Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Marc,

Firstly, thank you for replying, im genuinely impressed (altho i;d rather my game was working! haha).

I have tried not going the steam route but as i probably poorly explained before, when i go to launch it (at this point everything seems fine), it comes up with an error message that 'fm.exe has encoutered a problem and must close' (im paraphrasing to be fair). i read the suggested FIX on here earlier but when i go to download the thing from the microsoft link you have posted before, it won't let me install it on my machine.

i am surprised that no one yet has said that nothing happens upon launch in steam tho.

'Fix: This can be resolved by updating the Microsoft Dot.Net framework, please visit the following URL to download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en'

that is the thing i tried but have failed to get working.

any other suggestions?

do you think its likely that the game will be re-released with all the info just packed onto a cd/dvd as in previous times?

Thanks again

Liam

Same problem as me. I try to launch through steam but it does exactly as yours does. I've downloaded that microsoft .NET thing and it still don't work! I'm not sleeping until i sort this out!!

I don't know if anyone brought this up before, but here goes.

The game flows real nice until I get to the matchstage of the game, so when it's preparing for the game it just freezes and I get a failmessage or something, it says that something si wrong and a log has beed created in Crash Dumps.

I am playing in windowed mode.

Something worth mentioning is that I have the exactly amount of RAM as the system requirements (512 Mb), is that a problem?

-----------------

I think i got everything there, I play it in swedish so i can't give you the exact failmessage, but i hope someone can help me to sort this out.... I wanna play :)

• SI Staff
HELLO still waiting for help the game still keeps freezing followed the advice no joy. Does anyone have an answer? Yes or No.

Scott - please start a seperate thread in the technical support area of the forum - they will ask you lots of questions in there about your hardware set up to try and get you up and running. Running in windowed mode certainly seems to have fixed it for most people so far, even those with well below minimum spec machines.

Earlier on I posted a similar issue - I've got it running in windowed mode and okay for two weeks game time no freezes - to get windowed mode

1 - right click FM2009 exe start up icon and then properties

2 - in the target field add a space and "-windowed -small_screen"

3 - click apply/ok

thanks to the guy on the PC/Mac discussion section who posted this

Cheers dude you rule that has worked. Just waiting for the next problem now lol.

Scott.

Scott - please start a seperate thread in the technical support area of the forum - they will ask you lots of questions in there about your hardware set up to try and get you up and running. Running in windowed mode certainly seems to have fixed it for most people so far, even those with well below minimum spec machines.

There are a couple of threads on this issue that no one is helping with, however i followed this advice:

Originally Posted by ipswichjon2

Earlier on I posted a similar issue - I've got it running in windowed mode and okay for two weeks game time no freezes - to get windowed mode

1 - right click FM2009 exe start up icon and then properties

2 - in the target field add a space and "-windowed -small_screen"

3 - click apply/ok

thanks to the guy on the PC/Mac discussion section who posted this

And had success, there was a windowed option from within the game which was where i was getting confused. Cheers though.

• SI Staff
Miles/Neil, I put in the code but it just says unable to connect to the internet. What do I do? cus im getting bored and impatient now, please help

As Marc said, we're still waiting for a response on that one. There are emails going backwards and forwards, but nothing to post yet.

• SI Staff
Same problem as me. I try to launch through steam but it does exactly as yours does. I've downloaded that microsoft .NET thing and it still don't work! I'm not sleeping until i sort this out!!

Did you also install net framework 2.0 Service Park 1?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Miles/Neil:

I have the following issues:

- I have installed it on my desktop without being asked for any code

- I can't install it on my laptop because Softanchor says that my code is already activated

- If I change the code to lower case, Softanchor tells me that activation was successful. But when I try to run the game, it once again asks me for the code

- I have tried phone activation, and it gave the same results as mentioned above; appears to work, but Softanchor keeps asking me for the code.

- I have tried all the solutions posted here

Marc told me to try the method where you reinstall and delete some folders. I've tried that (4 times) and it's still not working. Looks like seldald has the same problem.

I'm trying to get this activated via the phone. It is asking for a 16 digit activation code!

What is this? I guessed it was the code on the back of the FM2009 manual but that is more than 16 digits.

Any help?

please can somebody help me on this. I'm getting very close to taking the game back to the shop tomorrow.

now i am really confused, out of nowhere, a massive sports interactive sign just came on the screen and wah lah, the game came to light as if by magic??? work that one out??? but i am very cautious as i have heard this happening before and after exiting the game you have to go through the whole authentication process again. no doubt ill be back on this forum nearing suicide!!! wish me luck

please can somebody help me on this. I'm getting very close to taking the game back to the shop tomorrow.

When you phone it should be the 16 digit code showing on your screen, but don't hold your breath it throws you out after the 3rd set of 16 as it says you have the wrong key!! even though you have the correct one! This is just terrible.

I have tried following the above instructions but I keep getting the error message, cannot connect to the internet. i am connected obviously. I have re-installed the game many times now.

Tried to follow the instructions you have posted regarding the certificates but when i click on the link https://fm2009.sa01.softanchorinsight.com it takes me to the website, and does not give me the certificate error message.

again my keycode is somewhat difficult. I know 1, and I are getting mixed up, do we have issues with 2 and z i have tried many ways now.

Even after last install, after making doubly sure to tick the unicom box, internet or phone... I now have no phone activation box or option. I thinks someone is having a laugh here!

When you phone it should be the 16 digit code showing on your screen, but don't hold your breath it throws you out after the 3rd set of 16 as it says you have the wrong key!! even though you have the correct one! This is just terrible.

i dont get any code on my screen. When I go to load up a game (I have not activated it yet) I get a white screen.

Yeah, windowed mode seems to have done it.

Did you also install net framework 2.0 Service Park 1?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

When i try to install this after downloading, it says it cant install due to an earlier version i have on my computer. when i go to the help page, it says the version i have is actually a later version and thats why it can't be replaced.

i'm not the most technically minded person. in laymans terms, can you explain to me why upon launching via steam, literally nothing happens? it says 'in game' for about 2 seconds on my profile and then nothing. nothing boots up at all. is htere any manual fix for this becuase at this rate, i really cant see me getting fm working which is a total nightmare cos i love it. my girlfeind, however, is very happy i cant get it to work.

do you envisage there will be a patch released to make it work via steam?

I have RADEON 9250 as graphics card, this should be fine yes?

Liam

Miles/Neil:

I have the following issues:

- I have installed it on my desktop without being asked for any code

- I can't install it on my laptop because Softanchor says that my code is already activated

- If I change the code to lower case, Softanchor tells me that activation was successful. But when I try to run the game, it once again asks me for the code

- I have tried phone activation, and it gave the same results as mentioned above; appears to work, but Softanchor keeps asking me for the code.

- I have tried all the solutions posted here

Marc told me to try the method where you reinstall and delete some folders. I've tried that (4 times) and it's still not working. Looks like seldald has the same problem.

Yes, exactly the same problem as I do. Actually wasn't aware of this one: "- I can't install it on my laptop because Softanchor says that my code is already activated". But after checking this is also the same for me. Also tried reinstalling the game 2-3 handful of times now :-)..... Desperate for advice!

I have tried following the above instructions but I keep getting the error message, cannot connect to the internet. i am connected obviously. I have re-installed the game many times now.

Tried to follow the instructions you have posted regarding the certificates but when i click on the link https://fm2009.sa01.softanchorinsight.com it takes me to the website, and does not give me the certificate error message.

again my keycode is somewhat difficult. I know 1, and I are getting mixed up, do we have issues with 2 and z i have tried many ways now.

Even after last install, after making doubly sure to tick the unicom box, internet or phone... I now have no phone activation box or option. I thinks someone is having a laugh here!

We are in communication with Uniloc about this issue and they're currently investigating and working towards finding a solution to it. We don't have any further news to give at this stage, so please accept our apologies in the meantime while we wait for an update.

I only got the phone option after 3 re installs, but the phone line doesn't work anyway, it says you have the incorrect key even when you have verified your key through the 'check site'

When i try to install this after downloading, it says it cant install due to an earlier version i have on my computer. when i go to the help page, it says the version i have is actually a later version and thats why it can't be replaced.

i'm not the most technically minded person. in laymans terms, can you explain to me why upon launching via steam, literally nothing happens? it says 'in game' for about 2 seconds on my profile and then nothing. nothing boots up at all. is htere any manual fix for this becuase at this rate, i really cant see me getting fm working which is a total nightmare cos i love it. my girlfeind, however, is very happy i cant get it to work.

do you envisage there will be a patch released to make it work via steam?

I have RADEON 9250 as graphics card, this should be fine yes?

Liam

There is a potential workaround on the first page in the Known Issues thread:

I installed through Steam and cannot start the game or create a shortcut, or running without Steam being active

Fix: If installed via Steam, you can find the game executable (exe) at the following location:

C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Football Manager 2009

If you double click this the game will launch, you can also create a shortcut to this location on your desktop.

You may also want to reboot before you try the above and you may want to contact Steam support too:

You launch the game via Steam and nothing happens

Please raise a support ticket at the Valve website: https://support.steampowered.com/

When I write the cd-key for the second time, this time on a link from Soft Anchor, then say it already before I taste anything into that "Your trial period has expired! Please visit www.sigames.com"

When I entered my key into production and pressure next pops up as follows: "Sorry, but this instalation of Football Manger 2009 Certificate could not be activated for the following reasons: The program could not access the Internet. Veligst Check your connection. If you have need assistance, please visit

www.sigames.com "

I've already installed the game on my laptop and never had to use soft anchor so I don't know what to do now. I have already tried to uninstall it several times, without any effect!

Thank you in advance!

NEED HELP BIGTIME!

my saved games would not re-load so i uninstalled the game and tried to re-install. but when i put the disk back in, it doesnt load, infact nothing come up at all and i cant re-install fm.

i tried exploring the disk but it just came up with:

data error (cyclic redundancy check)

what can i do? at the moment iv just got a game that does NOTHING!

:mad:

There is a potential workaround on the first page in the Known Issues thread:

You may also want to reboot before you try the above and you may want to contact Steam support too:

Thanks for this. When i try this, i get the following error message:

'this application has failed to start because d3dx9_37.dll was not found'

anything else i can do?

really appreciate your swift answers here, hopefully i'll be up and running at some point!

Liam

this game is currently unavailable please try again a another time....

Any fix on this yet, trying to launch through steam but get the above message.....

Been asking for some help with this since 8am and been trying to play the game since 2pm yesterday.

Tried installing uni version but had graphics instllation problem....which of the two peoblems is easier to fix (I have already dowloaded patch and DXSDX to no avail).

Please Help

Hi

i have seen people post in here and other threads about the issue with the xml parsing error but with no resolution...

XML parsing error!

not well formed (invalid token) at line 1 of last_saved_game.xml

Can someone PLEASE help me with this???

Hi Rafael,

To solve this you can reset your preferences.

What operating system are you using?

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

- Right-click on the FM shortcut.

- Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.

- In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:

"fm.exe" --reset_preferences

- Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you tick the 'phone activation' box then next you will should see a 16 digit code, but like i said before it doesn't work anyway.

thanks for your help. I think I'm going to cut my losses and return this game. Can't be bothered with all this hassle to play it now.

Thanks for this. When i try this, i get the following error message:

'this application has failed to start because d3dx9_37.dll was not found'

anything else i can do?

really appreciate your swift answers here, hopefully i'll be up and running at some point!

Liam

Hi Liam,

You need to re-install your DirectX. You can find the link here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=886ACB56-C91A-4A8E-8BB8-9F20F1244A8E&displaylang=en

Archived