Ground vs. Air

You guys ever notice that players sometimes send a pass in the air that could have easily been sent along the the ground because the recipient of the pass was not actually far away? I have seen a lot of possession lost from these unnecessary air passes that forces the receiving player to take more time trapping the ball and gives the opposing player more time to close the ball down. I don't know if if this is

(1) a ME issue where the ME does not recognize that, in real life, air passes are harder to execute and therefore players only make air passes when they cannot reach their target through a ground pass or there is an opponent blocking the ground pass option. Or maybe its

(2) a Decisions attribute thing, where the ME has calculated that the individual player does not recognize that an air pass is not necessary.

I wonder which of these two issues it is. I would like to hear from anyone who thinks they might have some objective insight on this.

It’s just aesthetic’s. The result of pass is all that really matters. Consider if you watched game with text only. You would only know the pass was not successful, not the color around it. 

• SI Staff

Best thing to do for stuff like this is to report examples of it happening in the match forum. That way we can have a look and see why that decision is being made, it could be a wide variety of things to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's worse than that: defenders unnecessarily heading the ball forward (instead of letting it pass behind), the ball then easily falls on the feet of an upcoming attacker!  

This happens way too often, even Loki Doki has shown that in many of his videos...

Archived