Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dear Bardi and FM testing team,

Many game supporters experienced the problem of "fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" after launching the game by clicking the FM icon. It is a very serious issue and many supporters suffered of it.

Please Please Please pay much more effort to above problem and provide solution in short time, otherwise many of supporters will not only feel dissapointed, also angry. This is my feeling to the game when you cant play the game after bought it 3 weeks ago....

If you were me, what you will feel?

James

jamestam,

All I can do is to re-assure you that everyone is working very hard at SI to get the second patch ready sooner rather than later. It's entering a sensitive period, hence explaining why, for example, you're having to wait longer to be replied to - the number one priority has shifted for the time being.

I know you are looking for more than just re-assuring words from SI, but, unfortunately, that's all I can offer you at this moment in time.

Hi

Im experiencing a problem that seems to be on going and has affected others but I cant find a solution for it, only this is being looked into.

Ive played about 10 matches and then during my next match I go to make a sub and I get a message saying

-" A serious error was encountered and the application will close" then it creates an error file in a crash dump folder.

Ive tried playing the match again but again i get the same error so now I cant play the game anymore. Ive also tried playing in windows

mode but this made no difference either.

Can you please advise how to fix this problem? Ive installed latest patch and latest Microsoft SDK and latest DirectX

UPDATE

_______

Ive done some of my own testing to rule out as many things as possible for you guys. Ive tried playing matches 3D version, 2D version,

classic view and I get the error and the game crashes when I go to make a sub. I also tried to switch to 2d classic without even making

a sub I got the error and the game crashed.

I also even tried on commentary only so running no other screens and when I hit tactics the game crashed.

Please can someone address this asap as Im not the only one who has had this problem but at the minute the game is completely

unplayable

thanks in advance

Hey irishjones,

Could you please upload your save game?

Details on how can be found at http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=54927

Please let me know the name of your save game once it has been uploaded.

For anyone who has been re-directed to updating their .NET framework on this thread (either by me or anyone else), please ensure you've downloaded the appropriate file (XP or Vista), and the accompanying Service Pack for it.

XP Users

Click the links below and download the two files, then install the files in the order they are listed here. When the installation of the last file is complete re-start the computer.

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 (This is a cumulative bug fix for the file above)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=79BC3B77-E02C-4AD3-AACF-A7633F706BA5&displaylang=en

(Please note, these files require Windows Service Pack 2 or above being installed on your computer to run).

Vista Users

First download and install these two files and when installation is finished re-start the computer

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7&displaylang=en

Bardi, this is my 3rd post & i'm still waiting for a response!

Have you found a solution to error s1023 for the direcx sdk download?

And yes i have tried the suggestion on the other forum about downloading it in the main admin profile & installing it in another, but it still doesn't work!

Please can you let me know if you have any other ideas???

Unfortunately, other than the suggested workarounds that have already been shared here, I don't currently have a better idea of how to resolve this installation issue.

You may want to try asking at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssdk/threads/ - they may be of more help.

Well I have emailed Uniloc but have had no response it has been 3 days now. I have tried the chat to a rep but no one is ever available - is there anything else you can suggest - I just keeo getting the SOft Anchor screen saying 'Trial Period Has Expired'

Sorry Roozy45 for all the trouble you've been experiencing.

Could you go to http://deactivation.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ and let me know what information you're returned when you put in your product key and press the button?

Additionally, have you tried installing FM 09 on another machine activating it with the same code?

I haven't downloaded any custom graphics.

I am on XP. I have the FM 09 Patch 9.1.0, installed Java for windows (nov 2008 release), installed Direct X SDK, and graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 6800 with installed driver version 6.14.11.7824, (released October 2008). My monitor is a Viewsonic VE710b-2.

I initially tried installing through steam but that didn;t work properly because of a platform error. I then downloaded through Unioc, and it installs fine but the moment I open the programme the error message comes up and it crashes.

Any help gratefully received.

You've stated elsewhere you've performed a full uninstall - can you please confirm that included the deletion of the FM 09 cache, registry entries, and any files that may have been left behind after running the uninstall application?

Bardi,

I have been told you are the oracle that is all problems FM!! Can you please help me. I have a brand new MacBook Pro and installed the game, played it for a couple of days and loved it. All of a sudden when I try to open up the game it shows the following error message: The application Football Manager 2009 v 9.0.0 f 23552 quit unexpectadly. It wont even let me in the bloody game!

I tried downloading patch, and the only thing that changed was the numbers on the error message.

I tried uninstalling, removing all files and trying again, but no joy.

I tried ringing the helpline, on a Saturday, but they could not help.

They told me you were a god like figure with knowledge and power!

PLEASE HELP ME!!

Hey MikeA,

Have you added any custom graphics to your game?

Have you attempted an un-install/re-install of the game?

I ve done everything you syggest in the 1st page but I still get an -1 error during activation.I've checked the key and I'm using the right one.I have Vista 64.Please HELP,I bought fm 3 weeks ago and I can't play it...

Have you run the fix located at http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=65715?

The above is version 3 of the fix - the one on the first page is an outdated fix.

Hey MikeA,

Have you added any custom graphics to your game?

Have you attempted an un-install/re-install of the game?

No added graphics on the game, and i have tried all of the uninstall stuff. Kinda funny when I spoke to someone at SI they seemed to be resigned to another problem with the game!

All help most welcome, as they didn't seem to have any ideas

at the begining of the second season i am thrown out of the game with error message comes up saying 'a serious error was encountered and the application will close. An error file has been generated in My documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/crash dumps'

Please help:(

I loaded the game in and was playing it nicely, then I had to reboot my system, so I loaded the game back in again and now I can't play it even though on the Steam page it's 100% loaded and ready to play.

I tried the PROGRAM FILES/STEAM/STEAMAPPS/COMMON/FOOTBALL MANAGER 2009/FM.EXE route and all I get is the message

'The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002), press OK to terminate the application'

I'm starting to go mental here, ALL I WANT TO DO IS PLAY THE GAME!!!

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2294041&postcount=3758

Hello,

i keep getting fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience up every time i try to start it

what can i do?

could you send it to bartbogaert1018@hotmail.com

1. Have you installed the v9.1.0 patch? (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=60961)

2. Have you installed Microsoft DirectX SDK? (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en)

3. Have you updated your Microsoft .NET framework? (http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2294041&postcount=3758)

4. Make sure you have your graphics card's latest drivers installed.

I have a question..

I have bought and installed my fm09 but am having problems activating it..

I have the registration key and everything but I don't have internet connection.. Is there a way to register without internet or phone?

Unfortunately not.

If you do not have an Internet connection, a phone activation is your only option.

been playing fm09 happily without problems since i got it..but now i go to open up the program and its keeps coming up;

"FM09 has stopped working"

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: fm.exe

Application Version: 9.0.0.23544

Application Timestamp: 48ff2377

Fault Module Name: fm.exe

Fault Module Version: 9.0.0.23544

Fault Module Timestamp: 48ff2377

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00bfbf57

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: aa9c

Additional Information 2: 00e6300fac05cee8bb11ab1f62618af7

Additional Information 3: c2d4

Additional Information 4: a8628c474df9f0c2ac7867ae8ad01acc

Read our privacy statement:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

tried restarting pc to solve it..not happening!

any ideas guys?

cheers

You're not running the patched version of the game.

Please look at http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2294874&postcount=3771

Hey, i just installed steam and opened football manager 2009, it goes thru the opening credits then starts loading in the bottom right hand corner but thats as far is it gets it comes up with football manager has stopped working and then closes, any ideas wot the problem mite b and how i can solve it?

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2294874&postcount=3771

Hi Bardi,

I've uploaded my save game as requested, it's called Ted1.fm. I'm managing in England and have the Spanish and Italian leagues active. Would the crash dump files be of any help to you?

Thanks.

I can't seem to reproduce your crash, Dalglish.

What this definitely means is that whatever was causing your crash has been fixed in the second patch, and that the fix is 99% save game compatible.

i am in my six season and everything going great and then randomly fm closed by its self. so i went to load it back up but it wouldnt load. none of my save games will.

everytime i try to load a game or start a new one a message comes up sayin "game could not load"

so i tried starting a new game and i gt as far as the size of database. once i have picked a size it starts creating game and then closes and message come sup sayin "a serious error was encounterd and the application will close. an error file has been generated in :ADAMCRAGOPC/C:/users/adamcrago/documents/sportsinteractive/footballmanager2009/crash dumps

what does that mean and what has happened ??

some one please help

sorry to rite this agen but bardi u seem to answered everyones propblem accept mine please help

how the hell do i fix not well-formed (invalid token) at first line of last_saved_game.xml

plz answer i have re installed loads of times

You will need to delete your cache.

- Make sure FM is not running.

- On Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings\ (using Windows Explorer, Application Data is hidden by default but you should get to it by typing the path)

- On Windows Vista: C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings\ (using Windows Explorer, AppData is hidden but you should get to it by typing the path)

- On Mac OS X: /Users/<your username>/Library/Preferences/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/ (In the Finder Sidebar: Click your username, then go to Library -> Preferences -> etc..)

- Delete all sub-folders in this (the 'Settings' folder). Do not delete the entire "Football Manager 2009" folder in "Application Data"

- Now try to run the game.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?p=2062028#post2062028

jamestam,

All I can do is to re-assure you that everyone is working very hard at SI to get the second patch ready sooner rather than later. It's entering a sensitive period, hence explaining why, for example, you're having to wait longer to be replied to - the number one priority has shifted for the time being.

I know you are looking for more than just re-assuring words from SI, but, unfortunately, that's all I can offer you at this moment in time.

Dear Bardi,

Thanks. I hope the coming path can fix all the problems the supporters now are facing with. Otherwise it will cause further complaints and total loss of confidence to SI/SEGA.

Anyway thanks for your reply.

James

at the begining of the second season i am thrown out of the game with error message comes up saying 'a serious error was encountered and the application will close. An error file has been generated in My documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/crash dumps'

Please help:(

Can you tell me what leagues you are playing? Also, what is the date of your crash?

i am in my six season and everything going great and then randomly fm closed by its self. so i went to load it back up but it wouldnt load. none of my save games will.

everytime i try to load a game or start a new one a message comes up sayin "game could not load"

so i tried starting a new game and i gt as far as the size of database. once i have picked a size it starts creating game and then closes and message come sup sayin "a serious error was encounterd and the application will close. an error file has been generated in :ADAMCRAGOPC/C:/users/adamcrago/documents/sportsinteractive/footballmanager2009/crash dumps

what does that mean and what has happened ??

some one please help

sorry to rite this agen but bardi u seem to answered everyones propblem accept mine please help

Sorry AdamCrago for that.. A lot of posts to go through - likely to have missed out on more than the one.

Have you had this same problem when starting a new game with a small database?

thanks for replying bardi ....

i have the same problem wen loading any save game or stating any new game i cant play the game atall. i dont understand how one minite i was playing next my hole fm wont let me play any sort of game .

please help:(

If you haven't already, please first perform a complete un-install.

- Run the un-installer

- How to complete a Manual Uninstall

To Remove the Game files follow these steps:

Windows XP

1: Open “My Computer”

2: Navigate to “C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive

Windows Vista

1: Click “Start”

2: Click “Computer”

3: Navigate to “C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive

If you have more than one version of the game installed (For example, you have FM2007 and FM2008 installed) and only wish to remove one then go into the Sports Interactive Folder and delete the folder of the game you wish to remove.

Next you need to remove save games and other content (your saved games are in the 'games' folder - move its content out of here if you wish to keep your saved games)

Windows XP:

1: Open “My Computer”

2: Navigate to “C:\Documents and Settings\<Name>\My Documents”

Vista:

1: Click on “Start”

2: Click on “Computer”

3: Navagate to “C:\Users\<Name>\Documents”

Look for the Sports Interactive Folder and follow the same steps for the game files.

Next remove your Cache files

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders. Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Tools' the 'Folder Options'. The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Delete the “Football Manager XX” Folder.

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Delete the “Football Manager XX” Folder.

Mac OSX

1. Open Finder.

2. Select <User>

3. Navigate to Library\Caches\Sports Interactive

4. Remove the “Football Manager XX” Folder.

How to Delete your Registry Files

Finally you will need to edit your registry to remove information Sports Interactive stores there.

To do this follow these steps:

Windows Xp

2: Click on “Run”

3: In the text prompt box type “regedit”

4: Navigate to:

Windows Vista

2: In the Search box type “regedit”

3: Navigate to: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\

4: Delete the “Sports Interactive Ltd” Folder.

Note: Please do not tamper with anything else in this folder, your registry is very sensitive and changing something could cause your computer to malfunction.

Once all the steps above are complete your computer will be completely uninstalled.

And, then, go through the check-list on http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2294874&postcount=3771.

cheers ill try that but one problem wen i open the uninstall folder there is only an internet file that wen opened comes up with aload of writting the actual uninstall.exe file aint there . thats why i havent tried unistalling before. how will i unistall the game ?

cheers ill try that but one problem wen i open the uninstall folder there is nothing in there to unistall fm. thats why i havent tried unistalling before. how will i unistall the game ?

Go to the Control Panel, and select..

- Add/Remove Program (XP)

or

- Programs -> Uninstall a Program (Vista)

Go to the Control Panel, and select..

- Add/Remove Program (XP)

or

- Programs -> Uninstall a Program (Vista)

sorry to be a pain in the ass but wen i open add and remove programs it doesnt even show football manager 2009 on my computer i shows mi 2008 but not 2009 i dont get it ??

Hey DJBell,

You would just need to make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card installed.

Let us know if you're running into this same error, once you do.

Done that, but still having same error, Facegen was disabled because it failed to initialize. Please check log file for details.

Any ideas?

My computer can't play fm2009. The problem is that the computer can't read the dvd. It can read normal cd-roms and a other dvd-rom. And the driver is update. So there is nothing wrong with the drive.

And there is nothing wrong fm2009. I have tried to run it on 2 other computers, and it worked without problems. It is genuine dvd..

Can you help me..

Is there region difference on the Fm2009 dvd??

Masphsa, there is a chance it could be drivers, DVD format has not changed but over the years some compatible improvements are made.

You could enter your key into Steam, and download the game from there. It will work without the DVD and you don't have to use Steam afterward if you dont want to.

I played the game fine for 3 weeks but then had a powercut while playing and after it just comes up with 'xml parsing error' 'not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 profile 0.xml . Tried all the solutions put up, reinstalling game and checking disk. Anyone know how I could fix this? cheers

I played the game fine for 3 weeks but then had a powercut while playing and after it just comes up with 'xml parsing error' 'not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 profile 0.xml . Tried all the solutions put up, reinstalling game and checking disk. Anyone know how I could fix this? cheers

One of the SI lads posted a procedure to 100% remove every trace of FM from your PC earlier today, if you remove every single thing including the cache and the documents portions, then your problem should go away.

how do I enter my code into steam and download it from there??

i. Download and install Steam

ii. Launch Steam, and go to the "My Games" tab.

iii. From this tab there should be two buttons down the end: register a steam game, and register a non-steam game. Register FM as a Steam game, and it will then be available for you to download.

I have installed mine through steam... When I try to load it, I get a screen that shows me the product key and it says Launch game, when I press launch game there is an error, please try another time.

any help would be appreciated.

anyone?

I really want to play it.

Sorry if this problem has been covered, I don't want to read through 38 pages.

Archived