot into the space attacking when the IF moves inside. The DLP can come deep to collect the ball from the DLP while the MZ can freely roam across the midfield. We will then be using a SS who will alternate roles with the DLF who will slot into the space- I predict that the SS will be my main attacking threat here.

4uZ3wCD.png

My last tactic and one that we only be used sparsely but does look quite fun. Again the same SK and BPD rules as previously. Ahead of them will be two IWB's who can come centrally to help the DLP in the midfield who will drop in to receive the ball from the BPD's. As the IWB's have slotted into the midfield this will leave space for the wingers to stay as wide as possible. Up top the DLF will be dropping back to slot in the CAM role while the PF will harrass their CB's while the poacher will feed off the scraps.

That's the logic of them all, lets see how they work!

Edited by Fola

Summer Transfers - Season 18/19

I will introduce my new signings and then give you a look at the squad. We had minimal transfer and wage budget so have had to delve into the free transfer market on occasion. All of these players have been brought in purely for a purpose of filling one of the player roles from the above tactics. They may only fit into one tactic so may not play that often however if we decide to go for a different tactic, they will fit into the system.

Starting with the outs:

mXqTjSl.png

These two were more suited to standard CB roles. As you can see with the roles above, the two CB's need to be BPD's in all of my systems so I let these two go.

EmHSGKx.png

No money spent but some good additions to the squad- even if they only play a handful of games this season.

YdIa7WT.png

Will come in as a back up EG if we decide to go with our strikerless formation.

rJWr631.png

Bit of a footballing legend. Can play as a poacher if we go with our three up top formation or also as a DLF if we play the formation with the SS and the DLF.

hIpdPSZ.png

BPD who will fit in well at CB if there are any injuries. May also be able to fill in as a HB in the CDM role if needed.

gCF9XpB.png

Can play both LWB/RWB as an IWB. As the majority of my tactics use IWB I am happy to bring him in. IWB isn't his natural role however he should be OK to play there.

I will post the squad next and my key players and then get the season started.

Meet the squad - Season 18/19

Below will be the 25 man squad that I will be using this season. There are a few other players that have been removed and placed in the under 20 squad and transfer listed as they do not fit into any of the tactical roles I would like. The transfer window has shut now for the summer but I will hopefully be able to get rid of the few of them in January.

CauQFG3.png
EnPebm5.png

As you can see, we are relying on quite a high number of loans this season and I do have quite an ageing squad at my disposal. If we can manage to stay clear of relegation, I will be happy. I'll post a few of my key men below. If anybody wants any screenshots of any particular players please let me know.

fW0DcXC.png

My starting GK. Needs to perform well in the SK role as that is a big role in all of my tactics.

dDIa3t6.png

Perfect player in the HB role in the strikerless tactic. May struggle to find a role for him despite his great attributes in my other tactics.

YRnayDs.png

On loan here but a key player in all three tactics. He will be a MZ in the two man midfields but if I ever go for the attacking tactic with the one man midfield, he will be that man. A lot pinning on this guy.

OnxVrPp.png

Experienced midfielder who will be my starting DLP when playing a 2 man midfield. Will be on the bench if I go for a one man due to his physicals.

o7vTkUo.png

A key man in all of my tactics. He will be the starting EG in my striker tactic while he will be the DLF or SS in the other tactics. He's not got many seasons left in him but I have a feeling he can still cut it at this level despite being 36.

RDmk5dA.png

This man takes up our only Non-EU slot. Unfortunately, we do not play with target men so he may be moved on come January. Trying to re-train him as a SS for the strikerless tactic.

4fDvvOu.png

Our highest paid player and a bit of a beast. Trying to re-train him as a SS but in the other two tactics he's a capable poacher or DLF.

Lets get this seasons started!

August '18 - September '18

K44bsyY.png

Not a bad start at all. I knew it would be a struggle in this league but we have more than held our own and came away with some positive results- especially the Parma win and the draw away at AC Milan.

We got knocked out of the cup against Perugia from the league below but not bothered too be honest- don't want any other distractions other than the league.

I have mostly used the strikerless tactic and then also the 4-2-3-1 tactic on occasions.

nzWWSNj.png

The passing network for the strikerless tactic has worked well. The CB's splitting well and bringing the ball out of the defence. Due to the compact nature of the tactic, we do tend to have the lions share of the possession. 

r7bSkq2.png

As you can see the passing network for the 4-2-3-1 tactic is much more attacking. The CB's pushing up higher with the wingers giving us width and the DLF and SS working well.

rcaE9xI.png

October 2018

dESK5D6.png

Fingers crossed for no injuries. All key players for me. Donsah has been out with a broken leg and not managed a game for yet- I will be fuming if he gets injured on international duty.

October 2018

hnnxdqh.png

As part of my new contract I managed to get a larger wage budget which in course helped me improve the transfer budget.

I have sent a number of scouts over the world and this was a find that excited me massively. Yes it's a lot of money for a 16 year old but in the future I am hoping he can be a great replacement for Rodrigo Palacio. He will join us at the start of January.

k1eQc3U.png

Edited by Fola

November 2018

R3fUn6N.png

Another exciting youngster signed up to join us in January. Will slot in perfectly as a BPD. Maybe not ready for first team football yet but great stats for a 17 year old- Italian too!

kDnTiHz.png

October '18 - November '18

s2g35f5.png

An amazing two months which helped on its way to getting me a new deal and which will see Silva and Angileri join the club. Along with the draw against AC Milan in September, we are now 7 matches unbeaten.

Highlights of the past two months have to be Adam Nagy's last minute winner against Genoa from 30 yards and also the dismantling of Chievo which saw 39 year old Diego Forlan score his first goal for the club.

Juventus up next so I have a feeling I will be brought back down to earth after a great few months.

F4seEc4.png

December 2018

kW75umd.png

It's a weird one this one. He actually is a vert talented player and an Italian international but I've decided to let him go. We have an abundance of quality in midfield and he's not attacking enough for my tactics- I don't have a BWM so there was no place for him here.

oat9INo.png

December 2018

ZnAEpkX.png

Niko Krancjar will be heading back to his homeland in Croatia after less than 6 months in Italy. He came in as a back up as an Enganche for Rodrigo Palacio however he never really got a look in and only made 2 substitute appearances.

December 2018

pZu4ruu.png

Signed up Kingsley Michael to a new long term deal. He is currently on loan in the league below and is doing well. I will be looking to integrate him into the first team next season.

IrO5vMB.png

December 2018

Ctjjflr.png

I really don't want to lose him. I have offered him a new deal to stay here so I will have to wait and see. Despite being 36 he's been a great player for me and he's our top scorer so far. I hope the lure of returning to Argentina isn't too big for him.

December 2018

MeL3Azt.png

Well and truly been brought back to earth after going 7 matches unbeaten over October and November.

We were unlucky against Juventus and Lazio however we were very poor in our next three matches. Nice to grab a win against Cagliari. 

I have signed a few people on pre-contract deals for January- some very exciting signings which I will post up soon.

tRC9cTJ.png

January 2019

o7wDiH9.png

Absolutely gutted. He's been a massive player for me and I am sure he will be for the next 6 months before he leaves.

I offered him £40k a week so nearly double what he has accepted at Independiente but the lure of going back home must of been too much for him.

IP5yfSz.png

Edited by Fola

January 2019 - Transfers

Over the summer I decided to try and recruit experienced heads to try and hope that this experience would help push me away from the relegation zone. Overall, I am currently very happy with the squad that I have.

When I got given a new deal I requested an improvement in the wage budget and this allowed me to spend on players in January- this along with the sale on Poli. As I am happy with the squad, all of the players I have brought in are for the future.

jAgNiFA.png

Some may work out, some may not but we will see. I would like to hope that even if they don't work out here then I can at least make a profit on some of them.

The thing that has excited me most about these players are that as they are so young, I can mould them exactly into the kind of player I want them to be to fit into my tactics.

pWVbzeo.png

Surely he's got to be a future Italian international defender. Those stats for a 17 year old are out of this world- I will be looking to give him some first team action this season. Going to try and remove the PI of long range passes.

wW9rS8P.png

Young keeper who may become good but currently nowhere near the first team. Will need to improve his SK attributes if he wants to make it here- maybe one I could sell for a profit. Liking the determination attribute.

A5LslYt.png

Not too sure about this one. Cheap enough to be worth the gamble but doesn't look like a player who will make it here. Hopefully can sell for a profit down the line.

KcsM9Uc.png

Determination 20 was the pull factor here. Technically looks like a very good player- excited about this guy.

x8il774.png

At 20 he's a little bit older than the rest of my recruits but should fit in well as a BPD in my system. May get a few games this season- nice to see a Brit trying his luck abroad.

n0tthDu.png

Another Brit has tried his luck abroad with scouser Paul Glatzel trying his luck in Italy. At 17 his stats look quite impressive- good few years here and maybe a few loan spells in the league below and we will see what happens. 20 determination.

8VKibZQ.png

The only one out of these signings that I expect to go straight into the first team. At 16 I expect this guy to be a great player for us in the future. I will look to extend his deal at the end of the season as I can see many other sides sniffing round him in the future. Will be interesting to see how he develops.

5gfdt6z.png

His passing really needs to improve if he is going to make it here. Maybe one I can sell for a profit down the line.

7l0PkuS.png

Technically this guy looks pretty impressive. Will be interesting to see how he improves- maybe another to sell for profit. Think I might look to loan him out.

bc9EfbV.png

Another one who should be sniffing around the first team this season. Managed a few matches in the top division in Portugal already this season- doubt he will be a world beater but may do a solid job for me in a few seasons time.

Edited by Fola
Date change

January 2019

zOsvFdK.png

He's out on loan until the end of our current season with Montreal Impact in the MLS. He has bagged 9 goals for them in 28 appearances, I am very excited about the exciting number of youngsters we have coming through.

TJhKTfk.png

January 2019

XKgDmu6.png

Bournemouth were sniffing round him along with Southampton so I decided to sign up to a new deal. Not fully decided whether he will be here long term but for now I plan on keeping him.

He's only started once for me this season and has come off the bench 8 times for me, scoring 3 goals.

Edited by Fola

January 2019

TWP0zVg.png

I have raided Palermo for another one of their promising youngsters. This guy is another player who I feel could be a key player for me in a few seasons time. He would be perfect for me in the HB role.

thz7c98.png 

January 2019

m9ln0iT.png

David Zurutuza has joined us on loan until the end of the season as a replacement for the departing Niko Kranjcar. 

He will be the EG in my strikerless tactic. If he does well, he could be the ideal for Rodrigo Palacio who is leaving in the summer.

S7bowc0.png

January 2019

PK3QYG8.png

A good player but one who unfortunately does not fit into any of my tactics. He's only managed 3 appearances this season and he's one of highest earners.

I will look to ship him out in the summer- hopefully he can bag a few goals in the Premier League and we may be able to rekindle the £5.5 million that the club paid for him.

8zReTre.png

January 2019

CrViO0Y.png

Another one snapped up for the future. I will look to loan him out to a side in the league below this season and then next season hopefully he can force his way into the first team.

lrNWupl.png

January 2019

0XvZMQX.png

Sent a few of the youngsters that I have just bought out on loan until the end of the season. Diego Falcinelli has been sent out on loan to Parma until the end of the season. He's a good striker but another one who doesn't fit into my tactics.

He has only managed one substitute appearance for us. 

1DmJaOR.png

Edited by Fola

January '19 - February '19 

OawSBsl.png

Much better few months compared to December. We were unlucky against Napoli and were terrible against Parma but apart from that I am very happy.

The 3-0 win against Roma was fantastic- probably our best of the season.

Don't want to jinx it but unless something goes drastically wrong then we should definitely avoid relegation this season.

vNLOGsN.png

12 hours ago, john1 said:

Interesting team to pick :) Doing quite well so far and good signings!

Great to see you back!! :brock:

Cheers mate. We’re doing much better than expected- just hope we can finish the season strong and maybe be able to push on for a place in the Europa League. However, just staying up this season is an achievement.

March 2019

Xh9SINw.png

I'm going to really miss Rodrigo Palacio when he leaves in the summer. I hope he can have a good influence on the younger players before he leaves.

Edited by Fola

March 2019

OhCHkXM.png

Delighted to make Federico Mattiello's contract a permanent one after I forked out roughly around £4 million for him.

As an inverted wing back he can play either at RWB or LWB and he's been one of my best players this season. He's played every match for me this season and at 24, I am sure he will only improve.

Q9u6UJ3.png

March '19 - April '19

20fLW8f.png

On paper it doesn't look the best of few months but overall I am quite happy. We faced some tough sides and certainly didn't disgrace ourselves but it would of been nice to come away with draws against Inter, AC, Lazio and Juventus but it just wasn't to be.

At the start of the season, I stated that it was my aim to stay in this league and with 4 games to go we are sitting in 10th position which is great.

In the final four matches I will look to play some of my younger players and see how they do. I decided to give Paul Glatzel a start against Torino and he managed to get himself a goal so that was very pleasing.

I will get the season finished then give you a look at my squad over the season and my plans for next season.

jiXIKGW.png

May '19

3AJVr7u.png

We face bottom of the table Empoli next and I have decided to play my ultra attacking formation for this game as well as embedded a number of youngsters into the squad- lets see how this goes!

Edited by Fola

May '19

mveft0z.png

Would of been nice to get more goals but it was complete domination.

3A4NU1l.png

Delighted to see 16 year old Fabio Silva get his first professional goal. I have been slowly feeding him into the side and he's struggled but delighted he managed to score.

Edited by Fola

May '19 - End of season

yryeMzI.png

Excellent last four matches of the season as we won every match and saw us cement our position in tenth place.

15 wins out of 38 is something I am very happy with.

I will provide stats on my players shortly and highlight my plans for the future.

iagrn40.png

Season 18/19 - Player season stats

dgf12ZJ.jpg

Goalkeepers

YvSWXdO.png

Lukasz Skorupski was my starting goalkeeper for every single match this season. I was very impressed with him this season and he will be my number one again next season. Antonio Santurro is my number two goalkeeper and is an adequate replacement. Alessio Furlanetto is only 17 years old and is one for the future.

Defenders

suKuniJ.png

My defensive back four remained pretty consistent throughout the season. Arturo Calabresi and Giancarlo Gonzalez created a great partnership as my two BPD's and did very well- this meant Johan Djourou had to make do with a back up role this season. At LB or LWB as an IWB we had Federico Mattiello who we have managed to sign on a permanent deal. Ibrahima Mbaye was my starting RB and was another strong performer for us- also managed to get six assists to his name. Due to the form of Mattiello and Mbaye, Inigo Lekue had to make do with a bit part role. Lyanco was here on loan and was more of a standard centre back and could not play as a BPD so he didn't get much gametime.

Midfielders and Strikers

1oRjj00.png

My main two centre midfielders this season were the experienced Blerim Dzemaili and Roberto Soriano. Dzemaili played every game for me and was integral to how we played. I would love to sign Roberto Soriano on a permanent deal but Villarreal are wanting £12 million for him and unfortunately that is way out of my price range so he will be leaving in the summer which is a massive shame. Erick Pulgar was more a rotational player for me as he only played when I played with a CDM- he has a few teams from England interested in him so we will see what happens with him this summer.  Gennaro Ruggiero was a January recruit and at 18 did well when called upon.

Adam Nagy was very unlucky for me this season. When he featured off the bench he didn't do much wrong but due to the form of Soriano and Dzemaili he had to make do as a back up player. Godfred Donsah is another one who is a talented player but never got a look in. David Zurutuza came in as a replacement for Rodrigo Palacio and did well but I am undecided whether I will looking to make his loan move permanent. Xavi Sintes and Sergio Arribas are ones for the future. Mattias Svanberg was a player who surprised me and did very well as a SS in the CAM role. He actually second top goalscorer with six goals which we will need to improve on next season.

Ladislav Krejci was very unlucky not to play more but he only got a chance when we played with wingers. He ended the season as my top goalscorer and has a few sides sniffing round him and I would definitely like to keep him here. Pelayo Morilla is only 17 and did very well when called upon. Riccardo Orsolini is on loan here from Juventus and I would love to keep him but they are asking for £10 million which like Soriano, I just cant afford. Nicola Sansone was more of a rotation player but did well and managed five goals for me.

Rodrigo Palacio was one of my favourite players this season and will be leaving us in the summer. At 37 years old he is still good enough at this level so its a real shame to be losing him. Diego Forlan did well, even if it was mainly substitute appearances. Youngsters Fabio Silva and Paul Glatzel did well in the few games they played and they can only improve. Mattia Destro was somewhat of a disappointment and as our highest earner on £64k a week- I will be looking to move him on. Lorenzo Colombo didn't make an appearance but was on the bench a few times.

Federico Santander spent the second half of the season out on loan at Premier League side Burnley and grabbed 8 goals so should be able to cash in for him in the summer. Diego Falcinelli featured ten times for Parma and scored twice so hopefully they will look to make his loan move permanent.

13 hours ago, psychonaut said:

Solid season there. Better to finish safe than relegated :) 

Very true. I have a lot of players returning from loans and players leaving so I can see it being a very eventful summer transfer window. I would like to think we could push on again next season but all really depends on budgets and the amount of players I am able to bring in to improve the squad. Should get a few more updates in later tonight hopefully.

June '19 - End of season awards

TpbI6Jm.png

Delighted for Arturo Calabresi- him and Giancarlo Gonzalez formed a great partnership. Hoping for the same next season. 

Hopefully a call up for the Italian squad on the cards.

9V3UNDM.png

Superb season and what a way to end the season with wins :thup: It's a shame you couldn't convince Forlan, to delay his retirement but being in his 40 is understandable to retire :D