Creating a Custom Domestic League. Is my idea too complicated?

ClaudiusSTFC

Hi there,

I'm wondering if it's possible to create the following league in the editor (I'm using FM17, even though I have 19). I've had a go, but I'm not convinced it'll be possible. It goes as follows -

20 teams split into 4 groups of 5. They play each team in their group twice and every other team from other groups once.

Top two of each group qualify for a 2nd group stage of 8 teams, split into 2 groups of 4. They play each other twice.

The 12 teams that finished 3rd-5th in their groups go into a league of their own, playing each other once, with the bottom 3 relegated.

Of the 8 teams that qualified for the second group stage the top two of each group qualify for the knock out stage semi-final.

The 4 teams that didn't qualify for the semi's go into a single group to play each other 1 more time to decide continental qualification, the bottom team missing out. (The four semi-finalists have already automatically qualified for continental competition due to being the final 4)

The semis are played over two legs, with the winners making the single legged final. I was also going to have a 3rd/4th play-off for prize money purposes.

I suspect my competition may be too complicated for the editor to create, but I thought it would be worth asking what others thought and if it is doable get advice on how to create it or something similar

Thanks

6 hours ago, ClaudiusSTFC said:

Hi there,

I'm wondering if it's possible to create the following league in the editor (I'm using FM17, even though I have 19). I've had a go, but I'm not convinced it'll be possible. It goes as follows -

20 teams split into 4 groups of 5. They play each team in their group twice and every other team from other groups once.

Top two of each group qualify for a 2nd group stage of 8 teams, split into 2 groups of 4. They play each other twice.

The 12 teams that finished 3rd-5th in their groups go into a league of their own, playing each other once, with the bottom 3 relegated.

Of the 8 teams that qualified for the second group stage the top two of each group qualify for the knock out stage semi-final.

The 4 teams that didn't qualify for the semi's go into a single group to play each other 1 more time to decide continental qualification, the bottom team missing out. (The four semi-finalists have already automatically qualified for continental competition due to being the final 4)

The semis are played over two legs, with the winners making the single legged final. I was also going to have a 3rd/4th play-off for prize money purposes.

I suspect my competition may be too complicated for the editor to create, but I thought it would be worth asking what others thought and if it is doable get advice on how to create it or something similar

Thanks

The bold part is what's problematic to me. I don't think you can't mix and match groups like that. The rest seems doable (emphasis on "seems"), albeit very complicated to make work with the numerous stages it would require and especially having multiple stages running in parallel. While I know some leagues have a playoff for continental competition both IRL and in the game (the Netherlands' Eredivisie does or at least used to, running in parallel with the relegation playoffs), I'm not too sure on how feasible it is within the editor. It exists so I can't cross that out, but not sure how it would work. Good job on coming up with a more complex system than the Belgian one! :lol:

3 hours ago, samba23 said:

All of that I think is doable except you may not be able to get the continental qualifiers to work as you want.

The bolded part you can do on "group settings" via the "fixture plan rules"

Yes, I think it is possible in the fixture plan rules.

I was just wondering how I could create it as a whole. I have the database set up ad ready to go. It is a fantasy league from a made up country, I also created 3 more countries, all based in Oceania, so that I could have a separate continental competition with them. It was a very arduous task, taking me several months to complete lol. At the moment, I've had to settle for a standard league competition.

On 20/05/2019 at 21:29, BMNJohn said:

The bold part is what's problematic to me. I don't think you can't mix and match groups like that. The rest seems doable (emphasis on "seems"), albeit very complicated to make work with the numerous stages it would require and especially having multiple stages running in parallel. While I know some leagues have a playoff for continental competition both IRL and in the game (the Netherlands' Eredivisie does or at least used to, running in parallel with the relegation playoffs), I'm not too sure on how feasible it is within the editor. It exists so I can't cross that out, but not sure how it would work. Good job on coming up with a more complex system than the Belgian one! :lol:

Haha, thanks. I know it was pretty complicated. 

Yes, you're right, getting the competitions to run parallel has been difficult. I tried to treat it like an international competition, with a qualifying round followed by the other rounds, but it didn't seem to like it. I wanted to find a system that made sure every team played the same amount of games or only play one more or less regardless of what they qualified for.

Archived