Let's compare squad sizes!

I'm very curious how some of you manage your squad sizes. Do you take a hoarder's approach or a minimalist's? I think it would also depend on the kind of competition you're in and your budget. Since I'm never deep in cup competitions and any kind of continental competition is nowhere in the cards, I tend to go minimalist. I'll have my subs and maybe a few reserves and that's it. 

How many players should I keep on my senior team? 18? 23? more?

3 minutes ago, jcp1417 said:

I'm very curious how some of you manage your squad sizes. Do you take a hoarder's approach or a minimalist's? I think it would also depend on the kind of competition you're in and your budget. Since I'm never deep in cup competitions and any kind of continental competition is nowhere in the cards, I tend to go minimalist. I'll have my subs and maybe a few reserves and that's it. 

How many players should I keep on my senior team? 18? 23? more?

Personally, I stick to 20-22 max. First-team and rotation for every slot. Works like a charm, especially if player can play two positions.

I like 2 players for each position + 2-3 youngsters as back up/available for u23s, and then 18 players in both u23s and u18s to ensure everyone is in the match day squad for youth games

Usually I have about 27/29 players, because I usually bring the youngsters with highest potential to the first team, making them avaliable to play for the reserves / B team. I know there is an option in training to bring youngsters to train with the main squad without need to actually bring them, but I still prefer to have them there with me, and I remember them more in those games where I can afford to give them minutes. What is not negotiable for me is to have 2 valid options for each position.

I have 28 players in my first team squad, seven of whom are making the step up for the first time. I'd like to off-load Giroud and Heaton, but no takers and the English window has closed. Asterisks are regens.

image.thumb.png.d0bb9450e6c79d132f024bd9b928adc2.png

23-24 in the first team squad with at least one player from the defense, midfield and attack who can play in multiple positions.  Reserves available when the inevitable injury crisis hits but usually that level works

I tend to have 22, but it depends on the league. Somewhere like Holland where you can obliterate most opposition with a fully rotated XI I have exactly 22 players, a First XI who tend to get worse stats as they play in the CL, and a Second XI (won't often rotate goalkeepers though) for cup and weaker league games. 

Someone like Manchester United though who have to face at least 5 really strong sides plus a bunch of mid table sides who aren't to be sniffed at, it might be only 18-20 but with 2-6 u21s who are called upon reasonably frequently to fill in.

2 per position and 3 youngsters, normally this 3 are a CB, a DM/CM and a forward/AML/R anything more is a clear reserve that will only see game time from the bench on injury crisis status

Bonus note: im a player hoarder in a juve/chelsea fashion, a lot of loaned out players, the best ones get the clear reserve status with U23/reserves game time the really good ones are moved to a position that they can compete better (having 2 4 star players as forwards and a 3 star one pop out of those hoards after loan, having a stars potential as a 3rd option nets that 3 stars forward a move to AML/R if he learns fine the position he can be my second option if better than my current one

I will always stick to two players per position and then 3 others who can play across the pitch, so 25 in my first team.

I then hoard as many players as I can afford in the U23s. These will all be regens. 5 star potential/wonderkid status. I sign them all to 5 years contracts and 3 year optional extension. Loan them all out and if they become good enough/better than my currect squad player, bring them up. Or continue to loan them out until they have two years contract left and offload for a nice hefty profit. Rinse and repeat.

Two players per position in the first team squad, with another 11 (1x each position) training with the first team but playing in the u23s. Getting a few games for first team as well.

The U23s is where it gets messy :-) 

Including those in the first team squad, there are two players in each position again.  PLUS a few who are out on loan (up to another 11) 

U18s again, carries two players per position.

The exception being the goalkeepers - I have my first choice 'keeper in the first team, a back-up option (usually an u23) who is available for u23s as well. An U23 GK (by age) and an U18 GK (by age). I sometimes run a few seasons with only three GKs if the u23 is good enough to double as backup for First team. He'll get cup games in the first team. 

I do like to have successful youth and age-group teams as well as first team, and am not against paying a small amount for mediocre players who will probably never make the first team, but act as 'Rotation' for the U23s or U18s. I signed a 'Grey' the other day just so I had two DRs in the U18s.

I like to make sure I have a first team squad to fill the European quota; 2 players in each position (22) plus 3 back up players, normally older home grown players, in certain positions depending on what formation I’m playing 

For example, currently playing a 433 so my back up 3 are the traditional old HG GK (like rob green irl), a CM and a ST

Finally, depending how much money I make from wheeling and dealing I like to stockpile young players in my B and U19 teams, I tend to buy young Brazilians when I’m managing in Holland 

Those of you who have full teams at all levels. How do you achieve this? Do you simply renew all youth players’ contracts each year regardless of their potential ability? I don’t keep youth players unless I think they have the potential to make the first team. As a result of this I never have enough players to have full teams at all levels.

Well, Every start of a season I get about 35 in my A team, then I relaize that it is gonna end bad, so I send like 6 - 8 players on loan, and it still ends bad because of lack of rotation, I am giving myself promises that the next year will be different... but it never was.

Archived