Football Manager 2020 coming to Google Stadia

18 hours ago, gunner86 said:

Has it been confirmed yet if network games will work from Stadia to a steam version?

As ever, this is my major concern too. Being primarily a network game player on mostly an edited database:

1.) Will there be backwards compatibility between steam and stadia for saves?

2.) Will there be network compatibility for users across Mac/Windows/Stadia

3.) Will there be Editor on Stadia

If the answer to those are favourable, this could be a gamechanger for me.

Edited by Vicz

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 20/09/2019 at 10:34, Vicz said:

As ever, this is my major concern too. Being primarily a network game player on mostly an edited database:

2 is unknown as far as I know, 3 has been confirmed not to be the case (at least for the timebeing).  Don't think 1 has been confirmed, but I guess it would depend where your save is hosted.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

2 is unknown as far as I know, 3 has been confirmed not to be the case (at least for the timebeing).  Don't think 1 has been confirmed, but I guess it would depend where your save is hosted.

Thanks, hopefully the answer to 1 & 2 is favourable, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Em 20/09/2019 em 10:34, Vicz disse:

Any feedback on 2 and 3?

Number 1 is a no.

91A4BD80-76E0-4179-A65A-BA950B8057D2.png

1 hour ago, JamieLee90 said:

With no mouse on a full fat version of FM, will be interesting to see how they implement controller use. I remember fm 08 on xbox being really clunky to use with a controller. Hope they make it work! 

Why would there be no mouse?

Stadia works on PCs...

30 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

Stadia works on PCs...

Correct, you don't have to use the controller.

On PC, your only using the Chrome Browser after all.

Not too concerned about mods, but hoping the editor will be available as its an official SI product (which they charge for).

10 hours ago, gunner86 said:

Stadia works on PCs...

Most people would be playing stadia on big screen tvs would they not? 

I'm just wondering then if fm will only be able to be played via a PC? Unless they implement controller support for TV use. 

I just think playing it on a big 50 inch TV would be great, but it's not really built for controller use so not sure how it would work 

1 hour ago, JamieLee90 said:

Most people would be playing stadia on big screen tvs would they not? 

I'm just wondering then if fm will only be able to be played via a PC? Unless they implement controller support for TV use. 

I just think playing it on a big 50 inch TV would be great, but it's not really built for controller use so not sure how it would work 

The whole point of Stadia is giving people the chance to play modern PC games smoothly without the need for a mega-computer. It's not really anything to do with a 'big screen'. I already sometimes play FM on my big screen TV by connecting my laptop to it via an HDMI cable. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-stadia-will-offer-game-trials-livestreaming-and-mod-support-vp-says/

This seems to indicate Stadia will have mod support. Seems to be coming from this interview with the Stadia VP (question asked at ~38:20). Immediately after, he discusses support cross-play (uploading save files from PC to Stadia).

I'm sure there will be mod support eventually. They could probably have something like Steam's workshop or Chrome's Web Store that allows some form of curation. The problem would come with potentially copyright infringing material such as logos, kitpacks etc.

On 14/10/2019 at 06:07, BFootball said:

I'm sure there will be mod support eventually. They could probably have something like Steam's workshop or Chrome's Web Store that allows some form of curation. The problem would come with potentially copyright infringing material such as logos, kitpacks etc.

How would it be different than the current system? It's not for-profit DLC.

I'm wondering, If I'm now buying Stadia Premier (that is 3 months pro, and access to google stadia already this year, from the release in november)

Next I buy FM20 when it releases on stadia.... and after 3 months I decide not to continue my stadia pro, but continue stadia free... will FM still be available? The disclaimer of google stadia is not really conclusive... but it seems like I would lose all access to FM20 because it was bought within the pro subscription.

So I don't know if it will be like that or not but if FM20 costs as much in pro as in stadia free, it would be really unbelievable that I would lose access even though I paid for the game the same amount as those next year with stadia free. And even if the price is not the same, they probably don't offer something like "I'll now pay the difference in game price so I can continue playing in stadia free"

• So if I'm buying Stadia Premier now and FM20 next month, will I only be able to play FM20 when I continue to pay for the pro account on stadia?
  • If I'm sure I don't want to pay for google stadia more than a few months (which I'm actually prepared to do since I'm not against paying premier but stopping after the 3 months), but want to play FM20 longer, I can only do this if I buy FM20 with a stadia free account, so as a direct consequence can only do this if I wait until next year to buy it?

In an ideal world I want to buy it on stadia this year (so go for premier) but in the end I don't want to pay forever for stadia pro but still be able to access FM20

Edited by DavyDepuydt1

1 hour ago, Harper said:

How would it be different than the current system? It's not for-profit DLC.

In the current system, SI can likely wash their hands of things.  The offending articles are hosted on the user's system, used in their own (usually) single player game.

Depending on how Stadia organises things, you're likely going to need to host these things server-side.  I'd imagine that brings certain legal challenges coming from that, as I can't imagine a major company is willing to store licence-beating assets.

1 hour ago, mdshep said:

The more I read about Stadia the more confused I become.

Am I able to just buy the game on stadia and play it through chrome on my laptop without having to buy controllers / Chromecast etc?

Yes chrome on a laptop enables use of your regular keyboard/mouse but with the processing and GPU power of Stadia

18 minutes ago, Mensell76 said:

Yes chrome on a laptop enables use of your regular keyboard/mouse but with the processing and GPU power of Stadia

So I don’t need to buy stadia founders  edition for £129 before I can purchase FM?

12 hours ago, mdshep said:

So I don’t need to buy stadia founders  edition for £129 before I can purchase FM?

No, and stadia founder edition is sold out anyway and replaced by "Stadia Premier" (in most countries)

If you don't want to pay for Stadia, and just use a free account, you'll need to wait until next year. This year stadia is only available for pro members (so those who bought founder or premier/premium)

• Administrators

I'm able to answer a couple of these - just to confirm that Stadia's network play will only be Stadia to Stadia. As a Stadia player you will not be able to join a network game running via Steam and vice-versa. 

The in-game editor will be available to purchase for the Stadia version. 

Appreciate that information hasn't been completely clear in regards to everything, but as supporters of a new platform like Stadia we'll try and keep you updated as and when we can.

Thanks. 

53 minutos atrás, Neil Brock disse:

I'm able to answer a couple of these - just to confirm that Stadia's network play will only be Stadia to Stadia. As a Stadia player you will not be able to join a network game running via Steam and vice-versa. 

The in-game editor will be available to purchase for the Stadia version. 

Appreciate that information hasn't been completely clear in regards to everything, but as supporters of a new platform like Stadia we'll try and keep you updated as and when we can.

Thanks. 

Thanks Neil. 

Also, as I am from Portugal, can you possible give me an indication when will I be able to buy FM on Stadia here and play it there? That is the platform I am most interested in for FM20.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, TioPatinhax said:

By in-game editor you mean the pre game editor that we also have on FM 19, or a editor to edit the game after it is created?

When we say 'In Game Editor' we always mean the editor you purchase and use after the save is created. 

On 15/10/2019 at 17:00, forameuss said:

In the current system, SI can likely wash their hands of things.  The offending articles are hosted on the user's system, used in their own (usually) single player game.

Depending on how Stadia organises things, you're likely going to need to host these things server-side.  I'd imagine that brings certain legal challenges coming from that, as I can't imagine a major company is willing to store licence-beating assets.

Aye, from what Google have said, all Stadia stuff is held server-side, it's not saved on your PC, and as unlicensed logos, face packs, etc, would be copyright infringing, I don't see Google approving of it being hosted on their servers, or SI approving of it openly, as that could get them into legal trouble.

14 hours ago, eplekrar said:

so, from what I understand.

- you need to pay £120  to get access to stadia this year

- you won't have access to beta

No stadia version for me, if this is the case..

The way I see it is good for people like me who mainly games on console these days and stopped upgrading the pc or getting a new laptop every 2 years when I only play FM on pc. 

Plus the benefit of being able play full FM on any Web browser or my phone or tablet. 

If you already have a decent enough setup for FM20 then sure I can't see much reason for you to get this version unless you want to be able to FM anywhere and are interested in Stadia for the overall experience and other games. 

15 hours ago, vangto said:

The way I see it is good for people like me who mainly games on console these days and stopped upgrading the pc or getting a new laptop every 2 years when I only play FM on pc. 

Plus the benefit of being able play full FM on any Web browser or my phone or tablet. 

If you already have a decent enough setup for FM20 then sure I can't see much reason for you to get this version unless you want to be able to FM anywhere and are interested in Stadia for the overall experience and other games. 

I can foresee people who don’t want to upgrade PCs in the near future who prefer the Stadia option. I just hope the Asian rollout doesn’t take 3 years.

30 minutes ago, Daveincid said:

Google Stadia has a 2.7 GHz Intel CPU. Well....this sounds terribly slow for fm? Or do I miss a point?

Cheers

Daveincid 

Interesting point this, when Stadia have been giving it the 'biggun' its always been Tflop related (10.7), that's not gonna help when your pushing through an international break with all the leagues running.

I guess we're hoping for optimization, parallel processing, 2.7 GHz across 8 cores would make a massive difference although i wouldn't expect anywhere near that initially.

Interestingly it looks like Stadia, Xbox 2 and Playstation 5 will all operate on 8 core CPU's, the hope is with this 'unofficial standard' being established developers can work to this and start using the latent power of our CPU's. 

Edited by Mr U Rosler

1 hour ago, Rashidi said:

I can foresee people who don’t want to upgrade PCs in the near future who prefer the Stadia option. I just hope the Asian rollout doesn’t take 3 years.

That's exactly it, I own 3 laptops but noone of them is good enough for what I want (Running quite a few leagues, max 3D performance)

• My MSI gaming laptop is 2 years old, and already outdated. it can still pull of quite good graphics, but I'm annoyed by the fan & heat 
  • My windows surface pro is super at processing, and 2D, but the 3D is only low to average and makes the tablet too hot
  • Office Laptop that has only average processing capabilities & almost no graphic capabilities

So I believe stadia is a good solution for me, I take my Surface Pro anywhere with me, and it would allow me to play at much better graphics than it does now, without causing the heat it does now (for a graphics experience that isn't even as good as stadia's)

And I don't feel the need in investing in a good machine, since i've done that 2 years ago with the MSI laptop I've mentioned before (1500 € or so) and now 2 years down the line it's not fullfilling my needs anymore. 

I believe Stadia is easily seen by people as "why would you need it", but might be useful for much more people than you think... I'm one of those who's happy and really looking forward to it... and I'm by no means a console gamer (except 10 hours playing GTA V on a ps3 I never played on a console before)

Edited by DavyDepuydt1

There are Pentium 4s that Clock in way over 3 Ghz. (Pentium 4 happen to be still listed as FM's Minimum requirements, even after all These years.) Even so they're still terribly slow compared to some 2.7 Ghz processors.  https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-4-340GHz-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6400/m293vs3512

It's not the GHz, which is their Clock speed. It's the IPC (how many instructions per Clock cycle they can actually compute, which can be hugely different as IPC has Always increased with every generation), the instructions they can handle, and, depending on which, the amount of cores. As Stadia's CPU seems to be a custom build, no idea About how much computig power it has personally. The amount of GHZ tells virtually Zero About a CPU These days -- except for if you were to compare CPUs of the exact same type. E.g. a Coffee Lake i5 at 3.0 is going to be a tad slower than the same i5 at say 3.3.

Edited by Svenc

I can already see it now.  People flock to Stadia because of this mythical processing power, and find out it performs distinctly average.  

Not that that's necessarily grounds for riot, the option to be able to play on any device with an internet connection is still a big plus to have.  But must admit, one of the big pulls of something like this would be to have the sort of performance you can't get without spending a lot of money.  If it clocks in at the sort you can get from a mid-range laptop, that'll be pretty disappointing.  Remains to be seen.

44 minutes ago, forameuss said:

I can already see it now.  People flock to Stadia because of this mythical processing power, and find out it performs distinctly average.  

Not that that's necessarily grounds for riot, the option to be able to play on any device with an internet connection is still a big plus to have.  But must admit, one of the big pulls of something like this would be to have the sort of performance you can't get without spending a lot of money.  If it clocks in at the sort you can get from a mid-range laptop, that'll be pretty disappointing.  Remains to be seen.

Here's hoping someone will benchmark it against consumer hardware

3 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Here's hoping someone will benchmark it against consumer hardware

That will happen sooner rather them later. Just give youtubers about 24 hours since the start of stadia and videos with that comparison will start to pop up.

Edited by grade