Known issues and solutions - FAQ

Thanks SI, I've finally got the game working after around a week. I hope thar windowed mode is just temporary and the main window will be sorted soon. I'm lucky though as i get a white screen with the pop saying "Football Manager is not responding" so i say to wait for a response and it seems to work... don't know why...

I hope to be using the main window and sound soon

Im getting this exact same problem, asked for help on here 4 times and no-one has responded! :thdn::confused:

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Steve Cox, I don't understand why you've been unable to respond to my post,yet you have responded to posts after mine? I really would appreciate assistance. My problem is:

fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience

AppName:fm.exe AppVer:9.0.0.23544 ModName: fm.exe ModVer: 9.0.0.23544 Offset:00bff79b

many thanks

Because I'm trying to find an answer for you which I don't have at this moment.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your quick reply but i didn't use Steam, i used Uniloc.

Okay.

Could you get a copy of your dxdiag and post it here so I can take a look at it?

It might be the case that your drivers need updating, failing that it may be a problem with the Cache files but I'll know more once I see your dxdiag.

to get this:

Click Start

Click run or click in the vista search box.

Type "dxdiag" and press return.

Once the program has finished scanning select "save all information" and save to a place you'll remember.

Open the .txt file and copy/paste the information into a post here.

Cheers.

Hi,

So basically to play the game i need to be connected to the internet or buy a new pc/laptop and even then its not guarenteed to work! Will i be able to return the game because of this?

Thanks for your assistance

you can download that file, put it onto a CD or USB key and take it home with you from where you do have internet access.

daveyhopdot-

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

Right-click on the FM shortcut.

Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.

In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences

Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:

C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/

If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:

C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

To stop the game freezing when going to a match - In the game go to Preferences > Display & Sound and in the 'Display Mode' section in the top left hand corner of the screen click the drop down box and select 'Windowed' then confirm your changes. Hope this helps

just want to say thanks to gudge for finally sorting my problems out, I think it was down to changing the display mode to windowed as when i tried starting a match it still said xml.parsing error but instead of crashing the game stayed in the background and i just clicked on the ok and it hasn't done it since 'touch wood' its a shame about the problems as its a really good addictive game

I have downloaded the game 3 days ago now and still had no joy at getting it to work, I downloaded via steam as recommended and after initailly being told that my game had already been activated I managed to use the laucher application to get the game to register but now when ever I launch it through steam or directly through the fm.exe nothing happens, no errors just a process apprears in my task manager!! I have completely rmoved steam and reinstalled both that and fm and still no joy!

I opened a ticket with steam on friday and am yet to have any useful assistance from them, is this ever going to be resolved or are si/steam goig to start offering refunds for this god awful depolyment fiasco!

I am Having problems with football manager 2009.When i start a new game it works all fine but when i get to play a game it starts to set up the match and then crashes and tells me direct sound error.i've tryed to install the new patch but it hasn't done anything.

I am Having problems with football manager 2009.When i start a new game it works all fine but when i get to play a game it starts to set up the match and then crashes and tells me direct sound error.i've tryed to install the new patch but it hasn't done anything.

Please try the following:

4. I'm getting a message that says: "Direct Sound error -2004287480" when entering a match.

Potential workaround:

- Update your sound card drivers or disable in game sound.

- To disable sound:

- Go to the Preferences screen ('Options' -> 'Preferences').

- Go to the 'Display & Sound' section.

- In the 'Sound Settings' area, deselect 'Play Sounds' and confirm your changes.

- You should also ensure your DirectX is up to date.

- Install the Microsoft DirectX re-distributable package from here:

- Web Installer: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

- Full re-distributable: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

- Update the SoundDriver for your particular system (visit the system manufacturer website and check their support section on drivers for your particular system - See Useful Link below for common system websites)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=55372

Since my xml parsing error just isnt going away can you help me do a complete uninstall?

I've uninstalled and removed any extra SI files in Application Data, Program Files, and My Documents(both admin and user) but the problem still comes up after reinstallation.

I'm obviously missing some files to manually delete. Can you help me out please?

Is there any other reason why the xml parsing error would continue to show even after a full uninstallation? Also would I be able to use my old save game if I get the game to work again?

Thanks in advance.

You can use your saved game, just make sure you move it somewhere safe before doing a complete uninstall.

Once again this is the advice about the XML Parsing Error from the front page:

I can't play the game due to an XML parsing error

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

Right-click on the FM shortcut.

Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.

In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences

Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:

C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/

If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:

C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

Again give that a shot before completely uninstalling.

If it fails then the rest of the files you are after are in the following locations:

How to delete your Cache files

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders. Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Tools' the 'Folder Options'. The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Delete the “Football Manager 09” Folder.

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Delete the “Football Manager 09” Folder.

How to Delete your Registry Files

Windows XP:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click "Run"

3. Type in "Regedit"

4. Go into the HKEY_CURRENT_USER Folder

5. Go into the 'Software Folder'

6. Delete the Sports Interactive Folder

7. Go into the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Folder

8. Go into the 'Software Folder'

9. Delete the Sports Interactive Ltd Folder

Windows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

2. Type in the search box "Regedit"

3. Go into the HKEY_CURRENT_USER Folder

4. Go into the 'Software Folder'

5. Delete the Sports Interactive Folder

6. Go into the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Folder

7. Go into the 'Software Folder'

8. Delete the Sports Interactive Ltd Folder

Other file locations:

C:\ProgramData\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009

And your documents folder (Has the location of your saved games).

After going thorugh and clearing anything FM related re-install the game, apply the patch and give it another go.

Let me know if it works for you.

If it does fail please post your DxDiag as well with your answer.

Cheers

ermm i got a problem here,last few days i been playing the game with no problem but today when i wanted to start the game it say

"Facegens disabled because it failed to initialize,pls check log file for details".So if i didnt upgrade my graphics card or download the patch i shouldnt be able to play the game in the first place right?

AppName:fm.exe Appver:9.1.0.26064 Modver:9.1.0.26064 Modname:fm.exe offset:00fdc281

Those are the problems i got can anyone help?

ermm i got a problem here,last few days i been playing the game with no problem but today when i wanted to start the game it say

"Facegens disabled because it failed to initialize,pls check log file for details".So if i didnt upgrade my graphics card or download the patch i shouldnt be able to play the game in the first place right?

On this post it seemed your game was working you just didn't have facegen.

It could be the case your graphics card drivers need updating if you'd like to post your dxdiag I can tell you if that is the case or not and try to find a link for you to download your drivers from.

The other issue as I've said is something I'm looking into at the moment.

Hi thanks for help got it running fine on my lappy but only on 2D, can i play it on 3D on my PC as its much more powerful too or can you only use the uniloc code once???

Seems a bit unfair if that is the case.....

You can use the uniloc code on upto 5 machines at a time.

Steve you are giving everyone an answer pls if you can answer my question i will be very happy.

İ formatted my computer and while doing this i cant uninstall FM. My 5 seat are full and after formating can i install FM without a problem and activate it? Do i need to deactivate it before install? If it does how can i do it because this link http://deactivation.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

is not working at all. I wrote my cdkey but it said unable. What do i need to do?

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 11/24/2008, 22:51:01

Machine name: USER-2F0A860F87

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: Compaq Presario X1000 DR826A#UUF

BIOS: EPP runtime BIOS - Version 1.1

Processor: Intel® Pentium® M processor 1400MHz

Memory: 256MB RAM

Page File: 519MB used, 267MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

DirectX Files Tab: The file d3d9d.dll is a debug version, which will run slower than the retail version.

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Music Tab: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: MOBILITY RADEON 7500

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Chip type: Mobility Radeon 7500 AGP (0x4C57)

DAC type: Internal DAC(350MHz)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C57&SUBSYS_08600E11&REV_00

Display Memory: 32.0 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Default Monitor

Monitor Max Res:

Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6342 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 4/25/2003 11:01:52, 290048 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

VDD: n/a

Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys

Mini VDD Date: 4/25/2003 11:01:28, 624512 bytes

Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-0F17-11CF-6775-6A28A1C2CB35}

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x4C57

SubSys ID: 0x08600E11

Revision ID: 0x0000

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_D ModeMPEG2_C

is this what u need?

Steve you are giving everyone an answer pls if you can answer my question i will be very happy.

İ formatted my computer and while doing this i cant uninstall FM. My 5 seat are full and after formating can i install FM without a problem and activate it? Do i need to deactivate it before install? If it does how can i do it because this link http://deactivation.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

is not working at all. I wrote my cdkey but it said unable. What do i need to do?

Okay, what you suggest above would take up 2 seats of the code.

Does that mean you've installed on 3 other machines? You can always uninstall on of those machines to get a seat back. However I've also raised this issue with the support staff that deals with this to find out how you can unregister one of the unused seats.

Edit: If you can't do this for some reason then I can forward your code onto the Softanchor people so they can look at what might be causing a problem. You can send this to me here via PM.

Steve,

I wonder if it is possible to play FM2009 without having Steam running to activate it? There are points in time when access to the internet is not possible yet I still need the FM fix!

I have looked through the threads but nothing jumps out as an answer. Thanks for you help.

Had to buy a new laptop to play this game, annoyed at the bugs - but grateful that the forums got me up and working!

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 11/24/2008, 22:51:01

Machine name: USER-2F0A860F87

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: Compaq Presario X1000 DR826A#UUF

BIOS: EPP runtime BIOS - Version 1.1

Processor: Intel® Pentium® M processor 1400MHz

Memory: 256MB RAM

Page File: 519MB used, 267MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Monitor Max Res:

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

VDD: n/a

Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys

Mini VDD Date: 4/25/2003 11:01:28, 624512 bytes

Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-0F17-11CF-6775-6A28A1C2CB35}

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x4C57

SubSys ID: 0x08600E11

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_D ModeMPEG2_C

is this what u need?

Yeah that's what I was after.

Okay on these lines:

Monitor Max Res:

You've got a very old graphics card. And the driver is 5 years out of date.

After looking around the latest drivers I can find for your card are here:

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeon-prer300-xp.html

These are ATI's own drivers so they are fine to download and install.

After doing that can you try again please and see if you have any luck.

Did you have the game running previously? If so when did it stop working?

Steve,

I wonder if it is possible to play FM2009 without having Steam running to activate it? There are points in time when access to the internet is not possible yet I still need the FM fix!

I have looked through the threads but nothing jumps out as an answer. Thanks for you help.

Sure you can.

You can run the game by going direct to this location:

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamAPPS\Common\Football Manager 2009

And using the .exe to run the game.

You can also put steam in 'offline' mode through their tools menu and you should be able to run the game as you do while it is online.

Let me know if this has helped.

Sure you can.

You can run the game by going direct to this location:

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamAPPS\Common\Football Manager 2009

And using the .exe to run the game.

You can also put steam in 'offline' mode through their tools menu and you should be able to run the game as you do while it is online.

Let me know if this has helped.

Thanks Steve you are a LEGEND

Any news on a second patch, or when windowed mode will no longer be required? It squished up the stats so I have to scroll through them on the player info to see them all. Very time intensive!

Ta

What is this phone number then please mate???

I hope its not a £1.50 a minute job, thats not on,,,isnt it enough that weve paid £30 for the game??? Surely we should have just been able to slap it in the disk drive and away we go.

Here are the advised phone activation steps:

1. Insert disk and run the setup (if you have autorun installed it will do so automatically).

2. Once installed, the game will bring you to the "Soft Anchor" registration screen.

3. You will be prompted to enter the keycode on the back of your manual. This can be difficult to read if there are many "0" and "O" in the code. Before entering if possible visit the http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ site. Here you can enter the code as you see it and the website will display the full code in a format that enables you to determine 0's from O's.

4. On the soft anchor screen, there is text space split into 4 sections. Type the 25 digit code in full with no space in here. Please note that it is VITAL that you ENTER THE CODE IN CAPITALS.

5. Underneath the text space, there will be the option of "online" or "phone". Choose "phone" and select next.

6. Here you will be given a number for your particular country after an "are you sure you want to activate by phone message".

7. On the same screen you will be given a 16 digit numerical code. Once you ring the number, this is the code you must enter when prompted.

8. Enter the 16 digit code, once confirmed you will be given a 7 digit response code consisting of numbers and letters.

9. Enter the response code when prompted, and you will be given a new 16 digit code. This process will repeat about 4 times (ie. 16 numerical code, response code, 16 numerical code, response code, 16 numerical code, response code, 16 numerical code, response code).

10. If, after three 16 digit codes and three response codes the process stops, it means that you probably entered your intial 25 digit key code in incorrectly. Again - re-enter the 25 digit code IN CAPITALS.

11. Once the final response code is entered correctly, a small box will appear with "Auth Key" at the bottom left of the Soft Anchor page.

12. You will then be prompted with three seven digit codes to complete the authentication. Once the first auth code is entered correctly a second box appears beside it, and then once the second auth code is populated a third box appears. Put in the final code and the authentication is complete. A message will appear to confirm this.

13. Start the game as normal by double clicking the icon on your desktop or in your C/Program files.

If you're having trouble with this or can't see the phone activation option please let me know.

i got the game running fine last 2 days,after that it stop working.

So the game was working fine and then stopped working.

Did anything change to make the game stop working? Did you change any settings on your machine?

It's still worth updating your graphics card drivers and trying to run the game again.

You can use the uniloc code on upto 5 machines at a time.
Here are the advised phone activation steps:

If you're having trouble with this or can't see the phone activation option please let me know.

OK heres the thing Steve I dont think I was connected to the internet when I activated it on my laptop, which is why Im a bit confused about it all!

I ran the game then the activation code screen popped up automatically put that in and I was done and dusted......

Hi have you followed this advice?

Yes i have followed this but if i put in the target that you say to it says its invalid. Its something totally diferent for me to start with anyway.

this is what it shows in the target field:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 10540

Yes i have followed this but if i put in the target that you say to it says its invalid. Its something totally diferent for me to start with anyway.

this is what it shows in the target field:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 10540

Okay so you're trying to run the game through steam.

That's an error with the steam software not the FM software. Have you tried to uninstall it or done anything else to the software?

I can't play in window mode. At preferences, that option appears grey.

Any help?

Hi.

Can you try this please:

1. Right-click the FM icon on your desktop & click on "properties"

2. In the "target" field in the dialogue box that opens, add "-windowed -small_screen" at the end of the target, making sure there's a space in between.

So it should read like this: "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" -windowed -small_screen

3. Save your changes & you'll be able to play FM in window mode next time you run FM

no nothing change for the past few days.

Now i got the problem to update the driver,it say "setup was unable to complete installation.Try to set up your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running the setup".

I don't understand what that means lol.

hi guys, me and my friend are wanting to set up a network game between ourselves and have never done it before, when i click network i come to the first screen to choose the nations fine and set it so i act as server, but sometimes it will say 'cannot act as server' and sometimes it will let me be the host and i can choose my team and save the game but when my friend goes to find the I.P address it says unable to find server. can anyone help with an idiot proof step by step guide for me please? i read something about you need to open ports but i'm not really sure what that means. thanks alot

Hi,

I brought the game a few days ago, installed it fine but when i go to run it all i get is a blue screen that i cant get out of untill i turn my computer off. I have tryed reinstalling but it made no difference. Every other programme on my pc works fine and i have all the latest drivers. Any ideas on why this may be happening?

Okay.

Could you get a copy of your dxdiag and post it here so I can take a look at it?

It might be the case that your drivers need updating, failing that it may be a problem with the Cache files but I'll know more once I see your dxdiag.

to get this:

Click Start

Click run or click in the vista search box.

Type "dxdiag" and press return.

Once the program has finished scanning select "save all information" and save to a place you'll remember.

Open the .txt file and copy/paste the information into a post here.

Cheers.

Steve, the board won't let me post a message with more than 4000 characters and the dxdiag is over 5000. Can i edit it or do you need the full thing? If you need the lot can i send it to you some other way, pm or e-mail maybe?

Thanks

no nothing change for the past few days.

Now i got the problem to update the driver,it say "setup was unable to complete installation.Try to set up your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running the setup".

I don't understand what that means lol.

So, the driver is now not installing on your system?

That is the correct driver for the Radeon 7500. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be installing.

It might be an idea to contact AMD Customer support over it.

This is their interactive support page:

http://www.amd-firefly.com/firefly2007/fireflyclient.jsp?loadServiceID=145615e10ce83cdae9-7ff9&loadLocationID=68bffad5112ba80974e-4000&loadDesignID=14114cf4d511422483ae1-2a5d&loadSubmissionType=requestStart&loadTemplateID=

If that fails you can contact them here:

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=28596

Sorry you're having so much trouble.

Steve, the board won't let me post a message with more than 4000 characters and the dxdiag is over 5000. Can i edit it or do you need the full thing? If you need the lot can i send it to you some other way, pm or e-mail maybe?

Thanks

That's fine you can get as much as you can into one post and then I'll let you know if we need more.

Cheers.

Hello!

I played so far FM2009 v9.1 and it all worked fine until there was a accidentaly power off..

I tried to run the game again after that and i got the following

XML PARSING ERROR

not well-formed (invalid-token) at line 1 of last_saved_game.xml

I tried ur advices and I downloaded the latest XML version from Microsoft,I defragmented my HDD,I deleted the registry keys,I deleted the folders u said...but nothing,i cant run the game!

Please help me out!

Hello!

I played so far FM2009 v9.1 and it all worked fine until there was a accidentaly power off..

I tried to run the game again after that and i got the following

XML PARSING ERROR

not well-formed (invalid-token) at line 1 of last_saved_game.xml

I tried ur advices and I downloaded the latest XML version from Microsoft,I defragmented my HDD,I deleted the registry keys,I deleted the folders u said...but nothing,i cant run the game!

Please help me out!

Have you tried un-installing/re-installing the game, and see if that makes any difference?

Hi

I already made this, but i get fm.exe error.

I think this happen because i can't choose the window option at preferences and the game crash.

In the demo i could play window mode.

Any help?

Which FM.exe?

You haven't copied the .exe to the desktop have you? You should copy it back into the game folder and make a shortcut instead of copying the entire .exe if you have.

Do you have 9.1.0 installed?

Which FM.exe?

You haven't copied the .exe to the desktop have you? You should copy it back into the game folder and make a shortcut instead of copying the entire .exe if you have.

Do you have 9.1.0 installed?

I didn't explained very well.

I was talking about an error called fm.exe.

I have the patch and the shortcut on my desktop but, if i can't select the option windowed at preferences, if i put the text in the shortcut preferences, it gives that error.

Any idea how can i resolve that?

Archived