Sports Interactive Community
yosraz

How to implement Ajax philosophy in my game?

Posted (edited)

Howdy from Norway!

I recently bought Football Manager 2019 and love it so far. I was on the fence because I did not like the previous version but the new edition has changed my mind. My playing experience with the series goes back to CM 01/02 and then FM. Countless hours have been spent to manage teams and win trophies. My favourite team is Liverpool FC but I have also a soft spot for AFC Ajax. In the later years I have begun to fancy LLM more and more. I like to be the little club which advances through the football pyramide and my question has to do with this aspect.

Right now I am managing Skeid IL which is located in the third tier in Norway (https://sortitoutsi.net/football-manager-2019/team/1387/skeid-fotball). I just finished the first season and ended 4th as predicted. It was a fun game and I managed to implement 4-2-4 in three different versions with good results. My main problem in FM18 was squad dynamics. This time I studied it thoroughly and I think I understand it better. In the first season I only had a reserve team alongside my main squad. This season I also have the U19 squad and a bunch of juniors on amateur contracts. My main goal is to advance to the highest tier, Tippeligaen. But I want to build a club from the bottom. Therefore I need advice and tips about how to implement the Ajax philosophy so I can develop my own youths so they can be considerable for the main sqaud. I have already the main setup ready, mainly U19 manager, assistant and coaches. Of course the facilities are not great and can be better. Skeid IL is known for their youth development and since the team is located in the capitol Oslo, I have access to a great player base. I have though competition from Vålerenga and Lyn which are also from Oslo. 9 of 10 times a talented player will choose Vålerenga since their are in the premier division.

So again, how can I lay the foundation for implementation of the Ajax philosophy. I think I will be a selling club for a long time so how to best develop my youths?

Edited by yosraz

@Cleon actually wrote a nice piece about this exact topic: 

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal! also wrote a great piece on youth development:

(I'm sure there are many more great pieces, these are two of the best, imo, and one's I regularly reread)

1 hour ago, yosraz said:

Howdy from Norway!

Howdy Norway :).

The first thing I'd recommend doing is ensuring your Board are willing to support your ambitions of youth development.  If they're not, they may not be very willing to listen to your requests to improve your youth and training facilities.  If developing youth isn't one of your Board's philosophies/requirements laid out when you joined the club, then I'd suggest when the Board offer you a new contract you get that clause included.  It can make their willingness to invest in youth a bit easier.

Other than that it's a cycle of generate income > invest in your facilities > develop the youngsters.  Training and playing matches at a relevant level are important for all players, however before the age of 18 Training takes precedence.  Be aware that your Training Facilities are used by everyone at your club - even your young players.  Junior Facilities (and Junior Coaching) are only used for the generation of your annual youth intake.  Your U18s coaching staff will be the ones who look to train the players in your youth team.

Also have a read through the Mentoring guide pinned to the top of the forum as that should help clarify how to go about that :thup:.

Posted (edited)
On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 13:03, gcoard said:

@Cleon actually wrote a nice piece about this exact topic: 

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal! also wrote a great piece on youth development:

(I'm sure there are many more great pieces, these are two of the best, imo, and one's I regularly reread)

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 14:15, herne79 said:

Howdy Norway :).

The first thing I'd recommend doing is ensuring your Board are willing to support your ambitions of youth development.  If they're not, they may not be very willing to listen to your requests to improve your youth and training facilities.  If developing youth isn't one of your Board's philosophies/requirements laid out when you joined the club, then I'd suggest when the Board offer you a new contract you get that clause included.  It can make their willingness to invest in youth a bit easier.

Other than that it's a cycle of generate income > invest in your facilities > develop the youngsters.  Training and playing matches at a relevant level are important for all players, however before the age of 18 Training takes precedence.  Be aware that your Training Facilities are used by everyone at your club - even your young players.  Junior Facilities (and Junior Coaching) are only used for the generation of your annual youth intake.  Your U18s coaching staff will be the ones who look to train the players in your youth team.

Also have a read through the Mentoring guide pinned to the top of the forum as that should help clarify how to go about that :thup:.

Thank you both for some great tips and links. I will let you know how things develop in my game :)

Edited by yosraz