Hello guys. I am the current manager of Wales Under 21s and Harrogate town as well. I am currently on 4th rank in Vanarama National League. My problem is that my team is really uncertain. It can win a match in one moment and lose it in another. For example; My team defeated Burton Albion in FA Cup Second Round with a score of 8-2 lost to AFC fylde which is at 24th position in my league with score of 3-0. What I mean to say is that no matter which tactic I use, the result is always a random and its stands same for the players. You never know which player is going to play well. I lost 2 matches back to back against lower level teams with an attacking tactic so I turned to balanced tactic against another low ordet club but lost again which was quite frustrating as I am determined to win the Vanarama National Leagur title.

Also while using a bit defensive tactic the team was not creating any chances so I made the team train in attack mode for a week yet their performance in attacking third was below far. The wingers never cross the ball, whenever they do, the ball is always blocked by defenders and goes for a corner (and when I say always, I am not kidding). The strikers never face towards the opponents net and when they recieve the ball they lose it while they turn towards the goal. For the set pieces, we are too bad at it even though I always add about 3 set piece sessions(defend) in a week, yet we fail to protect the net. I need suggestions specially on training part because I dont think that even makes a difference in the game

Thank you in advance.

Edited by AshKing15

Possibly your tactic is good for being an "underdog" as your Burton result showed when you were the underdog, but allows the weaker opponents too much room to counter you or target specific weaknesses you have.

Ive seen you post a tactic previously and its pretty gung ho, does it actually suit your players? Is it actually a tactic that will get you promoted or do you need to move to something more conventional?

What types of issues do you see in matches?

If your strikers dont face to the goal, do they have a plays with back to goal PPM? do they have a role where youve told them to play with their back to goal like target man?

17 hours ago, AshKing15 said:

What I mean to say is that no matter which tactic I use, the result is always a random and its stands same for the players.

Honestly, that is not so surprising in the lower leagues. The quality of your players at that level will determine the results as much as your actual tactics. The tactics will of course play a role, but the influence of a good player can be enormous at that level. The obvious example is getting your hands on a player with 19 pace when everyone else around him is much slower. He will eat defenses alive with pace like that at lower levels, because players simply do not have the attributes to deal with him. A lot of randomness comes from this. Another source is simply that crappy players make more mistakes or crappier choices. This adds a huge element of chance into a match. There is not really much you can do about that either. This is one of the reasons lower league managing is fun (or annoying, depends how you look at it). You  have noticed that you never know which players will play well. That is because the players simply are not great.

When I am managing a lower league side, I will look to build a tactic that exploits the very best from my players. I will not really look to build any particular style of play and impose it. I will say "well, Jimmy B Fast can really run, lets get him 1v1 on defenders with balls over the top" or "Tommy Shotsfromrange can really hit a ball outside the box, lets get him lots of chances to score" or "Billy Giantman is over 2m tall, can jump and is good with headers, better try to get the ball on his head as often as possible, I'll work on my set pieces and crosses". You see what I mean? There are plenty of examples. Lower Leagues is all about finding players who stand out in a small way, and trying to extract as much as you can from them.

You seem to be chopping and changing your tactics all the time, which is also not always good. If you do not have a good reason to change, then I'm not sure you can expect to work except by pure luck. There is not any further precise advice I can offer unless you want people to have a look at a specific tactic you try, or at the team to see what they would do to give you ideas.

I agree on most of the part but what about training ? I really don't think that training has much effect in game situations maybe that's too because the players ain't good enough. No matter what is being focused during training but players don't improve though it should not be like this.

On the tactic part just don't ask..as you said that I seem to be changing my tactics all the time because I don't get the desired results. I made a tactic with defensive approach so what I got in the match was like opponents getting hundreds of shots on my goal and my team not taking even a single shot on the goal even though possession is quite balanced and eventually one of the opponents shot get into the goal which is quite frustrating. The tactic is a 4-2-4 with two defensive midfielder and one of them being a Segundo Volante at attack duty two AM(LR) and a Striker also an attacking Central Midfielder to support attack still the results don't improve...

On 21/05/2019 at 00:13, AshKing15 said:

Also while using a bit defensive tactic the team was not creating any chances so I made the team train in attack mode for a week yet their performance in attacking third was below far

Basically i want to ask something. When you are a lower league side how do you know what kind of a side you are? Are you expected to outperform everyone or are you expected to struggle?

Maybe early in the season you are expected to struggle but over time your results started to pick up and now you are faced with sides who are playing defensively against you. The strategy you used may not be working but here again....I think people are overcomplicating things. Training for a week will not miraculously make your team more attacking.  Without knowing your tactic let's take a simple example.

A 4123 or even a 442 can be very good in the lower leagues. My favourite used to be the 442DM which was a lot of fun to use in the lower leagues because it was defensively robust, we out played most sides by playing expansive direct football. As teams attacked us we got behind them with quick counters with 2 pace strikers. I played on a standard defensive line with a low line of engagement. We kept things tight. When i realised teams were starting to play more defensively against us, all i did was move my defensive line higher and my line of engagement.  I started attacking sides more. Here i moved my team higher up the pitch, became more patient and started moving teams around. No real major change to the tactic apart from a role change to my AF who i turned into a Poacher.

When you are playing lower leagues, how well you can leverage your players strengths will determine how well you do. How well you adjust when your team starts being taken seriously is going to be the next step, and you don't need to overcomplicate things to get there. Training in "attack mode" won't suddenly make you more attacking. 

Okay being realistic that yes, training for a week in attack mode won't make my team attacking, but then, how does the training system works ? If my team is bad at set piece defending and I can't do much by even training for a complete week (the longest gap I ever get between matches, that too rarely), then what should I do ?

If you change your tactics a lot the familiarity will fall, for a while anyway, and depending how close the tactic was to you old one, may not much at all.

Train your set piece defending a lot, but depending on the set piece, put players that are actually good at what they do in the right positions helps a lot. Tall players with great jumping and heading will clear the ball off corners a lot. I first touch, high decision guy with good marking blocking the farm post, also hopefully with some heading ability. As to the free kicks, put your crappiest defenders in the wall, and put your best markers, tacklers and first touch, decision makers in behind.

Also, don't judge your players on what you see in the match engine. The goals may look stupid, maybe your close marking defense men may be 12 feet away from their mark, but that's just what's showing on screen.