Known issues and solutions - FAQ

I took the skin in the "Sports Interactive"-map in "My Documents" but after that I could not run FM09. I tried to uninstall, delete the Football Manager 2009-maps and installed again, but do not worked, and I did not find something help on this site. What shall I do?:confused:`

I have also deleted the skin.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I took the skin in the "Sports Interactive"-map in "My Documents" but after that I could not run FM09. I tried to uninstall, delete the Football Manager 2009-maps and installed again, but do not worked, and I did not find something help on this site. What shall I do?:confused:`

I have also deleted the skin.

What exactly did you move from "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009" to "My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009"?

Hi Bardi,

Thanks for your response, i've actually found a different solution. I've managed to get a loan of a relative's video card (an Nvidia Geforce 6600 with 256Mb RAM) and replaced mine and this appears to work fine. In the game i've now got to late August in my first season and played around 6 or 7 matches and the error has not happened once. I don't have to return the video card for a few days so i'll continue to test it for as long as possible. I've done nothing else other than install the card, i'm using the same drivers as was running the 8800GT and have done absolutely nothing else to the machine. With this in mind do you feel that this may be indicative of a faulty video card? The reason i ask is because the computer was only purchased in March this year and so is still under warranty.

This is the error message i get when using the Geforce 8800GT:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293078

Thanks

Quite possibly, Dalglish.

Were you ever experiencing any display related issues pre-FM 09?

The same drivers are working because they're compatible with both graphics cards listed - you can see when selecting the 'Products Supported' tab at http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_178.24_whql.html.

What exactly did you move from "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009" to "My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009"?

I did not moved ANYTHING from Program Files to My Documents. When I downloaded the skin I downloaded the skin in the folder "My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\Skins. I don't know whats the problem. Its just stopped to work. I thought maybe I could delete the skin to get it work, but nothing happend:mad:

I did not moved ANYTHING from Program Files to My Documents. When I downloaded the skin I downloaded the skin in the folder "My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\Skins. I don't know whats the problem. Its just stopped to work. I thought maybe I could delete the skin to get it work, but nothing happend:mad:

Try resetting your cache by..

How to delete your Cache files

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders. Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Tools' the 'Folder Options'. The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Delete the “Football Manager XX” Folder.

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Delete the “Football Manager XX” Folder.

Mac OSX

1. Open Finder.

2. Select <User>

3. Navigate to Library\Caches\Sports Interactive

4. Remove the “Football Manager XX” Folder.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=74469

Quite possibly, Dalglish.

Were you ever experiencing any display related issues pre-FM 09?

The same drivers are working because they're compatible with both graphics cards listed - you can see when selecting the 'Products Supported' tab at http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_178.24_whql.html.

Not really but i don't play an awful lot of games. Certainly not had any problems playing video material either on the internet or from DVDs. The only other games i'd installed are quite old (Deus Ex) and they seem fine.

Yes i had looked into the compatability of the driver for both cards. I feel that if the older card works without updating the drivers then there can't be a problem with the game and these particular drivers. Do you feel it worth me chasing the manufacturer of the computer for a replacement video card?

Hi i installed my game and played it for the past week or so, i have just downloaded and installed the patch and my game seems to be now not on my computer but the patch is, while installing the patch i got the error that it couldnt install 158 or summit,, i am not at home and want to continue playing.. any suggetions thanks. im on laptop.

Not really but i don't play an awful lot of games. Certainly not had any problems playing video material either on the internet or from DVDs. The only other games i'd installed are quite old (Deus Ex) and they seem fine.

Yes i had looked into the compatability of the driver for both cards. I feel that if the older card works without updating the drivers then there can't be a problem with the game and these particular drivers. Do you feel it worth me chasing the manufacturer of the computer for a replacement video card?

Again, I can't say for sure.

If you're willing to go through the trouble, then it wouldn't hurt.

Or, you can wait till the second patch is released, and see if that has resolved any existing issues you've been having with it.

And, on an off-topic note, Deus Ex was and still very much is a masterpiece :)

Bardi have you found a solution to my problem? I have listed the DXDIAG you needed. Thanks a lot for your support!

I haven't exactly found you a solution (seeing as I'm unsure exactly what is causing you your problem), but to begin with I can redirect you to..

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/mobility-xp

Your latest set of drivers for your graphics card.

Download.

Install.

Run the game.

Fingers crossed it will fix things, but if it doesn't let us know.

Hello, I write from Spain. Excuse me for my English.

I have a problem with Football Manager 2009. When I finish the first season on July 24, 2009 there is produced a mistake that does not leave me to continue playing. This has happened to me in two different games.

The error is generated in the folder " Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\crash dumps ".

AppName: fm.exe AppVer: 9.1.0.26064 ModName: fm.exe ModVer: 9.1.0.26064 Offset: 00a0ea6a

I would be grateful that you were giving to me a solution as soon as possible. I doesn’t even one month that I bought the game and already it gives me many problems.

Thanks

Hello, I write from Spain. Excuse me for my English.

I have a problem with Football Manager 2009. When I finish the first season on July 24, 2009 there is produced a mistake that does not leave me to continue playing. This has happened to me in two different games.

The error is generated in the folder " Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\crash dumps ".

AppName: fm.exe AppVer: 9.1.0.26064 ModName: fm.exe ModVer: 9.1.0.26064 Offset: 00a0ea6a

I would be grateful that you were giving to me a solution as soon as possible. I doesn’t even one month that I bought the game and already it gives me many problems.

Thanks

Can you please confirm that you were running the Italian Serie C?

If yes, this is a well known crash that occurs whenever the Italian Serie C is selected. This will have been fixed in the second patch.

Bardi, I did update my drivers right now. Uninstalled then reinstalled and still the game wouldn't launch. As I previously described my issue, FM was launching at first and I was playing the game normally, then I tried to launch the game and nothing happened, it just wouldn't launch. It's a really weird problem cause I've been reading through the posts in the forum and none of them have encountered a problem I have. I hope this wouldn't drag too long for me and for you =P Again, thanks a lot!

Bardi, I did update my drivers right now. Uninstalled then reinstalled and still the game wouldn't launch. As I previously described my issue, FM was launching at first and I was playing the game normally, then I tried to launch the game and nothing happened, it just wouldn't launch. It's a really weird problem cause I've been reading through the posts in the forum and none of them have encountered a problem I have. I hope this wouldn't drag too long for me and for you =P Again, thanks a lot!

Is there anything you may have installed on your computer that potentially caused FM 09 to stop running for you?

Can you please confirm that you were running the Italian Serie C?

If yes, this is a well known crash that occurs whenever the Italian Serie C is selected. This will have been fixed in the second patch.

Hello Bardi, thanks for answering.

I initiated a league in " League BBVA " the first division in Spain. I could play without problems but when I come at the end of the season, in the date of July 26, 2009 the error is produced.

I returned to initiate another game in the same league but with another different team but, again, when I come to the same date the same mistake is produced.

I do not know what I have to do … I am a bit desperate … You believe that it is possible to solve this problem?

Hello Bardi, thanks for answering.

I initiated a league in " League BBVA " the first division in Spain. I could play without problems but when I come at the end of the season, in the date of July 26, 2009 the error is produced.

I returned to initiate another game in the same league but with another different team but, again, when I come to the same date the same mistake is produced.

I do not know what I have to do … I am a bit desperate … You believe that it is possible to solve this problem?

So, if I understood you correctly, you are NOT running the Italian Serie C in your saved game? i.e. I'm not saying you're managing a club in there, but that when you started a new game you selected for it to run Italy (down to at least the Serie C) with Spain.

Is there anything you may have installed on your computer that potentially caused FM 09 to stop running for you?

I don't really think so Bardi. All that I installed after FM was Adobe Flashplayer 10, Firefox 3, WLM. I think that's probably it. I don't think that they could create some problems that could hinder the game from launching.

What sort of programs are on your mind? I don't think that there any that would have created this problem. I don't know, I guess you know more than me about these sort of things.

Hi,

I've had a few problems with fm09 so far but nothing a quick scour over this forum couldn't fix.

I have just had a load of errors pop up when I tried to open up the game, one after the others.

Does this mean anything to you...?

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-unit testing errors.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-SKIN_CHANNEL.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-FILE_NAME_ERRORS.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-MEMORY_CHANNEL.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-DATABASE_RECORD_ALLOCATOR_CHANNEL.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-comp_errors.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-person pictures.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-SHADER_ERROR_CHANNEL.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-assert.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-comp_xml.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-TEAM_SELECTOR_DEBUG.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-MATCH_BALL_CHANNEL.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-COMMENTATOR_LOG.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-live_league_table_debug.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-MATCH_TESTS_CHANNEL.xml

Am I royally screwed, or can I do something?

Thanks

I don't really think so Bardi. All that I installed after FM was Adobe Flashplayer 10, Firefox 3, WLM. I think that's probably it. I don't think that they could create some problems that could hinder the game from launching.

What sort of programs are on your mind? I don't think that there any that would have created this problem. I don't know, I guess you know more than me about these sort of things.

Have you tried un-installing all of the above? You never know sometimes. I certainly don't here, to be honest.

So, if I understood you correctly, you are NOT running the Italian Serie C in your saved game? i.e. I'm not saying you're managing a club in there, but that when you started a new game you selected for it to run Italy (down to at least the Serie C) with Spain.

Hello Bardi,

Yes I have selected the Italian series C1, but I don't have any team in this league. What can I do to solve the problem?

thanks very much sigames btw. i recently purchased football manager 09 for my pc. i thought as the other one works fine on my computer this one will work fine too. but no. i dont even get an icon on the dvd drive. now i cant even take the game back to where i bought it from because your guys arent letting people return them. hope you have fun spending my £27.99!

Hello Bardi,

Yes I have selected the Italian series C1, but I don't have any team in this league. What can I do to solve the problem?

You can't do anything now, I'm afraid.

You can either start a new game, or wait for the second patch, which will have fixed this issue and hopefully be saved game compatible.

You can't do anything now, I'm afraid.

You can either start a new game, or wait for the second patch, which will have fixed this issue and hopefully be saved game compatible.

Hello Bardi,

I have dedicated many hours to this game since I bought the game, it is a bad news and I'm very very disappointed. When you believe that you will be able to arrange this mistake? I will be able to continue with my game?

Can I extract the Series C1 in my initiated game? If I begin a new game without the series C1 do you guarantee me that the same problem will not happen?

after 2 weeks of running fine....i now get a message saying fm2009 is running dangerously low on memory. fm2009 will now quit.

my laptop has 1gb of RAM so that shouldnt be a problem...but no matterwhat i do i cant solve this problem.

any help?

hi guys, bought the game on the first day, went through the same issues as everyone else and eventually got the game loaded and got to say it's great. just writing to say as i can't get on the bug reporting folder of this website that i've been in 2 seasons and ever since i've started i've had at least 2 injuries every game since i started, which has culminated at the moment in me having 9 players unavailable, i know that some teams get hit from injuries but not sure if this was a bug or not? i know alot of stick has been handed out to you guys but i understand that it's not personally your fault and i for one appreciate the fact you're out here on the front line trying to ensure everyone gets the game running smoothly. please note 9 times out of 10 it's just gamers frustration and nothing personal. keep up the good work. janesy

hey guys,

ive been playing the game now since the first day of release even after the nightmare of activating it and all has been well till about 10 mins ago, i saved my game this morning

came back to it tried to load it up by clicking on the desktop icon but nothing happened,

tried again then got a message saying that football manager 2009 was unavailable at this time

so i restarted my computer then tried again, this time no message just nothing happening.

so i try to open steam and launce the game that way but steam wont even load up???

anyone got any ideas how to help me

cheers :)

Hey there,

You mentioned trying everything including changing screen sizes - did that include trying to play the game in 'Windowed' mode?

Thanks for the response-i have tried it in windowed mode- will try again though.....

If this is still unsuccesful have you any other ideas??

I appreciate your response

I have Windows Vista. I clicks on my name from the start-menu, then Application Data, Roaming, but in the Roaming-folder I don't see FM09. I just find Microsoft and in the Microsoft-folder i find "Windows" and its nothing in the Windows-folder. Is it something wrong?:confused:

Yo

Anyone having trouble adding in future transfers on the editor? I'm trying to organise the Huntelaar deal to Madrid and each time I add it, I start a new game and it doesn't add it in in the way I planned it. Then when I load the editor it is like I never typed in the details etc.

Has this happened to anyone else, and is there a fix for it?

Hi there, I was just wondering if the 27th August 2009 bug will also be fixed in the next patch as I've not read (in the last 15pages at least) confirmation as to whether it would be or not...

Since it seems to be quite a common issue I was hoping that it would be solved sooner rather than later as my game is un-playable at the moment.

Hi,

I have been playing FM2009 a few weeks now on my macbook pro. Its been running fine etc but today it stopped working suddenly. I have no idea why. Can anyone help?

When I double click my game, it will just load the logo, etc and will quit suddenly desktop again with no warning message or anything.

I don't think clearing the cached working and reinstalling didnt work either.

Please help. Thanks!

Gordon

In order to be able to run FM 09 via your disc drive, you will need a DVD (and NOT CD) drive. This is the first game in the series to be released in DVD format.

However, you could download the game via Steam, and then use the product key of the purchased FM 09 DVD to activate the game.

i wish it was just the game i could'nt load but i can no longer play DVD's,CD's,or CD-ROMS!!:mad:,I tried using Steam for the demo and got no joy

Bardi et al........ I have just got my pc back after nine days, from having it checked out for any problems, for a second time, cost £36. It has come back as not having any faults and all appropriate drivers etc are up to date. My specifications are also as required [see previous posts].

I have just spent an hour looking through the forums to see if the problems of game freezing, crashing and causing errors and closing down, have been resolved. Apart from seeing somewhere that Paul Collyer has said that patch #2 may be out before Christmas, I can not find anything that helps. From this, do I assume that the same problems still exist within the game? I do not really want to reinstall the game for the third time only to find that it will continue throwing up the same problems as before. Has anyone seen anything that I may have missed, please?

Hi,

I've had a few problems with fm09 so far but nothing a quick scour over this forum couldn't fix.

I have just had a load of errors pop up when I tried to open up the game, one after the others.

Does this mean anything to you...?

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-unit testing errors.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-SKIN_CHANNEL.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-FILE_NAME_ERRORS.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-MEMORY_CHANNEL.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-DATABASE_RECORD_ALLOCATOR_CHANNEL.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-comp_errors.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-person pictures.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-SHADER_ERROR_CHANNEL.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-assert.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-comp_xml.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-TEAM_SELECTOR_DEBUG.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-MATCH_BALL_CHANNEL.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-COMMENTATOR_LOG.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-live_league_table_debug.xml"

"not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of channel-MATCH_TESTS_CHANNEL.xml

Am I royally screwed, or can I do something?

Thanks

Could you please perform the following to reset your cache. Once you have, try to restart the game. If you're still experiencing this once you do, let us know.

How to delete your Cache files

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders. Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Tools' the 'Folder Options'. The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Delete the “Football Manager XX” Folder.

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Delete the “Football Manager XX” Folder.

Mac OSX

1. Open Finder.

2. Select <User>

3. Navigate to Library\Caches\Sports Interactive

4. Remove the “Football Manager XX” Folder.

Hello Bardi,

I have dedicated many hours to this game since I bought the game, it is a bad news and I'm very very disappointed. When you believe that you will be able to arrange this mistake? I will be able to continue with my game?

Can I extract the Series C1 in my initiated game? If I begin a new game without the series C1 do you guarantee me that the same problem will not happen?

I understand your frustration - I would be feeling the same, if I were you.

This will definitely have been fixed in the second patch. As far as a release for this is concerned, the only information I can share is that it was stated elsewhere on the forums by Paul Collyer that the aim is to get it out before Christmas. Whether or not you'll be able to continue your saved game once you've installed the second patch, I'm not 100% sure, unfortunately.

If you do start a new game without the Serie C, what I can guarantee is that the SAME crash will definitely not occur.

after 2 weeks of running fine....i now get a message saying fm2009 is running dangerously low on memory. fm2009 will now quit.

my laptop has 1gb of RAM so that shouldnt be a problem...but no matterwhat i do i cant solve this problem.

any help?

Have you tried un-installing/re-installing the game?

Does this occur at random or specific points in your game?

Could you have installed anything new on your computer that may have triggered this response?

oh and secondly, do you know the release date for the 2nd patch yet and if so will steam download it automatically? thanks janesy

Release date has not been announced yet, but the aim is to have it released before Christmas.

Steam, I believe, should automatically download it, as soon as it is made public.

hey guys,

ive been playing the game now since the first day of release even after the nightmare of activating it and all has been well till about 10 mins ago, i saved my game this morning

came back to it tried to load it up by clicking on the desktop icon but nothing happened,

tried again then got a message saying that football manager 2009 was unavailable at this time

so i restarted my computer then tried again, this time no message just nothing happening.

so i try to open steam and launce the game that way but steam wont even load up???

anyone got any ideas how to help me

cheers :)

Did you do anything on the computer since your last successful run of the game and now that you think may have caused this?

Have you tried un-installing/re-installing Steam?

Or trying to run FM 09 by going to "C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/" instead of using your Desktop's shortcut?

I have Windows Vista. I clicks on my name from the start-menu, then Application Data, Roaming, but in the Roaming-folder I don't see FM09. I just find Microsoft and in the Microsoft-folder i find "Windows" and its nothing in the Windows-folder. Is it something wrong?:confused:

Go to "C:\Users" and try to locate what you're supposed to be looking for manually. You should have at least a few different user accounts to choose from.

hi. i bought this a few days but when i go to play the game, he goes down and open an window and says:

Warning

DirectSound Error: -2004287480

Please help me this is making me crazy

This should fix the problem you've been having:

I'm getting a message that says: "Direct Sound error -2004287480" when entering a match.

Potential workaround:

- Update your sound card drivers or disable in game sound.

- To disable sound:

- Go to the Preferences screen ('Options' -> 'Preferences').

- Go to the 'Display & Sound' section.

- In the 'Sound Settings' area, deselect 'Play Sounds' and confirm your changes.

- You should also ensure your DirectX is up to date.

- Install the Microsoft DirectX re-distributable package from here:

- Web Installer: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

- Full re-distributable: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

- Update the SoundDriver for your particular system (visit the system manufacturer website and check their support section on drivers for your particular system - See Useful Link below for common system websites)

Hi there, I was just wondering if the 27th August 2009 bug will also be fixed in the next patch as I've not read (in the last 15pages at least) confirmation as to whether it would be or not...

Since it seems to be quite a common issue I was hoping that it would be solved sooner rather than later as my game is un-playable at the moment.

This issue will have been fixed in the second patch. The probability of being able to resume your saved game once you install it should be good, but not certain.

I finally fixed my Data Editor by downloading the 2 programmes from Microsoft. Thank you very much for the tip:)

However I now have another problem in the game: Since applying the 2 suggested programmes from Microsoft to fix the editor, the focus is a bit weird when playing the game: E.G: When I use the bars to set tactics they keep scrolling to the end of the bar even if I only click once and I cant write anything in "Search" without pressing enter each time I type in a letter. Although the "search"-bug is annoying, I can live with it, but not being able to set tactics due to the scrolling-bar problem, I cant really play the game right.

Does anyone know how I can fix this, pls?

Archived