Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's very unusual and this is the source of your problem.

I'm not sure why it would 'vanish'. Do you have anti virus installed and running? Might be worth disabling it while you do this to see if it's actually deleting the exe for some reason.

Hmmm - I'm on the work computer which probably has some restrictions on what you can and can't download. However, I've tried installing it from the disk (which ought to be OK as I'm not downloading anything) and I still don't have an 'fm.exe.' file.

Alright folks, new here so take it easy.

Bought the game on Friday...still can't get it installed. Firstly, the laptop I use to play FM has got an internet connection yet. Installed it there, rang to activate the game, said that it was complete but when I tried to load the game it just brought me back to the same activaton screen.

I then tried installing it on my da's laptop but he got a bit defensive about using his work computer for games so had to uninstall. I want it on my old laptop but is there any way to install it without the internet or without ringing through to that unbelievably annoying automated machine?

I have the game 5 days now and still havn't got a sniff out of yet

IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING ONE OF THESE ISSUES – PLEASE READ

When I try to activate, it says I'm not connected to the internet / other activation problems

OR

Error: You are receiving the Error ‘Product Key already Active’ message

OR

I’m receiving the Error [-10] what can I do?

OR

You are receiving a [-703] error:We were unable to process your unlock request. To receive a new key please visit sigames.com

OR

You are receiving an Error [-821]

OR

Error: You are receiving the Error [-51] / [-52] message

OR

You receive the ‘Error: Application was unable to connect to the internet. Please check your connection.

We have created a small application that should help anybody having trouble activating the game online, successfully activate. Please follow the steps in order and if you do experience problems, please report at which step you encountered the problem and any associated error messages.

Step 1 – Download the file from http://www.footballmanager.com/fixv2.zip

Step 2 – Unzip the contents of the archive to your desktop.

Step 3 – Double click the FM09Fix.exe file. Note the screen shot below.

Step 4 – Extract the files to a convenient location, pressing Install will place them on the desktop, this is the default behaviour. Two files will be extracted – Launcher.exe and Activator.exe

Step 5 – Please double click Launcher.exe and you will see a dialog box prompting you for your license key

Step 6 – Enter your license key into the dialog. Remember – to check your key at http://keycheck.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com

Step 7 – Press OK - then wait 30-60 seconds and you will receive a second message. If you are successful – the message will read: Activation completed successfully. Please try to run the game

If you get this message, open the game and run it.

If the activation fails, the message will read something like: Activation failed with error: -1003. Please make sure you use the correct key and try again.

The number in this message will help us understand the problem. For example, In this case the number -1003 indicates that your license key is invalid. If the error is -1003 enter your license key into the form at: http://keycheck.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com

If it is something besides -1003, please send Muzchap or JMordetsky a PM via the www.sigames.com forums and they will do their best to help!

i got a -1 error what ever that means?

SORRY NEIL I HAVEN'T WORKED OUT HOW TO QUOTE

Okay let's start with the basics:

DirectX from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_di...f22aca64b8e67/

The patch can be found here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=60961

Download and install those and let me know if that's helped.

Downloaded DirectX and I THINK I downloaded the patch, though at the very end of the download a box opened saying something about an unrecognised publisher?? :S

I'm gonna give FM 09 another try now, so if it shuts down, I will be back on here in time for a reply I imagine.

Thanks for the help thus far mate.

Still havent found a solution to this problem with the Data Editor anywhere - any help would be appreciated.

"

The application has failed to startbecause its side by side configuration is incorrect. please see the event log application for more detail. "

NB I am running Vista but unsure if this is just a Vista issue or not. This is a non-steam installation.

Neil,

It shut down on me again :(

I am sure that DirectX was installed correctly, however I am not so sure of the fm patchbecause it got to the very end and then the box appeared saying 'unknown publisher' with my only apparent option being to click 'ok'.

Any ideas from here on in mate?

Off to France tomorrow, so Its me and you v Time itself. We can go down in History Neil. If you had one shot..would you take it...or just let it slip? I think you better lose yourself in the moment!

Keep cracking away please!

The problem most of us are having with "Setting Up Match Screen" box is getting pretty annoying. It seems everybody I've spoken to about it have the required system specs but its still happening? Any chance of a solution or maybe a fix in the next patch?

Thats the only major problem really which is pretty annoying, but aside from that SI, brilliant game!

I haven't got a clue about all this technical stuff so be patient please.

I bought the game yesterday,installed it and at the end it said, congratulations installation successful.I thought all good so far but as soon as i double click on the fm09 logo to start the game all i get is, fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I thank you all in advance.

Hey lads having preordered the new game a few weeks ago it has arrived late last week. I've been overseas with work so havent had a chance to try it out yet but was going to have a go this evening when I get home from work. I'm kind of worried now. I just came on here to see what type of response the game was getting. Ive loved all fm's and cm's before it and never had any trouble. I'm loading on to a home pc which I dont have the details of but its only 2 years old and wouldnt have any software of note installed on it, whereas my own laptop has a lot of work related software and was hesitant about using it. Is there any advice anyone can give me in advance or is it just pot luck. How long should typical setup take before I can play???

SORRY NEIL I HAVEN'T WORKED OUT HOW TO QUOTE

Okay let's start with the basics:

DirectX from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_di...f22aca64b8e67/

The patch can be found here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=60961

Download and install those and let me know if that's helped.

Downloaded DirectX and I THINK I downloaded the patch, though at the very end of the download a box opened saying something about an unrecognised publisher?? :S

I'm gonna give FM 09 another try now, so if it shuts down, I will be back on here in time for a reply I imagine.

Thanks for the help thus far mate.

Sounds like you didn't install the patch. What web browser are you using? Can you try a different one to see if you get the same problem?

Still havent found a solution to this problem with the Data Editor anywhere - any help would be appreciated.

"

The application has failed to startbecause its side by side configuration is incorrect. please see the event log application for more detail. "

NB I am running Vista but unsure if this is just a Vista issue or not. This is a non-steam installation.

Try installing this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&displaylang=en

Sounds like you didn't install the patch. What web browser are you using? Can you try a different one to see if you get the same problem?

Yeah I have tried three now choosing to 'run' the patch rather than 'save' it...

Eeeeerm, Internet Explorer? I don't know what specific type it is though...

I'm losing grip of my optimism now, and swiftly moving into euphoric rage.

Still appreciate your effort.

Yeah I have tried three now choosing to 'run' the patch rather than 'save' it...

Eeeeerm, Internet Explorer? I don't know what specific type it is though...

I'm losing grip of my optimism now, and swiftly moving into euphoric rage.

Still appreciate your effort.

Have you tried different links from that page that lists the download?

Originally Posted by Skipster

Evening,

I am getting the following error message: fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The game appeared to install ok and there was no problems with authentication.

Any ideas?

i have the EXACT same problem and its starting to annoy me!! cannot play the game at all yet no problems with install or activation!

anyone got any further advance on this problem?

Hi Neil,

Me again. Thanks for getting me up and running. Not sure im in the right thread here so apologies if not, but i literally don't have an option to choose 3D. My graphics card is RADEON 9250, and i've updated my graphics drivers etc - should this work or not?

is there anything else preventing the 3d option appearing. i've read on other posts from your SI colleagues who have simply answered 'your computer does not support 3d' but that would appear to me quite obvious, i was wondering since you've been so helpful previously, if you could tell me some common specifications that might be my downfall.

thanks

Liam

Have you tried different links from that page that lists the download?

Yeah mate, actually tried all of them now. So where does that leave me standing?

Haha! this is all an utter shambles!

It's an issue with your machine.

Open Internet Explorer and go to 'Tools'.

From the pop-up select the 'Security' tab.

Lower the protection and 'Apply' and try and download again to see if that helps. You may want to do the same for the Privacy tab too.

Select 'Apply' and 'OK'

You can revert them back to what they were afterwards.

Hi Neil,

Me again. Thanks for getting me up and running. Not sure im in the right thread here so apologies if not, but i literally don't have an option to choose 3D. My graphics card is RADEON 9250, and i've updated my graphics drivers etc - should this work or not?

is there anything else preventing the 3d option appearing. i've read on other posts from your SI colleagues who have simply answered 'your computer does not support 3d' but that would appear to me quite obvious, i was wondering since you've been so helpful previously, if you could tell me some common specifications that might be my downfall.

thanks

Liam

Hi Liam,

You won't be able to run 3D. Your graphics card is below the minimum specifications, so only 2D will be available I'm afraid (ATI 9800 or higher for 3D). Your only option is to upgrade your graphics card.

Hi Liam,

You won't be able to run 3D. Your graphics card is below the minimum specifications, so only 2D will be available I'm afraid (ATI 9800 or higher for 3D). Your only option is to upgrade your graphics card.

I have a Radeon 9700!!... is that the reason I get the fm.exe encountered problems????... what do I need to update?. Already done the suggested dotnet.fix thingy and no joy!.

Hi Neil,

I appreciate you're extremely busy but any chance you can help a few of us with the, fm.exe has encountered and needs to close problem?

I installed and activated the game fine.

have got the patch installed too....

I can play the game fine, but often when I click to see highlights of one of my matches (in this case a friendly, clicking on the score) the loading football comes but then it just freezes!

End up having to ctrl+alt+delete and end the fm.exe process!

I'm running Windows Vista, NVidia GeForce 8400M

Can you try running the game in Windowed mode to see if that helps.

You can find this option in the Preferences screen in the Display & Sound section.

Hi I'm still getting Error -51. I have tried your solution of uninstalling the game, and then rebooting, installing and then activating, but still getting the same error. When i get the error i click back and then next again and the screen gets stuck on the initialising page.

I am running windows vista

Installation: Successfulwith errors.

1587 Successes

0 Warnings

1 NonFatalErrors

0 FatalErrors

Action Notes:

None

Custom Action: com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer

Additional Notes: ERROR - class com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer NonfatalInstallException AddGameExplorerTasks() failed: Failed to retrieve GUID for application

Hi Liam,

Great (well, its great in the sense that i got a straight answer). I shall update my graphics card. Out of interest, if i keep playing a saved game, and get half way through a season, and then change my graphics card - when i next boot it up, will it have the 3d enabled or will i have to a) do a total reinstall of the game or b) start a new game on fm09?

Are the problem queries dying down your end or not mate?

Liam

This has probably been posted before but when i submit team the icon turns into a ball and freezes. I go into task manager end proccess and restart and it works. This happens every 2 matches. I'm running Vista 32bit and I've updated everything e.g. patch, drivers etc.

thx in advance

Great (well, its great in the sense that i got a straight answer). I shall update my graphics card. Out of interest, if i keep playing a saved game, and get half way through a season, and then change my graphics card - when i next boot it up, will it have the 3d enabled or will i have to a) do a total reinstall of the game or b) start a new game on fm09?

Are the problem queries dying down your end or not mate?

Liam

If you change your graphics card you will be able to keep playing your saved game and it will have 3D enabled so that you can use it. You won't have to reinstall your game or start a new FM game.

hi neil.

i installed my game using steam, got the update9.1.0and im half way through my 1st season wit qpr. so it looks like im doin alot betr than most!

im delighted that mine is working at all, but its extremely slow! cant watch any highlights, just commentary..

i respect that there are bigger problems to solve, but im just wondering wot i can do!

thanks

Liam

If you change your graphics card you will be able to keep playing your saved game and it will have 3D enabled so that you can use it. You won't have to reinstall your game or start a new FM game.

Thanks Neil, I'll leave you alone now. I've got to say, there seems to be a lot of Liam's floating around on this forum, must be a popular name for FM Fans!

Liam

Thanks for all them replies SI!

It's ok don't bother answering to them now as i've already made my mind up to take the game back and get a full refund.

I've had the game two days and still haven't been able to get beyond the double click on the logo.I've bought every CM and FM but to have to go through all this rubbish just to attempt to play the game is ridiculous.

That's me done,good luck to all you diehards,it looks like you're all going to need it!

Archived