Help regarding attributes

So after playing full FM on pc and coming to FMM, I found myself wondering if there are any secondary attributes to consider in particular roles. I know FMM is meant to be a slimmer version of FM but to what end? So I'm hoping someone from SI can help shed some light on things.

My questions are, when assigning players to certain roles...

Regarding Captaincy: is leadership the only attribute to consider? Does a captain also require good teamwork?

Offside Trap: any other attributes besides positioning? Full FM has a heap to consider.

Free-kicks: any other attributes besides shooting?

I also heard that the team captain gives a boost to the players in his position, like a striker captain would give a performance boost to fellow strikers in a match. Is this true?

Really puzzled after FM and would be super appreciative of a reply.

Personally, for picking my captain, I look at leadership, teamwork, age and sometimes how long he has been in the club.

For offside trap, I look at positioning, teamwork and decision.

For freekicks, I look for shooting, passing, crossing and technique 

Thanks Darj, those would be my  inklings too, considering that is how it is for full FM.

But what if we're overestimating the match engine and it isn't as in-depth as we thought? What if, like shown in the assignment interface,  one attribute is really all we need to consider when selecting our captain, offside trap or free kicks?

I'd love for an official answer, as it would really put to bed some time-consuming superstitions and thoroughly improve the gaming experience. 

I think it detracts a bit from the immersion when you know the exact algorithm regarding a combination of attributes. It is also in constant flux, since Marc has been tweaking things constantly.

I think the game does a pretty good job of encouraging you to learn through experience. Sure, it all boils done to a formula with a balance of attributes, but is that really how you want to approach the game?

It is far easier to make decisions based on performance and let your coaches and scouts give some approximation of traits.

I'm not sure that knowing the exact arithmetic behind everything is going to make you a better manager, or have more fun.

12 hours ago, Azure86 said:

Thanks Darj, those would be my  inklings too, considering that is how it is for full FM.

But what if we're overestimating the match engine and it isn't as in-depth as we thought? 

If I'm not mistaken I read somewhere probably on vibe where one of the Dev said the engine is basically the same as one of the earlier FM engine

20190604_120602.thumb.png.900fc5328ca01af4697dd13ec3e7fc79.png

5 hours ago, JimJobs2 said:

I think it detracts a bit from the immersion when you know the exact algorithm regarding a combination of attributes. It is also in constant flux, since Marc has been tweaking things constantly.

I think the game does a pretty good job of encouraging you to learn through experience. Sure, it all boils done to a formula with a balance of attributes, but is that really how you want to approach the game?

It is far easier to make decisions based on performance and let your coaches and scouts give some approximation of traits.

I'm not sure that knowing the exact arithmetic behind everything is going to make you a better manager, or have more fun.

I completely agree, which is why I'm not after any formulas or algorithms behind the match engine, and only asking for the primary attributes to those roles. In my opinion, I don't think my questions are much different from wanting to know what the primary attributes to, say, a poacher are, back when no attributes were shown. Nevertheless, all those primary attributes were eventually highlighted on the training page.

Just to clarify, I'd love to receive an answer similar to Darj's, but honestly, I'd be more than happy to receive an answer which only confirms whether or not there are other attributes to consider, and consequently leaving it to our judgement. Whether or not SI chooses to disclose this info is up to their discretion, and I respect that. At the very best, we can at least get a better idea of what attributes to look for. At the very worst, we might find that no other attributes are considered, and even then, that would still be perfectly understandable for a mobile game.

• SI Staff

If you're playing FM then you can see which attributes are especially important for specific roles by looking at the training pages (click to change the trained role and it'll mention them) or looking at a player profile and see which are highlighted (presuming you have it set in preferences to show the 'trained' attributes for that role).

PS - As far as which are most important in a particular match its impossible to say as your style of tactic/players and your oppositions matter a lot as does weather etc. .... if you're playing against a hard tackling team in bad weather then bravery will be a very important factor, if you're playing a team who passes short and fast then defensively your mobility and intelligence of your defenders will be very important ... if a team lobs long balls forward then its totally different etc.

2 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

If you're playing FM then you can see which attributes are especially important for specific roles by looking at the training pages (click to change the trained role and it'll mention them) or looking at a player profile and see which are highlighted (presuming you have it set in preferences to show the 'trained' attributes for that role).

PS - As far as which are most important in a particular match its impossible to say as your style of tactic/players and your oppositions matter a lot as does weather etc. .... if you're playing against a hard tackling team in bad weather then bravery will be a very important factor, if you're playing a team who passes short and fast then defensively your mobility and intelligence of your defenders will be very important ... if a team lobs long balls forward then its totally different etc.

Thanks for responding, Marc. Unfortunately, that didn't quite address any of the questions I had in the opening post.

Are you saying that the attributes required for Captains, Free Kick Takers and Offside Trap in the mobile game are no different than the ones required in the pc game?

More specifically, do Captains only require Leadership, and Free Kick Takers only require Shooting?

• SI Staff

Thanks for clarifying ...

Captains - Leadership/Influence is what makes a captain, age and their status in the club help. So someone who is a decent youngster aged 16 won't be a great choice even if he's mature for his age and may in time before a great leader.
It is worth realising that a captain also has a slight influence over the teams behavior on the pitch, so a defensive minded captain will make the team a little more defensively tight, a more attacking captain will encourage creativity etc.
PS - Teamwork isn't a huge requirement for a captain as that indicates how much a player 'pulls' for his team in terms of distribution/selfishness in that regard HOWEVER you can have an effective captain who acts selfishly on a pitch but inspires others through his workrate, professionalism and dedication, this is most commonly found with strikers who often have to be 'non-team players' to be effective goal scorers.

Free-kick takers - shooting generally guides free-kick takers, BUT look for players who have it mentioned as a speciality on their coach reports as this demonstrates someone who has a LARGE boost to this area. For rule of thumb (and this isn't quite how its implemented but will help - think of shooting as providing 50% of the ability for freekicks and the remaining  50% coming from a hidden ability which is shown partially through the coach report mentioning it).

Offside Trap - This is down to the positioning attribute of the players (as far as keeping the 'line') but when playing that it is VITAL to have at least some fast players in defense in case the trap is broken and indeed to make it effective, if all your defenders are pace 5 against attackers pace 15+ then they can easily just wait for safe on-side passes and sprint past your defense to run onto the ball knowing your players can't catch them.

On 05/06/2019 at 08:24, Marc Vaughan said:

Thanks for clarifying ...

Captains - Leadership/Influence is what makes a captain, age and their status in the club help. So someone who is a decent youngster aged 16 won't be a great choice even if he's mature for his age and may in time before a great leader.
It is worth realising that a captain also has a slight influence over the teams behavior on the pitch, so a defensive minded captain will make the team a little more defensively tight, a more attacking captain will encourage creativity etc.
PS - Teamwork isn't a huge requirement for a captain as that indicates how much a player 'pulls' for his team in terms of distribution/selfishness in that regard HOWEVER you can have an effective captain who acts selfishly on a pitch but inspires others through his workrate, professionalism and dedication, this is most commonly found with strikers who often have to be 'non-team players' to be effective goal scorers.

Free-kick takers - shooting generally guides free-kick takers, BUT look for players who have it mentioned as a speciality on their coach reports as this demonstrates someone who has a LARGE boost to this area. For rule of thumb (and this isn't quite how its implemented but will help - think of shooting as providing 50% of the ability for freekicks and the remaining  50% coming from a hidden ability which is shown partially through the coach report mentioning it).

Offside Trap - This is down to the positioning attribute of the players (as far as keeping the 'line') but when playing that it is VITAL to have at least some fast players in defense in case the trap is broken and indeed to make it effective, if all your defenders are pace 5 against attackers pace 15+ then they can easily just wait for safe on-side passes and sprint past your defense to run onto the ball knowing your players can't catch them.

Cheers Marc, that more than cleared things up and I simply can't thank you enough. Looking forward to seeing what you and the rest of SI have in store for us in 2020! 

Archived