Full/Wing backs and footedness

I'm looking for feedback and opinions on how important it is for a DL/WBL to be left footed and for a DR/WBR to be right footed.

Does footedness matter for anything other than crossing?

What if you are running inverted wing backs? 

I've traditionally stood hard to the philosophy that left backs should be left footed and vice-versa. Yet i'm starting to think it might not actually be that important in the game (outside of crossing)

Has anyone looked into this deeply?

2 hours ago, SophJay182 said:

I'm looking for feedback and opinions on how important it is for a DL/WBL to be left footed and for a DR/WBR to be right footed.

Does footedness matter for anything other than crossing?

What if you are running inverted wing backs? 

Like everything else, depends on what you want to achieve. For example, you may want the right back (or - why not - winger) to deliver in-swinging crosses into the box (especially from a bit deeper area), then it's welcome for him to be left-footed. 

As for inverted wing-backs - which btw is one of my favorite roles - they do not necessarily need to have the opposite foot stronger. Again depends on what specifically you want from him. For example, if you play an IWB on attack (or support) duty and would like him to attempt shooting from distance more often (because he is good at that), then having the stronger foot opposite to his side of the pitch can be an advantage (left IWB with the stronger right foot, and vice versa). 

More dependent on player familiarity with position too. Varying degrees of footedness impacts as well. A left/right only player is more likely to struggle playing off his footed wing. 

Archived