[fm18] 4312 Struggling

Hi everyone, I have a big issue with this formation.

Whatever instruction I set, the big issue is the gap on the two sides of the pitch. 

Against team with 442 or 4231 it's a big problem because it's easy for them to overloading this space. 

I'm actually playing in sky bet championship 1.

My team is not strong. 

How can I deal with this problem? 

Second big issue is the  high pressing line but it's something I can fix. 

So, I have two tactics, same formation. 

Start from the first one. 

Maybe should I set man mark to my two midfielders on against full backs? 

20190611150320_1.jpg

20190611120719_1.jpg

20190611120719_1.jpg

20190611121910_1.jpg

20190611121919_1.jpg

20190611121924_1.jpg

20190611121928_1.jpg

20190611121936_1.jpg

20190611121945_1.jpg

20190611121953_1.jpg

20190611122002_1.jpg

20190611122009_1.jpg

20190611122014_1.jpg

20190611122020_1.jpg

20190611122022_1.jpg

20190611122028_1.jpg

20190611122030_1.jpg

20190611122041_1.jpg

20190611122046_1.jpg

20190611122052_1.jpg

20190611122059_1.jpg

20190611122103_1.jpg

20190611122109_1.jpg

20190611122113_1.jpg

20190611122119_1.jpg

20190611122120_1.jpg

20190611122128_1.jpg

20190611122147_1.jpg

20190611122153_1.jpg

20190611122157_1.jpg

20190611150456_1.jpg

20190611121013_1.jpg

20190611121019_1.jpg

20190611151322_1.jpg

The roles of the side midfielders are very attack minded  - mezzala, box to box and rpm all roam from position. Try using more defensively solid roles such as carrilero or ball winning midfielders who will offer better protection to the flanks. 

The left side of your team in particular is very offensive. Your Mez(A) and WB(A) are going to be high up the pitch. You will need very good CBs to pull that off, because they are often going to be attacked without covering players around them. I can see this causing defensive issues if you are not that strong. However, I like the way you are creating an overload on this side of the pitch yourself, and I would imagine your AF and BBM profit from this and score a good number of goals.

The left side also lacks any midfield cover, but you do not have an aggressive wing back on that side of the pitch, so there is at least some cover to help the central defenders. Still, your midfield is going to be totally absent in wide areas when you are caught in a defensive transition, and you are correct that it can cause issues.

Another question I have is what exactly if the AMC doing? What is his role within your squad? Why is he a AM(S), what does he do to help you create or score chances? It is not very obvious to me that he is going to participate in chance creation or scoring. Does he recycle the ball and offer a passing outlet?

I would be tempted to change the AMC to a DMC if he is not contributing that much in attack. You can play around with the roles to get it right, but something that is holding and screening the defense. I'd be tempted to try a BWM either on defend or support. He can then be available to close down whichever side of the pitch the AI is trying to attack you down. The second advantage is that it allows you to be more creative with the central of the 3 midfielders. He can take up the mobile role the BBM currently has. Getting further forward, supporting attacks and scoring goals. Something like an AP or even a BBM or CM(A) could work (the latter is risky too). You would again have to play around with that. In turn, this means you can play a more conservative role on the right hand side of your midfield. A Cariello, for instance, would cover the space on that flank effectively, and allow a more adventurous full back who provides more width on the right.

13 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

The left side of your team in particular is very offensive. Your Mez(A) and WB(A) are going to be high up the pitch. You will need very good CBs to pull that off, because they are often going to be attacked without covering players around them. I can see this causing defensive issues if you are not that strong. However, I like the way you are creating an overload on this side of the pitch yourself, and I would imagine your AF and BBM profit from this and score a good number of goals.

The left side also lacks any midfield cover, but you do not have an aggressive wing back on that side of the pitch, so there is at least some cover to help the central defenders. Still, your midfield is going to be totally absent in wide areas when you are caught in a defensive transition, and you are correct that it can cause issues.

Another question I have is what exactly if the AMC doing? What is his role within your squad? Why is he a AM(S), what does he do to help you create or score chances? It is not very obvious to me that he is going to participate in chance creation or scoring. Does he recycle the ball and offer a passing outlet?

I would be tempted to change the AMC to a DMC if he is not contributing that much in attack. You can play around with the roles to get it right, but something that is holding and screening the defense. I'd be tempted to try a BWM either on defend or support. He can then be available to close down whichever side of the pitch the AI is trying to attack you down. The second advantage is that it allows you to be more creative with the central of the 3 midfielders. He can take up the mobile role the BBM currently has. Getting further forward, supporting attacks and scoring goals. Something like an AP or even a BBM or CM(A) could work (the latter is risky too). You would again have to play around with that. In turn, this means you can play a more conservative role on the right hand side of your midfield. A Cariello, for instance, would cover the space on that flank effectively, and allow a more adventurous full back who provides more width on the right.

Thank u. 

So for the second formation I think I don't have the right players. What I wanted to achieve there was create space on the flank with my full back and advance forward for my right midfielder. 

Working the ball with movements, don't give to opponents predictability this with roles and duty. 

My AMC should score goals in my mind cause he should have space to attack, space created fork AF and Dlf on support. 

Maybe should I change roles on my two midfielders?for my central  midfielder I was thinking to place him like dlp on Defend with a carrillero where my fullback attack whole on the other side I could put a bwm on support? The big issue is that we struggle creating clear cut chances making the ball pass but we don't find space so, essentially we loose the ball and we are high up on the pitch and we have a big gaps on one side. 

52 minutes ago, NabsKebabs said:

The roles of the side midfielders are very attack minded  - mezzala, box to box and rpm all roam from position. Try using more defensively solid roles such as carrilero or ball winning midfielders who will offer better protection to the flanks. 

Yes i know. Wanted that to achieve the possession ball but I think I need strong players to do that. 

I started from vanarama and I arrived in two seasons on skybet league 1 with a simple 442. Now I wanted change and buyed different king of players. 

Nothing to do. Same problem. 

I changed again. My carrillero into BMW defend duty, my right full back in a defensive full back defend duty and may right midfielder in bwm with support duty. 

I feel my selfe stupid 😔

So I had a look at the team report. 

We are very weak in some attributes. 

General:

Low general height

Low general weight 

Medium control of the ball

Good strength 

Good teamwork 

Really good aggression

In depht:

Low contrast

Low head 

Low man marking 

Low position

Good strength

Good acceleration 

Low decision 

Low control of the ball

Good aggression and teamwork

Midfield :

Low tackling 

Low elevation

Low man marking 

Medium acceleration but low general speed

Very low passages 

Good control of the ball 

Good decision

Forward 

Very good decision

Bad control of the ball

Low strength 

Low team work 

Very good aggression

Training purposes:

Control of the ball and defense attributes. 

So.  

Defensive mentality with low tempo high defensive line with more discipline, play safe with more aggressive midfielders roles. 

Hard tackling. 

No off side trap. Compact team shape. 

I think maybe I should go on fluid team shape to be more compact. 

20190612104832_1.jpg

20190612104838_1.jpg

20190612104853_1.jpg

20190612104859_1.jpg

20190612104906_1.jpg

20190612104912_1.jpg

20190612104919_1.jpg

20190612104926_1.jpg

20190612104936_1.jpg

20190612104944_1.jpg

20190612104949_1.jpg

On 11/06/2019 at 15:14, Shameless1 said:

I'm actually playing in sky bet championship 1.

My team is not strong

Even before I take a look at your tactic, I can assume that this is exactly the problem. 4312 is simply not an ideal system for weaker teams, especially not for lower leagues. 

3 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Even before I take a look at your tactic, I can assume that this is exactly the problem. 4312 is simply not an ideal system for weaker teams, especially not for lower leagues. 

I know but my big problem is that I did not think about it and sold my wingers, so now I'm struggling a lot. 

The reason why I opted for fluid system was that dropping the AMC INTO Cc role made a gap between forwards and midfield. 

So, I have to try another thing.l, I think. 

My team is not strong. 

I have to play safe in general and with precision giving to someone clthe key of the midfield and the finale third. 

So I think to a 4312 with a regista and a trequartista choosing that players that could make these two roles. 

According to this, these two players should be creative while the rest of the team should work with precision. 

Low risk mentality, low pressing low defensive line 

We try to absorb the pressure to create space behind opponents. 

According to this I have tow options. 

Low build up, retaining the ball or fast transition to attack. 

Since I wanna I be safe for first, I think I would go on short pass  and letting  the ball goes around with simple pass. 

So, first match played with this new tactic and approach. 

I started with a 4312 highly structured with defensive mentality. 

Short pass retain the ball low defensive line. 

My left defensive  player setted like fullback with attack duty, 

The right one with support duty. 

In front of the defenders I settetld a regista. 

Then, the two central midfielders. 

On the right a BMW on support, on left a mezzala on support. 

Left forward an AF and on the right a DLF on support. 

We played well. Make one goal. 

When we did this goal the opponents tried a 343 so I told to my left full back to stay on defence and to my mezzala to go on attack and to my BMW to get further forward.  The reason was we were more dense on the center of the pitch while they were trying to command the left and right side of the pitch. I removed also the les widt instruction to better cover the flanks. Our second goal was fantastic but I find we miss a lot of chances. 

However good for the moment. Maybe I was asking too much to them. 

Macth ended up 2¬1 for us with great possession and a lot of attacking actions. 

I have used this 4312 or 442 diamond narrow for a long time. I must say the crucial position of this formation is 2 wing back. You have 2 STs to pin down opponent defensive line. With 2 strikers, their defensive shape must be very narrow. Then who will use space in two flanks? The answer is 2 wingback or may be a mezzala. Therefore, your wingbacks must have great pace, workrate and attacking-awareness. They take an important roles both in attacking and defending.

On 12/06/2019 at 15:12, Shameless1 said:

20190612100613_1.jpg

From this image, I can say that your wingbacks are not good enough to play in this formation. This heatmap show that your team have to many player in the middle of the field and your wingbacks did not provide width to stretch your opponent defensive line. This is why your team take so many long shot.
Find some wingbacks or try to use your player with right role (use them in attacking role like CWB or WB attack)
I even use two AF in the font and play fast attacking football and result from counter attack is awesome. 
This formation is one of my favourite formation and I use it in every version of FM. 

Archived