Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
ryandormer

English winter break

I'm in 2022 in my save with Arsenal and have encountered the winter break for the first time:

image.thumb.png.b5ebe574b9376bb8ccafdc2a6a538cf2.png

My assistant manager has arranged friendlies, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to go.

What would everyone recommend concerning the winter break? Send the players on holiday, arrange training camps, or friendlies?

Thanks. 

Posted (edited)

Well... it depends. :D
I'd take a look at the fitness levels and jadedness in the medical centre. If you've played European football, the first half of the season can be gruelling so extra rest can be warranted; especially if you haven't rotated too much. That said, a few winter breaks can see the players go on "mandatory" holidays, making them not available for a few days. There's also tactical familiarity to take in account, in which case you'd want to play a few friendlies. Since the winter break is a bit before the transfer window, I suppose there's no new recruit to bring up to speed with how football is played at your club, so aside from maintaining fitness or having a big tactical overhaul I suppose playing a lot of friendlies is not warranted. Unless there's a need, I'd play just enough friendlies to maintain fitness but not more.

Since there's lower activity and a lot more time spent pressing Space, I'd start preparing the transfer window and other backroom work as early as mid to late November: who to sign, who to get rid of, which contracts to extend... You can also tour for money or reputation: there may be a few Asian or South American clubs that are just starting their season, which may grant you decent opportunities to raise the stature of your club.

Edited by BMNJohn

Well remember that you've had a much shorter pre-season because of the World Cup schedule that you're now on a winter break for, so just do what you'd do in pre-season. That's what I'd do anyway. 

Does anyone know if apart from this scenario with the WC in 2022 a winter break is possible in England?