Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've installed my game fine, through steam, and installed the patch too. Once I try to load up a new game I get this error:

MATCH_EVENT_HANDLER::read_config() - failed to open config file

Then it loads a wee bit longer then I get 2 errors:

MATCH_EVENT_HANDLER::read_config() - failed to open config file

and

MATCH_EVENT_HANDLER::MATCH_EVENT_HANDLER() - Cannot read config file

Then it continues loading then suddenly cuts off. Any suggestions?

I've just tried installing it on another computer and while that was happening I tried once again on this computer and, minus the disc, the game loaded but the same error occurred. Surely it shouldn't even get that far without the disc however?

You receive an error when trying to install the Patch - digital signature issue (Vista)

Fix:

1. Create a shortcut on the desktop to cmd.exe (if you don’t know how to see guide below)

2. Right-click on the shortcut and select Run as administrator

3. When the command window opens, type or paste the following and press ENTER:

Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON

4. Reboot and then try installing the driver.

Quick Guide to Creating a shortcut:

1. Right click on an empty space on the desktop to open the context menu

2. Select New

3. Select Shortcut with a left-click

4. In the location box type cmd /k Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON 5. Select Next

6. Name your shortcut and push Finish

This doesn't seem to work for XP, any ideas?

Went through 5 pages and no answer so I'll try here. Basically, I need to know what I've done with Editor. I tried to create a desktop shortcut and now it is finding no databases, not the patch, not the original, not nowt. Any ideas how to fix?

Put a donk on it

xoxoxoxo

I recently buy a boxed version of fm 2009, but after the instalation, i try to execute the game, but nothing happens, no error , no sounds, nothin at all.

The demo version works, bur the game no.

Java: updated (today)

.NET 1.1, 2.1 3.0 and 3.5. Recently updated.(today)

DX: Directx recently updated. (today)

Graphic drivers: updated (today)

What can i do?

Edit: in task manager appears the fm.exe (with 170MB more or less), bur with 0% of CPU usage.

Can you try running the game in Windowed mode to see if that helps.

You can find this option in the Preferences screen in the Display & Sound section.

It works fine in Windowed mode, thank you very much for your help...

Although this is just a temporary fix (bit annoying with all the scroll bars etc)

Will you guys be able to permanently fix it?

Thanks again :)

After paticently waiting waiting for the MAC Patch I could no longer contain myself and tried to play the game being carful not to right click of course.

But the game just froze when I tried to play a game is this something that will be fixed in the patch, or is there something else I need to do.

5 days not even a game. "I can't stance no more"!!

What's the exact username of your machine?

Can you try and create a temporary username, ensuring it has normal characters (like "Neil") and see if you can install it.

Now im kicking myself for not trying that earlier!

It works (touch wood) absolutly fine now.

Thanks very much Neil im very gratefull.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livew1re View Post

i have the EXACT same problem and its starting to annoy me!! cannot play the game at all yet no problems with install or activation!

Could try the below - didn't work for me but you may have more success. Also install the update patch which may help.

Still waiting for SI to get on the forums today......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Duffy

Fix: This can be resolved by updating the Microsoft Dot.Net framework, please visit the following URL to download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc78 View Post

Marc - I have the same problem as above (fm.exe crash posted by Stedders, Lad and Bigal81 above) and the noted fix doesn't work. I don't have the net at present so I had to copy to disc and place onto computer though it installed fine however same error occurs:

AppName: fm.exe AppVer: 9.0.0.23544 ModName: fm.exe

ModVer: 9.1.0.26064 Offset: 00o0e857

I have Dell dimension

Windows XP home

512mb ram

Pentium 4 2.6ghz

1000mb available memory

DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Internet is currently down though activated through phone authorisation which worked ok.

Tested fm2009 on parents pc and it worked fine.

Puzzled!.

OK, SO IVE TRYED

1. INSTALLING NEW GRAPHICS DRIVERS.

2.INSTALLING PATCH FOR GAME.

3.INSTALLING .NET THINGY.

and still the game doesnt work. still get the fm09 has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Hi guys, my brother went out and bought FM09 after I bought a copy and was one of the few who installed it without fuss, and the patch without fuss, and activated without fuss, and have been playing with no problems, bugs or crashes since. But my brother's game isn't even read by his laptop, the machine whirrs and grumbles to itself a bit but nothing happens. We tried putting my disc in to see if it was just the disc he bought but no luck. This isn't an activation issue I know, since the drive (which is a DVD drive, I checked) doesn't even recognise anything being in it, but would this be anything to do with the laptop (which is pretty new and fairly top of the range, only 6 months old) or could it be a disc issue?

His laptop is an Aspire 9304WSMi, specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium

Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56 1.80 GHz

Memory: 1791MB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hi, Im having the same problem,has any one told you how to fix it.Cheers.

Hi,

I am able to install FM09 and get through the first few days of play, however when I go to play a game and it comes up with 'loading match screen', it doesn't go any further. Any help? My mac laptop simply freezes and therefore won't play a match.

Thanks.

Quote:

i have the EXACT same problem and its starting to annoy me!! cannot play the game at all yet no problems with install or activation!

Could try the below - didn't work for me but you may have more success. Also install the update patch which may help.

Quote:

Fix: This can be resolved by updating the Microsoft Dot.Net framework, please visit the following URL to download:

Quote:

Marc - I have the same problem as above (fm.exe crash posted by Stedders, Lad and Bigal81 above) and the noted fix doesn't work. I don't have the net at present so I had to copy to disc and place onto computer though it installed fine however same error occurs:

I have Dell dimension

Windows XP home

512mb ram

Pentium 4 2.6ghz

1000mb available memory

Internet is currently down though activated through phone authorisation which worked ok.

Puzzled!.

OK, SO IVE TRYED

and still the game doesnt work. still get the fm09 has encountered a problem and needs to close.

I'm in same situation and still no joy. Trying to wait patiently for answer by getting frustrated now.

Originally Posted by Livew1re

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have Dell dimension

Windows XP home

512mb ram

Pentium 4 2.6ghz

1000mb available memory

Puzzled!.

OK, SO IVE TRYED

I'm in same situation and still no joy. Trying to wait patiently for answer by getting frustrated now.

I;m also in the EXACT same situation as Livew1re and Tc78

This is my problem even though the steam screen says 100% ready and installed please help, I didnt buy the game to have to mess around like this

Installation: Successfulwith errors.

10 Successes

1 Warnings

1 NonFatalErrors

0 FatalErrors

Action Notes:

None

Install Log Detail:

Execute Script/Batch file: Steam InternetCheck.exe

Get Registry Entry: Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam

Value Name: InternetConnectivity

Check Disk Space: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009

Additional Notes: NOTE - Required Disk Space: 223,090,694; Free Disk Space: 23,604,281,344

Install Action: Jump To: Next Steam Label -- Prev: NO JUMP

Install Directory: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\

Get Registry Entry: Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam\

Value Name: InstallPath

Additional Notes: WARNING - Win32Exception

Execute Script/Batch file: Install Steam

Execute Command: "$IA_STEAM_INSTALLPATH$\steam.exe" -install $INSTALLER_LAUNCH_DIR$\..\..\..\..\thirdparty\steam\fm2009\

Install File: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\saAuditMD.dll

Execute Uninstaller: $USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$Uninstall $PRODUCT_NAME

Additional Notes: ERROR - No uninstaller existed in the directory

Ok i firstly had Can't set up graphics downloaded your stuff, then update steam, then downloaded the patch, my drives are up to date (the last update avaliable is 2004). Now i have same problem a clock and a L and then it closes after a while sayng it can run and had to be closed.

I had no problems of any sort with FM2008 with maximum set up (like 20 playable leagues)

My card is a VIA/S3G Unichrome PRO IGP

Now my point is you mad life miserable to hundres of people and u never mantion before that new game requirements were so high.

Just tell me will i be able to run this game or not as I have limited time to bring the game back and get a refund.

Now it would be fantastic if someone would give me an answer after almost 24 hrs ,expecially considering that it took the cashier 24 seconds to take the money and I only have 9 days left to return the game.

When you do answer if you do plese don't use jargon as I am new to this ( iwish i never had to join) so send me a PM or I sent you a PM for be could be past midday or pesonal message i haven got a clue....

Do we have an answer yet for the basic "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" issue? That's what I get when I try to launch the game. And, by the way, how do I download the patch? I click on it and nothing happens...

Actually I lie - I cant download the patch - its telling me that the certificate is unknown (or words to that affect).

I WILL NOT LET THIS GAME BEAT ME!!

Even though I know nothing about computers what so ever!

If it helps I am trying to DownLoad the patch my internet explorer is MSN

Also I cant run the DirectX Sdk setup as I have the following message:

"This setup executable has not been packed with files and settings. Please use the PACKER tool to build this executable"

Error code S1001

Please help me!!

Hi Chaps,

I'm really stumped and in need of some assistance. My match engine freezes for around a minute when I try and make a sub or tactical change. It also does the same when returning to the match.

I only want it on commentary so have tried disabling the 3D mode, I've played in windows mode and still get the same problem. I get no other slow down during the game, just this.

I'm really at the end of my patience with it and know you guys are very busy, but I'd appreciate some advice. My system meets the spec requirements and last year's version ran without issues.

Any help here would be gratefully received - cheers

Install File: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data\facegen\tongue.png

Install File: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data\fonts.fmf

Install File: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data\graphics.fmf

Additional Notes: ERROR - ZeroGpl: ZIP_Read: error reading zip file

Install Directory: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data\

Additional Notes: FATAL ERROR - Error Installing Folder Contents: java.util.zip.ZipException: ZIP_Read: error reading zip file

Post Installation - Install a success, however a fatal error has been discovered.

.....On checking the Install log, the above is shown. (Latest Java version has been installed)

Solution/Fix??????

This whole things a ****ing joke really, if anybody has a phone number/website/e-mail address where our feelings can be truly heard, I would be grateful. This is customers money (in a ime where it is generally sparse) being put to absolute ****ing waste!

I aim to take the game back tomorrow, and certainly LOOK into purchasing a DIFFERENT manager game. I know I shan't be the only one. Ridiculous.

Cant believe it! Thought I had found a potential answer to the "not recognising the certificate" problem (there was a post on page 18) but now Rapid Share states I have reached my download limit for free downloads, and I have to wait an hour to try again - it takes 20 mins to download it!! So now I won't be able to make another attempt to try to get the game working until at least 10pm!!

I'm sure this is probably somewhere else in the 1,000-odd posts above, but I have activated my product key with STEAM and the game played fine the first time.

The second time I tried to play, the SOFTanchor window informs me that my trial period is up and I need to activate my product key. When I type it in, I get the message "this product key is already active. To purchase an unlock key, please visit: www.sigames.com"

I purchased my game at a retail outlet on Friday. What do I do to get it running please? I have tried deleting STEAM and re-installing using the other online option but the same results. There is no application data folder in documentsandsettings/allusers to delete even though I am using Windows XP, and I've done a search and it can't find the Football Manager 2009 certificate file either.

Hi Neil. First post and wondering if you could help. Installed the game with a couple of problems but managed to get through it, had a problem with the Data Editor which i downloaded a link you provided and that allowed it to open. However, on doing that, i click to open the database on the data editor, it loads and as soon as it is fully loaded the programme just closes. Done this quite a few times but it just does the same. Any ideas?

Hi guys, I know you are extremely busy and everything, and you must be working round the clock to help as many people as you can (i'm sure the hundreds/thousands of people who've got the game working due to your help will testify to that), but unless I'm looking in the wrong place (most likely) there hasn't been a post by an administrator on this thread for 4 hours - can some PLEASE help out, I'm sure I'm not the only one but I've been on here looking for help all of yesterday evening and for two hours tonight and still cant find any help with my earlier queries - all I really want to know is are my queries fixable or should I just try and take the game back (which I really don't want to do)!!

I reckon this is the most stressed I have ever been as a gamer (having an xbox 360 with 3 reds lights doesn't help either, but I digress!!)

hi i have been throught the process posted at the top and after typing in my keycode on the activator it comes up with "activation failed error:-1. Please make sure you use the correct key and try again" the problem being that on the link to check the key code it says it is correct/valid any help on this would be great thanks

I finally managed to activate it.

In the end I left it on overnight and while I was at work and it eventually activated.

However now when I try to boot the game either through steam or through fm.exe nothing happens except I eventually get a message in windows informing me a jack has been unplugged. It may be the same situation as with the activation in which case if I leave it for 8+ hours. The process fm.exe is displayed in the task manager and when I close it in the task manager I am told a jack has been plugged in.

I suspect it may work if I leave it for 8+ hours howver I ama not really prepared to do this each time I wish to run the game.

I am using Windows Vista pc with an Intel core 2 duo CPU 3GHz and have 4gb of RAM and I purchased the game through steam.

Thank you for the help

hey anyone who gets the -51 error and has followed the given instructions i.e. download the fix program and still gets no joy listen up . . . . . uninstall all previous fm games, manually search for any sports interactive folders and delete them, leave no trace of fm on ur computer, restart computer and go to install game,

on the install options DO NOT CHOOSE EXPRESS, choose manual install and just install the game. . . . .no directx, do not choose run after install or any other option . . . when done, run the fix program and enter key code after checking ur code as stated previously . . .

that should do the trick

P.S. whoever is to blame for this mess should be sacked and the whole registration thing should be scrapped an all.

Very Very Very POOR

P.P.S this may work with other error codes - i dont know nish about computers but its worth a try

Hi

My issue is that whenever I come to start a game I cannot get past team selection without the game freezing. This is with either the 3d match engine turned on or with it turned off. I cannot evern get past the 1st friendly of the season.

Matt ive had same problem.. i was told to update java... and vista (if ur on that)...

also play it with no other programs running bar the ones you need. If that fails try windowed mode.. which is what im trying

well my vista is up to date as my laptop doubles up as a work pc - ironically testing software! So just checking the JAVA and then switching to the windows mode.

Cheers Mate

Ive downloaded the fixV2.zip and extracted all the files and then I accessed the launcher and entered in my license key, to which I received the message that I had successfully completed the activation of my game.

I cannot actually get into FM however for the following reasons:

Entering through desktop - I receive the ' saAuditMD.dll ' error message - I have downloaded the required files and copied them to the required place but they already exist and even though I copy them to the designated place I still receive the same message every time I try and enter through the desktop - This I feel might be down to the fact that Football Manager hasn't been saved just within 'Sports interactive' but the majority of the games files have been saved under 'Steam'?

Entering through Steam - Simply states that the game inst accessible at this moment in time

Entering through auto run - Nothing happens

Anybody have any ideas as how to get into FM?

Has there been a solution to 'fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close' yet. I posted this error days ago and was told by Marc Duffy to post it in the technical forum. I did and as of yet no one from SI has helped with the error? Are they just hoping this error will go away, or are they working on it?

I don't mind if they are, but at least TELL US!

hey anyone who gets the -51 error and has followed the given instructions i.e. download the fix program and still gets no joy listen up . . . . . uninstall all previous fm games, manually search for any sports interactive folders and delete them, leave no trace of fm on ur computer, restart computer and go to install game,

on the install options DO NOT CHOOSE EXPRESS, choose manual install and just install the game. . . . .no directx, do not choose run after install or any other option . . . when done, run the fix program and enter key code after checking ur code as stated previously . . .

that should do the trick

P.S. whoever is to blame for this mess should be sacked and the whole registration thing should be scrapped an all.

Very Very Very POOR

P.P.S this may work with other error codes - i dont know nish about computers but its worth a try

Thanks RobMidas. I'm now up and running just four days after having bought the product from a shop. Completely agree with your whole message - an absolutely abysmal launch.

Hi there,

I'm having so much trouble installing the game, almost given up hope!

I followed the commands on screen, activated the game, but everytime I try to run the game I get this message, 'Football Manager 2009 has stopped working'. Is this a vista problem yet again?

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and then it says there was an error when installing, check installation log, but I don't know what that is or where to find it.

I'm running out of ideas as to what's went wrong, no one else seems to have had this problem.

Help! Samantha xx:(

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, SO FRUSTRATED WITH THIS.

These forums are an absolute mess and are giving me a headache trying to navigate around, the first post of this thread is great but when you get past those problems there's no guidance as to where to go next. Any advice given by mods quickly gets lost, this advice/help needs to be stickied like the first post.

No-one from Sega/Si has bothered responding to my request in here or on the technical forum for 48 hours.

FM09 still works for me through steam but crashes every other match and is incredibly slow. When I try in windows mode it just crashes. I've downloaded everything I can find on these forums to download, but still no joy when it comes to FM09.

I bought this game Friday, spent the whole of Fri/Sat/Sun trying to activate it, download updates and struggle through a handful of weeks playing the game. From what I've seen of the game so far, I can't see any improvements apart from the Assistant Manager's role. I've then spent Monday evening and tonight trawling through these forums trying to find answers to my questions to no avail.

PLEASE, PLEASE, someone from Si/Sega sort this all out before I and probably many others just give up and take the game back.

Peter

Archived