Everything TOTAL Football (From Cruyff's 343 to Guardiola's Overloads) - UPDATED Feb 28, 2023

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also liked the idea you focus play down the opposite side of the overload. Thats how i understand exploiting too... I made a 4 33 0 on last years with Ajax with two Raumdueters, and focused play down one side and my LW one banged in a lot of goals. 

56 minutes ago, craigd84 said:

I also liked the idea you focus play down the opposite side of the overload. Thats how i understand exploiting too... I made a 4 33 0 on last years with Ajax with two Raumdueters, and focused play down one side and my LW one banged in a lot of goals. 

I tried focusing on the side of the overload at first and it didn't work as well. So settled on focusing on opposite side.

On 15/06/2019 at 00:29, crusadertsar said:

Hammer and Anvil – The concept of Tactical Envelopment

envelop.gif?w=620

This reminds me of my current total war campaign (and every total war campaign actually). Since I am fond of using The Art of War to generate ideas for how to manage, I approve of using battle tactics in football!

I think your first and third points are key. I usually avoid using asymmetry in tactics, as it will affect my defensive shape as much as my attacking, and this can cause issues all on its own.

Looking at the figure I quoted, I think you have highlighted an absolutely key point that a lot of people may miss when they are learning the game. Football is a team sport. They attack as a unit, and so you need to consider the entire formation. Players are your units. What is each player doing, and how does it help you win? How is the opposition going to respond to what you are doing and how can you exploit that. Creating overloads to drag a defense out of position and create space on a different area of the pitch is absolutely critical for creating successful tactics. Especially for managing top sides, when you have to create your own space.

To give a specific example of one of the common ways I do this. I pair an IF(A), FB(A) on the same flank, and on the same side of the midfield I have a playmaker. Attacking down that flank will concentrate 3 players (4 if you have a support role for your striker and he moves into the half space). This will draw defenders to one side, which automatically creates space in the center and the opposite side of the pitch. You then have roles such as CM(A), BBM(S), W(S), IF(S) on the opposite flank to exploit this. A DM who sits and holds to act as a pivot helps. This would be something similar to the top right example in the quoted picture. Fix the force on one side, attack it on the other.

I would love to see other people share how they create overloads too, I think it would be very beneficial to anyone who is learning how to think globally with player positions, roles and duties.

15 hours ago, ivanbox said:

Good work!

What about City current tactic? Any advices?

Thanks! If you are trying to recreate Man City, I would use either Sane or Sterling as the attacking flanking force to unlock the opponent defence. While at same time concentrate your playmakers on the opposite side. So use Silva in deeper position as Mezzala and Debruyne (subbed by Foden) on the wing. De Brunei even comes with handy "likes to switch ball to the other side" trait.

@sporadicsmiles Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Couldn't agree more with you on the army analogy and the importance of thinking of the whole team as a group of unit. I'm thinking of doing more military crossover tactics maybe :)

And also thanks for giving example of how you create overloads. I like your method. Would love to see how others create overloads as well.

Hi and thanks for your article!

I don't understand very well the defense part.

If opposition attacks on the right (so your left side or hammer side), who defend? The wing back? Because I suppose the Raumdeuter doesn't participate a lot to defensive work.

If opposite team plays with a winger on the right, it could be difficult for your team in transition phases, right?

3 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Thanks! If you are trying to recreate Man City, I would use either Sane or Sterling as the attacking flanking force to unlock the opponent defence. While at same time concentrate your playmakers on the opposite side. So use Silva in deeper position as Mezzala and Debruyne (subbed by Foden) on the wing. De Brunei even comes with handy "likes to switch ball to the other side" trait.

Thanks! I will try!

4 hours ago, rouflaquettes31 said:

Hi and thanks for your article!

I don't understand very well the defense part.

If opposition attacks on the right (so your left side or hammer side), who defend? The wing back? Because I suppose the Raumdeuter doesn't participate a lot to defensive work.

If opposite team plays with a winger on the right, it could be difficult for your team in transition phases, right?

I understand your concern but that is why I had a holding midfield to compensate for wingback and raumdeuter being more offensive. I actually switched from bbm to dlp on that side. And it helps switching the tactic depending on the opposition.  I will use my raumdeuter and wingback always on the side where opponent has weaker, aka slower winger or wingback. Also the whole point of overloads is to expose the ai so if they actually use enough players to threaten me on my raumdeuter flank, then chances are that they will be destroyed on the side that I'm overloading.  It's a sort of catch 22 for ai. On that side I have 5 or at times 6 players. I never see AI ignore such threat. So in other words, I wouldn't worry too much about their counterattacks

Ok! It's often the same question : put a 'defensive' winger to defend against dangerous wing back,

or put a dangerous winger to prevent opposite wing back to attack. You choose the second one ;-)

Anyway, your article gives me some ideas to improve my tactic. Thank you!

On 18/06/2019 at 08:03, sporadicsmiles said:

I would love to see other people share how they create overloads too, I think it would be very beneficial to anyone who is learning how to think globally with player positions, roles and duties

Okay, let's assume I want to build attacks on the left before switching play to the right for my players attacking the space(s) there. One possible way can be:

4-4-2

DLFsu    PO

WMsu    DLPsu    CMde     Wat

FBsu       CD      C  D      WBde

4141DM Wide

DLFsu

APsu                                    Wat

CAR     CMat

HB

FBat       CD      CD       IWBde

4231 (the most risky and hence tricky one)

PFsu

IFsu             TQ              RMD

DLPsu     CMde

FBat       CD      CD       IWBsu

I think the idea is clear. Of course, besides roles and duties, team and player instructions will also play an important part. When I look to base a tactic on overloads, the Play out of defence TI is a must. Other instructions can vary. I also tend to use the overlap on the more attacking side in order to reduce the mentality gap between the fullback and his more advanced attack-duty partner, but that's just my personal preference and is clearly not necessary (especially not necessary in the last 4231 example, since the IWB is on support rather than defend duty, meaning he'll be exactly where I want him without a need for the overlap TI).

@Experienced Defender Thanks for sharing! Those are great setups. Good call on Overlap instruction. Also was wondering what your reason is for making "Play out of defense" essential? I figure it's good building up possession slowly. But I figured that to keep possession on the overloaded side Control mentality and support duties would be sufficient. But maybe I'll need to add it to my tactic

13 hours ago, rouflaquettes31 said:

Ok! It's often the same question : put a 'defensive' winger to defend against dangerous wing back,

or put a dangerous winger to prevent opposite wing back to attack. You choose the second one ;-)

Anyway, your article gives me some ideas to improve my tactic. Thank you!

Glad it helped with your tactic :) And yes I'm a believer that good offense is the best defense 

1 hour ago, crusadertsar said:

Also was wondering what your reason is for making "Play out of defense" essential? I figure it's good building up possession slowly. But I figured that to keep possession on the overloaded side Control mentality and support duties would be sufficient. But maybe I'll need to add it to my tactic

Your assumption is basically spot on - it does have to do with possession-based styles. Because when I use overloads as a tactical weapon, I do it only in situations when I look to control the match and dominate. And when I say "possession" football, I do not refer only to patient possession styles like tiki-taka, but to all that imply controlling the game. In fact, I never play slow and patient possession styles - I am a fan of hardcore English/British football :D

On the other hand, I don't see much point in using overloads when I (want to) play rather defensive and counter-attacking football, simply because I don't want to keep possession in any area of the pitch for too long. Instead, I want to have as fast transitions as possible.

14 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Okay, let's assume I want to build attacks on the left before switching play to the right for my players attacking the space(s) there. One possible way can be:

4-4-2

DLFsu    PO

WMsu    DLPsu    CMde     Wat

FBsu       CD      C  D      WBde

I find this setup quite interesting. Now I actually just watched BTN video on Overloads.

Spoiler

So the theory here, is that the overloading side is on attack in order to draw defenders and midfielders out of position in order to make room for the right side attacking the empty space. Now this is done with midfielders on attack duty. So im curious to see how well supporting roles can/will do the same thing. Are defenders really going to be threatened and leave their position against a DLP and WM on support?

Have you actually tried this, or is it just theory crafting? If you haven't I might do the experiment when i get home. 

BONUS INFO: I am currently managing FC Nordsjælland (as they are pretty much a danish discount version of Ajax) trying out almost the exact 4-4-1-1 shown in the video with great success as they really have great players for this.

On 18/06/2019 at 02:03, sporadicsmiles said:

To give a specific example of one of the common ways I do this. I pair an IF(A), FB(A) on the same flank, and on the same side of the midfield I have a playmaker. Attacking down that flank will concentrate 3 players (4 if you have a support role for your striker and he moves into the half space). This will draw defenders to one side, which automatically creates space in the center and the opposite side of the pitch. You then have roles such as CM(A), BBM(S), W(S), IF(S) on the opposite flank to exploit this. A DM who sits and holds to act as a pivot helps. This would be something similar to the top right example in the quoted picture. Fix the force on one side, attack it on the other.

This is very similar to the overload I created by accident. My setup is loosely based on van Gaal's 1998/99 Barcelona team with Rivaldo, Figo, Guardiola, Kluivert, Luis Enrique, Cocu, etc. I set this up thinking the IF(A) and CM(A) would be goal scorers but they have turned into the creators. I score a lot of goals because the IF, MEZ and WB overload the left side so when they pass back to the right the CM(A), W(S) and PF(S) are usually in a 3v2 situation. My CM(A) leads the team in assists and the PF(S) and W(S) lead the team in goals. 

PF(S)

IF(A)                                   W(S)

MEZ(S)     CM(A)

DLP(D)

WB(S)       CD      CD       FB(S)

Edited by andrewsgn

5 hours ago, Purplejesus said:

So the theory here, is that the overloading side is on attack in order to draw defenders and midfielders out of position in order to make room for the right side attacking the empty space. Now this is done with midfielders on attack duty. So im curious to see how well supporting roles can/will do the same thing. Are defenders really going to be threatened and leave their position against a DLP and WM on support?

In this video, Rashidi offered 3 different examples of an overload. The one you are referring to is the only one where attack duties were used to create an overload. In the other two, the overloads were created by support duties (coupled with appropriate roles, such as PM, MEZ, DLF). So there are different types of overload, depending on where and how you want to create it.

5 hours ago, Purplejesus said:

Have you actually tried this, or is it just theory crafting? If you haven't I might do the experiment when i get home

I've tried this particular type of overload (the 442 one) with Brighton on several occasions. It has not worked equally successfully every single time, but can always be improved with a couple of tweaks.

Here's an example of the overload I mentioned a few posts above. By overloading the left we are able to create a goal with a few simple passes back to the right.

Hourihane (DLP-D) plays a ball out to my left back, Taylor (WB-S). Norwich is playing a 4-2-3-1 and are narrow and compact with all but their striker behind the ball.

20190620104047_1.thumb.jpg.afc9cd9387a2328bab04862ba99fd0fc.jpg

Taylor cuts the ball back to Lansbury (MEZ-S). El Ghazi (IF-A) is just inside of Lansbury. Both of Norwich's DM's have shifted over.

20190620104204_1.thumb.jpg.9c84567a3dca49ae350f088e016b98bb.jpg

El Ghazi stops his run and Lansbury plays a simple ball to him. Because the DM's have shifted we have a 3v2 with Grealish (CM-A) unmarked right at the edge of the box.

20190620104224_1.thumb.jpg.b2b35390835dcb93ea4490b25ce7c63c.jpg

El Ghazi plays the ball to Grealish who taps it over to Bolasie (W-S) who has a clear shot and scores the goal. 

20190620104351_1.thumb.jpg.46388b2bc7915aee0a72fec8e0c845b3.jpg

As I mentioned I kind of stumbled into this but it's proving very effective. Granted, Aston Villa are one of the stronger Championship teams, but we've scored 38 goals so far in 15 matches. My AMR's (Bolasie and Adomah as W-S) have combined for 11 goals. My striker, Abraham, has 11 goals and 5 assists. Grealish leads the team with 7 assists as CM(A).  

52 minutes ago, andrewsgn said:

Here's an example of the overload I mentioned a few posts above. By overloading the left we are able to create a goal with a few simple passes back to the right.

Hourihane (DLP-D) plays a ball out to my left back, Taylor (WB-S). Norwich is playing a 4-2-3-1 and are narrow and compact with all but their striker behind the ball.

20190620104047_1.thumb.jpg.afc9cd9387a2328bab04862ba99fd0fc.jpg

Taylor cuts the ball back to Lansbury (MEZ-S). El Ghazi (IF-A) is just inside of Lansbury. Both of Norwich's DM's have shifted over.

20190620104204_1.thumb.jpg.9c84567a3dca49ae350f088e016b98bb.jpg

El Ghazi stops his run and Lansbury plays a simple ball to him. Because the DM's have shifted we have a 3v2 with Grealish (CM-A) unmarked right at the edge of the box.

20190620104224_1.thumb.jpg.b2b35390835dcb93ea4490b25ce7c63c.jpg

El Ghazi plays the ball to Grealish who taps it over to Bolasie (W-S) who has a clear shot and scores the goal. 

20190620104351_1.thumb.jpg.46388b2bc7915aee0a72fec8e0c845b3.jpg

As I mentioned I kind of stumbled into this but it's proving very effective. Granted, Aston Villa are one of the stronger Championship teams, but we've scored 38 goals so far in 15 matches. My AMR's (Bolasie and Adomah as W-S) have combined for 11 goals. My striker, Abraham, has 11 goals and 5 assists. Grealish leads the team with 7 assists as CM(A).  

What Mentality/TI/PI do you use? Is it possible that it affected on CM(A)/IF(A) to create chances and W(S)/PF(S) to score goals?

24 minutes ago, dokera said:

What Mentality/TI/PI do you use? Is it possible that it affected on CM(A)/IF(A) to create chances and W(S)/PF(S) to score goals?

This is my current setup:

Capture.thumb.PNG.9e020e6e22d0c36f0b3b3fcbcd69ccf8.PNG

I drop Overlap Left when I use a WB(S) as DL. The WB(D) is something I'm experimenting with as I find WB(S) crosses too much and Taylor is not a good crosser or dribbler. I was also a little vulnerable on this flank with an IF(A) and MEZ(S).

For PI's:

IF(A) - Sit Narrower, Roam From Position, Close Down More

W(S) - Close Down More

MEZ(S) - Close Down More

CM(A) - Roam From Position, Close Down More

DLP(D) - Take More Risks, Close Down Less

FB(S) - Sit Narrower, Take Fewer Risks

16 hours ago, andrewsgn said:

I drop Overlap Left when I use a WB(S) as DL. The WB(D) is something I'm experimenting with as I find WB(S) crosses too much and Taylor is not a good crosser or dribbler. I was also a little vulnerable on this flank with an IF(A) and MEZ(S).

For PI's:

W(S) - Close Down More

MEZ(S) - Close Down More

Sometimes simplicity is most effective. Great set up

I don't think I properly understood the concept of overloading until I read this. I've tried implementing a few of these player role suggestions into my gameplan and I've definitely noticed more space opening up on the opposite flank. Really good post, cheers!

9 hours ago, Ugeine said:

I don't think I properly understood the concept of overloading until I read this. I've tried implementing a few of these player role suggestions into my gameplan and I've definitely noticed more space opening up on the opposite flank. Really good post, cheers!

Thats awesome mate! Makes me happy that I was able to help you

• 4 months later...

With inspiration from this excellent thread (thanks crusadertsar) and a few others I created a 4-1-2-3 tactic for Marseille in order to try and consistently isolate opposition defenders our best player by a mile - Thauvin.

As you can see from the screenshots below- it worked pretty well!!

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 9.25.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 9.29.23 AM.png

Also ended up with wins in the French Cup and the Ligue Cup for a Domestic Treble in the first season. 

The tactic used the combination of a FB(A), BBM(S) and AP(A) on the left to circulate possession then releasing Thauvin as a Trequartista from the RW position.  I found the Trequartista role to have excellent movement for this purpose, it uses aggressive vertical runs but does not cut in as early as Inside Forwards, or stay as wide and isolated as a Winger.  The full set-up is below.

A really fun season, and I would say Thauvin is one of the best players I have managed on FM19, he is an absolute monster of a player and loyal also - not interested in Man U or Real's advances after his insane first season! 

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 8.49.03 AM.png

These are the sort of threads i love to read. Smart, readable and gives much more insight than the regular "plug & play". BustTheNet videos have also enlightened me on overloads and i agree that putting so many players on one flank to "create overloads" is not necessarily the best option. There are useful alternatives like you've pointed out in the above. I'm using presently a IFsu, Volat,Wbat and a roaming CFsu to create such on a flank to free up my Wat, so it is effective. Using playmakers is good, but IFsu naturally have "vision" as one of their "attribute" requirements and they switch ball to other flanks if they spot a runner, regardless. So wide playmakers can have alternatives in an IF. 

Wanted to reiterate that this is excellent as a thread. Callejon is my "freed up player" and he's been 8 goals and 7 assists in 16 games so far(FM19). Expecting more threads.

@denen123 Thanks for the kind words mate! Im glad you enjoyed it and found it useful. Hopefully the concepts will still be applicable to Fm20. @Rashidi bustthenet videos were one of my inspirations for this actually. Loved the elegant way he would create overloads. In real life Pep emulated Marcelo Bielsa's approach to overloads. I actually took the concept of overloads to the source in my new thread about Manchester United using Bielsa style tactic. There I will be expanding upon the idea of using roles to create overloads. So if you liked this one you might like that thread too :)

Edited by crusadertsar

Very nice and useful thread, never thought about overloading until now. I am managing RB Leipzig, it's still early season but I managed to play 442 and still keep improving my tactic. So reading this thread, I thought about this setup:

DLFs     PFa

RMDa

IWs             MEZa    DLPs

IWBs           BPDd    CDd          WBa

SKs

So what do you think about this?

8 hours ago, Bakiano said:

Very nice and useful thread, never thought about overloading until now. I am managing RB Leipzig, it's still early season but I managed to play 442 and still keep improving my tactic. So reading this thread, I thought about this setup:

DLFs     PFa

RMDa

IWs             MEZa    DLPs

IWBs           BPDd    CDd          WBa

SKs

So what do you think about this?

That looks very nice set up for unlocking your Raumdeuter. Pressing forward is a good alternative to advanced forward especially if you have a hard working physical player. I love it. I like what you are doing on the left side with inverted wingback, mezzala and inverted winger. But i would also go as far as inverting the other wingback also to draw the opposing winger or fullback away from right wing and into the middle. I've been experimenting with dual inverted wingbacks in fm20 and i think it's going to make this system even better. Planning to post something about it on my Manchester United thread soon. Cheers!

19 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

That looks very nice set up for unlocking your Raumdeuter. Pressing forward is a good alternative to advanced forward especially if you have a hard working physical player. I love it. I like what you are doing on the left side with inverted wingback, mezzala and inverted winger. But i would also go as far as inverting the other wingback also to draw the opposing winger or fullback away from right wing and into the middle. I've been experimenting with dual inverted wingbacks in fm20 and i think it's going to make this system even better. Planning to post something about it on my Manchester United thread soon. Cheers!

Well, I made a little changes from the initially setuo. I changed the left IWBs to FBs and DLPs to DLPd because I played against an opponent that used two strikers and one AMC. I won the game 1-2, was playing away against weaker team,and both goals came from the left side. Didnt like the right WBa, lost the ball many times. Maybe will try him as a IWB but don't know what duty to use him.

As for the PF, I have two strikers that are primary PF(Werner and Poulsen).

My left IW is Forsberg who has ppm to flank to the other side which is very helpful like you said in your thread.

Would love to see your progress with two IWB-s.

• 2 months later...
On 20/06/2019 at 17:56, andrewsgn said:

For PI's:

W(S) - Close Down More

MEZ(S) - Close Down More

Recently, I've normally used a flat 4 4 2 but after reading this thread I thought I'd use your tactic as a starting point and adapt it as I played through the season. In the event I used for all but the first two competitive matches of the season and didn't make any alterations. I'm playing Lyon and ended up winning the domestic cup and league double. The highlight of the season was a 6-1 home win against PSG - not a big a highlight as a certain real life 6-1 away win :D but a highlight nevertheless.  Many thanks for sharing this with us.

Edited by Hovis Dexter

• 1 month later...

Great topic guys!

So if I've understood well, it works like these: overloading the most attacking flank focusing play there to have the other flank with more space. Is it correct?
So how would you setup a 41221 considering that my best player is a IW left footed on attack?

Thank you!

Edited by sejo

3 hours ago, sejo said:

So if I've understood well, it works like these: overloading the most attacking flank focusing play there to have the other flank with more space. Is it correct?

Basically yes. The idea of an overload is to put many players in one area of the pitch. You are making the opposition choose between covering the extra players, or staying narrow and risking overlaps with no cover (which usually results in players being committed anyway). You can create overloads in various places, not just the flanks. For example, a deep midfield overload will dare the AI to come and close you down and leave space between attack and midfield. Think creatively!

3 hours ago, sejo said:

So how would you setup a 41221 considering that my best player is a IW left footed on attack?

So you want the left footed wide player to be the main beneficiary? So playing on the right hand side of the teams most likely. Here is how I would do this. You would want to roles that stay wide in attack on the left. I typically use a W(S) and a FB(A), but anything that stays wide works here. You force the commit defenders. Then you can use a MEZ(A) on the left of midfield. Puts another body on your left flank. That is 3 players now. The AI has to respond, so will commit its defence that way. I then will play with a playmaker in midfield. Lets say a DLP(S) in the DMC strata. He is the pivot you will turn the attack around. The other midfielder just needs to be there to occupy the midfield. He is a decoy in this type of attacking phase, his job is to keep a player watching him. You could even go for overkill here and use a double overload. The right fullback as an IWB(S) to add a body to midfield and draw players that way too. 

Then the striker would be a DLF(S). So he can drop off the defence a little and hopefully draw a defender. The right winger (your best player) can be an IW(A), or an IF(A), as you wish really, see what works. He will be the one really running into the space you are trying to create. He has to beat his fullback 1v1, and then he will have a scrambling covering to beat.

In this idea, you can imagine goals coming from left wing crosses, through balls from the DLP (or another midfielder), passes from DLP to DLF and on to the IW/IF. The downside is that you are committing a lot of people to this attack, so you have to be wary of counter attacks. 

This is just one idea. 

@sporadicsmiles thank you so much, I'm working on it with your suggestions. At the moment, I have 3 big problems:

• my winger tends to dribble at every opportunity, but doesn't really have an end product (and they have very bad ratings)
  • possession is often useless
  • teams that sit down have more possession (which makes no sense to me)

It seems to me also that my team lacks of penetration: the MEZ is pretty conservative, I'm trying the other central midfileder on CMa

Edited by sejo

2 hours ago, chief_lucas said:

@crusadertsar this is incredible work. I've taken on your principles of play and created a tactic with my Leeds team and the results are unreal. We're playing some genuinely excellent football.

Thanks and glad to hear it's working so well for you. Leeds is a great choice for Total Football as Bielsa is one of the big proponents of that style. I think you might be able to use Hernandez as a False 9 and he will probably flourish in that role at least for a season or two before his physical attributes drop too much.

love this but out of interest who do you expect to score the goals

- barcelona - Messi obviously scored the goals but hes a rare talent. and then inside forwards popped up, but often on the right side Alves would provide width with pedro moving slightly inside being a more direct threat.

-bayern/ city - lewa/muller/aguero - mostly goals from aguero and also wingers at city. inverted wingbacks creating central overloads to prevent counters

i can see the aim of your system is to merge the best of both, i.e. inverted wingbacks and false 9. but who is meant to provide width and score goals?

14 minutes ago, Margent2 said:

love this but out of interest who do you expect to score the goals

- barcelona - Messi obviously scored the goals but hes a rare talent. and then inside forwards popped up, but often on the right side Alves would provide width with pedro moving slightly inside being a more direct threat.

-bayern/ city - lewa/muller/aguero - mostly goals from aguero and also wingers at city. inverted wingbacks creating central overloads to prevent counters

i can see the aim of your system is to merge the best of both, i.e. inverted wingbacks and false 9. but who is meant to provide width and score goals?

Good questions! Like I mention in the article the main aim of this experiment was to get the best out of my left wide attacker. For now I'm using inside forward role there but that might change. The whole system, with the overload on the right is built around providing more space for him in the left wing. The secondary scorers are meant to be mezzala and right inverted winger. For this you will need players with specific attributes and PPMs (especially IWB) and I will go into much more detail on this in my next article. Just to give you an idea Ajax' Quincy Promes works like a treat in IWB with many penetrating dribbles and he often scores. Opposition midfielders and fullbacks just cannot keep up with him coming in from deep. And then it's too late and he is near the penalty area, bam!

Especially as I test more and gets more crystalized. The right Inverted Winger is actually meant to provide width, as i instruct him individually to stay wider. So far it works okay but maybe not as well as wish without stay wide or Hug the line PPMs. Ideally i would like this player to choose when he stays and when he cuts in depending on flow of game ( sort of how Pedro played). But this might not be possible in current ME. What i know for sure is that I despise the standard winger role because all it does is cross and dribble. I would love a generic Attacking Wide Midfielder role to customize as wish, as we do in midfield strata. But can always hope for fm21 or fm22 :(

Edited by crusadertsar