Improved Assistant Manager Advice

maccataq

I think the advice that your AM gives you during the match could be improved. The current advice seems to be quite formulaic, for example, if you're playing short passing he suggests to play more direct but when you're playing more direct, he will suggest you play shorter passing. I would have more trust in the advice if it wasn't within the same game! I've had it before where I have gone more direct after my AM has advised it and then later he has suggested to play shorter passing! I've seen similar with using work ball into box.

Also, opposition instructions are very reactive. I played the same team back to back and in the first game, my AM identified that someone needed closing down because they were dangerous crossing the ball so I implemented but then the very next game when we faced them again, he didn't suggest to close that same player down from the start.

There will also be advice that such and such a player is dictating the play and we need to close them down when all they have done is score a free-kick or something, i.e. they were not doing anything particularly dangerous consistently but now they have done one good thing and apparently they're running the show! I appreciate I only watch on key highlights but this happened to me recently where we were dominating, ended up winning the game 3-1 but it we conceded a goal from a free kick  in the 2nd half which happened to be the other team's first shot in the whole match and they did very little after that too but apparently we needed to pay special attention to this player dictating play.

The above examples are quite minor issues in the grand scheme of things but what I would like to see is more useful advice, for example, the opposition are exploiting space in front of your back 4 so we should think about putting a DM on the pitch or maybe their full back is struggling / on a booking so we should target him or perhaps suggesting using a specific sub because of the attributes they can bring to the game, e.g. pace or dribbling to exploit a weakness.

• 1 year later...