Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
WojciechZed

A couple of CL issues

A couple of things that I noticed with the CL format and found a bit odd.

In my 2nd season with Bayern, my team is in pot 1 for the draw, even though we finished 2nd in the Bundesliga (terrible I know) and didn't win the CL. How come? 

Also, for the 2nd season in a row, they have 3 teams from England playing on one evening, and one playing on the 2nd evening. Shouldn't it be evenly split?

Somebody correct me if I am worng, but:

pot 1 - 8 teams that are currently the highest ranked by the european coefficient, therefore Bayern in 1st pot is ok I think. Coefficient is calculated from the results of last 5 years of their appearance in CL.

Playing on Tuesdaz/Wednesday is determined by the group letter at least in my game: e.g. groups A-D are on Tuesday, E-H are played the next day. Therefore all english clubs can play on one eveing even.

No I believe at the moment pot 1 contains the winners of the top 7 leagues in the coefficients + the CL winner. If the CL winner also won their league, then it is the top 8 leagues.

As far as the format, in real life, they separate the teams of the countries who have 4 clubs in the CL, for TV reasons I believe. So they should be split into 2 of them being in groups A to D, and 2 in groups E to H.

2 hours ago, WojciechZed said:

No I believe at the moment pot 1 contains the winners of the top 7 leagues in the coefficients + the CL winner. If the CL winner also won their league, then it is the top 8 leagues.

As far as the format, in real life, they separate the teams of the countries who have 4 clubs in the CL, for TV reasons I believe. So they should be split into 2 of them being in groups A to D, and 2 in groups E to H.

Who won the CL and Europa League? It's possible that if either was won by your league winner, they'll get a place in pot 1 based on that and you'll get a place in pot 1 taking their place as league runner up.

Okay that might explain it. Leipzig won the Bundesliga and also the Europa League. So if they won the league and the Europa league, the runner up from the league goes into pot 1? If so, I didn't know this. I would assume they'd just take the winner of the following highest league in the coefficient table.  

1 hour ago, WojciechZed said:

Okay that might explain it. Leipzig won the Bundesliga and also the Europa League. So if they won the league and the Europa league, the runner up from the league goes into pot 1? If so, I didn't know this. I would assume they'd just take the winner of the following highest league in the coefficient table.  

According to wikipedia, it should actually be the winner of the following highest league. You could log it in the bugs forum as it does seem wrong.