Closest to winning the league.

Hey 

I was top on the last day of the season for about 30 minutes. Other results went against me. Including my own and I ended up finishing 3rd. 

My fans and the board didn't seem too distraught that I didn't manage to win as I was never expected to win the league. 

I am though. We were so close. I'm trying to use it as motivation to challenge again / win it next year but I'm struggling. 

So I thought I would turn to you guys for some support. 

What's the closest you have coming to winning the league? How did you kick on for the next season? 

Cheers. 

Distonio. 

FM 12 or 13, I forget exactly which one it was, I needed a win and have Chelsea lose or draw. Chelsea lost to some team and we were leading until 94:45 when a player gave away a penalty. We drew the game and thus lost the league on goal difference. 

When I was a outsider, I suffered disappointing collapse for 2-3 seasons in a row. In Belgium you first play 30 matches then you go to Champions group where ypu play another 10 matches. Each time I would finish 1st  after those 30 matches. Then I would go for like 7 games withot a win in those last 10 games and drop to 6th. I was a little better next season and only dropped to 3rd. It was very disappointing the first time, second and third time I was expecting it, so wasn't disappointed. I just had to look through my squad, and see that their weren't that much good. I now manage another club in the same league, and play against my former club and many of the players are still there. When I compare them to what I have now, it's ridiculous.

So, just keep in mind that you're still overachieveing. Don't bee greedy. :)

I've lost the league on goal difference before but came 3rd the table ended up like this:

1. Tottenham 84pts

2. Man City 84pts

3. Everton 84pts

I just stuck with it and the next year I walked the league after improving the squad again. So keep at it, you obviously have a good thing going for  getting that close!

• 1 month later...

On an old version of Championship Manager (SI days), I came second in the Premier League with Barnet, behind Liverpool who scored an injury time equaliser on the last day of the season at Crystal Palace to win the title by one goal.

At the end of round 32 of the Bundesliga ( 1st season - FM18) I, as Hamburg, was joint top with both Bayern and Dortmund on 65 points, all having played both of them twice. It ended with Dortmund 6 points ahead of me, and Bayern I think 2 behind them.

I also, again on FM18, pipped Real Madrid to the La Liga title with Real Sociedad on head-to-head which was satisfying!

Beaten to second by a goal difference of one.

Remeber the Man Utd scenes at Sunderland (or Middlesborough) when City scored the injury time winner? Yeah, just that all over again.

I've come second in the EPL with the same points and goal difference as the 1st placed team, lost on goals scored. They had scored 1 more. That must have been on FM2009 or thereabouts. Still not got over it.

• 1 month later...

Archived