Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  

I was hoping that in future versions they could have the possibility to zoom the camera closer than you are currently able to. I don't mind the camera angle as it currently is on director (which you can't seem to zoom in and out of), although I think being able to zoom a bit closer, for instance, on the TV camera mode, would be nice. I know you can zoom in already, but even if you zoom all the way in, it still doesn't get that close. The reason for wanting this you might ask? Well some stadiums in real life have the TV camera zoomed closer to the action, such as Stamford Bridge or Santiago Bernabeu, while at the Camp Nou for example, the camera is further out. So it would be nice to be able to zoom it closer on some stadiums, and have it further back in others. Of course, I can see a potential issue with this, in that, if they allow this function, it will show the players closer up and how unlike the real thing they look, but still.

Actually, it would be nice to even be able to zoom in closer in 2D, as the circles/players seem quite little from above in this version. At least with that, there would not be a graphical issue, like there might be in 3D. I am surprised they don't have a zoom function on that, as it would seem fairly simple to do.

Would do you think folks?

The graphics level isn't good enough to warrant a closer look ;)

Nor it shouldn't, as the goal of watching the game (be it in 2D or 3D) is to see if your players are playing the way they should and they have been told to. A close-up on your striker won't ever look as slick as a FIFA/PES, not even as an old version, and it won't help you understand why he ran toward the corner flag instead of at the goal, or why he didn't have any support from the other CF...

Stuff in the ME/3D game should serve a purpose for the management side of the game. The more pleasant to the eye, the better, but definitely not a priority.

6 hours ago, RBKalle said:

The graphics level isn't good enough to warrant a closer look ;)

Nor it shouldn't, as the goal of watching the game (be it in 2D or 3D) is to see if your players are playing the way they should and they have been told to. A close-up on your striker won't ever look as slick as a FIFA/PES, not even as an old version, and it won't help you understand why he ran toward the corner flag instead of at the goal, or why he didn't have any support from the other CF...

Stuff in the ME/3D game should serve a purpose for the management side of the game. The more pleasant to the eye, the better, but definitely not a priority.

I disagree . A great film with a bad ending ends up being a bad film

7 ore fa, prot651 ha scritto:

I disagree . A great film with a bad ending ends up being a bad film 

I don't get the analogy...

My point is that a game like Total War doesn't need the same graphical quality of Battlefield because they belong to different genres and have different structure, gameplay and goals.

You wouldn't film a superhero movie in the same way you'd film an arthouse movie or a documentary either.

What would a close-up view improve in FM? Sure, we could notice and enjoy more details on the 3D kits (which is somethin I enjoy as a semi-active kit creator), but that wouldn't really help us understanding and playing the game better!
Also, I must repeat myself,  graphics isn't FM's stong suit (and it needn't to be!), so getting too close would expose the ME's lack of graphical refinement.

P.S. In FM12 there was a hidden, close camera. It was sort of broken, but it indeed helped to take a closer look to 3D kits. Good for "debug", completely pointless for actual play.Playercam_fm12.thumb.jpg.c946f8d92160f834d0c09a5751254d4b.jpg

1 hour ago, RBKalle said:

I don't get the analogy...

My point is that a game like Total War doesn't need the same graphical quality of Battlefield because they belong to different genres and have different structure, gameplay and goals.

You wouldn't film a superhero movie in the same way you'd film an arthouse movie or a documentary either.

What would a close-up view improve in FM? Sure, we could notice and enjoy more details on the 3D kits (which is somethin I enjoy as a semi-active kit creator), but that wouldn't really help us understanding and playing the game better!
Also, I must repeat myself,  graphics isn't FM's stong suit (and it needn't to be!), so getting too close would expose the ME's lack of graphical refinement.

P.S. In FM12 there was a hidden, close camera. It was sort of broken, but it indeed helped to take a closer look to 3D kits. Good for "debug", completely pointless for actual play.Playercam_fm12.thumb.jpg.c946f8d92160f834d0c09a5751254d4b.jpg

What I was saying is that the 3D graphics in FM19 and the way it behaves ( ME ) is of poor quality and hence for me anyway spoils the game . I love the game but the ending spoils it . Just like a good movie with a bad ending is you only remember the ending

6 ore fa, prot651 ha scritto:

What I was saying is that the 3D graphics in FM19 and the way it behaves ( ME ) is of poor quality and hence for me anyway spoils the game . I love the game but the ending spoils it . Just like a good movie with a bad ending is you only remember the ending

But out of all the possible reasons to criticize the ME, graphics is probably at the bottom of the list... ;)

As said, the purpose of the 3D ME is to give us a visual representation of the match and to monitor how things are going for our team. A FIFA-like graphics isn't really necessary because we don't need photorealistic players' faces to see that our Winger can't put a decent cross in to save his life or our CBs are lethargic sloths who get constantly dragged out of position.

To be honest, we don't even need actual 3D models for the players... The 2D dots of the post-split CM "traffic cones" would fulfill the same purpose, but I also see either will look rather bush-league in 2019. So what we have, albeit far from perfect, is a fair compromise between usability and looks.

About the movies comparison: a car accident in an action movie and one in a drama can (and should) be shot differently because their purpose is different. In the former, car flips and explosions are expected and will enhance the visuals and the general feel of the movie. In the latter, it must be character or story-driven, so the more realistic and gritty, the better.
It's not about the quality of the scene, but about the meaning.

2 hours ago, RBKalle said:

But out of all the possible reasons to criticize the ME, graphics is probably at the bottom of the list... ;)

As said, the purpose of the 3D ME is to give us a visual representation of the match and to monitor how things are going for our team. A FIFA-like graphics isn't really necessary because we don't need photorealistic players' faces to see that our Winger can't put a decent cross in to save his life or our CBs are lethargic sloths who get constantly dragged out of position.

To be honest, we don't even need actual 3D models for the players... The 2D dots of the post-split CM "traffic cones" would fulfill the same purpose, but I also see either will look rather bush-league in 2019. So what we have, albeit far from perfect, is a fair compromise between usability and looks.

About the movies comparison: a car accident in an action movie and one in a drama can (and should) be shot differently because their purpose is different. In the former, car flips and explosions are expected and will enhance the visuals and the general feel of the movie. In the latter, it must be character or story-driven, so the more realistic and gritty, the better.
It's not about the quality of the scene, but about the meaning.

I don't believe graphics should be at the bottom of the list . The game itself is mainly fine and a overhaul of the ME and graphics would please a lot of people . 

51 minuti fa, prot651 ha scritto:

I don't believe graphics should be at the bottom of the list . The game itself is mainly fine and a overhaul of the ME and graphics would please a lot of people . 

Well, who wouldn't like FM with FIFA19 graphics?!

However, it's just a pipe-dream and, even if it were actually feasible (assuming SEGA/SI having a bottomless pit of money to throw at the project), would it actually improve FM?

My answer is no, it wouldn't.

FM is a management game. Having gorgeous visuals would surely improve immersion, but does it really matter how fluid the animation for a GK save is, or how photorealistic the players' faces are compared to, say, how reliable the tactical input/output is, or how realistic the transfers or the patterns of players development are?

It's like wanting a sportscar to be roomy and to have a large trunk. If you need comfort and cargo space, get a SUV or a minivan... If you buy a sportscar, you're willing to sacrifice both factors to performance.
So with FM you know you're getting a very good football management game with sub-par, but serviceable, graphics.

P.S. FWIW, the old FIFA Manager/Total Club Manager games were using an old FIFA Soccer engine, but the 3D game still felt dull and it didn't add much to the experience IMO.

The odds are that despite all the animations added, despite all the things updated on the graphical side of the ME representation, it still doesn't quite have everything fleshed out. Perhaps a little generous, but I tend to look on some of the more absurd touches, mis-controls etc as a lack of animation depth and so the visual element simply does the best it can to represent what the underlying ME has determined what will happen.

I remember reading something that a lot of gambling sites now offer virtual sports, I think its regularly been put on here at times in the past with the fairly high resolution football highlights. They have something similar though, that an outcome is determined, and it then selects footage that is closest to what it needs. In that situation it can result in some very wrong visual results compared to the actual result (the example I read in depth about was a guy raging against a bookies because he watched one horse win, but the software determined another had won, and what he was getting to watch was just a superficial display that had no meaning) ultimately I think its probably beneficial to SI to have more numerous, lower quality animations and set-ups for the game rather than fewer, high quality. 

FM has a similar underlying concept though, the ME determines what will actually happen, the visual layer on top then tries to recreate it with the animations available to it. FIFA does suffer this problem as well, there have been numerous instances of where there is a missing animation and so a tackle happens despite not visually happening, or a ball ghosts through a keepers hand, or through a defenders foot etc. It's the nature of the beast for games, but FIFA tends to be more what you're seeing happen is actually what is happening. Whereas in FM, what you're seeing happen is a reconstruction. 

Posted (edited)

I disagree with RBKalle said. Although the main purpose of this game is management, although the graphics are not so good on some potato PC, some people actually find it better to at least have a CHOICE when setting the camera angle. There's no way changing the min/max numbers in the cameras_match.jsb would cost a lot in development. It's just a very, very simple QoL change, which is totally irrelevant to what RBKalle is rambling about. The unchangeable zooming distance is another good example of the sheer laziness of SI and too much tolerance of FM fanbase.

Edited by A.gran

KBKalle is spot on all the way through, if you are playing FM for the graphics then you are probably playing the wrong game! 

SI said for years they wouldn't move to 3d because it didn't add to the game but in the end they did because they saw the need for it but the way it is now, I can't see it changing for a long time, i personally don't see the point.  I do play with 3d but i play from the Analyst camera angle, well above the pitch (yes, I may as well play 2d) but i like the animations as they are, i dont need to see fifa/pes graphics!