Sports Interactive Community

I have read warnings in several topics against using all of the 'high press' instructions at the same time:

image.png.e24bccb73964769751637106edcc4b57.png

This is how I currently line up, and the instructions that I am using, but I can't get an aggressive enough press:

image.thumb.png.1dff68d234fb98a24b778198bfd93a85.png

Has anybody had success using all of those instructions?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I shifted the mentality up to attacking just to see what difference that made. The press was still urgent, but the line was nowhere near as high as it would be if I selected 'much higher defensive line'. I might be wrong, but that seems to be the only way to get the centre backs pushed up high enough to sit in the opponent's half.

54 minutes ago, ryandormer said:

Thanks for the reply. I shifted the mentality up to attacking just to see what difference that made. The press was still urgent, but the line was nowhere near as high as it would be if I selected 'much higher defensive line'. I might be wrong, but that seems to be the only way to get the centre backs pushed up high enough to sit in the opponent's half.

If you would like to press high up the pitch, playing a high defensive line, and your players are capable of doing so (especially if your defenders are intelligent and quick), then don't be afraid to use higher defensive line and line of engagement.

It depends on the quality of your squad. If you manage a poor team, playing with a high mentality, coupled with maxed out defensive instructions, it can really be unnecessarily risky and could lead to a lot of goals conceded. However if you manage a top, dominant team, in my experience you could afford to use a really aggressive defensive system against underdogs. In my Dortmund save I only conceded 16 goals in 34 league matches, had loads of clean sheets throughout the season, using a really aggressive pressing (much higher def line, higher LoE, more urgent pressing, counter press), because I had quality players who were well suited to play a high pressing system.

Without knowing the quality of your squad, for a starting point I would recommend to use a higher defensive line coupled with offside trap, and if you play on positive or higher mentality, then instruct your front 5 players to close down more. If you play on balanced or lower mentality, then instead of player instructions, you could try to use the more urgent pressing TI.

Thanks for the detailed response. I've started a new game with Arsenal, not yet at the winter window in the first season. It's fair to say the defenders aren't that quick, so maybe it would be too much to ask them to play that high and press urgently. I might give it another go after a couple of windows and (hopefully) better defenders.

14 hours ago, ryandormer said:

I have read warnings in several topics against using

A warning is just that, it doesn't mean you can't do it.  You just need to consider if you really need all of those instructions, your players are good at executing it and it fits your overall style.

Its not just the pace of defenders you need to look at.  Mental attributes to read the game quickly then turn and get up to speed quickly play a part to.  One of the biggest factors in preventing balls over the top isn't even the defenders, its the pressing.  If you give a good deep passer time on the ball he can cause you big issues if you either lack numbers or the players lack the physical attributes and drive to press constantly and quickly the high line could be exploited.  Using a DM can make it harder to full pitch press since you give space between your CM pair and ST.