Known issues and solutions - FAQ

I finished the first season and played couple games of the second season and then it crashed. It does crash at the same point everytime I load the game. I didn't do anything specific at the time, i hitted continue and just waited for uefa cup results and then it crashed.

What is the date of the crash?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello, just wondered if someone could help me with my problems:

I've installed football manager and everything seems to work alright except that I have no player pictures and I can't watch the game in 3D (the option is greyed out). I've checked preferences and everything but it all seems alright.

I've tried downloading and installing the patch but I have a verification error and so it won't instal (I'm not on vista: I'm on windows xp).

I've tried everything, even installing via steam (though I'd rather not) but even that doesn't work as the game doesn't open.

Could someone please give me a hand??

What's the exact error message you receive when you try to install the patch?

right im fed up of all this now ive tried downloading the microsoft dx update because i keep getting the error with the graphics system thing an now the microsoft dx thing keeps saying its corrupt an ive deleted it an tried installing it again 4 times but to no joy.biggest waste of 30 quid ive never had so much trouble with a game obviously its jus ripping millions of other people off like myself.

any advice would be much appreciated as i cant download the microsoft updae because it says its corrupt.also steam isnt running when im doing this.

yes mate i got firefox as my explorer i click download then save to disc an a little download box comes up then it saves to desktop an i try an install an it says it corrupt.im not the brainiest when it comes to computers but im doin all this by the book like.im dyin to play it aswell.

What's the exact error message you receive when you try to install the patch?

Don't Worry! I've got it to work!! WAHEY! I feel a huge sense of achievement! I can't believe a game can make me so happy: it's kind of sad, but nevermind...

Just one slight problem... I still can't see the players' faces when I go to their profile screen. Is there anything I can do about this? (I've managed to download the patch)

Hello

Can some body from SI please respond to my issue. I have had a personal message from neil dejyothin about him having a look at my computer through remote assistance. My Problem is:

When I load the demo after downloading the direct x thing from microsoft( link posted earlier), the game loads(slowly) and then where it usually loads in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, all that comes up is the first letter of the word "LOADING", "L". This is above the usuall ticker that goes round but this just flickers.

Note this is a problem on my fm 09 demo as I do not have the proper game yet

Jack

This sounds like a System Error, I would suggest doing the following:

XML Parsing Errors

When suffering from XML errors we advise downloading a newer version of XML Parser from Microsoft, this can be done so from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I can't play the game due to an XML parsing error

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

• Right-click on the FM shortcut.
  • Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
  • In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences
  • Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

• If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/
  • If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

I would also suggest running the tests found here on your system:

http://www.sigames.com/sibase.php?type=view&id=142

Let me know how you get on. Thanks.

Thanks for the help nbrocky but it still doesn't work.

I have tried all the above but my system still crashes with the blue screen every time I try to run the game from the shortcut on the desktop.

I'm getting very frustrated that I still cant play the game and I can't work out why it doesn't run?

Is there anything else I can do to make this game work correctly?

think everyone is sooo ****ed off mate they should take the games back an give refund or give um back when its fixed its a joke

ive downloaded microsoft dx again and unzipped it an then jus hit the launch game button to reveal graphics system error again.so frustrated now though.

I've been trying for a few hours to get this game to work and i've looked on most of the threads on here but none of them seem to work including

Windows Vista

1: Click “Start”

2: Click “Computer”

3: Right Click the local Disk that contains the FM2009 installation.

4: Select “Preferences”

5: Select “Tools”

6: Select “Check Disk”

7: Select “Start”

Ive also downloaded the latest MSXML file but still nothing. I'm getting quite annoyed now and I wish I never brought the game. I should be able to put the game into my comp and play it without any glitches especially of this magnitude.

I'm not taking my frustration out on your guys but I brought the game 3 days ago and it still doesn't work and all I want to do is play the game.

PLEASE HELP

I've had the game 2 days now am still yet to play it! The whole thing is a disgrace and the game needs recalling and refunds should be made. I've tried all the sollutions and none of them work. seems like the si people were so determined to make sure people dont pirate the game they forgot about the paying customers!

I am trying to install via Steam.

I have my key already entered.

When I click to install, it gives me the following message:

"Your steam ticket has expired. Please reenter your password."

So, I do so.

When I try it again. I get this message:

"The steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes."

Um...I have been trying for over and hour. Please advise.

I am trying to install via Steam.

I have my key already entered.

When I click to install, it gives me the following message:

"Your steam ticket has expired. Please reenter your password."

So, I do so.

When I try it again. I get this message:

"The steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes."

Um...I have been trying for over and hour. Please advise.

I have the same except that i dont get the steam servers are busy message, i just get "creating local game cache files" under that it says "preparing football manager 2009 files for installation" and a progress bar that never moves from 5 bars - been like it for ages.

I have had steam since september 2003, i have never experianced a problem like this before.

Posted earlier, I've been running the game since 8:30pm on release day.

I earlier downloaded the suggested update, microsoft direct X.... It's done sweet F.A... and I still have the can't load due to GFX problems.

I've been running this for 6 days AT LEAST with no problems.

WHY HAS IT CHANGED. I'VE A VERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMER AND SHALL BE ASKING FOR A REFUND SOON.

hi wondering if anyone can help me. i bought the game last night and i am seriously hacked off with it!. i have tried to install it and when i get to the bit where you put the code in off the back of the manual it says on the soft anchor page i've put the wrong code in which i havent!. i've double checked and typed it in both higher case and lower case and that made no difference.i am so computer illiterate and really want to know in simple terms what to do please help

• Administrators
Thanks for the help nbrocky but it still doesn't work.

I have tried all the above but my system still crashes with the blue screen every time I try to run the game from the shortcut on the desktop.

I'm getting very frustrated that I still cant play the game and I can't work out why it doesn't run?

Is there anything else I can do to make this game work correctly?

Did you try all the tests found here?

What were the results of said test? These check for system stability and will give a greater idea what exactly is causing the system errors.

I had the graphics system error. Finally got this sorted by downloading the microsoft direct x thing. Then when i tried to play the game i was getting a black screen with a flashing L. Got this sorted by downloading the patch. Now i get to my first match and the game shuts down and i get "DIRECT SOUND ERROR: NO DRIVER" This is getting ridiculous now....just problem after problem. Could someone tell me how to fix this please.

I have been playing Championship Manager/Football Manger for years now and have never had this many problems. Think this may be the last time i spen my money on the game!!

Please can someone help!!!!!

I had the graphics system error. Finally got this sorted by downloading the microsoft direct x thing. Then when i tried to play the game i was getting a black screen with a flashing L. Got this sorted by downloading the patch. Now i get to my first match and the game shuts down and i get "DIRECT SOUND ERROR: NO DRIVER" This is getting ridiculous now....just problem after problem. Could someone tell me how to fix this please.

I have been playing Championship Manager/Football Manger for years now and have never had this many problems. Think this may be the last time i spen my money on the game!!

Please can someone help!!!!!

If you disable the sound in preferences then this may solve your problem

Hi Guys,

I had the game bought for me and loaded it all fine with no problems at all. It was playing fine as well until I got to the first match. I needed to give 2 players squad numbers and when I clicked submit numbers it does, then when I click on 'play match' it just wont do anything else. The curser turns into a football and the program won't respond!

Any idea how I can fix this, it's driving me up the wall

Thanks in advance

Did you try all the tests found here?

What were the results of said test? These check for system stability and will give a greater idea what exactly is causing the system errors.

I done everything I can to get this game to work correctly. I would like to ask SIgames for my money back. I brought the game with the intentions of playing and enjoying the game not being put through 4 DAYS of this.

Hello

Can some body from SI please respond to my issue. I have had a personal message from neil dejyothin about him having a look at my computer through remote assistance. My Problem is:

When I install the game the game loads(slowly) and then where it usually loads in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, all that comes up is the first letter of the word "LOADING", "L". This is above the usuall ticker that goes round but this just flickers.

any help would be usefull!

Jack

Thanks SI, I've finally got the game working after around a week. I hope thar windowed mode is just temporary and the main window will be sorted soon. I'm lucky though as i get a white screen with the pop saying "Football Manager is not responding" so i say to wait for a response and it seems to work... don't know why...

I hope to be using the main window and sound soon

i bought the game last night, installed using steam and played the game. but today i tried launching again and it gave me all kinds of errors. couldnt find game, couldnt locate this, whatever. i uninstalled (it took a while, cause it couldnt find the file to uninstall at first) tried installing again. mind you it took a fraction of the time this time around and it never asked me for a keycode again. but now every time i try launching it says servers busy try again in a few minutes!!!!!!!!! i downloaded both zip files fix2 and fix3 from the sega site and after unzipping i cant open those files either!!!! what can I do? i just wanna start playing. if there is a call center please provide me with a number.

this is rediculous guys, i buy a game i expect to be able to play it without having to download, install, restart, re-install 10's of "fixes" so that it will activate. the operator number is constantly ringing out and your going to have alot of unhappy customers taking your game back.

Hi there,

I've tried to reinstall the game, and install the game through both steam (which seems a pointless application by the way) and normally. The game always tells me my product key is already active. I have tried the fix listed in the solutions post, however, I do not have an 'application data file' or a 'Football manager 2009 Certificate' anywhere on my computer.

Can anyone help? Or should I just take the game back? It's all very frustrating!:mad:

Thanks

Dave

I can't install the game on my macbook 2.2ghZ, 4gb ram. It freezes on "installing Football Manager uninstall.app". It never gets anywhere from there. I've tried to search the net but only a few people have this problem, and I can't find a solution. Maybe the cd is corrupted or something? I got the same problem with the demo though.

I'm going to take the game back! The si people should not be making a pofit from something that don't work. It's obvious the game is causing more grief than anything else. Seems like they have just rushed into a release date when the game was clearly not ready!

Iv'e now tested the CPU Burn-in, Video Card Stability Tester and the web page don't load for the Prime95 to test that. The results were all fine and nothing was wrong with either test.

Please can you tell me what other test I need to perform in order to get this game to run?

Hi, I use a macbook.

My FM crashes and I can't go on anymore in 24 July 2009.

Is there a solution? A patch?

Is something very bad because I can't play anymore!

It's ridicolous to pay 54euros for a INCOMPLETE GAME.

You should ashame of you.

I pretend the patch AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

I play with this game since 1997 and never had many problems like this year. Maybe I'll never buy it next year.

right what can i do ive uninstalled the game twice an still gettin the graphics ******** again an again an sick of downloading the microsoft dx thing cause that doesnt work either what can i do to get my money back off sports interactice am sure am not the only one theres prob thousands sorry millions of others aswell.

Posted earlier, I've been running the game since 8:30pm on release day.

I earlier downloaded the suggested update, microsoft direct X.... It's done sweet F.A... and I still have the can't load due to GFX problems.

I've been running this for 6 days AT LEAST with no problems.

WHY HAS IT CHANGED. I'VE A VERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMER AND SHALL BE ASKING FOR A REFUND SOON.

Seriously guys, this is rediculous, any ideas as to why my game will suddenly decide there is a GFX error!?

This is covered in the first post in this thread.

Fix: Please download the following update from the Microsoft Direct X SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en

You should also check that you are running the latest graphics driver, you can do this by visiting the computer manufacturer website, or by visiting the graphics card manufacturing website.

Ok, I've clicked on this link... Downloaded it successfully now what? The game still isn't running.

This is covered in the first post in this thread.

Fix: Please download the following update from the Microsoft Direct X SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en

You should also check that you are running the latest graphics driver, you can do this by visiting the computer manufacturer website, or by visiting the graphics card manufacturing website.

Ok, I've clicked on this link... Downloaded it successfully now what? The game still isn't running. And keeps telling me my graphics system isn't working.

The game has succesfully been installed and my code has been accepted but when it goes to load the game up i get a message saying Football Manager 2009 has stopped working Windows will look for a solution.Iv tried uninstalling the game and trying again but it just does the same everytime.Does anybody have any ideas to what i can do to solve this problem?

• Administrators

Everyone who is struggling with issues starting up the game, three very important questons:

1- Have you installed the 9.10 patch?

2- What graphics card are you running on your system (Can be found via your Dxdiag - see known issues to find out how - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64821)

3- Have you updated your graphics card (Again see same thread to find out how to do this)

Let me know, thanks.

You are receiving an Error [-1003]

Fix: You are entering the key incorrectly please visit the following URL to correctly identify your key - http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

I've tried this and sometimes it tells me the key is wrong and sometimes it doesn't tell me either way.

My steps: After inserting the disk:

I choose Internet installation, Advanced and then it said

Disk Space available:

Required: 1, 426, 389, 233

Available: 96, 162, 406, 400

I press install and then get 'Please wait, Football Manager 2009 is being configured for your system. This may take a moment.'

Then I get: 'The installation of Football Manager 2009 is finished, but some errors occured during the install. Please see the installation log in for details.'

I press done and nothing comes up on the desktop and little in the programs. I have installed and reinstalled several times and only once has it offered me the scope to put in the activation code.

I have had the opportunity to put in the product code but no joy.

I am on Windows Vista, can you please help? I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Robert

I registered the game fine and everything, but at the end of the installation it came up with "an error has occured in the installation process please check install log" etc.

Although after this the game started up fine and played for 2 hours with no problem, but once i exit the game and try and click on the thumbnail again it just shortcuts to the sportsinteractive/football manager2009/games folder. and i click on the saved game it just asks what programe i want to run it with and FM isnt there and i have to reinstal the whole game just to play it again.

The error i found in the install log was:

Custom Action: com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer

Additional Notes: ERROR - class com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer NonfatalInstallException AddGameExplorerTasks() failed: Failed to retrieve GUID for application

please help! :confused:

p.s. im running in on a vista laptop no older than 5 months

Archived