4-4-2 - Modern (Control and Attack Space)

On 21/11/2019 at 07:45, kr10 said:

Anyone tried this on FM 20 yet? How is the ME overall and how does this tactic look on it?

I will try it on my save soon, Im at Stad Rennais and the sqaud have the players for a 4-4-2 and I have a good left side rifgt footed player to be the wide playmaker.

Both centre backs have decent composure and teamwork to play the high line and offside trap.

Might be lacking in striker department as they are both small and useless in the air but I have some money to build a team.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@kr10

Think Im the first one to test this in FM20, I was playing a 4-4-2 of my own, noticed I had a left winger who is right footed and creative, also noticed I have two centre backs with good team work and composure, so most the building blocks of this tactic were in this team.

This save is my journeyman save, I normally spend 3-5 years at each club.

Started at IFK Helsenfors in Finland midway through the season with them bottom of the Finnish Premier League. I took over and stamped my authority on the team and failed to win a game and got relegated. Somehow the board didn't sack me and I was able to rebuild and gain promotion the next year.

Then steadied the ship finishing around 6-8th for 3 more seasons before moving to Krasnodar.

Off to Russia then I took over from Oleg Luzny whi had left for the Arsenal job, hed done well winning the league with them 

I turn up to a sqaud that don't respect me and clearly overachieved in previous season, I finished 7th clinging onto my job as the board were expecting a title challenge.

I won the Russian Cup and made it out the Champions League group, just enough to keep my job.

Another season Im able to spend a fair amount (80 million) on players and build a team strong enough to win the Russian Premier League and another two Russian Cups.

Time to move on to my current club off to France to manage Stad Rennais 

They expect top half of table, Im midway though the season sitting in 4th. Had a bad run of results and that was the point I decided break out the Kr10 tactic.

Just thought id give some back ground as Ill be posting a lot of updates as this tactic will be my tactic for the remainder of the save.

Will later post a few sqaud screenshots, results and thoughts on how this tactic plays differently on FM20.

5 hours ago, thehig2 said:

@kr10

Think Im the first one to test this in FM20, I was playing a 4-4-2 of my own, noticed I had a left winger who is right footed and creative, also noticed I have two centre backs with good team work and composure, so most the building blocks of this tactic were in this team.

This save is my journeyman save, I normally spend 3-5 years at each club.

Started at IFK Helsenfors in Finland midway through the season with them bottom of the Finnish Premier League. I took over and stamped my authority on the team and failed to win a game and got relegated. Somehow the board didn't sack me and I was able to rebuild and gain promotion the next year.

Then steadied the ship finishing around 6-8th for 3 more seasons before moving to Krasnodar.

Off to Russia then I took over from Oleg Luzny whi had left for the Arsenal job, hed done well winning the league with them 

I turn up to a sqaud that don't respect me and clearly overachieved in previous season, I finished 7th clinging onto my job as the board were expecting a title challenge.

I won the Russian Cup and made it out the Champions League group, just enough to keep my job.

Another season Im able to spend a fair amount (80 million) on players and build a team strong enough to win the Russian Premier League and another two Russian Cups.

Time to move on to my current club off to France to manage Stad Rennais 

They expect top half of table, Im midway though the season sitting in 4th. Had a bad run of results and that was the point I decided break out the Kr10 tactic.

Just thought id give some back ground as Ill be posting a lot of updates as this tactic will be my tactic for the remainder of the save.

Will later post a few sqaud screenshots, results and thoughts on how this tactic plays differently on FM20.

Good to hear from you, keep me posted. I myself haven’t bought FM20 yet as I heard there were issues with the match engine (one on ones, shooting into side netting, etc).

Would be great if you could also post screenshots of the tactic, as the link to the FM base forums has expired 

@kr10Screenshots attached are my results since using the tactic, profiles of the Wide Play maker and the Advanced Forward, two players who typically excel in this tactic and also the tactic itself. I'm using the inverted version again because my play maker is right footed, left sided.

Finally a screenshot showing the league position, in 4th place set to get European Football so very happy with the results so far. 

Results and Player Performance so far

This tactic has continued to get good results against bigger teams, I resisted the temptation to go Tony Pulis vs Monaco & Lille and it paid off as we dominated winning both games convincingly. Last 20 minutes of tough games like these I take of the advanced forward for a DM, and take off the attacking winger for hard working Wide Midfielder too see out games. There have been a few disappointments, such as being thrashed in the Cup by Ligue 2 Sochaux, the 2-0 loss flatted us as we were never in the game. Embarrassing as I had fielded a full strength side. Also some big wins over the likes of Auxurre(5-1) Dijon (4-0) and FC Metz (4-0)

As expected my Playmaker gets very good ratings and hes involved in a lot of goals, 12 goals, 6 assists and average rating of 7.44 is fantastic, also the Advanced Forward has scored plenty of goals, 18 so far should be on course for a 20+ goal season. 

Thoughts on the Tactic in FM20 so far

its just effective in offence, defence actually works better due to low conversion rate of strikers and 1 on ones, I'm less concerned about balls over the top as the chance is often missed. I'm getting away with one of my centre backs having poor team work so for now the offside trap isn't as effective as it could be.

Squad Plans for Next Season

Still need some improvements, some players are not fully suited to this system and will be moved on. I need another centre back with high team work & composure along with other essential centre back stats. I need a left back whos hand going forward who overlaps the playmaker. This is because my current left back is on loan and hes already agreed to join Sampdoria. I will also be on the look out for a better goalkeeper and another striker whos better in the air and left footed.

Keeping an eye on Thibault Duflos, I'm looking to build the team around him because hes potentially a world class player and hes lighting up the league this season, however his vision, passing and composure need to improve to continue being my teams play maker as I aim to progress to challenging PSG and being competitive in Europe. 

On the plus side hes only 19 with high determination and a professional personality.

1100600_20200101231112_1.png

1100600_20200101230833_1.png

1100600_20200101230810_1.png

1100600_20200101214908_1.png

1100600_20200101231429_1.png

• 1 month later...
On 02/01/2020 at 05:38, thehig2 said:

Thats his season over, add a wide playmaker to the shopping list 

1100600_20200102000743_1.png

I decided to start an FM 20 save myself - the match engine Initially was horrible, but it has been a lot better after the update a few weeks ago. 

overall I’m happy with how the tactic is performing, but I’m getting a lot of inconsistency from the support striker role. He isn’t dropping deep and linking up at all with the other striker. I’ve given complete forward (support) a go as the PF and DLF don’t seem to be doing it for me. 

but overall I think this tactic works quite well on FM 20 also. The match engine post update plays out very similar to FM 19. 

how was your experience been since the last update?

thehig2 can you post a link to your tactic as the ones on opening page not working. 

The other striker situation have you tried a F9 or trequartesta? Either of these will drop deeper and should help out more, bit like firminho6at Liverpool. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm playing a save with Everton, will be long term and looking to build a the whole club based on this system and hopefully dominate world football. 

I'm towards the end of the first season, like most 1st seasons on Football Manager you cant change the squad too much as its hard to sell and buy players at the start of the game because clubs have done their transfer business.

I ended up selling Delph & Schneiderlin in January because they were both complaining about lack of first team football. 

Signed Younousse Sankhare on a free transfer to be my centre midfielder defend, hes has good tackling, work rate, strength, stamina & work rate, team work etc. Typical hard working athletic midfielder, hes in to cover Gbamin for the season as Gbamin start the game with a 10 month thigh injury.

Also signed Jack Vale from Blackburn on loan in January, hes an 18 year old right winger with relatively average all round stats. Got an optional future fee of £4.5 million if I want him, hes playing regular because Walcott is rarely fit.

Attached in this post is @kr10 tactic, the old link was for FM19 and its expired. 

Kr 10 4-4-2 inverted .fmf

So my favourite part of this game with the tactic, is shaping my squad to be perfect for this tactic. Lets look at the team and see what I need for next season 

GKs 

Jordan Pickford - real life I think Everton should look to sell him, however in game hes a great goalkeeper, only 26 and as long as bigger clubs dont turn his head hell be my number 1 keeper for a few years to come. 

Joao Virginia - 20 year old under study of Pickford, has potential to grow but not potential to ever challenge Pickford, however good enough to play games Europa League/Early Carbao & FA Cup ties. Hes happy to be back up doesnt complain about game time so hes my number 2 for years to come. 

DEFS (FULLBACKS) 

Djibiril Sidibe - Just like real life everton have a decsion to make on whether to buy him for 14 million, hes been my first choice ahead of Coleman most the season and can fill in right midfield when Theo Walcott picks up injurys. He has good all round with no weaknesses I'm tempted to buy him. 

Seamus Coleman - Similar stats to Sidibe, not quite as effective going forward and not as athletic. However a driven personality hes great for mentor groups for my younger players. Hes 31 and set to decline so I'm still undecided.

Jonjoe Kenny - On loan at Schalke04 and performing well and showing improvement in his game, hes around the same level as Coleman and Sidibe. There isn't room in the sqaud for 3 right backs and I want to keep Kenny. May look at selling Walcott and using Sidibe as a back up right winger, or even re training Kenny to be a right winger as he has the stats.  

Leighton Baines - Everton legend but hes 35 and on a high wage, might keep him for his personality in the squad and hes still good enough to be back up for Digne. 

Lucas Digne - One of my best players, 26 in his prime will be first choice left back for a few years yet, unless hes poached by a bigger club. 

DEFS (Centre Backs ) 

Yerry Mina - Solid centre back, very good physical stats and important for this tactic he has good composure & team work so he doesnt cock up the offside trap. Hes only 25 so hes in the same position as my other top players, hes staying unless bigger teams poach him.

Mason Holgate - Good partnership with Mina, has good composure & Team work as well as being a good defender, hes staying. 

Michael Keane - Better raw defender than Holgate & Mina, also better in the air. Lacks composure to be first choice in this system but his fine back up and a good option to bring on to see out games when I drop a little deeper. 

Jarrad Branthwaite - only 17, hes already more composed than Michael Keane and has the potential to my best defender, hes already getting games. Hes a good fit for the system and could be an elite defender. 

MIDS (LEFT Sided playermaker) 

Alex Iwobi - Retrained him from an attacking AML, hes learned the role very fast and is currently player of the season with 11 goals & 5 assists from 28 games. I though I'd have to spend a lot of money to get this position right, as its the most important position in the system, but Iwobi has stepped up and made the role his own.

Bernard - Not learned the role as quick, but being right footed a good dribbler and creative makes a good fit to provide competiton for Iwobi, would sell him for a good offer due to his high wage. 

MIDS (right Winger) 

Theo Walcott - Doing a job this season, missing a lot of games with little injuries though, no plans for him to stay after this season SELL 

Jack Vale - 18 year old kid on loan from Blackburn, decent stats for his age but low determination means he may not develop to the level he needs to, I'm unlikely to buy.

MIDS (Centre ) 

Andre Gomes - One of my best players, performs well in the midfielder support role. 

Younousse Sankhare - Done a job this season, was a free transfer and will look to sell for profit next season. 

Jean Phillip Gbamin - When he finally plays he should be one of my star players, very athletic, hard working and good defensive stats. Ideal centre midfielder defend to cover the left side of the pitch. 

Tom Davies - Unsure, hes average in all areas, not creative or defensively solid enough to excel in either midfield role, but for now hes adequate cover for either role, will look to replace but its not urgent.

Gylfi Sigurdsson - Found it hard to find a place in the team for him, hes under performed in the wide player role, and hes been average in the centre midfield support role, over 30, high wage, doesnt fit into system will be selling.

CFs 

Moise Kean - Been fantastic, scored 15 goals from 28 games. Hes young and improving hope I can keep hold of him. 

Dominic Calvert-Lewin - Been alright, like @kr10 has said the PF(s) role isn't working as it should, will look to try a DLF (s) or a false 9 if thats the case he might have to be sold. 

Richarlerson - He might have to go, would get a massive fee for him, currently hes not getting into my team. In pre season I'll experiment with the DLF /F9 role if that works he be a starter.

1100600_20200315222717_1.png

9 hours ago, thehig2 said:

So my favourite part of this game with the tactic, is shaping my squad to be perfect for this tactic. Lets look at the team and see what I need for next season 

GKs 

Jordan Pickford - real life I think Everton should look to sell him, however in game hes a great goalkeeper, only 26 and as long as bigger clubs dont turn his head hell be my number 1 keeper for a few years to come. 

Joao Virginia - 20 year old under study of Pickford, has potential to grow but not potential to ever challenge Pickford, however good enough to play games Europa League/Early Carbao & FA Cup ties. Hes happy to be back up doesnt complain about game time so hes my number 2 for years to come. 

DEFS (FULLBACKS) 

Djibiril Sidibe - Just like real life everton have a decsion to make on whether to buy him for 14 million, hes been my first choice ahead of Coleman most the season and can fill in right midfield when Theo Walcott picks up injurys. He has good all round with no weaknesses I'm tempted to buy him. 

Seamus Coleman - Similar stats to Sidibe, not quite as effective going forward and not as athletic. However a driven personality hes great for mentor groups for my younger players. Hes 31 and set to decline so I'm still undecided.

Jonjoe Kenny - On loan at Schalke04 and performing well and showing improvement in his game, hes around the same level as Coleman and Sidibe. There isn't room in the sqaud for 3 right backs and I want to keep Kenny. May look at selling Walcott and using Sidibe as a back up right winger, or even re training Kenny to be a right winger as he has the stats.  

Leighton Baines - Everton legend but hes 35 and on a high wage, might keep him for his personality in the squad and hes still good enough to be back up for Digne. 

Lucas Digne - One of my best players, 26 in his prime will be first choice left back for a few years yet, unless hes poached by a bigger club. 

DEFS (Centre Backs ) 

Yerry Mina - Solid centre back, very good physical stats and important for this tactic he has good composure & team work so he doesnt cock up the offside trap. Hes only 25 so hes in the same position as my other top players, hes staying unless bigger teams poach him.

Mason Holgate - Good partnership with Mina, has good composure & Team work as well as being a good defender, hes staying. 

Michael Keane - Better raw defender than Holgate & Mina, also better in the air. Lacks composure to be first choice in this system but his fine back up and a good option to bring on to see out games when I drop a little deeper. 

Jarrad Branthwaite - only 17, hes already more composed than Michael Keane and has the potential to my best defender, hes already getting games. Hes a good fit for the system and could be an elite defender. 

Alex Iwobi - Retrained him from an attacking AML, hes learned the role very fast and is currently player of the season with 11 goals & 5 assists from 28 games. I though I'd have to spend a lot of money to get this position right, as its the most important position in the system, but Iwobi has stepped up and made the role his own.

Bernard - Not learned the role as quick, but being right footed a good dribbler and creative makes a good fit to provide competiton for Iwobi, would sell him for a good offer due to his high wage. 

MIDS (right Winger) 

Theo Walcott - Doing a job this season, missing a lot of games with little injuries though, no plans for him to stay after this season SELL 

Jack Vale - 18 year old kid on loan from Blackburn, decent stats for his age but low determination means he may not develop to the level he needs to, I'm unlikely to buy.

MIDS (Centre ) 

Andre Gomes - One of my best players, performs well in the midfielder support role. 

Younousse Sankhare - Done a job this season, was a free transfer and will look to sell for profit next season. 

Jean Phillip Gbamin - When he finally plays he should be one of my star players, very athletic, hard working and good defensive stats. Ideal centre midfielder defend to cover the left side of the pitch. 

Tom Davies - Unsure, hes average in all areas, not creative or defensively solid enough to excel in either midfield role, but for now hes adequate cover for either role, will look to replace but its not urgent.

Gylfi Sigurdsson - Found it hard to find a place in the team for him, hes under performed in the wide player role, and hes been average in the centre midfield support role, over 30, high wage, doesnt fit into system will be selling.

CFs 

Moise Kean - Been fantastic, scored 15 goals from 28 games. Hes young and improving hope I can keep hold of him. 

Dominic Calvert-Lewin - Been alright, like @kr10 has said the PF(s) role isn't working as it should, will look to try a DLF (s) or a false 9 if thats the case he might have to be sold. 

Richarlerson - He might have to go, would get a massive fee for him, currently hes not getting into my team. In pre season I'll experiment with the DLF /F9 role if that works he be a starter.

Hey, thanks for posting this - I have actually completed 12-13 seasons with Milan on this tactic, and it is working well. During this time, I experimented and found a few tweaks to improve the performance of the tactic: 

1. change from PF(s) to complete forward (s) - if you have the right player. I found that this role, with the extra dribbling, helps to link up better with the AF

2. remove work ball into box, add PIs to shoot less often to all midfielders (work ball into box also reduces crosses, in this ME I found that the winger and full back would often get into great position to cross and not do so). 

3. remove “prevent short GK distribution” - with only 2 players in the attacking third, this instruction isn’t as effective - imo it is more for a 443/4231. 

Otherwise, this tactic does work well on FM 20. I reckon we should move this to the FM20 discussion so more people can have access to it

9 hours ago, thehig2 said:

GKs 

DEFS (FULLBACKS) 

DEFS (Centre Backs ) 

MIDS (right Winger) 

MIDS (Centre ) 

CFs 

In addition, try getting a left footed guy for both striker roles. I run the reverse and have 2 fight footed players, just tends to work better for me. The AF works the channels and hits first time shots, and the support striker picks it up deeper and cuts towards goal. 

it might be a good idea for you to build around your strikers (Moise Kean in particular), and go with left footed playmakers/wingers, since you are selling/not keeping most of your right footed ones anyway. 

I tend to go with the non inverted tactic as getting a top left footed striker with height, heading, finishing etc is super hard. Tends to be easier to get left footed wingers/playmakers as there are Fewer requirements.