hitting woodword too frequently

Compared to the Premier League in FM 19 I'm hitting the woodwork twice as much as in real life. The average in real life is about 3-4% of shots hitting the frame, my save I'm at about 8%. This isn't a big deal, I realize that a dominant team in FM ends up taking far more shots than IRL. But it is slightly ridiculous when you have a run of 3 or 4 games with at least 2-3 woodworks each. Frustrating and could maybe be dialed back

• Administrators

The thing with aspects like this, it's not just a case of dialling it back so to speak, it would require a rather large change to shooting accuracy across the board. Risk of this is heavily changing the amount of goals per game - so whilst it'd be good to have it absolutely identical to real life figures the game does require a huge amount of balancing to make it as realistic as possible. 

As with everything else in game it's something that'll be looked at for any future version of FM and we appreciate the feedback. 

Fair enough, and I do realize it's not normal even for a dominant team to take 30+ shots a game, while that's the norm in FM. To be honest though, I'd rather have half of those "hit woodworks" simply be off target. I do appreciate the ramifications of tweaking something like that though. At least my players are kings of the crossbar challenge!

I'll still take the current iteration above last year's shooting model; which often saw the shot leaving the field of play above the corner flag.

FM17 had it about right. You saw a greater range of shot outcomes; including those that fizzed just over, or whistled past the post. Again, I'd take this all day long over the aimless scuffs straight at the keeper we (endlessly) see now.

It's variety that makes a good match experience, not repetition.

Variety is actually a good term to bring up, as it's dawned upon me throughout the years that I tend to look at things differently than others do. F'r instance, I've never overly obsessed about woodworks, as in my mind there is two outcomes: Either a shot is a Goal or it isn't. That's more or less it.

That is, at least on the larger more Abstract scale of Things. I still tend to Judge scoring chances as such individually (which is also where I feel the game's playerbase on average is generally godawful at, and the game doesn't do much to lift that burden off them) -- however I'm not overly fussed HOW they are converted/missed. Probably because historically in particular, Computer simulations of Sports were  to be a tad limited. And my gaming experience goes years back now. Abstracting things like that is second nature to me.

That said, I'm not sure how on SI's end you're trying to balance for "realistic" stats and Play, and yet allow Player Position and play  that is simply not a thing for prolonged periods in football. If Teams on this game are allowed to compress the space they operate in to the size of a tunafish can, and simlar (the AI can do this as well…), this will always put the ball carrier under added pressure, and may result in a bigger amount of hurried decisions / worse shots -- some of them having added potential to hit the woodwork.

Aside of the balancing issues caused by this: Why is this still in the game considering it's pretending to simulate semi/professional Football Management? 

Archived