[Request] Tactic w/ goals coming from the striker(s)

I hope this is permissible as I've read through several of the submitted tactics available here and not managed to find any definitive answers...

Is there a tactic that is plug and play that has goals coming from the strikers. I've found a lot of the ones i've tried seemingly rely on shooting volume in order to obtain wins. Low quality shots from all members of the team, rather than a focus on getting the ball to the forwards and scoring a more "normal way", so to speak. 

Is anyone aware of any tactic here that does this? Is it even possible with the current match engine to have a consistently strong tactic with such a "feature" ?

2 minutes ago, Sussex Hammer said:

I've tried quite a few in various forums and to be honest all play the same really with no real input from strikers.  If you find one let me know!!!!

Hopefully there will be a morning onslaught of suggestions. Fingers crossed!

1 minute ago, knap said:

Have you tried making a tactic that fulfils your requirements?

Desperately attempted to, to no avail. 

Having read Cleons guide to making tactics as well as "guidetofm.com" (or something similar to that name at least), i've come up short sadly. My ability to analyse events in game and translate it into a tactic feels mostly like guess work. And after many seasons of what can only thus be described as trial and error, I find myself failing even with relatively strong (if not the strongest) teams. 

I've attempted taking tactics from FMArena that perform exceptionally, and tried to edit them... which seems to just throw the balance of the tactic out, and makes it weak. Alternatively, any changes I make just don't seem to result in much change. 

Should no such tactic exist that's not an issue of course. I greatly appreciate the effort that people put in, and the results people manage to somehow get. Reading through the 10's of pages of multiple submissions however takes time I don't have sadly and I was just hoping someone had spotted one in their travels and could point me to it. 

FM 18 Would be a better choice for strikers to score.

As my tactics are at top of FM Arena, not worth going that route.

Have you tried the top team guides in the forum as a basis to start?

Do you replay games and see how the changes you make effect team performance or result?

1 minute ago, knap said:

FM 18 Would be a better choice for strikers to score.

As my tactics are at top of FM Arena, not worth going that route.

Have you tried the top team guides in the forum as a basis to start?

Do you replay games and see how the changes you make effect team performance or result?

I am in fact running one of your tactics now. Thank you so much for the work you put in. 

I do indeed replay games in order to (attempt to) observe how my amendments affect gameplay. I feel this is problem number one (as Cleon pointed out), that a disconnect between understanding how to game treats your commands is a key problem in tactic creation for most. 

I feel that I just don't see what's in front of me, despite replays and analysis. I can spot a thing I don't want to happen, and I believe i'm correcting the issue, and yet it persists. Furthermore, with everything I take I also have to give something in return. That is to say, in order to alleviate one problem, I likely create another. Marrying multiple solutions into a cohesive tactic is where I assume I fall down, because I can't establish what the knock on effect of my first change is to know what subsequent changes must be made for all the new problems it has created. 

Assuming that my interpretation is even remotely correct, your tactics work wonders because the roles and commands compliment one another, within the nuances of the ME. How on earth you manage to continually create functioning and successful tactics year on year despite the constant evolution of the game is honestly beyond me. Though I assume your questions are indicative of a part of the process you follow. 

I suppose, like many others, i'm exhausted by an inability to understand a game that i've played since I was a kid. I just don't know how to speak the games language, and translate what it's telling me into something that functions. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wiwyum,

please allow me to add my humble opinion to your quest for a tactic where the strikers are suppose to score with a better ratio of shots per goal than "risking a better attacking option for a 1% goal chance".

I've been creating tactics since the days of CM and my quest has always been playing with a back 3 and maximise my strikers chance of scoring without having the whole team on "shoot more often". That's how I created the famous 3-4-3 by Zico10 but unfortunately (my opinion of course) since 2014 the Match Engine took a dive to a point where it was impossible to create a back 3 tactic which could make sense in my way of playing/watching sexy attacking football, going for the win regarding the opposition,(always playing with teams supposed to finish at the bottom 3) Wolves and Bolton have been my favourites "lab rats" teams.

This FM2019 at least improved the ME back 3 to a level where back 3 tactics can be playable, although compromising other options (Used to play a Wide Midfield now reverted to a Wing Back). I've been playing FM2019 Touch (with Wolves) for months and finally, I've managed to create a 3-4-3 tactic where I can play sexy football and strikers scoring due to the sheer number of chances created instead of non-stop shooting. Adama Traore cannot score to save his life in real football but here his raw pace puts him 1-to-1 with the GK majority of the time and he is scoring and assisting for fun.

When creating a tactic, you need to know exactly wat are you looking for in a team instead of creating tactics just reacting to the opposition:

1 - How do you want to play (attack, defending, counter, etc)

2 - Style of play (long ball, possession, etc)

3 - Know your team weaknesses (The most important subject for me) - WATCH FULL MATCHES (that's the only way you will spot your team "consistent" weaknesses and adjust your squad accordingly).

4 - Read and analyse the game - ie. If you are playing with only 1 wide player (Wing Back for example) running the whole lenght of the pitch, there's a few attributes he will need to perfom the role (ie. Pace, Stamina, Work Rate, Crossing, Passing, etc.) - Playing from the back with Ball Playing Defenders with less than 12 Passing  for example is asking for trouble. One thing I've noticed when playing with 2 wide players on the same wing (ie. FB and WM or WG or IF) a lot of times they ended up on top of each other with 1 opposition player marking them both giving the advantage to the opposition.

In my opinion, create a save with a low rated team, save a few away matches versus the big teams and start from there tweaking and testing, again and again while watching the full match. There's nothing more rewarding than watch your team improve as you test and tweak until you reach a level that you feel satisfied with and know that your team can compete.

If you want to try my 3-4-3 and see how your team perform with a different tactic and give some feedback (I play with Wolves) and exchange ideas please let me know and I will pm you the tactic.

Take care

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wiwyum,

I guess it depends on expectations.

My preference has been possession football, that is entertaining going forward and solid in the back. But I have realized that possession does not translate into goals. In some matches I have 45% possession, in others 60%, but I created a substantial amount of chances. But I do not win every single match. And sometimes I get completely hammered, loosing with 4 or 5 goals.

I have only recently purchased FM19, the latest version I played before this was FM15.

In this game I see that I rely much more on the changes for the opponents I am facing and during the matches. To me it seems that plug and play does not exist like the previous versions I have played. So I have to tinker and check up to each match. My base and structure remains the same, but there are small changes to be made

But I think I may have stumbled upon a solution for the strikers scoring, but not the absolute truth. I have designed a 4-3-3, with 3 central midfielders, 2 BBM and a DLP. Offensively I work with a single AF and 2 IF on the wings.

The trick to me is the wide play, so I am operating with CWB to provide with and crosses. So the majority of the assists comes from there.

I am only in my second season (first save I have started is with Newcastle) in the game with a total of 92 hours played, so do not expect me to have the cracked the code. But during this season, my AF (Dolberg from Ajax) has 20 goals in 27 matches, and averages 1 goal every 87 min. In his first 9 matches he had 14 goals, then went on a run of not hitting the back of the net, but now is solid for a goal in approx. every match. To me, that is a very good stat line. But if you are looking for a hattrick in every match, then I can't help you. :)

I can upload the tactic, if you would to give it a try, but as mentioned, it is not plug and play succes, with a Hattrick in every match.

Edited by Robsteren_DK
missing club I am playing with.

Hi Knap,

3 central strikers?

After reading a bit, I see that you have listed a 4-3-3 (4-5-1) quite similar to mine.

I have had too many wingers and too few out and out strikers at Newcastle to go 4-3-3 narrow, but it is one of the tactics I used in FM15 with great success.

In FM19, it seems that the wide players are key, so fielding a narrow formation has seen me struggle, thus the 2 IF

• 3 weeks later...

Attacking 5-2-3 WB Wide by King_Tink is the only one I used that had a pretty consistent scoring striker. You can find it on FMScout

I used it with Wolves and Jimenez scored very consistently. I tried other tactics, Jimenez never ever scored the same.

Other comments also confirm that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone had any real luck?  I've tried every formation and role known to man and have no issue creating chances, even CCC's but the strikers are absolutely useless in this incarnation.  You try and keep them rigidly keeping position and they drift wide, try and get them to roam and they stay still, AF's coming short, it's like playing with 10 men or 9 if you play a 442.  No issue scoring goals as I score plenty but just none from the forwards, or very little!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/09/2019 at 21:27, Sussex Hammer said:

Anyone had any real luck?  I've tried every formation and role known to man and have no issue creating chances, even CCC's but the strikers are absolutely useless in this incarnation.  You try and keep them rigidly keeping position and they drift wide, try and get them to roam and they stay still, AF's coming short, it's like playing with 10 men or 9 if you play a 442.  No issue scoring goals as I score plenty but just none from the forwards, or very little!!!

I can recommend 4-4-2 Modern. It is by no means a diablo tactic, but as such it is much more rewarding. It took me five seasons to win the Prem with Cardiff, which is obviously still amazing in real-life terms, but I've won it second season with Cardiff with other tactics. The goals in that come mainly from the two strikers and the left winger. In my Prem winning season, Nketiah scored 29, other striker (varied them) scored about 23 between them, and the left winger got 19 (I think). Next highest was the supporting central midfielder with about 8. So definitely the focus is on the strikers.