Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Armistice

So for the first time since 07/08 Messi has scored below 20 goals

Posted (edited)

Lionel_Messi__History_Career_Stats.png

The season's not over obviously, but it's very unlikely he'll break the 20 goals mark, very poor numbers for a player who's best in the world imo. If he can't score for fun, then what chances do other players have?

Edited by Armistice

hopefully there will be improvements about this in fm20. it's kind of boring now, playing against barca and alike i guess. 

I always see low scoring numbers with Messi and Ronaldo in my saves. i think part of it is because their stats are hard to replicate as they are a standard above everybody else. Also I think its to do with the positions that they play. For example Messi most of the time plays as a goalscoring winger in real life but in FM this is not replicated very well. 

I've noticed that alot in FM with teams that play a front three. The middle striker will most of the time be the top scorer. Firmino will always score more goals than Salah, Suarez will always score more goals than Messi etc. 

FM hasn't been able to replicate high-scoring seasons for strikers in ages. Or unless your side is literally winning 8-0 every game in the league.

I don't know why, probably it's a side-effect of SI needing to keep scorelines reasonable for 98% of the teams and players, in order NOT to have, say, Richarlison regularly bag 20 goals per season while Messi and Ronaldo are reaching their usual tally (CR7 isn't a problem anymore as in Serie A he faces more defensive football).

I suspect it also has a lot to do with the ME's general tendencies. Depending on the chosen formation, especially by AI, teams don't really play like they should and the quality of their play suffers alongside the players' effectiveness.