Known issues and solutions - FAQ

Dear All,

I keep on receiving this message (invalid code) when finalising the instasllation. I tried all the procedures you suggested: both the fixv 3 and the keycheck page lead me to the same message: invalid code. Is there anything I could try before bringing the game back to the store I bought it at? I have a PC running Windows XP

Thanks, Christian

Unfortunately, in your case the best piece of advice I can give you is to email the error code at errors@uniloc.com and they will continue to try and help you.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dear All,

I keep on receiving this message (invalid code) when finalising the instasllation. I tried all the procedures you suggested: both the fixv 3 and the keycheck page lead me to the same message: invalid code. Is there anything I could try before bringing the game back to the store I bought it at? I have a PC running Windows XP

Thanks, Christian

As a last ditch attempt, you could also try performing a full manual un-install (http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2295299&postcount=3785), running the fix, re-installing, re-activating.

Failed again, 1003 again...Apparently i bought a game and no one can assist me.

I paid 50 euros and cannot even install ,a friend of mine has a cracked version and plays...a weird way to contrast piracy and motivate people to purchase original copies...

Christian

Since the 15th January I have had this problem now....please help!

I have windows vista. I was lucky enough to have had it installed from day one and had no problems since. I went to lauch FM09 last Thursday through steam and got the message:

"SI Activator has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

It then takes me to the SoftKey activation screen, I re-enter my code and get the message:

"Football manager 2009 has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

This problem continually happens no matter how much I try it. I was advised to load Fix 2 it didn't work. I was advised to load Fix 3 and once again that didn't work either!!!

I have un-installed FM09, Steam and reinstalled them all. I have reinstalled Windows Vista and restored my laptop to factory settings. None of this worked.

I then read the post to delete the cache. This seemed to have worked and I managed to load up Football Manager 2009. I then went to download the Patch 9.20 since I have done this I get the very same messages I started with and STILL can't launch the game!!!!!

Other people are experiencing this problem aswell!

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I will update as soon as I get home.

My graphics card is: 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce 9300M GS graphics card

Thanks

Roy

Many Thanks SI, I now have game running:

For Info if any body receives the following:

[Main Instruction]

Football Manager 2009 has stopped working

[Content]

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Install all drivers specificed by SI/SEGA, update your Graphics Card (If using Vista, and a touch screen turn of all systems in background via personnal settings)

Roy

Failed again, 1003 again...Apparently i bought a game and no one can assist me.

I paid 50 euros and cannot even install ,a friend of mine has a cracked version and plays...a weird way to contrast piracy and motivate people to purchase original copies...

Christian

I'm sorry to read that, Christian.

In activation issue related cases such as yours, as I stated earlier, your best option would be to email errors@uniloc.com or to contact Customer Services. This can be done via the phone number in your manual, or via the below link:

http://help.sega.com/?group=englishuk&t=EnglishUK.

I'm sorry if I could not be of any more help to you - hopefully they will be.

I have the ERROR: Cannot run game:Failed to set up graphics system come up & I've downloaded the fix but whenever I try to install it, it crashes the computer, so I can't install it.

Is there anything else I could try?

By the 'fix', are you referring to the Microsoft DirectX SDK (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en)?

I have windows vista. I was lucky enough to have had it installed from day one and had no problems since. I went to lauch FM09 last Thursday through steam and got the message:

It then takes me to the SoftKey activation screen, I re-enter my code and get the message:

This problem continually happens no matter how much I try it. I was advised to load Fix 2 it didn't work. I was advised to load Fix 3 and once again that didn't work either!!!

I have un-installed FM09, Steam and reinstalled them all. I have reinstalled Windows Vista and restored my laptop to factory settings. None of this worked.

I then read the post to delete the cache. This seemed to have worked and I managed to load up Football Manager 2009. I then went to download the Patch 9.20 since I have done this I get the very same messages I started with and STILL can't launch the game!!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

This may read as a trivial suggestion, but could you try completely uninstalling the game, and re-installing it via Uniloc as opposed to Steam? That's assuming you haven't done so already.

Instructions can be found at http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2249113&postcount=3454

Many Thanks SI, I now have game running:

For Info if any body receives the following:

[Main Instruction]

[Content]

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Install all drivers specificed by SI/SEGA, update your Graphics Card (If using Vista, and a touch screen turn of all systems in background via personnal settings)

Roy

That's great to hear Roy! Apologies for the inconvenience getting it to work - hope the game will have been worth the hassle! :)

That's great to hear Roy! Apologies for the inconvenience getting it to work - hope the game will have been worth the hassle! :)

Graphical the game is great, what a joy of watching your tactics in motion. Now I attempt to take Luton Town back to the premership and maybe my local team Varese to Serie A.

Again Thanks for your assisstance.

Roy

In that case, could you go to http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=gen and locate them yourself from there?

I have dowloaded lots of updates via this link so thanks. Not sure if it has worked yet but will i need to uninstall the game and re-install it, since i have dowloaded lots of these updates to try and fix the problem?

Managed to get it installed via Steam!

But its still freezing as soon as i confirm my team for the first game that i go and take control of!

Patch is installed and it has been updated via steam!

Could you please try and play the game in 'Windowed' mode?

You can do so via Options -> Preferences -> Display & Sound -> Display Mode (drop menu).

Marc,

the game loads perfectly and everything is fine until it comes to my first match, and as soon as i try to make a substitution the game crashes and a message comes up saying that a file has been created in the fm09 folder. this folder is a crash dumps folder and the files that are in there all read "FM 2009 v9.1.0.26064". after that comes up, the game automatically shut it's self down

Mines dones the same except i get to the end of my first match then the game closes down on itself.

Hi,

Ive read through hundreds of posts of hundreds of forums but havent come acrosss anyone with a problem like mine, could someone from sega please help!

Ive had the game since release, and I eventually got the game working through steam within that week, after a few weeks when I try to open FM09 it either crashes and reboots or an extremely fuzzy blue screen which you can just about make out as the dektop. After a few attempts it works and thats how it had been for the last month or so, until now the last three days it has not worked, just either reboots my PC or the blue screen appears.

please help me, was in 8th season with Arsenal and was Brazil Manager!! I miss it

Hi,

Ive read through hundreds of posts of hundreds of forums but havent come acrosss anyone with a problem like mine, could someone from sega please help!

Ive had the game since release, and I eventually got the game working through steam within that week, after a few weeks when I try to open FM09 it either crashes and reboots or an extremely fuzzy blue screen which you can just about make out as the dektop. After a few attempts it works and thats how it had been for the last month or so, until now the last three days it has not worked, just either reboots my PC or the blue screen appears.

please help me, was in 8th season with Arsenal and was Brazil Manager!! I miss it

1. Have you installed Microsoft DirectX SDK? (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en)

2. Have you updated your Microsoft .NET framework? (http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2294041&postcount=3758)

3. Make sure you have your graphics card's latest drivers installed.

If none of that helps, have you attempted a re-install of the game? You may want to try to re-install it via Uniloc, if you do, assuming you had purchased the game on DVD and not via Steam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by liamc

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

This may read as a trivial suggestion, but could you try completely uninstalling the game, and re-installing it via Uniloc as opposed to Steam? That's assuming you haven't done so already.

Instructions can be found at http://community.sigames.com/showpos...postcount=3454

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bardi,

I have tried all of this and I am really losing patience. I just tried again, I followed all of the instructions in the link. I get to the point of entering my license key and get the message:

I have also emailed Sega but they are tellling me to try exactly what everyone else has suggested and still no success!!!

Hi I just re-installed it and got this from my install log::::

Tue Jan 20 18:58:39 GMT 2009

Custom Action: com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer

Additional Notes: ERROR - class com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer NonfatalInstallException RegisterWithGameExplorer() failed: Failed to add game to Game Explorer

Custom Action: com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsMediaCenter

Execute Command: netsh firewall add allowedprogram "$USER_INSTALL_DIR$\fm.exe" "Football Manager 2009" ENABLE

Execute Target File: DXSETUP.exe

1. Have you installed Microsoft DirectX SDK? (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en)

2. Have you updated your Microsoft .NET framework? (http://community.sigames.com/showpos...postcount=3758)

If none of that helps, have you attempted a re-install of the game? You may want to try to re-install it via Uniloc, if you do, assuming you had purchased the game on DVD and not via Steam.

Hi, thanks for replying Bardi, Ive done all the three steps, (although 2. Have you updated your Microsoft .NET framework? - I tried to install, but options were repair back to original state or uninstall.....so i assume it is already updated??

How do I install via uniloc?? is it in this folder on the cd?: D:\Disk1\InstData\Windows\VM

appreciating the help

2. Have you updated your Microsoft .NET framework? (http://community.sigames.com/showpos...postcount=3758)

I installed through Uniloc, but when I try to strat FM09 is comes up with a Warning message:

'Could not locate database file C:Program files/steam/steamApps/common/..... - reverting to previous' - or something!! I press ok the warning message goes but then PC freezes.

Why is it trying to open the database through steam?? help please....

Quote:

Originally Posted by liamc

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Instructions can be found at http://community.sigames.com/showpos...postcount=3454

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bardi,

I have tried all of this and I am really losing patience. I just tried again, I followed all of the instructions in the link. I get to the point of entering my license key and get the message:

I have also emailed Sega but they are tellling me to try exactly what everyone else has suggested and still no success!!!

Hey Liam,

Okay, seeing as you're not receiving any activation error, it doesn't appear to be an issue with your key code.

I'm sorry if you have been suggested this before, but can you confirm you've downloaded all of the following:

1. Microsoft DirectX SDK (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en)

2. Microsoft .NET framework (http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2294041&postcount=3758)

3. Your graphics card's latest drivers

Hi I just re-installed it and got this from my install log::::

Tue Jan 20 18:58:39 GMT 2009

Custom Action: com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer

Additional Notes: ERROR - class com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer NonfatalInstallException RegisterWithGameExplorer() failed: Failed to add game to Game Explorer

Custom Action: com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsMediaCenter

Execute Command: netsh firewall add allowedprogram "$USER_INSTALL_DIR$\fm.exe" "Football Manager 2009" ENABLE

Execute Target File: DXSETUP.exe

Hmmm - was there any change with your luck when attempting to run the game?

Could you also try to make sure to turn off your firewall (if enabled) and anti-virus software when trying to install the game.

I installed through Uniloc, but when I try to strat FM09 is comes up with a Warning message:

'Could not locate database file C:Program files/steam/steamApps/common/..... - reverting to previous' - or something!! I press ok the warning message goes but then PC freezes.

Why is it trying to open the database through steam?? help please....

Could you delete your cache..

How to delete your Cache files

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders. Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Tools' the 'Folder Options'. The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : "C: Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Delete the “Football Manager 2009” Folder.

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Delete the “Football Manager 2009” Folder.

Mac OSX

1. Open Finder.

2. Select <User>

3. Navigate to Library\Caches\Sports Interactive

4. Remove the “Football Manager XX” Folder.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64821

Bardi,

re: post 4436, I have done the whole cache thing. I have now run the game, got to the match screen, click play to start the game, and then it closes and error warning box comes up. DirectSound Error: -2004287480. Help!

This should hopefully resolve your issue:

4. I'm getting a message that says: "Direct Sound error -2004287480" when entering a match.

Potential workaround:

- Update your sound card drivers or disable in game sound.

- To disable sound:

- Go to the Preferences screen ('Options' -> 'Preferences').

- Go to the 'Display & Sound' section.

- In the 'Sound Settings' area, deselect 'Play Sounds' and confirm your changes.

- You should also ensure your DirectX is up to date.

- Install the Microsoft DirectX re-distributable package from here:

- Web Installer: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

- Full re-distributable: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C1367BC3-4676-481A-BFAA-5C15D1D7199D&displaylang=en

- Update the SoundDriver for your particular system (visit the system manufacturer website and check their support section on drivers for your particular system - See Useful Link below for common system websites)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=55372

Hi,

just back from work and checked your message......I deleted the cache (folder which you suggested) but it still comes up with same warning message, could not locate database c:program files/steam..... why is it trying to open up a database in steam (which is already uninstalled) when Ive installed it through uniloc?

thanks

Hi,

just back from work and checked your message......I deleted the cache (folder which you suggested) but it still comes up with same warning message, could not locate database c:program files/steam..... why is it trying to open up a database in steam (which is already uninstalled) when Ive installed it through uniloc?

thanks

Lotey, I suggest attempting a full manual un-install.

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2295299&postcount=3785

Let me know if that makes a difference.

Lotey, I suggest attempting a full manual un-install.

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2295299&postcount=3785

Let me know if that makes a difference.

Hi

no it hasnt made a difference, I get the same Warning, I got it in full:

Could not use database location /C: program files/steam/steamApps/common/Football Manager 2009/updates/update-910/db/910 - reverting to default location

and then it crashes, so i have to restart the PC, I then send the error report and get this feedback:

Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

Wot should I do? im panicing now!!!

Hi

no it hasnt made a difference, I get the same Warning, I got it in full:

Could not use database location /C: program files/steam/steamApps/common/Football Manager 2009/updates/update-910/db/910 - reverting to default location

and then it crashes, so i have to restart the PC, I then send the error report and get this feedback:

Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

Wot should I do? im panicing now!!!

Have you installed the 9.2.0 patch?

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=82282

Right, last ditch attempt before I give up this game for good....

I can play the game absoloutly fine, could probably do season after season if i wanted...BUT.... after every game I have to wait literally 5 minutes before it loads and goes back on the main screen. It takes around 30 hours to do a season, whereas on previous FM's it took 20ish hours.

My laptop is only 2 years old and absoloutly everything else runs well on it apart from this...is there anything I can do/change to make FM quicker?

Any help would be appreciated and apologies if it's been covered before.

Right, last ditch attempt before I give up this game for good....

I can play the game absoloutly fine, could probably do season after season if i wanted...BUT.... after every game I have to wait literally 5 minutes before it loads and goes back on the main screen. It takes around 30 hours to do a season, whereas on previous FM's it took 20ish hours.

My laptop is only 2 years old and absoloutly everything else runs well on it apart from this...is there anything I can do/change to make FM quicker?

Any help would be appreciated and apologies if it's been covered before.

It looks like I've provided you with the links to below before, but just in case you did not go through with installing all of them then, maybe now would be the time.

2. Have you updated your Microsoft .NET framework? (http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2294041&postcount=3758)

Could you also tell me what your machine's specs are? Especially RAM.

Bardi,

I have reinstalled everything. I have installed FM09 and chosen to activate it via Uniloc. It has installed ok and there are no errors on the Installation Log. I get to the softanchor key page and enter my key. I then get the message:

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is

available.

I then went to the Known issues and solutions thread and decided to work my way through that. I downloaded the fix2 file and got as far as where you double click the activator program and got this message:

Activator.exe has stopped working

available.

I then click the launcher option, I enter my key code that I have checked at the keycode checker and then get this message:

Activator.exe has stopped working

available.

After I close that window I then get the following message:

Activation failed with error:255. Please make sure you use the correct key and try again.

Do you think I may have a problem running .exe files? I have recently reloaded Vista as I have had this problem for one week now and have tried everything suggested. I appreciate your time and help and hope we can find a solution!!!

New Q: Why does the program lack the England Premier League player pictures and insignias? Is this a licensing issue or is it a bug? Or is it a problem with my copy? I could sware that I had player pictures for the Premier League before I updated with version 9.2.0 on my PC.

Hi i was playing football manager the other day and half way through a game my laptop lost power so i plugged the power cable in and loaded the computer up again. The game had shut down so i reloaded it and now everytime i try and start a match its crashs and shuts down football manager. Then comes up with errors these are:

"Invalid token at line 1 of highlights.xml"

"Invalid token at line 1 of speed.xml"

So basically i cant play football manager because of this problem can someone please help me im driving myself mad.

I then went to the Known issues and solutions thread and decided to work my way through that. I downloaded the fix2 file and got as far as where you double click the activator program and got this message:

This may be occuring because there's actually a newer fix available (fix3) that you can find at http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=65715.

Hopefully this will resolve the issue you've been facing. Please do let me know in either case.

Hi i was playing football manager the other day and half way through a game my laptop lost power so i plugged the power cable in and loaded the computer up again. The game had shut down so i reloaded it and now everytime i try and start a match its crashs and shuts down football manager. Then comes up with errors these are:

"Invalid token at line 1 of highlights.xml"

"Invalid token at line 1 of speed.xml"

So basically i cant play football manager because of this problem can someone please help me im driving myself mad.

Could you delete your cache..

How to delete your Cache files

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders. Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Tools' the 'Folder Options'. The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : "C: Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Delete the “Football Manager 2009” Folder.

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Delete the “Football Manager 2009” Folder.

Mac OSX

1. Open Finder.

2. Select <User>

3. Navigate to Library\Caches\Sports Interactive

4. Remove the “Football Manager XX” Folder.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64821

You don't need to have FM 09 running to install the 9.2.0 patch - as long as the game is installed, then the patch should install.

Hi,

thanks, I downloaded the patch to my desktop, I dont know if it is installed, but its the same problem with the same message!!!

Is there no hope for me, because it seems like your struggling with my problem!!!

Kind regards

Archived