Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive tried everything i could find to fix the Failed to set up graphics system problem i tried

Installing directx sdk which i can download but cannot install due to error s1023

tried re installing windows with 3 diffrent versions of xp pro up to sp2 sept

ive tried windowed mode

ive tried kicking pc

ive tried placing a directx 37 dll file into system

ive tried lots of dirctx 9c versions some install some don't

ive updated graphics drivers

but now i admit defeat must be direct x issue but they have no support for that error s1023 that i can find come on were is the jedi master of pc's to show me the way before i turn to the dark side eg championship manager

Game keeps freezing how do i get it working?

Will turning the screen resolution to windowed instead of 1440x900 be a temporary fix?

Why was this game released without being properly tested? There are a lot of new features which are much appreciated, but sigames must start testing the game more thoroughly. Next time pay the fans to beta test the product before rushing it out.

• Administrators

Hello everyone who is struggling in this thread, it's got a bit clustered with information and people with issues, so can anyone with a specific problem they cannot get solved - SEND ME A PM.

This way I'll be able to look at your issue individually and be able to get directly back to you. To do this click my profile name on the left <--- and just click send private message.

I would also suggest checking out the technical forum which can be found here - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=114 which has some known issues in and some threads which may well have the answers you're looking for.

When PM'ing me, make sure you are 'very' clear with the issue you are having, and also let me know your general system settings - PC/Mac, Graphics Card, Processor etc - but NOT your entire Dxdiag, else my inbox will be filled up in about 10 seconds! Many thanks.

Hi,

I am having problems every time I try to 'Submit Team' and play a game in 3d mode. On clicking the 'Submit Team' button the game freezes and crashes. To terminate I have to press CTRL+ALT+DEL and end task in the taks manager. The task manager reveals that the game is 'Not Responding'.

To make sure my complaint is dealt with as quickly as possible I will provide you with all the facts and things I have done thus far.

Computer Spec:

Make: Packard Bell Desktop (bought in September 2008)

Processor: Interl Quad Core Q6600 (2.40GHz)

Memory: 3 Gb

Hard Drive: 500 Gb

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 610i

What I have done so far:

FM patch 9.1 downlaoded and installed

Microsoft DirectX SDK downloaded ( from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)

Microsoft DirectX updated downloaded (downloaded file name: directx_nov2008_redist)

Microsoft DOT.NET framework attempted download but already installed

NVIDIA Latest driver downloaded (version 178.24)

PLEASE NOTE that I have only downloaded DirectX SDK and DirectX updated and have done nothing else with them. The massive thread only mentioned that these things should be downloaded. When I said that I had only downloaded DirectX SDK and DirectX. I do also mean that I have installed them too. It just seems that there are many applications on installing and now guidance has been given as to whether anything should be done with these.

The Game:

Purchased on disc from Morrissons supermarket

I have no desire to use on line just to use in private on my desktop

Install Log:

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Wed Nov 19 14:38:34 GMT 2008

Free Memory: 8704 kB

Total Memory: 21152 kB

java.class.path:

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Insta llerData\IAClasses.zip

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Windo ws\resource\jdglue.zip

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Insta llerData\Execute.zip

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Windo ws\InstallerData\Execute.zip

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Insta llerData\Resource1.zip

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Windo ws\InstallerData\Resource1.zip

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Insta llerData

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Windo ws\InstallerData

ZGUtil.CLASS_PATH:

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Insta llerData\IAClasses.zip

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Windo ws\resource\jdglue.zip

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Insta llerData\Execute.zip

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Insta llerData

sun.boot.class.path:

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Windo ws\resource\jre\lib\rt.jar

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Windo ws\resource\jre\lib\i18n.jar

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Windo ws\resource\jre\lib\sunrsasign.jar

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Windo ws\resource\jre\lib\jsse.jar

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Windo ws\resource\jre\lib\jce.jar

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Windo ws\resource\jre\lib\charsets.jar

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Windo ws\resource\jre\classes

java.ext.dirs:

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Windo ws\resource\jre\lib\ext

java.version == 1.5.0_03 (Java 2+)

java.vm.name == Java HotSpot Client VM

java.vm.vendor == Sun Microsystems Inc.

java.vm.version == 1.5.0_03-b07

java.vm.specification.name == Java Virtual Machine Specification

java.vm.specification.vendor == Sun Microsystems Inc.

java.vm.specification.version == 1.0

java.specification.name == Java Platform API Specification

java.specification.vendor == Sun Microsystems Inc.

java.specification.version == 1.5

java.vendor == Sun Microsystems Inc.

java.vendor.url == http://java.sun.com/

java.class.version == 49.0

java.compiler == null

java.home == C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Windo ws\resource\jre

java.io.tmpdir == C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\

os.name == Windows NT (unknown)

os.arch == x86

os.version == 6.0

path.separator == ;

file.separator == \

file.encoding == Cp1252

user.name == Mark

user.home == C:\Users\Mark

user.dir == C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\I1227105299\Windo ws

user.language == en

user.region == null

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Install Begin: Wed Nov 19 14:35:13 GMT 2008

Install End: Wed Nov 19 14:37:18 GMT 2008

Installed by InstallAnywhere 8.0.1 Enterprise Build 3081, by Macrovision

User Interactions

-----------------

#Choose Delivery Method

#----------------------

DELIVERY_METHOD=Install via Uniloc (using the Internet or Phone Activation)

DELIVERY_METHOD_1=

DELIVERY_METHOD_2=Install via Uniloc (using the Internet or Phone Activation)

DELIVERY_METHOD_BOOLEAN_1=0

DELIVERY_METHOD_BOOLEAN_2=1

#Choose Installation Type

#------------------------

INSTALLATION_TYPE_VAR=\"Express\",\"\"

INSTALLATION_TYPE_VAR_1=Express

INSTALLATION_TYPE_VAR_2=

INSTALLATION_TYPE_VAR_BOOLEAN_1=1

INSTALLATION_TYPE_VAR_BOOLEAN_2=0

Summary

-------

Installation: Successful.

1588 Successes

0 Warnings

0 NonFatalErrors

0 FatalErrors

Action Notes:

None

Install Log Detail:

This Section can be provided if necessary but it is too long for this thread

Custom Action: com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer

Custom Action: com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsMediaCenter

Execute Command: netsh firewall add allowedprogram "$USER_INSTALL_DIR$\fm.exe" "Football Manager 2009" ENABLE

Execute Target File: DXSETUP.exe

My complaint:

I am a life long fan all the way back to having to purchased individual Champ Manager countries from Eidos. I have remained loyal and always look forward to the latest edition in the ever-evolving series.

From those early days via the super Tommy Svindel Larsen until now I am a big fan of the game. However, this version is thrawt with issues and it seems that there are no actual solutions to my particular issue.

I want a full explanation of what is going on and how to fix it ASAP.

If this is not done then I will be reporting SI and SEGA to the Office of Fair Trading. The game quite clearly markets the 3D aspect as the latest innovation and if this is not playable on a very modern PC then you have mis-sold the game.

What I expect from you:

1. An immediate response of acknowledgement along with a timescale indicating when you will have a solution. This should be in a suitable timeframe.

My Suggestions To You:

1. Tidy up the MASSIVE thread and create a concise document, available for all, explaining how to fix all known problems. You cannot expect customers to wade through this plethora of issues trying to find a solution to their problem. I know this has in part been done but the job needs finishing

2. Produce a new version of the game with all the fixes and offer to replace any OLD discs for the new ones. Effectively a produce recall.

3. Openly apologise to all your loyal customers who have been agonising and listing all their problems.

4. Change your tone to those with issues. I have seen many examples of SI being very unpolite to customers on these message boards and it is very unacceptable.

5. Really understand the brevity of your problem. The FM series is totally built around customer loyalty. We do not have to go out and spend £30 each year on this series but we do because really enjoy the game. You are letting everyone done and risking your loyal customer base by releasing a game in this shocking state.

On the plus side:

1. Mark Duffy (give him a bloody hand will you, the poor guy is talking the wrath of an entire nation while all the other messageboards point people in his direction and leave it at that)

2.The game, if and when it works, should be another good one. BUT ONLY IF IT DOES WORK.

Right well I really hope I hear from you and hope I can end up playing FM2009 and future versions cos I really do like the game. But I won't ever buy another version if you can't help me and this one will be returned too.

Many Thanks

• Administrators

Tommy Svindal Larsen, two things have you added any custom graphics to your game or edited the database?

Also have you tried running the game in windowed mode? To do this go to preferences and on the left-hand side display and sound, and change it to 'windowed' if this is greyed out look at the following thread for a solution - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64783

Keep me informed, thanks.

It Seems to me, the help people are more then happy to answer the same questions over and over again, for the people too lazy to read the thread.

Yet a Problem which has no answers and solutions gets unanswered. - not even a, im sorry i have no idea.

a reply would be nice.

Ive been playing games from SI since CM95/96 - and every year there is problems, bug this bug that, requires this patch and that patch.

NO OTHER GAME needs patches as much as games from these amatures, infact every year there is a patch out within a week of the games release.

WHY RELEASE SOMETHING THAT ISNT READY??? here is a clue, release the goldish demo earlier then 2 weeks before release. and get it tested by your community before it goes to print.

yet this has been the worst release of the lot, and i hope there are alot of job losses over this and alot of houses repossessed.

You are very lucky to have a community that will put up with this every year. But in times like these, you shouldnt take that for granted.

Here is a tip, instead of adding features that no body wants and spending most your budget on it (3d match engine). why dont you get it working instead, and maybe find a way to speed it up to?

ive asked all my friends, and not one uses the 2d or 3d engine - all use text.

Rant over

Try Jowood, also a bad company.

For example I receive a newsletter from them about Gothic 3: Forsake Gods will be released soon. Further down in that same newsletter they reffer to a patch being released on release date to fix numerous problems...

Company's shouldn't rush bugged games.

Hi,

Sorry to clog the forum with another problem thread, it may of already been answered, but in fairness there are quite a lot of posts to go through to find it!

I am trying to install FM 09 on my Laptop, so I can play at work (terrible of me I know, ).

Whenever I install it, weather using the Steam Method or 'Register via internet' whenever I try and authenticate my copy, first of all it tells me that 'I cannot connect to the internet' and once I try any of the work arounds - tried the activate.vbs script, the fixv3 file, deleting the certificates from the program data folder and reinstalling - it tells me that 'This unlock key is already active'

Now this is the second computer I am trying to install this on, I never even got the activation screen when I installed it on my main PC on Friday - and I havent been able to try that computer since, it has crashed. So I dont know if it even registered once at all!

Anyone know how to solve this problem? Like I said, I have tried all the suggested methods of deleting certificates etc, still no joy! Work is a bit tedious and boring at the minute, so I need something to get me through

Seriously, I am not just going to go away if my question remains ignored!

For people who are having problems when they try and play a game and it just locks. I had this very problem and after going through endless posts on this forum, I decided to have a play around with the settings.

On the preferences screen, firstly check enable 3D matchs box is ticked. If so, have allok at the boxs, enable stadiums and sky. I simply unticked both these boxes (just leaving enabling player names) and lo and behold the game no longer locks up when I play a game. In fact all i have to do now is work out how to beat Arsenal!!!!:D

My advice to anyone who is having problems with the actual running of the game is to play round with the prefences - every machine is going to be different and SI can't check everyone machine spec.

the Editor not working....

''This Application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Re-installing the game may fix this problem''

re-install fix not the problem....Net.framework 2.0 is install

:-(

Error 21.11.2008 ...Time.... Quelle: SideBySide

Generate Activation Context ist für F:\Spiele\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\tools\data editor\data editor.exe failed. Reference error message: The procedure was successfully terminated.

Resolve Partial Assembly ist für Microsoft.VC80.CRT failed. Reference error message: the reference assembly is not install on the PC.

But it is install

hiya if anyone could help me tht would be awsum, as i try to download it via Uniloc, it comes up as errors occured during the install.please see installation log for details.if any knows how to solve this problem please contact me, thanks much appreciated.

hiya if anyone could help me tht would be awsum, as i try to download it via Uniloc, it comes up as errors occured during the install.please see installation log for details.if any knows how to solve this problem please contact me, thanks much appreciated.

Iv got a problem i have not got the internet on the computer i want to play fm on wen i get to phone instalation i complete it and it still doesn't run i press finish and try and load the game and it takes my to phone instalation again ive had this since realease and im getting so fustrated please help

Anyone found a solution to the disc failing to read problem yet. I have been trying for three days to find a way around this one.

I have the same problem but SI just say it a problem with my cd/dvd drive but DELL have told me its all fine,now SI wont respond to my emails,if you have resolved your problem can u please let me know.Cheers.

• Administrators
Iv got a problem i have not got the internet on the computer i want to play fm on wen i get to phone instalation i complete it and it still doesn't run i press finish and try and load the game and it takes my to phone instalation again ive had this since realease and im getting so fustrated please help

You should contact Sega Support via this link - http://help.sega.com/?group=englishuk&t=EnglishUK

• Administrators
I have the same problem but SI just say it a problem with my cd/dvd drive but DELL have told me its all fine,now SI wont respond to my emails,if you have resolved your problem can u please let me know.Cheers.

There is a relatively easy solution to get around this:

My computer will not read my DVD disc

You can download the game in Steam without using the disc using the game code you have from your purchased game.

Download Steam from here - http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Install Steam on your computer

Once installed, open up Steam

Go to My Games

Go to Activate a product on Steam

Enter your Activation Code found on the back of the manual. (Use http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ to see you got all the 0's and o's right)

Steam should now download your game.

This is the worse game ive ever brought i start the game the screen goes black, then goes back to normal, i click on the game again and wow, apprantly im playing the FN game, well if the game is about making your screen go black then coming back on, THANK YOU

i have downloaded every thing you have asked, it still does not work i would rather spend £30 on starbust sweets than ever waste it on this JOKE OF A GAME

So what do i do? the screen goes black, then goes back to desk top if you know what the problem is please tell me, i am on XP

• Administrators
i looked at the link it only tells you the problem for internet users i completed the activation but it just sends me back to the activation page again after saying completed and finished

Submit a ticket with your issue and someone will get back to you.

• Administrators
This is the worse game ive ever brought i start the game the screen goes black, then goes back to normal, i click on the game again and wow, apprantly im playing the FN game, well if the game is about making your screen go black then coming back on, THANK YOU

i have downloaded every thing you have asked, it still does not work i would rather spend £30 on starbust sweets than ever waste it on this JOKE OF A GAME

So what do i do? the screen goes black, then goes back to desk top if you know what the problem is please tell me, i am on XP

Have you installed the 9.10 patch? If not this can be downloaded from here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=60961

Also I suggest running your game in windowed mode, details on how to do this can be found here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64783

Let me know how you get on. Thanks.

So Can I download them updates even if I am running my game with steam?

Have you installed the 9.10 patch? If not this can be downloaded from here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=60961

Also I suggest running your game in windowed mode, details on how to do this can be found here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64783

• Administrators

Okay for all people with PHONE ACTIVATION ISSUES:

We have created a disconnected Activator Fix - This means the computer you are activating on DOES NOT NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET.

This fix will let you create a file, go to a website, upload the file, and then install a response file so that you can play the game without the game ever needing the internet on your 'installing' machine which is not connected. We hope this fixes the problem for most of you.

Please download the fix here:

http://www.footballmanager.com/fixv3.zip

To use the fix, please do the following:

1) Download the file to your desktop

2) Unzip the contents of the file - You must unzip ALL of the files... (ActivatorDLL.dll, FootballManager2009.jpg and RunMe.exe)

3) Click RunMe.exe

4) Enter your license key under the panel that reads "Step 1"

5) Press the "Save" button

6) Save the "Request.txt" file to your desktop

7) In Internet Explorer - go to http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/fileactivate.aspx - You may also click the link under the panel that says "Step 2"

8) In the web page that you have opened, please use the "Browse" button to upload "Request.txt" to the server

9) Press "Upload" and upload the file to the server

10) The server will then ask you to save a file called "Response.txt"

11) Save this file to your desktop

Now you have this text file, move that and the 'Fix' program onto the computer you are trying to activate via any means (such as a USB stick or CD)

12) Once this is done, go back to the fix program. Under the panel that says "Step 3" press the "Load" button and then find Response.txt on your desktop, or wherever you saved it to in step 11, for Vista users the default is the ‘download’ folder in Users Documents, for XP users the default is typically the desktop.

13) Once you have loaded the file - the application will tell you if you have been successful.

14) If you are successful - Please start your game.

There is a relatively easy solution to get around this:

My computer will not read my DVD disc

You can download the game in Steam without using the disc using the game code you have from your purchased game.

Download Steam from here - http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Install Steam on your computer

Once installed, open up Steam

Go to My Games

Go to Activate a product on Steam

Enter your Activation Code found on the back of the manual. (Use http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ to see you got all the 0's and o's right)

Steam should now download your game.

Hi,that seemed to have worked but when it tried to launch it came up "failed to set up graphics system" please help.Cheers

Aye, it's updated alright and It does work with windowed, but when i try to start a game it goes off 9.10 then, i restarted n tryed going on default and same happend then, at least i am getting further lol

With Steam the game should be automatically updated with the patch. Try the windowed mode and see if that helps.

i was wondering whether you know if my graphics card is good enough for the game.

VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP. i downloaded the demo and when i click on it i keep getting a message saying "Cannot run game: Failed to set up graphics system." Please Help

• Administrators
i was wondering whether you know if my graphics card is good enough for the game.

VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP. i downloaded the demo and when i click on it i keep getting a message saying "Cannot run game: Failed to set up graphics system." Please Help

Did you try the UPDATED demo?

FM 2009 v9.1.0 'Demo Compatability' Patch

Torrent - http://torrents.sigames.com:7000/tor...65C862D96E9AE1

Download 1 - http://www.lespacio.com/fm2009.php(with thanks to Jez @ Laspacio)

We are working on making this available via other methods too.

I have been successfully playing the demo on a MacBook with 10.4.11. If I buy the game and want to continue with my demo saved game will it work if I have upgrade to Leopard before I install the game? In other words, is there an issue with a change of OS and transferring a saved game from demo on Tiger to the full version in Leopard?

• Administrators
To nbrocky: Hy, I want know if problem with "Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family" are solved or not. Before buy game, I want see if it work. Let me know

I'd suggest trying the updated demo, I believe this has the same code as the proper patched game now.

FM 2009 v9.1.0 'Demo Compatability' Patch

Torrent - http://torrents.sigames.com:7000/tor...65C862D96E9AE1

Download 1 - http://www.lespacio.com/fm2009.php(with thanks to Jez @ Laspacio)

A saved game will work with either version of the Mac OS, I don't think however a Mac save game would work on a PC mind! ;)

Thanks for the swift reply. Just to clarify, if I buy Leopard on disc, put it on my MacBook, then buy the game on disc, put that on my MacBook, and download the patch, I should be able to play my saved game from the demo eventhough it was played on Tiger?

Your reply also suggests that I need not bother buying Leopard at all and just buy the game and use it on Tiger if the demo has worked - correct?

Thanks for your help.

I bought the game and played it for the first time, saved it but when i went to open the game to play it again the XML parsing error keeps coming up with "invalid token at line 1 of profile".

I tried what was on the solution but it won't work, anyone have any other solutions to this, Please help, i am dying to play the game!!!!!!:mad:

• Administrators
nope nbrocky the patch didnt work same error message as before

Sorry I'm confused, you've not got the game have you, you've been trying the demo?

I said to download and try the updated demo NOT the patch, as the patch is only for full versions of the game.

Let me know okay?

• Administrators
I bought the game and played it for the first time, saved it but when i went to open the game to play it again the XML parsing error keeps coming up with "invalid token at line 1 of profile".

I tried what was on the solution but it won't work, anyone have any other solutions to this, Please help, i am dying to play the game!!!!!!:mad:

There are lots of known issue threads, I suggest reading these before posting as you'll normally get quicker answers. Here is XML help below:

I can't play the game due to an XML parsing error

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

• Right-click on the FM shortcut.
  • Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
  • In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences
  • Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

• If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/
  • If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

Also XML Parsing Errors

When suffering from XML errors we advise downloading a newer version of XML Parser from Microsoft, this can be done so from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

• Administrators
no i downloaded the file you told me to it looked like a patch to me so i said it was a patch sorry

You don't have to apologise to me mate :D

I think I've got confused and apologise to you! You downloaded the Demo compatibility patch right, and tried to install it. It installed okay but the game still won't run for you? Is that the current state of affairs? Let me know, thanks.

I am getting an XML parsing error. I tried resetting my preferences and it didn't work. I then created a new game and tried it that way. The game crashes when I try to play a match and crashes when I try to go on holiday. Any help would be most appreciated.

Update: Never mind, I didn't notice the advice given in the above post. I will try it that way when I get home.

Archived