Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My game loads up and plays but when i go to match message comes up direct sound error 2004287480 shuts game down. Then try to reload and it says game is already running. Please help as i am losing my mind.

I'm getting a message that says: "Direct Sound error -2004287480" when entering a match.

Potential workaround:

- Update your sound card drivers or disable in game sound.

- To disable sound:

- Go to the Preferences screen ('Options' -> 'Preferences').

- Go to the 'Display & Sound' section.

- In the 'Sound Settings' area, deselect 'Play Sounds' and confirm your changes.

- You should also ensure your DirectX is up to date.

- Install the Microsoft DirectX re-distributable package from here:

- Web Installer: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

- Full re-distributable: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

- Update the SoundDriver for your particular system (visit the system manufacturer website and check their support section on drivers for your particular system - See Useful Link below for common system websites)

Hi,that seemed to have worked but when it tried to launch it came up "failed to set up graphics system" please help.Cheers

Hello Jayyidthfc,

The solution to this problem is outlined on the very first post of the first page on this thread. It's a case of downloading a specific SDK I believe.

Hope this helps.

• Administrators
Originally Posted by dps viewpost.gif

i put the disc in the drive and it wont read it. ive changed the disc and still have the same prob. ive tryed diffrent cds ie fm 08 and music and it works fine. ive updated my cd rom drivers and still wont work. any help anyone

My computer will not read my DVD disc

You can download the game in Steam without using the disc using the game code you have from your purchased game.

Download Steam from here - http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Install Steam on your computer

Once installed, open up Steam

Go to My Games

Go to Activate a product on Steam

Enter your Activation Code found on the back of the manual. (Use http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ to see you got all the 0's and o's right)

Steam should now download your game.

My game crashes on 24th july 2009, it says a serios error occured and the game stopped responding, i have uploaded the crash dump file to your ftp server, please help! i feel like i've been mugged out of £30

Hey kaseychevez,

Apologies for the wait for any reply.

If you are still around to read this, can you confirm that you were running the Seria C in your game. If yes, I can confirm that this is a well-known crash that is currently being investigated for a fix. Unfortunately, the only current way to overcome this is to avoid including the Serie C in your game.

If, however, it's not, could you please share information on the leagues you were running to begin with.

Thanks.

• Administrators

ALL MAC USERS!!!

There is now a 9.1.1 patch which has added compatibility, a fair few of you have posted in this thread so thought it would be a good place to post this. Please see THIS thread for more information - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=69146

Thanks!

The game won't let me go on holiday (sorry if this has been covered before but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything). When I select "Manager>Options>Go On Holiday" it just takes me to the "Game Status" screen.

Either you're playing the demo, where the Holiday option is disabled, or you're pirating the game.

alright lads howsit going

i've a problem here. i installed the game then the 'failed graphics setup' message popped up.

then i downloaded the microsoft directx SDK thing (yes, all 483 MB of it, over a few hours..). next when i try to run the downloaded file, it goes 'error S1010' unable to install or something like that.

what do i do now? help please

• Administrators
alright lads howsit going

i've a problem here. i installed the game then the 'failed graphics setup' message popped up.

then i downloaded the microsoft directx SDK thing (yes, all 483 MB of it, over a few hours..). next when i try to run the downloaded file, it goes 'error S1010' unable to install or something like that.

what do i do now? help please

For the S1001 error, make sure you ARE NOT running Steam when installing.

Let me know how you get on. Thanks.

• SI Staff
Seriously, I am not just going to go away if my question remains ignored!

If you are still having problems authenticating the game having followed the advice in the first thread on this topic, then please contact Sega Support via this link - http://help.sega.com/?group=englishuk&t=EnglishUK. You are able to use your username and password from these forums to login and raise a ticket. They are dealing with all authentication enquiries.

everytime i try to get on my game an error comes up saying, not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1 of default.xml. The game then loads after i press ok but then after a while it just goes off on me without any explanation. What should i do.

For the S1001 error, make sure you ARE NOT running Steam when installing.

Let me know how you get on. Thanks.

no steam being run mate.

it still won't work. do i need to buy new graphic card then? my pc's about 2 years old. running dxdiag, the display tab shows that the name of the thing is 'VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP'

If I don't need to get a new graphic card, is it the drivers that need updating? how do i update to the latest drivers?

ta

everytime i try to get on my game an error comes up saying, not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1 of default.xml. The game then loads after i press ok but then after a while it just goes off on me without any explanation. What should i do.

I can't play the game due to an XML parsing error

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

Right-click on the FM shortcut.

Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.

In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences

Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:

C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/

If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:

C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

• Administrators
no steam being run mate.

it still won't work. do i need to buy new graphic card then? my pc's about 2 years old. running dxdiag, the display tab shows that the name of the thing is 'VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP'

If I don't need to get a new graphic card, is it the drivers that need updating? how do i update to the latest drivers?

ta

You can download the latest driver from here - http://www.s3graphics.com/en/products/unichrome/

However I would suggest your graphics card is unfortunately below the minimum recommend spec so you would require an upgrade. Sorry :(

Can anyone please help me we are playing a Lan game and the results keep changing every other game its like there is no point watching it

Hello Ireland,

If you could be so kind as to log this issue in our bugs forum below. This may already have been reported so a quick search of these forums before starting a new thread would also be greatly appreciated.

http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Thanks.

Guest Let\'s go West Ham!
Either you're playing the demo, where the Holiday option is disabled, or you're pirating the game.

Yeah, thanks, it was just the demo, working fine now with the full game.

You can download the latest driver from here - http://www.s3graphics.com/en/products/unichrome/

However I would suggest your graphics card is unfortunately below the minimum recommend spec so you would require an upgrade. Sorry :(

ah that's a downer. if the update still doesn't work, and then i get a new graphics card are you telling me that fm'd definitely run?

a lot of questions i know mate but i'm really stumped here

thanks

i put the disc in the drive and it wont read it. ive changed the disc and still have the same prob. ive tryed diffrent cds ie fm 08 and music and it works fine. ive updated my cd rom drivers and still wont work. any help anyone

Hey,

FM 09 is the first game in the series to have been released on DVD (and not CD). It seems as though you don't have a DVD drive, which is the reason why it was unable to read it.

Fortunately, there is a very feasible workaround. You'll simply need to download the game via Steam, and upon being asked to give in an activation key, you'll need to use the one provided on the back of your manual.

If you have any other problems, please do let us know.

Hope that clears the problem up for you.

Hi, will FM 09 run if i only have a 64mb video card on my lap top? Graphics error occurs at the mo

Although a 64MB graphics card is below the minimum requirements, the v9.1 patch helped increased the graphics card compatibility pool. Thus, it enabled a considerable amount of players, if not all, with graphics card of a similar memory capacity to yours, who were experiencing problems before, to be able to run the game, albeit without the ability to watch matches in any of the 3D camera views. More and more investigating is being done around the clock to hopefully decrease compatibility issues even further.

If possible, could you please post your DXDIAG information in the meanwhile.

If you don't know how, then please follow the below instructions:

How to get your Dxdiag information

Windows XP

1. Click on “Start”

2. Click on “Run”

3. In the text prompt box that appears type “dxdiag” and click ok.

4. Once the dxdiag program has finished scanning your machine click “Save All Information” save this to a place you will remember.

5. Copy and past these as/where needed.

Wndows Vista

1. Click on “Start”

2. Click inside the search box

3. In the search box type “dxdiag” and click ok.

4. Once the dxdiag program has finished scanning your machine click “Save All Information” save this to a place you will remember.

Taken from http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64821

And, could you also confirm you have patched your game to v9.1.

Hi

I have now loaded game onto PC and onto Laptop - problems on both..

PC - upon loading I am told that upload was successful, but some elements are missing. I managed to go on and play the game. I then saved and closed. Restarting is impossible. - please help.

Laptop - Game loads. However, when going to the live match, the PC crashes. I have been onto preferences, and deselected 3D game - but it still crashes.

This is really outrageous, as I have played this game for years now, and never had such issues. Totally unacceptable.

Please advise.

Hi guys,

I've been dealing with Neil from Sports Interactive, who has been a big help thus far but unfortunately hasnt been on while I've been around, he has asked to me to provide my details of my Graphics Card (see below).

Intel® 82810E Graphics Controller

Will this be my graphics card? I found it in the Diagnostic tool data? If so, is it good enough for the game?

Also, I have discovered I only have 256MB of RAM (below spec), could this be contributing to my problem? (which is that I cannot load the game as FM.exe has encountered an error and needs to close)

I have downloaded the patch and done everything else that Neil has suggested so far.

Please advise!!!

Bigal

Hi

I have now loaded game onto PC and onto Laptop - problems on both..

PC - upon loading I am told that upload was successful, but some elements are missing. I managed to go on and play the game. I then saved and closed. Restarting is impossible. - please help.

Laptop - Game loads. However, when going to the live match, the PC crashes. I have been onto preferences, and deselected 3D game - but it still crashes.

This is really outrageous, as I have played this game for years now, and never had such issues. Totally unacceptable.

Please advise.

Could you please be a little more specific about the problem you've been facing on the PC? Restarting the game is impossible? Or restarting the saved game you had opened last doesn't work?

As for the issue with the laptop, have you tried running the game in 'Windowed' mode?

hi guys

can anyone help, as i am having real problems....

i have downloaded the patch to my desktop, when i open it to run it says "error, could not find worldwide soccer folder" does anyone know how i can solve this so i can get fm09 working after 7 days of trying!

Could you please be a little more specific about the problem you've been facing on the PC? Restarting the game is impossible? Or restarting the saved game you had opened last doesn't work?

As for the issue with the laptop, have you tried running the game in 'Windowed' mode?

Hi

PC - having played the game, I then saved it and exited. Then, to restart the game have double clicked on Icon ( in games ), and game will not open. I have uninstalled and re-installed, and same happens. So in summary, can not start the game at all. I will show you log details of installation shortly.

laptop - what is "windowed" mode, and how do I do this.

Thanks

I keep getting the message : Cannot Run Game: Failed to set up graphics system

What do i need to do???

heeeeelp me :(

Hello nightfireuk2001,

The solution to this problem is outlined on the very first post of this thread. It's a fairly straightforward SDK download I believe.

Hope this helps.

Hi

This is my log details from PC.

Free Memory: 1995 kB

Total Memory: 16320 kB

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Install Begin: Wed Nov 19 20:22:48 GMT 2008

Install End: Wed Nov 19 20:23:09 GMT 2008

Installed by InstallAnywhere 8.0.1 Enterprise Build 3081, by Macrovision

INSTALLATION WAS CANCELLED BY USER DURING PRE-INSTALLATION

User Interactions

-----------------

#Choose Delivery Method

#----------------------

DELIVERY_METHOD=Install via Uniloc (using the Internet or Phone Activation)

DELIVERY_METHOD_1=

DELIVERY_METHOD_2=Install via Uniloc (using the Internet or Phone Activation)

DELIVERY_METHOD_BOOLEAN_1=0

DELIVERY_METHOD_BOOLEAN_2=1

Summary

-------

Installation: Cancelledduring pre-install.

3 Successes

0 Warnings

0 NonFatalErrors

0 FatalErrors

Action Notes:

None

Install Log Detail:

Execute Script/Batch file: Steam InternetCheck.exe

Get Registry Entry: Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam

Value Name: InternetConnectivity

Install Action: InstallAnywhere Variable

INSTALLATION WAS CANCELLED BY USER DURING PRE-INSTALLATION

i have this problems

"FM.exe application error. The application has failed to initialize properly (0xC0000005). Click on OK to stop the application.”

how to solve it??

Hello NightC,

The answer to this problem was on the very first post of this thread. Updating your Microsoft Dot.Net framework from the following link should resolve this issue:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

Hope this helps!

PC - having played the game, I then saved it and exited. Then, to restart the game have double clicked on Icon ( in games ), and game will not open. I have uninstalled and re-installed, and same happens. So in summary, can not start the game at all. I will show you log details of installation shortly.

Could you please post your DXDIAG information.

How to get your Dxdiag information

Windows XP

1. Click on “Start”

2. Click on “Run”

3. In the text prompt box that appears type “dxdiag” and click ok.

Wndows Vista

1. Click on “Start”

2. Click inside the search box

3. In the search box type “dxdiag” and click ok.

Additionally, can you also confirm that you are running the patched v9.1 FM 09?

Thanks.

Oh how i laughed when it only took me an hour and a half to activate my game as opposed to my friends 2-3 days, but now karma is having its way with me.

First i got the unable to load game due to graphics, so i downloaded the 400+mb directx thing which took about 2 and half hours, now all i get is the flickering L in the bottom right of my screen when it trys to load then after about 5 mins i get some message about fmexe has found a problem and needs to close.

I see that i am not alone, i am yet to read a solution to this, but there are 16 pages to read through and i may well of missed it, so if you can help please let me know.

In the mean time i am going to go out tonight and try to find so comfort in alcohol.

hi there, after attempting again to install, iv gone to the installation log and found the following error: Custom Action: com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer

Additional Notes: ERROR - class com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer NonfatalInstallException AddGameExplorerTasks() failed: Failed to retrieve GUID for application

please help, i bought the game in HMV, forestside shopping centre, Belfast, N. Ire

Further to my previous post i forgot to mention i also downloaded the patch, which ultimatly failed due to unknown publisher!?

This has been the first time i have had any problems with FM games and reading how many people have also had trouble with it i wonder if a product re-call may be the best option.

Can you please help me with the following error message:

XML ERROR

not-well formed (invalid token) at line1 of highlights.xml

not-well formed (invalid token) at line1 of speed.xml

Hello Kenno,

The solution to the XML parsing error is outlined on the first post of the very first page in this thread:

-----------------

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

* Right-click on the FM shortcut.

* Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.

* In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences

* Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

* If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:

C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/

* If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:

C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

-----------------

Hopefully this should resolve your problem.

Could you please post your DXDIAG information.

Additionally, can you also confirm that you are running the patched v9.1 FM 09?

Thanks.

Hi

I assume I need to download the patch...once I have downloaded it, what do I need to do with it?

Thx

Hi

I assume I need to download the patch...once I have downloaded it, what do I need to do with it?

Thx

Run it, and it should update your FM 09 from v9.0 to v9.1.

You'll find numerous links to download it at http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=60961 in the first post by Miles.

Then, once it has successfully updated your game, try to run FM 09 as you would normally.

Hopefully it will run without any problems. If it doesn't, please do let us know.

Installed the game, authenticated through steam and all was working fine. Only let me play for five minutes then says: fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

It then says:

The instruction at "0x7dcb3ea8" referenced memory at "0x7dcb3ea8". The memory could not be "read"

It then gives me the option to:

OK - to terminate program

Cancel - to rebug the problem (when i do this nothing happens)

I am playing on a Dell Inspiron 1501.

Please reply, thanks

Hi guys, I submitted a post earlier yesterday......post 2054, and alas no reply. I appreciate you guys are busy at the moment so I might have just got over looked. If only I could find a way of downloading the patch. It is still coming up with page not available.

Please please please can someone help!!!!

Hello Wanno,

You've probably downloaded the patch in the past 24 hours but just in case you haven't may I direct you to the following thread page which has various methods on how to download the patch:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=60961

Hope this helps.

can anyone explain why i cant run my patch which i have downloaded as i have explained above, i press run and it sayserrot, couldnot locate worldwide soccer instalation folder, please browse and open wsm.exe

please can someone help me!!!!

Have you tried selecting 'Browse' to locate and select the WWSM exe yourself? The WWSM directory should have been installed by default (unless you selected the 'Advanced' install setting to customise where to install to) to C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive.

Also, have you made sure you've downloaded the WWSM 09 v9.1.0 patch and not the FM 09 equivalent by mistake?

If you may have, in any case, then please download it from http://sega.vo.llnwd.net/o15/u/nov2008patch/WSM2009v9.1.0Patch.exe and let us know if you have any better luck updating your game.

• SI Staff
can anyone explain why i cant run my patch which i have downloaded as i have explained above, i press run and it sayserrot, couldnot locate worldwide soccer instalation folder, please browse and open wsm.exe

please can someone help me!!!!

Looking at your username, I'm going to take a punt and suggest that you have purchased Football Manager, and not Worldwide Soccer Manager?

That error would suggest that you downloaded the patch for Worldwide Soccer Manager, and not Football Manager.

You can find the Football Manager patches at http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=60961

Guest MonifiethTayside

I have a Mac iBook G4 and have installed the game. The installation seems to have worked perfectly however when i click on the start-up icon and the game launches all i get is a grey screen.

I am yet to see anything even close to the main menu as i can't get past this grey screen.

Any ideas?

Archived