Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there,

I've been dealin with Neil who has so far been very helpful in dealing with some of the error messages,the latest of which was a .dll file i needed to fix the 'failed to set up graphics system' error message. i've got that and the error message is gone.

HOWEVER, when i try to launch the game (via steam), nothing happens yet the fm.exe appears in the 'processes' tab of task manger, but not in the applications section.

any ideas how to overcome this one?

To give you a brief history, i've got the 9.01 patch, i've tried to download a couple of the windows downloads suggested, i've copied across a couple of .dll files across from my demo file to the full version folder.

Thanks very much

Liam

I've tried doing my activation key on that website and everyone I've tried just keeps saying invalid key, I must've tried about 20+ combo's. I've took a picture on my phone the best way I can and can email it somebody if need be?

Can't help but thinking that this will cost SI more in the long run than whatever piracy would've.

BEDNAR did you check your key against the SERVICE listed on Page 1 of this thread? http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

Remember to enter the key in UPPERCASE

Can somebody help me please. My activation key is the right one, but when i try and do it online it says unable to connect to internet and when I do it on the phone it says when i get to the third set of activation keys that my activation code is wrong but it isnt because I have checked on the site. What do I do?

You are not entering the KEY in UPPERCASE - this will solve the problem

Ok my sob story.

Bought via Steam. Downloaded and patched.

Opened and ran game first time and it crashed when going to first match.

Restarted and crashed at same point again.

Now it won't even start ("Football Manager 2009 has stopped working").

I have updated my graphics drivers (Geforce 9300 256mb), Directx and dotNet. Still no joy.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Very vague error I know.

I'm running Vista with 4gb RAM and dual procesors@1.7Ghz.

Thank you

Colin

Can you try and run the game in Windowed Mode? This should help you with the problem for now while we continue to investigate.

Has any progress been made on Error -821 since last night?

I installed my copy on Vista through steam and have no certificate files anywhere to delete.

Is there someone working on this problem just now or should I just take the game back? Would a different copy work any better? I can see how hard you guys are working to fix these problems but jus wanna know whether to return game or wait problem out?

Cheers

Did you try the fix recommended on PAGE 1 of this thread?

and no one seems to want to help, I have asked the same question 3 times in the last 24 hours, and not had a single response.

Why can't I install the patch?

Why does my pc not know how to open the file?

Ok - your game is holding on to the EXE - please reboot the machine, then apply the patch. Please do not launch any other processes during this time.

Hi Blades,

If you have nothing constructive to add, please do not add 'anything' - all of the issues are now FULLY resolvable.

So either use them or do not post any further - you are NOT helping the situation.

Please consider this a warning, we are working hard to help customers who want to be helped.

Regards,

Murray

all i want to do is play football manager i like have for the past several years, my problem has not been solved.....please help

i have this problem (The installation of Football Manager 2009 is finished, but some errors occurred during the install. Please see the installation log for details)

what do i do

sorry monkey, i am no further since i put the disc in my machine

Can you post these errors please and advise where you purchased the game? Please see Page 1 of this thread - it details how to do this.

so has nobody managed to patch the game then?

Yes, there are over 210,000 people playing the game PATCHED to the latest version - what we are seeing are 'isolated' incidents.

As you can imagine the permutations of PC configurations and User abilities is vast, there is always a situation where people experience a problem, this is what we are here for - to manage and resolve these problems.

Did you try the fix recommended on PAGE 1 of this thread?

Yea tried that fix, cant find certificates file or even program data folder to start with. Also tried using task manager to close the running fm.exe but keep getting same errors 821 or 819.

Can you post these errors please and advise where you purchased the game? Please see Page 1 of this thread - it details how to do this.

Installation: Successfulwith errors.

1586 Successes

0 Warnings

1 NonFatalErrors

0 FatalErrors

i bought it from asda in sheffield

cheers murry

to be honest, I know its not tech guys faults, but whoever decide to release this game with so many issues should ensure there are people on hand 24/7 to deal with the reprucussions.

one of my mates text me last night and said "f*ck this im going buy Championship Manager"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

We are here dealing with the issues - I've been working almost 24x7 since Thursday AM.

Do you have an outstanding issue that we have not addressed? If so, can you please detail and it will be rectified today.

Yea tried that fix, cant find certificates file or even program data folder to start with. Also tried using task manager to close the running fm.exe but keep getting same errors 821 or 819.

Ok - we have a fix for you very imminently - I can talk you through one now if you're willing to be a guinea pig? PM me... (it won't break your machine or game - trust me :eek:)

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to cover the XML Parsing Error myself and others are getting.

For background I have been unable to launch the game since activation (phone activation). Whenever I try I get a series of XML Parsing error! dialogue boxes followed by the blue screen crash that begins "A problem has been detected and windows has been closed down to prevent damage to your computer." There is a screen full of text but it disappears that quickly to reboot the PC that I have been unable to note it all down.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times. Same problem.

I have deleted the "Football Manager 2009" sub-folders in /username/AppData/Roaming/Sports Interactive.

I have looked in (after searching Regedit) HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Sports Interactive and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folders and there are no FM09 related sub-folders.

Also, if I go Start/Programs there is no FM09 option. I am attempting to launch via C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/fm.exe

I am using Vista.

I have reinstalled using both Express and Advanced options but without success.

Finally, the laptop I want to install FM09 onto is not Internet enabled so downloadable patches will not help unless I can somehow download them on another PC and transfer them to the laptop using a memory stick. The PC I'm using now is the one I use for email and Internet but it does not have the specs to run FM09.

Please help.

Stuart Hughes

no clue if i overlooked an answer

my computer still wont see the install dvd. i mounted it from another computers dvd drive and installed it over the network but would be nice if i could actually see the dvd on my own computer. Yes i have a DVD drive and NO i haven't had any problems with other dvd's. Running vista and its a NEC DL dvd burner.

Can you PM me please with your email address?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

I've been dealin with Neil who has so far been very helpful in dealing with some of the error messages,the latest of which was a .dll file i needed to fix the 'failed to set up graphics system' error message. i've got that and the error message is gone.

HOWEVER, when i try to launch the game (via steam), nothing happens yet the fm.exe appears in the 'processes' tab of task manger, but not in the applications section.

any ideas how to overcome this one?

To give you a brief history, i've got the 9.01 patch, i've tried to download a couple of the windows downloads suggested, i've copied across a couple of .dll files across from my demo file to the full version folder.

Thanks very much

Liam

Hi,

excuse me for the bad english

I'd buy the game two day ago, 14 Nov in the early morning. I try to install it in my office, on a old pc. Fm don't start, but I try ti disinstall e reinstall it another 2/3 times beacuse I update the vga driver and directx.

When I came back home, I immediately try install it. I receveid the "Cannot run game:Failed to set up graphics system". I see here that I must download sdk to fix the problem. Then I disinstall e reinstall game, I install SDK and I reinstall game, but now I receveid this message :

"Errore : [-1004] - Unlock the code exceeds the limit of peripherals"

Can you help me?

hy all.i have a big problem.i'm a fan of this game but i can't install it.could u help me???when i want to install an error appears.something with java application.what can i do???

You really need to provide the actual error message as that will make it easier for us to try and help you.

The first port of call with Java issues is to update Java on your machine. You can download and install the latest version here:

http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

I have managed to install the game fine but when i click on it to play a message comes up saying sa.AuditMD.dll was not found. I re-installed the game like it said, and nothing happened, the same message came up. What do i do?! If another file is needed, can someone tell me how to get this file and how to make it work with the game haha, im rubbish with installing things. Thanks a lot!

I have managed to install the game fine but when i click on it to play a message comes up saying sa.AuditMD.dll was not found. I re-installed the game like it said, and nothing happened, the same message came up. What do i do?! If another file is needed, can someone tell me how to get this file and how to make it work with the game haha, im rubbish with installing things. Thanks a lot!

If you look in the Known Issues thread (first page of this thread) you'll find a link to this at the bottom.

hy all.i have a big problem.i'm a fan of this game but i can't install it.could u help me???when i want to install an error appears.something with java application.what can i do???

Please update your JAVA there is a thread in Technical Support dedicated to this - the installer uses some JAVA, you need to update in order to use.

Ok - your game is holding on to the EXE - please reboot the machine, then apply the patch. Please do not launch any other processes during this time.

I rebooted, closed as many processes as i could, then ran the patch

still got the same error whilst trying to patch

any other ideas??

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to cover the XML Parsing Error myself and others are getting.

For background I have been unable to launch the game since activation (phone activation). Whenever I try I get a series of XML Parsing error! dialogue boxes followed by the blue screen crash that begins "A problem has been detected and windows has been closed down to prevent damage to your computer." There is a screen full of text but it disappears that quickly to reboot the PC that I have been unable to note it all down.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times. Same problem.

I have deleted the "Football Manager 2009" sub-folders in /username/AppData/Roaming/Sports Interactive.

I have looked in (after searching Regedit) HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Sports Interactive and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folders and there are no FM09 related sub-folders.

Also, if I go Start/Programs there is no FM09 option. I am attempting to launch via C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/fm.exe

I am using Vista.

I have reinstalled using both Express and Advanced options but without success.

Finally, the laptop I want to install FM09 onto is not Internet enabled so downloadable patches will not help unless I can somehow download them on another PC and transfer them to the laptop using a memory stick. The PC I'm using now is the one I use for email and Internet but it does not have the specs to run FM09.

Please help.

Stuart Hughes

For the XML parsing error:

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

• Right-click on the FM shortcut.
  • Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
  • In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences
  • Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

• SI Staff
i get this can anyone help please (The installation of Football Manager 2009 is finished, but some errors occurred during the install. Please see the installation log for details)

There should be a log in the folder you installed the game to ("Football_Manager_2009_InstallLog.log"), can you message this file to me?

I rebooted, closed as many processes as i could, then ran the patch

still got the same error whilst trying to patch

any other ideas??

Ok, where did you purchase the game? Steam or Retail - did you install via Steam or Uniloc - you may be trying to Patch an already patched game?

There should be a log in the folder you installed the game to ("Football_Manager_2009_InstallLog.log"), can you message this file to me?

k.i know that my english is very bad and u didn't understand me.i couldn't install the game because this problem didn't let me.now u understand???

Hi,

excuse me for the bad english

I'd buy the game two day ago, 14 Nov in the early morning. I try to install it in my office, on a old pc. Fm don't start, but I try ti disinstall e reinstall it another 2/3 times beacuse I update the vga driver and directx.

When I came back home, I immediately try install it. I receveid the "Cannot run game:Failed to set up graphics system". I see here that I must download sdk to fix the problem. Then I disinstall e reinstall game, I install SDK and I reinstall game, but now I receveid this message :

"Errore : [-1004] - Unlock the code exceeds the limit of peripherals"

Can you help me?

Hi Uninstall the game, selecting 'deactivate' licence and reinstall and reactivate.

You have broken your activation - removing and re-adding will be fine

will work fine.

Murray - I have been told that you are the man that can hopefully solve my problem. I posted a few pages back, but not sure if you have had time to read through all the pages!!!

I have a mac. I have installed the game and I can go into it but when I get to the main menu I get a white screen and nothing else. I have not activated it as I honestly have no idea what I am doing on-line with Steam. I tried to validate the game via the phoneline but it asks for a 16 digit code but the only code that I have is the one on the manual which is more than 16 digits.

Can you please help and advise on what I should do to get round this problem.

Thanks in advance

In my game the English reserve teams do not play in any league/group..

is this an known issue? I know others having the same prob..

Ive tried to use the original Db and the newest patch also, still the same..also tried uninstalling..

please help!

Archived