Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Normally I'm a patient man. Normally all my post are civil and polite. But this game is changing me. I purchases it on Thursay night via Steam, and have still not been able to play it.

I have asked for help to my problem, as have many other people with my same problem, in many places, including the Sega ticket post and these forums.

To start off, the Sega help is just non existant. It seems like their logic is if you ignore them, they might go away.

It seems the same attitude in these SI forums. numerous forums I have looked at have a number of problems- all of these problems are addressed by those at SI, except the one that I and a lot of people are experiencing. not even a "Sorry, can't help you now, but we'll look into it". I am sick of it. I realise you are busy sorting many other problems, but it shouldn't have got to this stage.

OK, rant over. For anyone actually interested, here is my problem:

I click to start the game and the activation window pops up. I paste my code in there in lower case and click next. It goes through all the motions and then says something like 'the game has been activated'. You might think all good so far, but I click Ok, the window closes, then I click fm.exe to start the game. But the activation window comes up again and this happens every time. I still have not been able to get into the game.

It seems that it is able to activate, but it is not sucessfully telling the game that it has been activated. Hope someone can actually help.

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but here goes...

When I want to play the game I open Steam > My Games > Football Manager 2009.

Does this mean that I wont ever need to install patches? Will they be done automatically?

I am on the verge of raging with this activation. EVERY TIME IT HAS NOT WORKED, I've tried the vbs, I keep getting error 10. And softachor never works.

Why is this happening for me, my brother gets it working on his laptop, but when I try, it NEVER WORKS

After i upload the game i regestered it and then aclicked on it to play but it it said the graphics system did not load. so i uninstaleed it then reinstalled it still the same thing is there anything i can do?

if it is the same problem as mine, you need a d3dref9.dll file, which is part of the massive 432mb download they advise you to get on the FAQ page, but it is actually only this one file you need. if you can find it, copy it in to your FM09 folder, and that should work, providing you also have the 9.01 patch.

i spent 10 hours trying to get it to work and am now up and running, albeit its quite slow.

let me know if this works

Liam

Still having problems.

I played the game last night worked fine, but it haasnt created a shortcut or anyway for me to get in to the game again, I ask it to run but it doesnt tell me anything, I cant eject and put in the CD again, it just wont run! (Installed using Uniloc, because when I try to use steam it comes up with the 'cant load library' problem)

PLEASE HELP!!!

Cheers :)

if it is the same problem as mine, you need a d3dref9.dll file, which is part of the massive 432mb download they advise you to get on the FAQ page, but it is actually only this one file you need. if you can find it, copy it in to your FM09 folder, and that should work, providing you also have the 9.01 patch.

i spent 10 hours trying to get it to work and am now up and running, albeit its quite slow.

let me know if this works

Liam

do u have a link to tha please?

hiya i have sucessfully activated my game (put the letters in Caps by the way) and then i have downloaded the graphics thing and started the game but as it is going in it flickers in the middle of the scree and i have a wierd thing in bottom right hand corner with a big letter L above it any ideas how i get around this??

does anyone know if these specs will run the game:

INTEL® Core 2 Duo T5800 (2 X 2.00GHz) 800MHz FSB/2MB L2 Cache

2GB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x1GB)

Windows Vista™ Home Premium

250GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)

8x DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

512MB GEFORCE 9600GT + HDMI + D-SUB

Thanks

hiya i have sucessfully activated my game (put the letters in Caps by the way) and then i have downloaded the graphics thing and started the game but as it is going in it flickers in the middle of the scree and i have a wierd thing in bottom right hand corner with a big letter L above it any ideas how i get around this??

I have been asking that question since 10am today and im no futher forward on it.

hello

i have been trying to install/play football manager 2009 for 9 hours no lol - its just not working i have come across many problems but then overcome them. i have registered/activated my game.

i then go a red error message when launching the icon on my desktop but i then installed the new windows framework 2.0.

Now when i launch the icon on my desktop i think its called fm.exe is comes up with an error report - " the programs needs to close, do i want to send an error report"

please can anybody help me on how to finally play the game and overcome this problem!!!

your help would be much appriciated

cheers guys

Game works fine, would love to play it for more than a 60 minute match.

Everything loads up ok and then I start playing a match.

The match functions until I try to make a substitution during the game. As soon as I click into the tactics screen, the game freezes for around 20 seconds and then just crashes.

Can someone help/fix this?

how did u get the graphics system 2 work i tried to downlaod it but the page wouldn't show

could u give me the link please and how long did it take u

reply pls

OK, I haven't tried in here before so I'll give it a go. I haven't read through the whole 11 pages, so forgive me if I have missed something. I want to solve:

1. The flickering cursor

2. The black screen I get when I load the game. I have managed to get the game installed via Steam. this involved getting the Microsoft patch, and the SI patch, and updating my videocard driver. However I cannot see the screen when I launch the game. Some parts of the screen will appear if I hold the cursor over them, but not others.

Someone from SI suggested deleting the cache, but I am not sure if that means the whole SI folder in the Application Data folder, or going into that SI folder and only deleting elements. There are other folders within the SI one - FM07, FM08, the 09 Certificate and Installer Launcher. I don't want to wreck things by taking them all out in case some are needed. The certificate, for instance.

3. The CD doesn't play in my DVD drive. I tried uninstalling Steam and installing via the other route, but that was even worse.

What are the answers please?

A reminder as there has been no response.

Marc,

Ive got the DVD version of the game, when installing it asks me where i want to save to, then comes up with the error message "Insert New Media, Incorrect media volume,

Please insert FM2009 or browse to locate it manually" The DVD is still in the drive and ive tried manually browsing to the cd drive with no success. Dud DVD?

ANy update on this? i now know of 2 people who have brought the game back becuase they couldnt get it to install. Neither have any intention of buying Football Manager again. I'm seriously starting to doubt whether i'm going to buy this game now, it seems so error strewn you wonder how it managed to be released

Ok, I am officially out of patience with trying to make this work.

I know all of you at SI are busy, and stressed, and tired, and you probably not even at work now as its a Sunday night, and you're probably all enjoying a lovely roast dinner with your families right now, so I probably wont get an answer.

But there are thousands of us who have paid money for a game that wont work. We're all equally as stressed, cos we really want to play your game. At least you're getting a wage for this!

Anyway, I've spent two days trying to make your game work. I thought that was your job to be honest. I thought that all I had to do was spend £27.99, put the CD in, and voila the game works... How wrong I was.

My most recent stumbling block is a message saying "cannot run game: failed to set up graphics system".

There was a glimmer of hope when Miles Jacobson put up a sticky thread explaining how to fix this.

So I follow his advice. I've just downloaded the patch from RapidShare. But now, when I click the "update" button it says that there's an error in block 105, whatever that means.

So unless I get a straight answer on how to fix this, and if i'm not playing FM within the next 2 hours, I am going straight to Game tomorrow morning and getting my £27.99 back.

how ddi u get the graphics system 2 work i tryed to downlaod it but it wouldn't

could u give me the link please and how long did it take u

reply pls

I downloaded the mircosoft thing on the FQA thread, but now im getting the loading dial on the black screen, and no one on here is able to help !!!!!!

Found explorer

Process Opened

Process Token Opened

SI Activator: Got -activate with: ---------------------------

SI Activator: Activating license: -------------------------

SI Activator: Activation succeeded

Yet when i go to open the game softanchor still comes up asking for my cdkey...

any news on these specs:

INTEL® Core 2 Duo T5800 (2 X 2.00GHz) 800MHz FSB/2MB L2 Cache

2GB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x1GB)

Windows Vista™ Home Premium

250GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)

8x DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

512MB GEFORCE 9600GT + HDMI + D-SUB

Thanks

how long did it take u 2 download

because i ave no patience left

worst fm yet

it took me 1hr for the mircosoft thing and the patch is not working with anyone.

Im writing a letter to watchdog over this !!!!

£30 refund now sega and SI . This is shocking all day today and yesterday trying to get the game to work. I feel sorry for kids on xmas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lads i got the game running, i dont really know how,but i did.

it seems pretty slow but that mite just be my laptop.

anyway, i get to pick my team, do the first press conference and then after continuing afew days, the game freezes! stay like that for 10-20 mins and then just goes to my desktop. with no explanation. its so dissapointing. also wen i install i cant find it anywhere on my computer.

PLEASE HELP!!

Still cant play !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When launching the game you receive the following Error: “FM.exe application error. The application has failed to initialize correctly (0xC0150002). Click on OK to stop the application.”

Fix: This can be resolved by updating the Microsoft Dot.Net framework, please visit the following URL to download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

when i download the application and try to open it it dispalys

(dotnetfx2.exe is not a valid win32 application)

any ideas any one ???

hi im having a problem loading up fm 09 along with every1 else., ive installed it, and when i click the icon i get a message fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close we are sorry for the inconvenience. if you were in the middle of something , information might be lost.............. debug........................send error report...............dont send. ??????????? if anyone can help i would much appriciate it. Thanks

If you go to the folder on your machine where the "fm.exe" lives, is that dll present there?

Typically this is in either:

C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

If you bought through Steam:

C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/

I've searched the FM2009 folder and that Dll file is not there, can I download it from some where ?

Still cant play !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When launching the game you receive the following Error: “FM.exe application error. The application has failed to initialize correctly (0xC0150002). Click on OK to stop the application.”

Fix: This can be resolved by updating the Microsoft Dot.Net framework, please visit the following URL to download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

when i download the application and try to open it it dispalys

(dotnetfx2.exe is not a valid win32 application)

any ideas any one ???

You have a corrupted download... Please redownload.

hi im having a problem loading up fm 09 along with every1 else., ive installed it, and when i click the icon i get a message fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close we are sorry for the inconvenience. if you were in the middle of something , information might be lost.............. debug........................send error report...............dont send. ??????????? if anyone can help i would much appriciate it. Thanks

Please read Page 1 of this thread - ALL of the answers are in there

My screen just goes pink when the game starts

has there been a answer to this or if not could you tell me why

Hi Simon,

I would hazard a guess at your graphics card driver - since they control the colours. Please check your manufacturers website for updated drivers.

Archived