Known issues and solutions - FAQ

Posted this in the technical section but there seems to be more activity in here:

I see there are a couple of threads that sound similar but everything that has been recommended hasnt worked.

Ive tried full manual uninstall, cache, updated java and .net etc to no avail.

This is the error im getting on startup:

280110.png

It was working yesterday but all of a sudden not today.

Please help, im on the couch for 4 more weeks due to a knee recon - this game is keeping me partially sane!

I have tried reinstalling from the cd and also downloaded from steam but both had the same error

Any luck with this? I have the same :(

This includes deleting Registry files, cache, re-installing with/without Steam, running the patch 3, running the SDK and the .Net (which my laptop says I don't need!!)...

Please can someone help?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im using a mac and both the game and the new update have loaded fine but once i'm in the game, when i go to make an offer for a player and press confirm offer the box that pops up to say yes or cancel to confirm the offer has no option on it. Therefore i cannot make any offer for a player. This also happens on other screens where the yes/cancel option does not show and it means i get stuck on screens and cannot get out. Can anyone help?

• Administrators
Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: fm.exe

Application Version: 9.0.0.23544

Application Timestamp: 48ff2377

Fault Module Name: fm.exe

Fault Module Version: 9.0.0.23544

Fault Module Timestamp: 48ff2377

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00bfbf57

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

thats what happened to mine, any solutions??

Install the 9.3 patch which can be found here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=106355

• Administrators
Thanks for the help but as i stated in my earlier post i have a mac.

Thanks

Mac OSX

1. Open Finder.

2. Select <User>

3. Navigate to Library\Caches\Sports Interactive

4. Remove the “Football Manager XX” Folder.

• Administrators
My FM09 has started to minimize immediately on launch now, regardless of where I launch this from, and then cannot access it at all. Been working fine for over four months until now.

I have tried launching it through Steam, from a desktop short cut, from the program files etc etc

Anyone else with this problem and know how to solve it ?

Try getting it to run in windowed mode using the advice given in the following thread.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64783

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

• Administrators
HI,

I'm in need of help. Ive just bought the game, and i have been trying to install the game for the whole night, and i can never do it.

Ive tried installation as an administrator, and followed the instructions given in the FAQ. Yet, i receive a series of errors, -51, 1003, and 703.

Can somebody please help me?

I have deavtivated, reinstall, restarted the computer, over and over again, and nothing seems to work. I have even tried validating the correct keycode, with the website you have provide, and it doesnt seem to work as well.

Please advise!!!!

I would suggest using the advice given in this thread - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=65715

Let us know how you get on, thanks.

• Administrators
i keep getting error 1004 saying it has been activated on too many computers! I bought the game and am trying to install it on my own computer. I had previously installed it and it had run fine, but uninstalled it when steam caused my computer to run slow. I have just tried reinstalling and keep getting this error message.

Deactivate your keycode here - http://deactivation.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

You should then be able to enter it as normal on re-install. Let us know how you get on.

• Administrators
I'm trying to gwt some help.

i bought the game back in november and it installed through steam and was fine but recently got a new laptop (which is in windows vista) so tried to install it on the new one but steam faild to load saying 'error, win32 error 5' or something along them lines. i tried it through uniloc and it installs ok and is fine untill i start a game and then it freezes, i posted something a week ago and someone replied with a solution but didnt work, to be honest i'd prefer to install with steam as was quite impressed with this before. i'm looking forward to getting up and running as soon as possible so if someone could help me i'd be grateful.

Many Thanks

Try running the game in windowed mode, this can be done via the display and sound settings in the preferences.

Also make sure you are patched up to 9.3 - this will be done automatically in you can get Steam running, if you used a uniloc install the patch can be found via links in this thread - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=106355

• Administrators
Hello;

I wasn't able to update Mac version to 9.3 properly...so I decided to re-install the game. Uninstalled it but now I cant re-install.

When I try to launch the installer, I get "Unable to launch java application, missing lax.class property" error. I have no idea what causes this as the game was working/installing properly before.

Thanks.

Uninstall the game manually (remove all the Sports Interactive files - but BACKUP your save games before doing this!) and then try the reinstall. You may also need to re-install your Java which can be done via the following instructions:

How to Update your version of Java

1. Uninstall any version of Java you have first.

2. Visit this website: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

3. Find the correct version for your Operating system and download/install from here.

• Administrators
i have been trying to install fm 09 since the day it came out it seems to work for a while then crash dumps message comes up even though i delete the file crash dumps this is the message i get it is as follows:

A serious error was encountered and the application will close. An error file was generated in myname-pc/c:/users/myname/documents/sports interactive/football manager 2009/crash dumps

this is the message i get even though i delete the crash dumps does anyone know what is wrong

Install the 9.3 patch which can be found via links in this thread - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=106355

Let us know if this helps with your issue. Thanks.

• Administrators
have just downloaded the new patch 9.3.0 and now football manager starts but nothing happens just get a black screen.have tried reinstalling it to and still get black screen. when you click on football manager to start it starts to load the game but it just goes black and nothing happens and if you move the mouse it cuts off

Delete the cache folder by doing the following:

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders. Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Tools' the 'Folder Options'. The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

2. Navigate to : “Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\

3. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder.

4. Go to the “Football Manager 2009” Folder.

5. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

2. Click your username on the start Menu

3. Click on “AppData” and then “Roaming”

4. Go into the “Sports Interactive” Folder

5. Go to the “Football Manager 2009” Folder.

6. Delete the 'cache' Folder found inside here.

Then try after this. If this still fails you'll need to completely uninstall the game, re-install and re-patch. I'd suggest downloading the patch from a different source to previous and making sure it downloads properly - unless you are using Steam where it will patch up automatically.

Let me know how you get on. Thanks.

• Administrators
i have had my 2009 installed via steam since it came out it plays fine no problems i hadnt played it for sometime because ive been wrapped up with fm live iwent to play it yesterday and noticed that it was still running the original version it hadnt updated any of the patches and its telling me that the game is updated its sup

posed to do it automatically when i try and update from another source it takes me back to my steam page any thoughts please help getting a bit frustrated at the moment

When you go to your game status screen (within the game), what version does it say you are running?

• Administrators
Im using a mac and both the game and the new update have loaded fine but once i'm in the game, when i go to make an offer for a player and press confirm offer the box that pops up to say yes or cancel to confirm the offer has no option on it. Therefore i cannot make any offer for a player. This also happens on other screens where the yes/cancel option does not show and it means i get stuck on screens and cannot get out. Can anyone help?

Are you using a custom skin by chance? If you are try a default skin and see if that works.

If not, you'll have to re-load your skin in the preferences. If this still doesn't work it may be worth deleting your cache file:

First of all you need to turn on hidden files and folders. Go to My Computer and at the top select 'Tools' the 'Folder Options'. The go to the 'View' tab and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

• Administrators
Can someone help me please?? I have been playing the new update fine and went to play today and its now saying FM has encountered a problem and needs to close. It did this when the game was new but stopped a couple of months ago.

I have re installed it and deleted all the files but that hasnt worked.

Please help!...

I'd suggest installing the 9.3 patch if you haven't already, details how to can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum.

i notice that you are answer issues that people have posted after several of us has posted our problem of not being able to open game. Is this as you do not know how to resolve this issue yet or other reasons, i would be good to know if you have acknowledged this problem or not. cheers

• Administrators
i notice that you are answer issues that people have posted after several of us has posted our problem of not being able to open game. Is this as you do not know how to resolve this issue yet or other reasons, i would be good to know if you have acknowledged this problem or not. cheers

Delete the following folder then try - you may have to re-input your activation code when attempting to start up.

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

4. Delete this folder

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

5. Delete this folder

Delete the following folder then try - you may have to re-input your activation code when attempting to start up.

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

4. Delete this folder

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

5. Delete this folder

thanks but just tried it but still same problem. there is one file called intstaller launcher that can't be deleted as it cant be found, its says i need to varify its location. could thhis be the problem

• Administrators
thanks but just tried it but still same problem. there is one file called intstaller launcher that can't be deleted as it cant be found, its says i need to varify its location. could thhis be the problem

No you cannot delete that, that's okay. I would make sure all the other files in that folder are deleted, uninstall the game then re-install from scratch. Let me know how it goes.

tried this but it crashed again? any reason why i cant install it through steam? really wanna get this up and running asap so some help would be grateful

Try running the game in windowed mode, this can be done via the display and sound settings in the preferences.

Also make sure you are patched up to 9.3 - this will be done automatically in you can get Steam running, if you used a uniloc install the patch can be found via links in this thread - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=106355

No you cannot delete that, that's okay. I would make sure all the other files in that folder are deleted, uninstall the game then re-install from scratch. Let me know how it goes.

just did all of that,

just too make sure ill try and explain my problem in full,

i click on launch game in steam

get another page and click launch page

then i need to give permission to use it as an admin

it then goes to performing first time setup...

Installing: activator.exe (step 1 of 1)

then a window pops up

SI activator has stopped working....

a problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and will notify you if a solution is avaialble

it then closes and goes on to the page where to input the activation code but half way through this it fails aswell and has a similar message

is this anymore help? it just happened out of the blue after working near perfectly for months, i havent done anything differant from normal to cause this.

is any other users experancing this??

looking forward to resolving this issue.

Delete the cache folder by doing the following:

Windows XP:

1. Open “My Computer”

Wndows Vista:

1. Click “Start”

Then try after this. If this still fails you'll need to completely uninstall the game, re-install and re-patch. I'd suggest downloading the patch from a different source to previous and making sure it downloads properly - unless you are using Steam where it will patch up automatically.

dne all that already and no luck

On the FM09 box it says it is compatible with XP and Vista but i can't seem to get it to work on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

After the nightmare of getting it installed which i only managed to do by searching the forums, was something to do with it not being compatible with my operating system, i left the installer open with the error message there and had to open the install anywhere to get it sorted.

Can't rmember exactly what i did or the link from here i got it from, was a few days ago, but that was the installation anyway which is fine

The game now crashes straight after i double click the icon without any error message other than the standard 'Football Manager 2009 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.' send error report box.

Anyone any ideas as to what i can do to get it to work, i have tried to find an answer and am also not sure if i am even posting this in the correct place.

Sorry if the information i have given about my problem is a bit rubbish!

Any help would be great.

Thanks

just did all of that,

then a window pops up

a problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and will notify you if a solution is avaialble

it then closes and goes on to the page where to input the activation code but half way through this it fails aswell and has a similar message

is this anymore help? it just happened out of the blue after working near perfectly for months, i havent done anything differant from normal to cause this.

Yeah I have and its driving me mad to be honest! I have done all of the recommended stuff and I am now not using Steam any more...

I have kinda got round it by launching the windowed version but thats not ideal and has already started crashing, when i go to the preferences screen for example. I have been looking on the last few pages and haven't found an answer to this... so I think the best thing is to submit a ticket to Sega (not quite sure how you do this though!!)

• Administrators
On the FM09 box it says it is compatible with XP and Vista but i can't seem to get it to work on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

After the nightmare of getting it installed which i only managed to do by searching the forums, was something to do with it not being compatible with my operating system, i left the installer open with the error message there and had to open the install anywhere to get it sorted.

Can't rmember exactly what i did or the link from here i got it from, was a few days ago, but that was the installation anyway which is fine

The game now crashes straight after i double click the icon without any error message other than the standard 'Football Manager 2009 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.' send error report box.

Anyone any ideas as to what i can do to get it to work, i have tried to find an answer and am also not sure if i am even posting this in the correct place.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

If you are having trouble with Windows XP 64bit then you should change compatibility mode to ‘Windows XP’, do this by right-clicking on the game icon, clicking properties and changing the compatibility mode to ‘Windows XP’

• Administrators
dne all that already and no luck

Follow the same path as suggested above, but instead of just deleting the cache folder, try deleting the whole Football Manager 2009 folder which is found there. Let me know how you get on. Thanks.

Yeah I have and its driving me mad to be honest! I have done all of the recommended stuff and I am now not using Steam any more...

I have kinda got round it by launching the windowed version but thats not ideal and has already started crashing, when i go to the preferences screen for example. I have been looking on the last few pages and haven't found an answer to this... so I think the best thing is to submit a ticket to Sega (not quite sure how you do this though!!)

i cant even open the game to put it in windowed mode.

whats a ticket to sega?

• Administrators
just did all of that,

then a window pops up

I'm getting someone to investigate this here and we'll try and get a solution to this issue. Thanks for your patience and will report back when I hear something.

If you are having trouble with Windows XP 64bit then you should change compatibility mode to ‘Windows XP’, do this by right-clicking on the game icon, clicking properties and changing the compatibility mode to ‘Windows XP’

Tried that, still didnt work.

Thanks for the response though.

Ok, so when I try to activate it using Steam it comes up with Invalid Product Code. So I found out and went to http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ to see if it could work out whether I'm reading my code wrong and what it could be. It just tells me Invalid license key and doesn't give anything else.

Now I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that the key I've been given simply doesn't work (as I've gone over it hundreds of times, know the letters that are written, and it doesn't work).

• Administrators
Ok, so when I try to activate it using Steam it comes up with Invalid Product Code. So I found out and went to http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/ to see if it could work out whether I'm reading my code wrong and what it could be. It just tells me Invalid license key and doesn't give anything else.

Now I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that the key I've been given simply doesn't work (as I've gone over it hundreds of times, know the letters that are written, and it doesn't work).

Might be best to private message me with your code and I'll take a look. Let me know, thanks.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

I have done that but its making no difference, just crashes before it would load.

why o why did SI make the fatal mistake of programming in an activator. maybe its time they start to think of some ways to fix the problem. maybe they could send all users that are experiencing these problems and the many others with other faults a replacement copy with the activator stripped out. I've been buying FM and champ man series for as many years as i can remember and this game and the support from the "official website" (apparently) has put me off for life.

Thank you SI

OneHappyCustomer

How can I stop the following problem from occurring:

After an actual match that I play, computer registers completely different scoreline, for instance my team wins by 2-0, but after that match it says that I have actually lost that game 0-1.

I use Mac OS 10.5.6 and play the game with my friend over network, he is the server and runs on Vista.

It would be nice if you can address it in your subsequent updates...

I am getting "You cannot go on Holiday on match day" message

I have searched around and it looks like people with pirated copies get this

I have not pirated this and have the box in front of me.

I haven't played the game for a couple of months so yesterday I downloaded the new (9.3) Patch from the FM links (rapid share)

Now when I open FM it takes me an eSellerate site and tries to charge me $30, I hit the decline option obviously.

I load up the game as normal and it all looks fine until I want to go on holiday? What the hell?

I've tried activating (I have a mac so I didn't need to previously) but it is telling me my code is an incorrect length. I have looked over it a dozen times and counted the letters and numbers. It's 25 and it 100% correct yet it gives me this message.

What gives?

• Administrators

Did you download the correct patch? If you are running on a Mac you need the Mac specific patch which can be found via the following link - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=106355

Also are you running Football Manager or Worldwide Soccer Manager? Again you'd need the specific patch for your game. Let me know and we'll try and help out. Thanks.

Did you download the correct patch? If you are running on a Mac you need the Mac specific patch which can be found via the following link - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=106355

Also are you running Football Manager or Worldwide Soccer Manager? Again you'd need the specific patch for your game. Let me know and we'll try and help out. Thanks.

I'm running World Soccer Manger. I'm pretty sure I've d/l 9.3 patch, as before I start to join a network game game asks me if I want to use 9.3 version of a game.

When I join my friends game (he is a host) he is also running 9.3 version of a game (WSM) on a Vista, he updates his game using steam, so I'm pretty sure game versions that we are using is the latest and I would not have been able to join him had we had conflicting versions of a game.

Last time we played we got the same problem, but it is worse. Now it happened when we were playing a friendly match against each other on the same stadium and same time!!!! In short, until my friend made a substitution, game was OK (whatever I was seeing, my friend saw), but after his subs, we totally followed two completely different games!!! In my version of a game I won 1-0, but in his version I won by 3-1 scoreline. Even though different versions of a game was running simultaneously, all the subbs that we've made happened. Again, me and me friend were playing against each other, but actions on my screen didn't correspond to actions on his screen, with completely different scorelines and stats (except for substitutions). After that game, WSM crashed and we had to restart the game and cancel our friendly match to avoid this problem. On the game time line, we are on a year 2018. My team is Udinese and his is Lazio.

Please heelp.

• Administrators
Hey! ok so I go to start the game and I get Failed to setup Graphics system

what do I do!

any help would be much apreciated.

ERROR: Cannot run game:Failed to set up graphics system

Fix: Please download the following update from the Microsoft Direct X SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

When downloading this file please use the Firefox browser as some people have encounter difficulties when using Internet Explorer

You should also check that you are running the latest graphics driver, you can do this by visiting the computer manufacturer website, or by visiting the graphics card manufacturing website.

Also if you are running Steam, make sure this is not running when attempting to install

hey everyone,

When its come to the submit team selection page my team is in order. But when im in the match and on the my sides home stats page my team are out of order, apart from the keeper and strikers. Although they are all actually playing in there right postions, it is very annoying and ive put up with it since season two.

Anyone got any ideas how i can fix this please?

Zomg... Sorry in advanced...

I got the XML error thing. I came here saw the advice... I can find the icon... HOWEVER in properties I cannot find "target"...

Sorry for being soo noob. Forgive me. Thanks in advanced!!

Regards,

ReeNah

• Administrators
hey everyone,

When its come to the submit team selection page my team is in order. But when im in the match and on the my sides home stats page my team are out of order, apart from the keeper and strikers. Although they are all actually playing in there right postions, it is very annoying and ive put up with it since season two.

Anyone got any ideas how i can fix this please?

It's where you've edited the tactics and pulled players about. I would suggest making a note of your current player and team instructions, loading a formation similar to yours (say if you're playing 4-4-2 load 4-4-2 normal) and then you can make alterations with the players in the right order.

If you are moving players about, keep the attacking players attacking, don't pull a striker back to be a CB, else the order will change again.

• Administrators
Zomg... Sorry in advanced...

I got the XML error thing. I came here saw the advice... I can find the icon... HOWEVER in properties I cannot find "target"...

Sorry for being soo noob. Forgive me. Thanks in advanced!!

Regards,

ReeNah

After right clicking on the Icon and selecting 'Properties' it'll be in the box third down underneath 'Target Type' and 'Target Location'. Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Ok I downloaded the 9.3 patch and updated it. When I try to launch the game it says "Football Manager 2009 is already running" when the game hasn't been launched.

What have I done wrong here?

Thanks.

EDIT: It now says Facegen failed to initialise, etc. Could that be part of the problem? I have downloaded the patch and I use A laptop with Vista on it and I'm pretty sure I have the latest graphics drivers, etc.

Archived