Sports Interactive Community
psychonaut

[FM2019] - Over the Maryhill and Far Away.

3 hours ago, deltablue said:

That looked like a good season for Fort William ;)

Yeah. Their highest ever finish, I think :lol:

6 hours ago, Carambau said:

Oh I see i celebrated too early... But then you did it anyway :D

Yup :D. Although for a moment I thought Queen's Park had beaten us - or would take us to penalties. I think we can survive in League 2. The good thing is we won't be immediately relegated if we finish bottom next season.

2020 - 2021 - Top 10 Players

0n0ZCgU.png

As you can see, my two main strikers, McCunnie and Joseph, were on fine form this season, knocking in 75 goals in total. All but one of the top 10 got on the scoresheet this season. Quite impressed overall, but we'll definitely need to step up a gear next season.

lYtTQ5N.png

tKbCcB4.png

SsKXU5g.png

Managerial Position
The Board are over the moon with my work this season.

OOMvTE6.png

The Chairman comes knocking on my door with a new contract extension to sign, and I have no hesitation in doing so.

BQnaDuH.png

My success also drew the attention of the Press & Journal Awards Committee, winning me several Manager of the Month awards.
SyLQCL2.png

There's going to be a lot of work to do to prepare for next season, and I'll have to strengthen both the squad and the backroom team.

Club Finances

D6NVdXF.png

I'm just hoping we get some sort of payment for going up to the league, to get rid of some more of the debt. Next season, there'll be more to pay out in wages due to contract clauses. There may be more training days to finance too. Our Scottish Cup run made a little improvement in the overall debt, but it's still too big.

Talking of the Scottish Cup, it's always nice to get a mention :)

VUvuCZO.png

Elsewhere in Europe

Scotland

SPL Winners: Celtic (x10).
SPL Runner Up: Hearts.
ECC Qualifiers: Celtic.
Europa Qualifiers: Hearts, Aberdeen (3rd), Rangers (4th).
Relegated: Queen of the South, Dundee United.

Scottish Cup Winners: Rangers.
BetFred Cup Winners: Rangers.
IrnBru Cup Winners: Dunfermline Athletic.

England
EPL Winners: Manchester City (x4)
EPL Runner Up: Chelsea.
ECC Qualifiers: Manchester City, Chelsea, Manchester Utd (3rd), Tottenham (4th), Arsenal (6th - won the Europa League and the Carabao Cup)
Europa Qualifiers: Liverpool (5th), West Brom (7th).
Relegated: Fulham, Norwich, Crystal Palace.

FA Cup Winners: Manchester United.
Carabao Cup Winners: Arsenal.
Check-A-Trade Winners: Burton Albion.

France
Ligue 1 Winners: PSG (x4)
Ligue 1 Runner Up: AS Monaco.
ECC Qualifiers: PSG, AS Monaco, Olympique Lyonnais (3rd).
Europa Qualifiers: O. Marseille (4th), Bordeaux (5th), Toulouse FC (Coupe de la Ligue BKT winner).
Relegated: Angers SCO, Brest.

French Cup Winners: PSG (x2).
Coupe de la Ligue BKT Winner: Olympique Lyonnais (x2).

Belgium
Pro-League A Winners: AA Gent.
Pro-League A Runner Up: Anderlecht.
EEC Qualifiers: AA Gent, Anderlecht.
Europa Qualifiers: Club Brugeg (3rd), Standard Liege (Belgian Cup winners), KRC Genk (Europa Lg Playoff winner).
Relegated: Oostende.

Belgian Cup Winners: Standard Liege.

Germany
Bundesliga Winners: Bayern Munich (x9).
Bundersliga Runner Up: Borussia Dortmund.
ECC Qualifiers: Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, RB Leipzig (3rd), Schalke (4th).
Europa Qualifiers: VfL Wolfsburg (5th), Bayern Leverkeusen (6th), Borussia Monchengladbach (7th).
Relegated: VfL Bochum, Jahn Regensburg, 1. FC Nurnberg.

German Cup Winners: Bayern Leverkeusen.

Holland
Eredivisie Winners: PSV.
Eredivisie Runner Up: Ajax.
ECC Qualifiers: PSV, Ajax.
Europa Qualifiers: FC Utrecht (3rd), Feyenoord (4th), AZ Alkmaar (EC playoff winner).
Relegated: VVV-Venlo, PEC Zwolle.

Dutch Cup Winners: Ajax.

Italy
Serie A Winners: A.C. Milan.
Serie A Runner Up: Inter Milan.
ECC Qualifiers: A.C. Milan, Inter Milan, Juventus (3rd), Roma (4th).
Europa Qualifiers: Napoli (5th), Lazio (6th), Atalanta (7th).
Relegated: Sassuolo, Empoli, Pescara.

Italian Cup Winners: Lazio (x2).

Spain
La Liga Winners: Real Madrid.
La Liga Runner Up: Barcelona.
EEC Qualifiers: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Real Sociedad (3rd), Athletico Madrid (4th).
Europa Qualifiers: Valencia (5th), Sevilla (6th), Real Betis (7th).
Relegated: Leganes, Sporting Gijon, Deportivo La Coruna.

Spanish Cup Winners: Barcelona.

During the break between seasons, the UK government pressed ahead with Brexit.

OmgJref.png

As the new season draws ever closer, the bookies give their opinion on how the teams in League 2 will finish.

U9KOP7W.png

Then the fixtures are released. Oh joy! First match of the season is against our fierce rivals Elgin City. Bring it on!

mXzRHTI.png

Posted (edited)

2021 - 2022 - Buckie Thistle - Ladbrokes League 2

Well, here we are. Buckie Thistle in the Scottish Professional Football League for the first time in the club's history. Given our clashes with some of the League 2 clubs last season, I'm convinced we have the quality in the team to stay up - but just how safe from the drop we'll be is another question.

Bearing that in mind, it was time to get together with my Director of Football and scouts, and find players to strengthen the squad. Most of the existing first team are good enough for the Highland Football League, but can they make that step up?

Transfers
As I suspected, Queen of the South didn't entertain another loan spell for Grant McCunnie - not without a ridiculous fee, so we had to look elsewhere and raid the loans and free transfer market again. 

Players In
1Ob0h63.png

Not a bad bunch of players, most seem up to the task required of them. I was lucky to find Ellis Hare-Reid, a great young keeper - he's had his moments in League 2, and is improving. My loan signings have been slightly hit and miss. Steve Jones came in from Dunfermline as an AM on the wing, and has been doing well. James Taylor and Scott McAllister are both strikers, and still finding their feet. I'd moved Taylor to the subs bench for 4 games, and then came the call from Ross County's manager, Derek Adam - "use him in the first team starting eleven, or he comes back to us". I've done as asked, so hopefully we'll get a few goals out of Taylor.

Players Out
1UoezOc.png

Only had one player leave us, and the rest all sent out on loan. There have been murmurings about us stockpiling players, which is half true. We started the season with no cash in the bank, so we needed to have backup players from somewhere.

Preseason Friendlies
Limited time for friendly fixtures this season, due to the BetFred Cup Group stage, but we managed to arrange a few.

gDTNj4e.png

No major concerns, apart from the draw with Brora. The team were fired up, and we were ready for business!

Edited by psychonaut

19 hours ago, DavidBeckham said:

Good luck for the new season ahead mate! \o/

9 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Good read!  Well done on the promotion.  :)

Thanks both. New season is bringing its challenges. Which I'm liking because I prefer not having an easy ride up the league :)

Posted (edited)

2021-2022 - Buckie Thistle F.C. - Ladbrokes Scottish League 2 - Mid-season Report

We venture into unknown territory. Participating in all competitions, except the Scottish Cup, for the first time in the club's history.

Competitions

pBIi7G9.png

The format and rules of this cup are explained here.

In the pre-season, we were drawn into Group C.

MHH26rM.png

We did amazingly well, earning a draw and penalty shootout against SPL side St Johnstone, followed with wins against Brechin City and Forfar Athletic from League 1, and Stirling Albion from League 2. This meant we progressed from the group as being one of the 4 best runners-up from all 8 groups.

RdBK2RZ.png

We went out to Aberdeen, but we didn't disgrace ourselves. It was a great experience for the players, a good day out for the fans, and wiped out the club debt.

vitUvx9.png

KGDyZmH.png

Everything was going well until we met our fierce rivals, Elgin City. They had never beaten us during my managerial reign, but we just didn't turn up on the day and crashed out of the cup.

nQYpQ0C.png

XtbKhcV.png

I got great satisfaction out of the 2nd Round result - revenge for them knocking us out of the Irn-Bru cup the weekend before. I was a bit annoyed with the 3rd Round performance. We were 3-0 up on Morton at one point, but they scored 3 in the second half to send the tie to a replay. I thought we might edge the replay with having home advantage, but it wasn't to be and we were outclassed.

5JOfBiv.png

ej5rDxd.png

Well, we're certainly doing a lot better than I had expected. After the first couple of matches, the drop in form had me wondering if this was how the season was going to continue. I worked with my squad to make sure the heads didn't drop. I looked at things such as my team talks and shouts on match days, and also had the first team meeting in ages. My Assistant Manager also highlighted the importance of letting squad members know when they had done well in training.

We did well through September, October and November. In December, there seemed to be another dip in form, and I just hope this isn't going to carry over into the second half of the season. I'll need to look at the back line - we could definitely do with more depth and better quality. The Betfred Cup match against Aberdeen has given me a little bit of transfer money to play with.

Edited by psychonaut

Posted (edited)

2021-2022 - Buckie Thistle F.C. - Ladbrokes Scottish League 2 - Mid-season Report

The Team

Top 10 Players
3EIpUik.png

rTFSuan.png

Our players are doing well, generally, but I'm a bit concerned about the number of yellow and red cards we're picking up. In December, we had at least 1 first team regular suspended for each match.

Finances

nGH0dPs.png

Back in the black! Thanks mainly to the income from the cup tie with Aberdeen.

My Job
Still enjoying it, despite the occasional frustrations when we blow 2 goal leads or concede late to draw or lose. I've won 1 Manager of the Month award (October) so far this season.

The Board appear to be happy :) 
aIcE9B9.png

Only one team so far has attempted to lure me away this season.
kZuQdci.png

I'd marked my 100th game in charge of Buckie when we played Arbroath in November, but I had no intention of going there. I'm committed to this club.
Glyf8Ii.png

Looking Forward
Need to look at strengthening the squad. I have a feeling we can bag a playoff place, but we'll have to be more consistent.

Edited by psychonaut

Looking good so far! Scott McAlister seems a great loan, maybe you can sign him at some point

12 hours ago, Carambau said:

Looking good so far! Scott McAlister seems a great loan, maybe you can sign him at some point

I'd like to, but not sure Celtic would agree to it. I can always make an enquiry though.

Posted (edited)

2021-2022 - Buckie Thistle F.C. - Ladbrokes Scottish League 2 - End of Season Report

Going into the second half of the season, we're sitting in a good place. But I need to address weaknesses in the squad. A couple of my summer signings just haven't worked out as well as I wanted and I have to send my scouts out to look for new additions to the squad. 

Transfer Activity

Players In
DteMAzh.png

When I noticed Igor Spuryk unhappy and transfer-listed by Morton, I just had to make an offer. Spuryk had been part of my squad when I first joined Buckie Thistle. He left to play at a higher level, but it didn't quite work out, however, he was delighted to be playing League 2 football instead of Highland League.

With the advice of my scouts and Director of Football, I also brought in new additions who are in the under-25 age range and hopefully an investment for the future.

Players Out
1VEY5Ou.png

Two players released, and two loaned. Not much to say really.

Staff
8CemL1c.png

When I found out Craig MacMillan had retired from football, I also heard he was keen to stay in the game as a Director of Football. Looking at his credentials compared to my existing DoF, I knew that I would have to make the difficult decision to sack our current DoF. With that done, MacMillan took up his post quickly and got to work. We still have a great relationship, thanks to us working together at Maryhill F.C.

Competitions

Ladbrokes Scottish League 2
When this season started, I thought if we avoid relegation/finishing 10th, I'd be happy and use it as a foundation to build on next season. By the start of 2022, we were 4th, and I was hopeful of a top half finish, possibly even a playoff spot. With Albion Rovers, Stirling Albion, Stenhousemuir and Arbroath seeming to be the main contenders for promotion, I considered anything above 5th to be a miracle.

eKHGdpk.png

We got off to a good start in January, not staggering wins, but taking all 3 points from Stenhousemuir and Albion Rovers certainly helped out aspirations of a playoff place. February, and beating Stirling Albion meant we'd made a significant step towards a top 4 finish. March started disappointingly with a draw against our rivals, Elgin City, but we picked up form with 2 wins. After another victory against East Kilbride, followed by wins against Stenhousemuir and Arbroath, set up an end of season finish to remember. We were almost there.

jadK9HI.png

Remaining Fixtures
mAaQxlh.png

So this was it. The time for legends to be made and dreams to be broken!

4 Matches to Play
CuTR1Ze.pngGCkRES6.png

A nervy win against The Wee Rovers, which was just as well because Stirling Albion would have gone above us after their 3-1 win.

3 Matches to Play
Oim6784.pngpTtPAPN.png

More heart-stopping stuff. I thought we'd blown the title chase when Stirling scored first, but I rallied my lads and we came back home with 3 points. Again, a crucial win with Albion Rovers and Arbroath grabbing a win.

2 Matches to Play
znNrSPc.pngk2iZ8G1.png

I honestly thought we'd thrown it all away. An extremely disappointing draw with bottom of the table Montrose. I don't know if my squad had thought a draw was enough, and I made sure they knew how unhappy I was. However, Albion Rovers had lost. We were on 66 points, they were on 63. Goal difference could turn out to be crucial on the final day...

Edited by psychonaut

Where can i find this database i cant seem to find it anywhere :/ looks very exciting!!! well done so far ;) 

6 hours ago, Magika80 said:

Where can i find this database i cant seem to find it anywhere :/ looks very exciting!!! well done so far ;) 

Cheers. It's going better than I'd thought. Although I did have to see Queen's Park (well, someone has to support them) relegated to the Lowland League by us.

The database I'm using is from here:

Posted (edited)

Final Day of the Season - 2021-2022

It has all come to this. All the weeks since August, all the games we've won, drawn or lost. One final match to go, which sees us playing at home. What better setting for a party if things go our way at 4.45pm?

There's the usual probing questions from the press, wanting to know team, tactics, whether I'm feeling nervous, and what I think our chances are. I'm very cagey, although inside, I already know the answer to the most important question.

I sent the team out for the first half, telling them to get the party started. But the next 90 minutes didn't quite go to plan, and proved to be quite a fiery affair. My players must have thought the match ended after 3 minutes, because they just wouldn't step up a gear.

CKxqLUb.png

The referee was giving out cards like it was Christmas. I'm not too worried though, as our style of play is to get stuck in. Maybe we overdid the getting stuck in because we committed a total of 726 fouls - the highest amount in the league campaign. East Kilbride were just behind us with 540 fouls.

With our match over, it was only a matter of waiting for results from elsewhere to filter in, the Stirling Albion v Albion Rovers clash especially. Then we heard:

5QxgIm4.png

Albion Rovers had won - but they would have needed another 18 goals to snatch our crown! LET'S GET THE PARTY STARTED!

NYr3rOi.pngjUhxcIN.png

The Chairman, Fraser Smith, comes running out onto the pitch to celebrate!

WJvhixe.png

Final Table
62aiW4C.png

Anyone who a bet on us being promoted, at pre-season odds of 250-1, enjoy your winnings. WE'RE GOING UP!

Edited by psychonaut

2021-2022 - Buckie Thistle F.C. - End of Season

My Career
So, as the last stragglers left the promotion party and I helped clear discarded paper plates into black bin bags, I thought about the season that had just finished, and what my team had achieved.

Xp8aKOb.png

Personally, I'd hit a new milestone in my career:
sMLBcN3.png

There were murmurings about me joining Brechin City, who were bottom of League 1, but nothing came of that after I told the press I was not in the slightest bit interested in the job.

This year was a good year for winning awards - not as many as last year, but I received the Manager of the Month award for October, January, February and April.

The Squad
Described as committed and aggressive (definitely the latter, given the 726 fouls in the league!). We had a 77% passing success rate (highest in the division) and a shooting accuracy of 48% (2nd in the division). We scored 77 goals in the league, but also conceded 40 goals (2nd highest in the division).

The squad worked generally well, and confidence was at an all time high throughout the season. We used the highest number of individual players in the division, but I tried as best I could to stick to a regular starting eleven.

Stats & Top 10 Players
pwvziKj.pngOnuydQf.png

The Board
In their eyes, I can't put a foot wrong. Let's see if they're singing the same tune this time next season :D

AVqxGYd.png

Club Finances
Vastly improved, thanks to the Aberdeen match in the Betfred Cup and increased attendances in general.

MR1Tgxo.png

2021-2022 - Buckie Thistle F.C. - Ladbrokes League 2 - Awards

A very good year for the team and for the players. Firstly, we had our own awards night.

dkn3z4h.png

Following on from that, we were delighted to learn about this:
W1ZREID.png

And the hard work put in through the year brought this honour to the team. Not one, not two, but SEVEN of our players featured:
ZaQkJAx.png7OTGsqw.png

In addition to that there were the following awards in the League:
Player of the Month: Ryan Strachan (September); Steven Ross (February).
Young Player of the Month: Niyah Joseph (August).

Next Season
Same as this season. We're going to try really hard to avoid the drop. At a Team Meeting, the lads were dismissive about the chances of doing anything other than trying to avoid relegation. They could be right, the squad certainly needs a lot of strengthening - especially as I've been advised not to renew a large number of contracts. Out with the old, and in with the new. We'll give it a good shot though.

Elsewhere in Europe

Scotland

SPL Winners: Celtic (x11).
SPL Runner Up: Rangers.
ECC Qualifiers: Celtic, Rangers (due to being awarded extra slot at end of last season).
Europa Qualifiers: Aberdeen (3rd), Hearts (4th), Hibernian (5th).
Relegated: Ross County.

Scottish Cup Winners: Rangers (x2).
BetFred Cup Winners: Celtic.
IrnBru Cup Winners: Motherwell.

England
EPL Winners: Manchester City (x5)
EPL Runner Up: Manchester United.
ECC Qualifiers: Manchester City, Manchester Utd, Arsenal (3rd), Chelsea (4th).
Europa Qualifiers: Liverpool (5th), Tottenham Hotspur (6th), West Brom (FA Cup winners).
Relegated: Brighton, Preston NE, Cardiff City.

FA Cup Winners: West Brom.
Carabao Cup Winners: Chelsea.
Check-A-Trade Winners: Southend United.

France
Ligue 1 Winners: PSG (x5)
Ligue 1 Runner Up: O. Lyonnais.
ECC Qualifiers: PSG,  Olympique Lyonnais (2nd), AS Monaco (3rd), Toulouse FC (4th).
Europa Qualifiers: Rennes (5th), O. Marseille (6th), OGC Nice (Coupe BKT winners).
Relegated: Amiens SC, AC Ajaccio.

French Cup Winners: PSG (x3).
Coupe de la Ligue BKT Winner: OGC Nice.

Belgium
Pro-League A Winners: Anderlecht (x2).
Pro-League A Runner Up: AA Gent
EEC Qualifiers: AA Gent, Anderlecht.
Europa Qualifiers: Club Brugge, Standard Liege.
Relegated: Union SG.

Belgian Cup Winners: Anderlecht

Germany
Bundesliga Winners: Bayern Munich (x10).
Bundersliga Runner Up: Borussia Dortmund.
ECC Qualifiers: Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, RB Leipzig (3rd), VfL Wolfsburg (Europa Lg Winners).
Europa Qualifiers: Schalke 04 (4th), Mainz 05 (5th), FC Koln (German Cup winners).
Relegated: SC Freiburg, FC Augsburg.

German Cup Winners: FC Koln.

Holland
Eredivisie Winners: Ajax.
Eredivisie Runner Up: PSV.
Europa Qualifiers: Feyenoord (Dutch Cup Winners), AZ Alkmaar (EC playoff winner).
Relegated: Willem II, Fortuna Sittard.

Dutch Cup Winners: Feyenoord.

Italy
Serie A Winners: Juventus.
Serie A Runner Up: Napoli.
ECC Qualifiers: Juventus, Napoli, A.C. Milan (3rd), AS Roma (4th).
Europa Qualifiers: Inter Milan (5th), Fiorentina (6th), Lazio (7th).
Relegated: Brescia, Frosinone, Cosezna.

Italian Cup Winners: Juventus.

Spain
La Liga Winners: Barcelona.
La Liga Runner Up: Athletico Madrid.
EEC Qualifiers: Barcelona, Athletico Madrid, Real Madrid (3rd), Valencia (4th).
Europa Qualifiers: Sevilla (5th), Getafe (6th), Real Sociedad (7th).
Relegated: Alaves, Huesca, Valladolid.

Spanish Cup Winners: Athletico Madrid.

8 hours ago, deltablue said:

Great work going up again. 

Thanks. It was close run to the end of the season. I was half wanting not to go up, because I like a bit of a challenge. Hopefully League 1 will provide that.

22 hours ago, Carambau said:

Wow. Just wow. Weil done!

Thank you. I was surprised we actually got top spot, I thought Albion Rovers or Stirling Albion were the most likely, but Albion Rovers threw it away on the 2nd last game of the season. If they had won that, they would have taken the title - and automatic promotion - from us on the final day. 

The new season will be interesting. I had a team meeting to discuss my vision for the season ahead, saying we could probably get a bottom half finish and avoid relegation. My players seemed to think otherwise - may be time for some of them to move on.

Posted (edited)

2022-2023 - Buckie Thistle F.C. - Ladbrokes League 1 - Preseason

Wow. What a surprise last season, with the unexpected promotion. Of course, it gave me a lot to think about over the summer break. There was the strength of the squad, the cost of wage rises and other associated fees. I also knew we would have to bring in some more backroom staff, and I looked to my Assistant Manager to arrange that.

Transfers

In
WVFy9IP.png

Sweeping changes across the squad. I checked in on out top scorer from 2 seasons ago, Grant McCunnie, and found his contract was soon to end. Furthermore, Queen of the South had transfer-listed him. Got in early and snapped him up. Was also excited to find Keiran Dall available. He'd been part of my Maryhill squad in 2018-19, but left to try and improve his career. It didn't work out for him, and I found him transfer-listed by Championship side, Morton. I still had a great respect for Dall, and he was delighted to join me a Buckie Thistle.

As I said, it was all about strengthening the squad, and I brought in some loan signings again, and raided the free transfer market. So far, all the new faces have made a good start.

Out
T1hg1H4.png

No departures, just players going out on loan.

Friendlies
With the season beginning slightly earlier this year, due to the World Cup, and Betfred Cup ties to play, we only managed one friendly. We drew 1-1 with Clachnacuddin.

Edited by psychonaut

2022-2023 - Buckie Thistle F.C. - Ladbrokes League 1 - Preseason

The odds for the final positions this season:

kTl5IL6.png

And it wasn't long until the fixtures list was released.

P4MPriB.png

We were also made aware of the following:
3YDk5x3.png

Posted (edited)

2022-2023 - Buckie Thistle F.C. - Ladbrokes League 1 - July-December 2022

Competitions

HD4nfzS.png

Predicted Finish: 10th.
Board: Fight against relegation.

Taking only 1 point from our first 2 matches didn't give me much hope that we would finish higher than 9th or 10th. However, a good run in August and September helped us greatly.

V4MXGRy.pngPsPKei7.png

If you told me at the start of the season we would be sitting in 2nd by the end of 2022, I'd have been calling an ambulance to take you away. But, mainly thanks to the form in August and September, and again in November, here we are. I'm proud of what the team have achieved so far, and I'm quietly confident we can go for a playoff place - although I haven't mentioned it to the Board. Having said that, we've really struggled against the two teams relegated from the Scottish Championship last year, so we're nowhere near ready for the next step. But, I said that last season...

Cups

7XtUx2E.png
Board asked that we be competitive in this competition. Tried our best, but crashed out in the group stage.

alIMxTB.png
QJ2BoxX.png

YVgOmah.png
We were expected to reach the 4th Round, but...

ymXKgm6.png

4QCfpqU.png
Expected to reach 2nd Round. Made it to the Quarter Final = Happy Board.

3KeYsoQ.png

Edited by psychonaut

2022-2023 - Buckie Thistle F.C. - Ladbrokes League 1 - July-December 2022

Top 10 Players
3XSZYqn.png

Stats
HDSb5Gk.png

Pleased we managed to make it halfway through this year without picking up any red cards.

Board Feedback
7KQqt02.png
:)

2022-2023 - Buckie Thistle F.C. - Ladbrokes Scottish League 1 - July-December 2022

My Job
Going very well, and very secure. My track record is attracting job offers. In this 6 months, I've been invited to interviews with Cowdenbeath and Dumbarton, in our division, and Hamilton Academical (Ladbrokes Championship). 

I turned down Cowdenbeath, as I had no intention of joining a relegation threatened club in our own division. Dumbarton were knocked back too.

The other offer, however, I decided to make the journey down to Hamilton. The squad looked good and capable of a top half finish at least. But this question may have been my downfall:

XyiyEMf.png

I chose answer second from bottom, and the rest of the interview went well. Buckie Thistle Chairman had found out about my little trip, and wanted to see me urgently:

8RIytDG.png

I declined the talks, and stuck it out until Hamilton came back to me with an answer. If it was a job offer, I was prepared to go. But as the year drew to close, there was still no response...

Club Finances
Falling fast. We need a decent payday from somewhere. Looks like the increased wages are mainly to blame.

1TiZUf9.png

9 hours ago, deltablue said:

The England group looked politically tasty ;)

Ha Ha! So it was. I hadn't noticed that. I wonder if there were any new sanctions following the Iran/USA clash? :lol:

Jamaica did fantastic.

You're doing very well Psycho. Sorry for only just seeing your new(ish) career.

2 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Jamaica did fantastic.

You're doing very well Psycho. Sorry for only just seeing your new(ish) career.

No problem. So many threads being updated, this one can end up on the second page after half a day. :) 

Cheers. It's going well so far. Better than expected. 

I was surprised Jamaica weren't named as overachievers at the World Cup. Maybe it was based on FIFA rankings.

Posted (edited)

2022-2023 - Buckie Thistle F.C. - Ladbrokes Scottish League 1 - January-May 2023

The second half of the season gets underway and the first thing I need to do is to see if there are areas of the team which could be strengthened.

Transfers

In
GeNSfAl.png

Brought in Matty Allan (DC) and Rabin Omar (M/AM R). The fans were just a bit unhappy about me bringing in Omar as Elgin City are out fierce rivals, but after a few appearances they accepted him. Matty Allan was a young prospect, developed by Montrose and wasted in the Highland League - he's done OK since joining us.

Out
3GkLtxP.png

Two players given transfers, the rest all going out on loan.

Competitions

HD4nfzS.png

They say football is a game of two halves. How very true. OK, we weren't ever tipped to achieve greatness this season, with many saying we were destined for the drop straight back down.

January was a mixed bag, as was February. The slow slide had begun. We showed glimpses of hope at times, but threw away points against teams we really should have been beating. Winning only 5 games between January and April was never going to be enough for us to take the top spot. I thought we might have held on for a playoff spot, but 3 draws in our final 3 matches meant we didn't manage that.

c2qtojU.png

And so, the final league table looked like this:

apyDAED.png

Mid table, not bad for a first season, and certainly more than anyone expected of us. Yes, I was a tiny bit disappointed to miss out on a playoff spot, but delighted we showed the doubters we're not pushovers.

The Squad
A bit of an unsettled year, perhaps due to the large number of players in our squad. This is something I'll need to address during the break. The wage bill is bleeding us, and several players complained about not getting enough first team starts. At one point 7 players all submitted transfer requests, and certainly didn't look to renew their contracts.

Top 10 Players
LDwQPjl.png

Grant McCunnie leads the field in all respects. His stats might not say he's a good finisher, but he can certainly find the back of the net. Usually plays as a Poacher, but can also be an Advanced Forward when needed. He has a great partnership up front with Kieran Dall, established himself as team captain this season, and is top dog in the dressing room (after me, of course!).

C3SciXU.png

Finances
Still dropping like a stone this season. The saving grace was our prize money of £107,000 for finishing 5th, although a lot of that was used to pay the squad bonuses.

cn59xNJ.png

We made it to the end, still in the black - only just. Going to need to thin out the squad and have some decent cup runs next season.

Edited by psychonaut

2022-2023 - Buckie Thistle F.C. - Ladbrokes Scottish League 1 - January-May 2023

My Job

The second half of the year saw me linked to a number of different clubs.

I was still waiting a response from Hamilton Academical, and it appeared in my inbox on 2nd January:
NGiYPVa.png

No luck there, but I was linked to Brechin City, Partick Thistle, Dundee United, and St. Mirren. When I declared interest in the St. Mirren job, I hadn't been prepared for the reaction!

The St. Mirren fans were looking forward to it...
FzXtaZb.png

But our Chairman didn't take it so well...
f8d3Ke8.png

So in I went, and did my best...
9TrFZJt.png

:hammer:You can't sack me...

2022-2023 - Buckie Thistle F.C. - Ladbrokes Scottish League 1 - End of Season Report

pN7aGVJ.png

And at our awards night:
RVcOS5p.png

And finally, the Chairman gave his assessment of my performance.
37pidyu.png

Next Season
I'll try to build on the performance this season. Quite a lot of contracts were up at the end of this season, and there's going to be a bit of a clear out, both on the squad, and with some of my backroom staff. Hopefully we'll snatch a playoff spot.

Elsewhere in Europe - 2022-2023

Scotland

SPL Winners: Celtic (x12).
SPL Runner Up: Aberdeen.
ECC Qualifiers: Celtic, Aberdeen.
Europa Qualifiers: St Mirren (Scottish Cup winners), Hearts (3rd); Rangers (4th)
Relegated: Ayr United, Livingston.

Scottish Cup Winners: St Mirren.
BetFred Cup Winners: Hearts.
IrnBru Cup Winners: Dunfermline.

England
EPL Winners: Manchester City (x6)
EPL Runner Up: Arsenal.
ECC Qualifiers: Liverpool (Europa Lg Winners), Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea (3rd), Manchester Utd (4th).
Europa Qualifiers: Tottenham Hotspur (6th), Watford (7th).
Relegated: Newcastle Utd, Middlesbrough, Reading.

FA Cup Winners: Chelsea.
Carabao Cup Winners: Manchester Utd.
Check-A-Trade Winners: Cambridge Utd.

France
Ligue 1 Winners: PSG (x6)
Ligue 1 Runner Up: AS Monaco.
ECC Qualifiers: PSG, AS Monaco, O. Marseille (3rd), O. Lyonnais (4th).
Europa Qualifiers: Bordeaux (5th), Toulouse FC (6th), LOSC Lille (7th).
Relegated: AS Saint-Etienne, Nimes.

French Cup Winners: O. Lyonnais.
Coupe de la Ligue BKT Winner: PSG.

Belgium
Pro-League A Winners: Anderlecht (x3).
Pro-League A Runner Up: Club Brugge.
EEC Qualifiers: Anderlecht.
Europa Qualifiers: KRC Genk, AA Gent.
Relegated: STVV.

Belgian Cup Winners: Anderlecht (x2).

Germany
Bundesliga Winners: Borussia Dortmund (Ending Bayern Munich's 10 year reign).
Bundersliga Runner Up: Bayern Munich.
ECC Qualifiers: Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, Schalke 04 (3rd).
Europa Qualifiers: RB Leipzig (4th), Bayer Leverkeusen (5th)
Relegated: Hannover 96, FC Heidenheim 1846.

German Cup Winners: Bayern Munich.

Holland
Eredivisie Winners: PSV.
Eredivisie Runner Up: Ajax.
Europa Qualifiers: Feyenoord, AZ Alkmaar (Dutch Cup winners).
Relegated: VVV-Venlo, Sparta Rotterdam.

Dutch Cup Winners: AZ Alkmaar.

Italy
Serie A Winners: A.C. Milan.
Serie A Runner Up: Juventus.
ECC Qualifiers:  A.C. Milan, Juventus, Inter Milan (3rd), AS Roma (4th).
Europa Qualifiers: Fiorentina (Italian Cup winners), Napoli (5th), Lazio (7th).
Relegated: SPAL, Cittadella, Pescara.

Italian Cup Winners: Fiorentina.

Spain
La Liga Winners: Real Madrid.
La Liga Runner Up: Barcelona.
EEC Qualifiers: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Athletico Madrid (3rd), Real Betis (4th).
Europa Qualifiers: Valencia (5), Celta Vigo (6th), Eibar (7th).
Relegated: Athletic Bilbao, Vallecano, Sporting Gijon.

Spanish Cup Winners: Barcelona.

Posted (edited)

Champions League

cEaXxHM.png

Europa League

N6LGA53.png

Edited by psychonaut