Known issues and solutions - FAQ

I Have the game loaded on to my MAC, but I am gutted that it is really unplayable at all. I can't move the positions of the players in the tactics screen manually and the right click function just messes up the game even more. Once you have right clicked you can't click on anything else, until you move the pointer (which turns in to the shirt you have tried to select) over to the bottom left hand corner (weird!!!!). once you have the arrow back it will drop down the menu's but not let you select anything in them so you can't even quit.

I have read throught loads of these posts. But there doesn't seem to be any real reply to the MAC posts. When is the patch coming out and were can I get it when it does.

There's a ctrl-click bug on the Mac. Use an external mouse or the trackpad option (two fingers on the trackpad + click) that you can set up in System Preferences. It'll be fixed in the patch, which is supposed to come out today, but noone really knows.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have a macbook processor 2GHz Intel core 2 duo memory 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

version 10.5.5 on OS X with macintosh HD, everything works fine until i try and start a match with the 3D engine. This then freezes my computer and i cant do anything. How can i stop this/ is there a mac patch coming out. ??

Have you tried switching off the 3D match engine? Might be a graphics card / RAM issue.

Hi, I'm Lorenzo, I'm italian and I apologise for my english.

I bought the game 2 days ago and I can't install the game yet.

I have always the -10 error. This is incredible, I bought the game and I can't play.

I've sent an email to Marc but he didn't write me back.

I don't know what to do.

I'm on Vista, I tried to disactivate my firewall, but it is useless.

I've no anti-virus programme so I can't explain where is the problem.

50€ for a game and I can't play, simply amazing.

I report my message on this page. Help me, I'm very frustrated.

No phone activation option appearing after installation.

I've uninstalled, restarted my computer and reinstalled this game on six occasions. Each time I have selected the uniloc option (using the internet or phone activation). After installation has been successfully completed and the Soft Anchor screen appears there has been only one occasion where the option for both online and phone activation appeared. On the other five occasions there is only the online activation. Any idea why the phone activation option is not appearing? I've checked the install log and under choose delivery method it has Install via uniloc.

On the one occasion I had the phone activation I went through the process and was apparently successful. However, nothing happened and when tried starting FM09 was presented with the Soft Anchor activation screen again. Any ideas of why this is happening?

Is there any update on why the phone activation option frequently does not appear after selecting uniloc option?

I know you have been wild busy and been doing all you can to help resolve the myriad of issues but really this game should never have been released as is. Not only is it virtually unplayable, by all accounts, without downloading the patch with it but the activation procedure is an absolute disaster. It is beyond me how the QA departments of four organisations (Sega, SI, Steam and Uniloc) can let this game be released in this state. These are not minor issues they are showstoppers.

If I do not get any reasonable response before 5pm today I will return the game and never darken Sega or SI's door again. As for Steam and Uniloc well lets just a restraining order would not be required.

I have check the install log and everything said successful. On clicking on the short cut i get a "fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. we have created a error report bah bah". But no error code

i have followed the .NET framework advise but this has not helped.

This also happened with the demo.

This was also my main problem (so far) so i downloaded the .net framework, DSK thing and the 9.0.1 patch, so 3 downloads in all and installed all before starting up from the FM09 logo in PROGRAME FILES and not Desktop shortcut.

This started my game like normal and everything running smoothly so far....probably just jinxed myself now though.

Hi, regarding the no connection problem, have tried using the activate vbs download and all i get after entering my (checked correct) code is a windows script host error ,

Error: system cannot find file specified

Code : 80070002

Source: (null)

so er in plain english please, whats next?

ps have installed patch, already done the certificate removal/reboot thing etc. am using uniloc not steam that was a nightmare!!!

just spotted msg 1366, looks like my prob too, if so , who is support and whats the number, fingers crossed its a free one!

thanks

further to my earlier prob, i tried to run the game again, popped the code into the vbs thing and now im with all you guys on error -10. any sort of progress would be good as it seems this is only the beginning of many problems to come. extremely disappointing indeed.

I wish that worked mate but it still doesn't run the DVD. Thanks anyway bud. Any other ideas?

Yep, this happened 2 or 3 times with me before i got it to work, was at this point i got it to read the cd by right clicking the drive and exploring it, this after trying to start the bloody thing after installing updates.

However it read the CD itself after i installed all of the updates (DSK/ Direct X/ Patch) and uninstalled the game and Steam.

I rebooted the Comp and inserted the CD that seemed to get it to read the CD in the Drive again (as if new)without having to explore the drive. I then installed it through Uniloc (what is steam even for, just a waste of time) and installed the Patch.

I hope this can clear up ur prob, if i havnt explained it properly drop another msg, in at work so typing while i think out loud!

every time i try to start data editor it replies "this application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem"... please help.... i 've tried everything...

I think further back in the posts that 1 of the SI or Sega guys said they knew there was a problem with Data Editor and just to make do without it at the moment until they can clear it up in a new patch.

Have you tried installing the current 9.0.1 patch before you start the game? Not sure, im only working from memory of trawling through all theses posts at the weekend.

You know what, stuff this, its so below acceptable standards its a joke, yes everyones working like hell to sort it but as someone pointed out earlier, a degree in IT and 72hrs of free time shouldnt be necessary for playing a damn game. will return mine and buy it for a tenner in 6 months when all this rubbish is (hopefully) sorted out. like many i've been playing these games for many many years but this is ridiculous. Now thats off my chest, good luck and enjoy when you get there. :(

This is not as technical as all the other questions and hopefully has a simple answer...

Nothing happens when I put the game in my laptop, FM2008 and other CDs work but nothing happens when I insert FM2009. I go into the 'D' drive but nothing appears, it doesn't think anything's there.

Bought the game from Game this morning, can anybody help?

Well I bought the game and tried to play it but got the error "Fm2009 could not run as facegen was unable to initialize". I then downloaded the patch and it said something about the graphics. Well I then tried to download Directx SDR but when I tried to download it on my computer through my USB (as I don't have the internet at home) it wouldn't load onto it as it looked like it was something to do with the Framework 2.0. Now when I try to open the game up nothing happens and I get no warning. I have tried uninstalling the game and patch and reinstalling but the same happens and nothing happens. Please help!!

Nobody around to help??

can anyone help. i have downloaded the patch, updated my drivers, tried installing, reinstalling, but when i go into the match mode my computer screen goes black and then my computer resets.

It has worked on 1 occasion when FM2009 windowed itself without being asked but the pitch was black. And when i clicked to full screen the computer crashed. I have not been able to get into windowed mode again it just keeps on crashing. when it crashes a blue background comes up on the screen saying something along the lines of "driver reset failed after timeout" that isnt the exact words but the screen only displays that for about a second so its hard to read!

HELP!!!! i have been trying to play since friday!

This is not as technical as all the other questions and hopefully has a simple answer...

Nothing happens when I put the game in my laptop, FM2008 and other CDs work but nothing happens when I insert FM2009. I go into the 'D' drive but nothing appears, it doesn't think anything's there.

FM2009 is on a DVD. Are you sure you have a DVD drive?

where are my files to unistall the game? i uninstalled Steam first and now i can't uninstall FM09 as there is no file to remove on the add/remove programs list...i tried doing it by deleting all of the files regarding FM09 but this isn't unistalling it's just got rid of the files

since Friday i've had problems and no it's not my laptop that's the problem i just want to uninstall to try through Uniloc instead of Steam, any help on where to locate the files and then uninstall would be greatly appreciated.....i'm on Vista

I got the same problem, I can't even finish one month.

The game keeps crashing after I've played a little while.........

Can anyone help?

Hi,

I've played through my first season without any problems but now the game crashes about a minute after I load my saved game. I get the following message:

"A serious error was encountered and the application will close. An error file has been generated in:

C:/users/user_name/documents/sports interactive/football manager 2009/crash dumps"

Then the program closes.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the game, then tried to load the saved game again and the same thing happens.

Is there a solution to this problem? I'm using Vista by the way.

Thanks,

Kev

I have this problem, please have news? :(

Bollox, no I don't. Looks like I'm playing 2008 for a while.

Cheers.

I guess you could still buy it on STEAM, though. But you'd have to pay for it again...

But if your PC's old enough not to have DVD, then maybe the 3D engine won't work anyway. Did you try the demo?

Nobody around to help??

Would like to help you out, but I dont fancy your name!

Haha, there is a Framework downlownd also if you look near the start, try that.

BTW did McGeedy play yesterday cos he was out in the Merchant City till pretty late Saturday night, hopefully the late nights will catch up with him soon! :)

im playing football manager on a macbook about a year old, i dont know what kind of graphics card i have but ive played games with more sophisticated graphics than football manager i think, whenever i try to watch a match in 3d my whole computer freezes and i have to turn off by holding down the off button, is this something the patch is going to fix? when is the mac patch coming out? everything is running perfectly except the 3d matches any help would be appreciated

can anyone help. i have downloaded the patch, updated my drivers, tried installing, reinstalling, but when i go into the match mode my computer screen goes black and then my computer resets.

It has worked on 1 occasion when FM2009 windowed itself without being asked but the pitch was black. And when i clicked to full screen the computer crashed. I have not been able to get into windowed mode again it just keeps on crashing. when it crashes a blue background comes up on the screen saying something along the lines of "driver reset failed after timeout" that isnt the exact words but the screen only displays that for about a second so its hard to read!

Need your help please. Brought the game on Friday in great anticipation only to find out I couldnt activate using the phone. As the lines were overloaded.

So having to use the phone lines as no internet on my laptop. Phoned Saturday - got through, completed all the required codes, no problem. The female voice goes congratulations your product is now registered. The screen informs me I am all registered. Click finish, then excitingly I click on the logo to find out I have to do the registering part again. I did this a further two times and had no joy. I then proceeded to check my code and found that an o should have been a 0. So I phone up again - everything good until I get to step 7 where upon putting all the required digits in it doesnt activate the step 8 part, phone gives me the usual registration complete and hangs up but know way of moving onto step8 and finalising it on screen. As a result I click back and have another go convinced it was just a minor error on it. I enter the first set of digits on the next go only to be told that is an incorrect code.

I am extremely confused and have no idea what to do or where to go next. Help much appreciated.

im playing football manager on a macbook about a year old, i dont know what kind of graphics card i have but ive played games with more sophisticated graphics than football manager i think, whenever i try to watch a match in 3d my whole computer freezes and i have to turn off by holding down the off button, is this something the patch is going to fix? when is the mac patch coming out? everything is running perfectly except the 3d matches any help would be appreciated

You can check your graphics card if you go to the Apple menu -> About this computer -> click More info -> Graphics (or something like that, I don't have my Mac in front of me, and it's all in Norwegian there anyway). You probably have the GMA 950 or the X3100. I have the latter and it's running fine with me, though I also have 4 Gb RAM.

I guess you could still buy it on STEAM, though. But you'd have to pay for it again...

But if your PC's old enough not to have DVD, then maybe the 3D engine won't work anyway. Did you try the demo?

No I didn't use the demo this time around, wanted to be surprised when I got it and I was!!

I can't run a lot of games as my graphics card is very old, guessing this game will have to wait until I get a new laptop. :(

If I am right you can enter your License key into Steam and download the game again from there without having to pay for it again. This was mention somewhere but Im not sure on which of the posts!

"Currently Browsing for a new laptop to play Fm2009 in 3D or at all at moment :-("

You can check your graphics card if you go to the Apple menu -> About this computer -> click More info -> Graphics (or something like that, I don't have my Mac in front of me, and it's all in Norwegian there anyway). You probably have the GMA 950 or the X3100. I have the latter and it's running fine with me, though I also have 4 Gb RAM.

thankyou, I have the GMA 950, is this not good enough do you reckon?

thankyou, I have the GMA 950, is this not good enough do you reckon?

I think I read somewhere (maybe in the printed manual?) that the GMA 950 will not run the 3D match engine. Mabye that'll be fixed in the patch, but I really have no idea. In the meantime, try turning the 3D view off in the game preferences, and you should get the good old 2D engine, just like in FM08.

I think I read somewhere (maybe in the printed manual?) that the GMA 950 will not run the 3D match engine. Mabye that'll be fixed in the patch, but I really have no idea. In the meantime, try turning the 3D view off in the game preferences, and you should get the good old 2D engine, just like in FM08.

yeah thanks just looked in the manual and found that out, ive been playing with the 2d graphics but obviously im intrigued by 3d football manager, thanks for your help

also, anyone know when the patch for mac is coming out?

If I am right you can enter your License key into Steam and download the game again from there without having to pay for it again. This was mention somewhere but Im not sure on which of the posts!

"Currently Browsing for a new laptop to play Fm2009 in 3D or at all at moment :-("

:D

Cheers, I'll look into it on Steam (whatever that is?) before I return the game.

We were unable to process your unlock request. To recieve a new key, please visit www.sigames.com. Error : [-821]

Anyone else getting any luck with this problem yet?

You are receiving an Error [-821]

Scenario: Install and activate with activation code on Steam and it works then launch the game, SoftAnchor asking to re-enter activation code.

Fix: You need to delete the certificates and re-activate the game

1) On receiving the error, please uninstall the game

2) Please navigate to the following directory:

XP users: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

Vista users: C:\Program Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

3) Please ensure that it is the \certificate directory you are located in

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

6) Re-run the installation programme and retry activation - ensuring you have 'verified' your key using the following website: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

7) You should now be activated

i've been trying to authenticate my game now for over 3 hours, i've tried everything is says at the start of this thread and it still gives me error -1003. i've tried calling the customer sercive and they didn't pick up can some one help me please??

Archived