Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community

Recommended Posts

I setup my own (main) tactic that I intended to use most home games or in away games when I had a decent chance of a win. It tends to do alright with controlling possession, limiting opponent chances  and generally controlling the game. However, I am 4 games into the season and have drawn 3 games and lost one (the game I lost they had 1 shot on target and scored from outside the area). I'm getting frustrated to the point i am considering just giving up on the game. No matter what tweaks I make its the exact same. I can't work out if it's the player roles or instructions. The assistant manager feedback and analysis i generally find completely useless as it gives no advice related to the actual tactics. It's just generic statements that have no pattern.

I have uploaded an image of my current tactic. Anyone care to give some feedback and advice on how I can optimize this? 

tactics.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I decided to try a few tweaks...... I added the instruction for my LWB to overlap, added work ball into the box, I changed my strikers roles to complete forward and pressing forward (both with attack duties) and i changed my mentality to positive, surely this would create more chances?

nope, pretty much went the same as every other game. Fairly even with me losing from 3 world class strikes. My strikers were still useless and I didn't create any more chances than usual and i am now 6 games in with only one win against Salford in the cup

match.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of useful threads about your chosen formation and even some specifically for Sheffield Utd.  Here's a couple of examples :thup::

And something written for FM17 but still very relevant:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, L_SUFC said:

I setup my own (main) tactic that I intended to use most home games or in away games when I had a decent chance of a win. It tends to do alright with controlling possession, limiting opponent chances  and generally controlling the game. However, I am 4 games into the season and have drawn 3 games and lost one (the game I lost they had 1 shot on target and scored from outside the area). I'm getting frustrated to the point i am considering just giving up on the game. No matter what tweaks I make its the exact same. I can't work out if it's the player roles or instructions. The assistant manager feedback and analysis i generally find completely useless as it gives no advice related to the actual tactics. It's just generic statements that have no pattern.

I have uploaded an image of my current tactic. Anyone care to give some feedback and advice on how I can optimize this? 

tactics.png

Do you know what exact style of play you want to implement as your primary playing style? And do you have players who are good enough to play that way?

Based on the screenshot of your tactic, it seems that you basically want to dominate possession, but without a clear idea as to how to utilize that possession for producing something more tangible.

Btw, what is your reasoning behind wider defensive width? Are your defenders not good enough in dealing with crosses, or what?

The same question for wide attacking width? What's the idea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Do you know what exact style of play you want to implement as your primary playing style? And do you have players who are good enough to play that way?

Based on the screenshot of your tactic, it seems that you basically want to dominate possession, but without a clear idea as to how to utilize that possession for producing something more tangible.

Btw, what is your reasoning behind wider defensive width? Are your defenders not good enough in dealing with crosses, or what?

The same question for wide attacking width? What's the idea?

I want to control possesion and play a short passing, patient game trying to create clear cut chances as opposed to forcing the issue.

 

wide defender width - I was conceding a lot of goals from crosses so tried this out.

 

wide attacking width because my players were only creating chances from out wide so attempted to utilize this as much as possible. 

 

the main problem i have is my strikers despite having good attribute miss almost every chance they get. I've lost 1-0 in 4 games and the goal I conceded was an own goal. 

 

i regularly dominate at home and just cant score no matter what i try. My defence goes from completely solid 1 game to useless the next. I just can't get to grips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, L_SUFC said:

I want to control possesion and play a short passing, patient game trying to create clear cut chances as opposed to forcing the issue

Okay. In that case you can add Work ball into box and reduce attacking width back to standard (default). Positive mentality (instead of Balanced) is also an option to consider.

In terms of roles, I like to do a "trick" when using a playmaker type of player in the AMC spot - rather than playing him as an AP, I play him as a standard AM (on support in this case) and add PIs "roam from position" and "take more risks". That way I make him a quasi-PM but not a ball-magnet, so that I can have more diversified play in attack. Alternatively, you may try a trequartista, but then you need an exceptionally good player. 

The roles of your strikers would depend on what types of players they are. Basically, when playing with two strikers, one should play more of a creator role (DLF, F9, CF or TQ), whereas the other should be a runner/scorer type (PO, AF. PF). And of course, which particular combo would be the "best" also depends on how other roles around them are set up. Your combination of DLFsu/PFat is okay in and of itself, but there are others that can work nicely - again depending on what types of strikers you have. And when it comes to strikers, you also need to take into account their footedness when deciding whom to play on which side.

Actually, your formation (5212) is same as mine with Man Utd (though the difference in quality is obvious, so I'm not sure how my tactic would work for your team).

 

2 hours ago, L_SUFC said:

wide defender width - I was conceding a lot of goals from crosses so tried this out

From high or low crosses? Btw, defensive width is just one aspect of defending, so should not be looked at in isolation. More urgent pressing could well be a lot more of a reason for your defensive issues than defensive width. Counter-press can also be a risky instruction.

 

2 hours ago, L_SUFC said:

wide attacking width because my players were only creating chances from out wide so attempted to utilize this as much as possible

That's because your WBs are the only wide players in the system, so when middle areas are congested, the ball will naturally be played to them, and their natural inclination is to cross. However, precisely because of that, they will continue to deliver crosses even if you reduce the width (as I suggested above). Anyway, you need to decide whether you want to rely primarily on crosses for chance creation, or would prefer the style of play you yourself described in this sentence: 

2 hours ago, L_SUFC said:

to control possesion and play a short passing, patient game trying to create clear cut chances as opposed to forcing the issue

Btw, I would strongly advice against the use of more than one BPD. And even that one should be used only if you have a player with the right attributes (passing, vision, decisions, first touch, technique, composure, anticipation). Otherwise, play standard CBs and do not complicate things ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who are you expecting to be the source of goals?  I only see the pressing forward as an outlet.  Every other player (barring CDs and GK) look to have creator type roles.  So who they creating for?  I'd try to get the AMC running into the box and maybe go as far as one of the midfielders as a Mezzala as they are quite attacking.  Just think you need to have two if not three players with the purpose of getting in the box and/or the half spaces to have the chance of getting more goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies!

 

in my next home game I:

- added the work ball into the box instruction

-  changed defending and attacking width back to standard

- changed one BPD to a CD so that I only have one

- made one of my CM's a mezzala 

- changed my AP to a standard AM with PI's to take more risks, get forward and roam from position 

 

I won 3-0 against a team on great form, so the early signs are decent. My mezzala scored, the AM got a goal and an assist (as well as MOTM) and one of my strikers finally scored his first goal of the season!

 

my main striker is still playing terribly though, his suitability in the position and role I play him in is full. His replacement scored in the same role when i subbed him off. How important is the tactical familiarity? despite being "natural" in his position and role the tactical familiarity for this one player in my team is really low. I want to give him game time to get more familiar but its making him play poorly. If i leave him on the bench i assume it wont increase as quick? is there anyway to increase individual players familairty? i cant find any option in individual training.

 

again, thanks for the help so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, L_SUFC said:

my main striker is still playing terribly though, his suitability in the position and role I play him in is full

If by "full" you refer to the full green circle, it's what the game suggests as a player's "best" role. But it is not necessarily so. Instead, look at the player's attributes and traits to determine which role (or roles) he can play well, and then think of how each of those roles would fit into the system as a whole.

If you post the screenshot of the player in question, I can tell you what role(s) would suit him and how it should interact with those around and behind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

If by "full" you refer to the full green circle, it's what the game suggests as a player's "best" role. But it is not necessarily so. Instead, look at the player's attributes and traits to determine which role (or roles) he can play well, and then think of how each of those roles would fit into the system as a whole.

 If you post the screenshot of the player in question, I can tell you what role(s) would suit him and how it should interact with those around and behind.

I have attached a picture of the striker

 

So far i have tried him as a pressing forward and an advanced forward and one game as a poacher. 

 

hes got 6 goals this season but 4 of them were in one game in the cup against a team 2 divisions below me. He only has one league goal and as you can see his average rating isn't great. 

 

his tactical familiarity is only just getting to a decent level now so i suspect that has played some part. 

mcburnie.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, L_SUFC said:

mcburnie.png

Okay. So given that you play with 2 strikers, which one is this guy? In the 1st screenshot you posted, there was no McBurnie. 

Btw, he can play as a PF on any duty, but could also be a DLF or a TM. But as I said earlier, which role would be optimal in your system also depends on how others are set up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My intention for him is to have him as the main goal scorer. So he would usually play with a more creative forward usually played as a DLF. 

On the first screenshot mcburnie would replace Gallagher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, L_SUFC said:

My intention for him is to have him as the main goal scorer. So he would usually play with a more creative forward usually played as a DLF. 

On the first screenshot mcburnie would replace Gallagher. 

If you want McBurnie to be your attack-duty striker, a problem can be his trait "Comes deep", which means he is more suited for a support duty in a 2-striker system. In a lone-striker setup, he might be a good choice as a DLF on attack for example (or PF on attack). So depending on the type of your other striker, I would rather play him as a DLF or PF on support on the left, whereas the attack-duty striker would be on the right. Another problem with him being used as the attack-duty striker is his speed (i.e. the lack of it). 

Now, if you want to ignore his lack of speed and the "Comes deep" PPM, and insist on playing him as the "main" striker (goal-scoring threat), I would play him as a poacher, would put him on the right side because he's right-footed and tell him to move into channels. Assuming that the other striker is also right-footed, it can create better passing options in the final third. So, let's assume McBurnie is played as a poacher on the right

DLF/PFsu    PO

TQ?

CAR   DLPde/su

WBat                                CWBsu

CDde    BPDst   CDde

SKde

This is very similar to my primary setup with Man Utd. The question is whether you have a suitable player for the TQ role. If not, I would suggest a standard AM on support with the take more risks and roam from position PIs added (and possibly get further forward). In fact, you said in an earlier post that you already did that.

Now, McBurnie is pretty decent in the air, so I would not be opposed to having a solid number of crosses delivered into the box.

22 hours ago, L_SUFC said:

- made one of my CM's a mezzala 

- changed my AP to a standard AM with PI's to take more risks, get forward and roam from position 

 

I won 3-0 against a team on great form, so the early signs are decent. My mezzala scored, the AM got a goal and an assist (as well as MOTM) and one of my strikers finally scored his first goal of the season!

If you want to use a mezzala - which is a great role when you have the right player - then the above setup would be slightly changed:

DLFsu       PO

AMsu

DLPsu/de   MEZsu

WBat                                   WBsu

CDde   CDst    BPDde

SKde

But once again - think about how McBurnie's "problematic" trait and lack of pace could affect his performance as a potential poacher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...