4-4-2 - Modern (Control and Attack Space)

1 hour ago, Cain89 said:

Hello @kr10,

sorry for the english it's not my nattive. I really enjoy yours tactic with Aj auxerre with good results with ligue 1 and CL in 2023. As i understand you're also an Ac milan fan and i wonder if you try to recreate ancelotti's diamond or christmas tree?

No problem at all and glad to see you are enjoying it!! I actually started watching football during the Ancelotti era, so that is definitely a tactic I am quite familiar with. 

I tried to recreate a 4312/diamond tactic recently on FM but wasn’t able to get much success. Some people said the current match engine isn’t good for tactics that play mostly through the center, but I’m not sure. 

Additionally, I’m not a big fan of the diamond midfield on FM as the opponents get way too much space on the wings. Also, I don’t like contesting the center with so many players and having no natural width except for the fullbacks. The 442 with one player playing more centrally (WP) to me was just the right balance. 

Our new real life coach plays a 4312 as well (Giampaolo). Perhaps after watching Milan play this season, I can try a diamond tactic on FM 20. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

End of season 24/25 and finished 8th considering forecast 19th am more than happy. But the tight Leyton Orient board have only given me £39m to spend and a wage budget that allows £100k per week. My transfer revenue is set at 15% so even selling raises little cash. 

Not all doom and gloom though, I have an amazing scouting network and some gems on my shortlists. Going over the previous season, my main areas of concern are mainly lack of good cover and I do need a quality 3rd midfielder. 

Have sold or released a lot of average players that helped me get promoted 2 seasons earlier. Will post up screenshots of players bought in later. Promoted 2 players from my u23's (who defended there title) and 2 players out on long term loans also promoted. Players bought in are cover left and right back, cover right mid wide playmaker and currently working on my 3td midfielder. 

The tactic I think after playing 6 pre season games should be fluid and barring major injuries I am quietly confident of making  push for a Europa Cup spot. 

6 hours ago, thegoon65 said:

End of season 24/25 and finished 8th considering forecast 19th am more than happy. But the tight Leyton Orient board have only given me £39m to spend and a wage budget that allows £100k per week. My transfer revenue is set at 15% so even selling raises little cash. 

Not all doom and gloom though, I have an amazing scouting network and some gems on my shortlists. Going over the previous season, my main areas of concern are mainly lack of good cover and I do need a quality 3rd midfielder. 

Have sold or released a lot of average players that helped me get promoted 2 seasons earlier. Will post up screenshots of players bought in later. Promoted 2 players from my u23's (who defended there title) and 2 players out on long term loans also promoted. Players bought in are cover left and right back, cover right mid wide playmaker and currently working on my 3td midfielder. 

The tactic I think after playing 6 pre season games should be fluid and barring major injuries I am quietly confident of making  push for a Europa Cup spot. 

Thanks for the update - I think for you the key here is building with youth, and then reaching the CL so you can keep hold of these guys. I too played an LLM save with Stockport and found this the best way to go.

15% is awfully low. It’s quite easy on FM to make profit of the transfer market, but with this amount the only thing you can do is cut down on players with high wages and go from there. 

As a starting point, you want 2 top CBs, 3 fullbacks, 3 CMs, 3 guys who can play either wing/WP, and 3 forwards. 

Also add “injury risk” to the tactics screen, so you know this when selecting your 11 for each match. That and micromanaging the training schedules should help with injuries. 

Great progress this year given the expectation. I think Top 4 within 2 seasons is certainly possible 

Hi there, now then, just wanted to ask whether you have ever experienced anything like this using this tactic. This is with a new game, second season. First season did very well, finished 8th with 61 points.

Second season was going very well, then this...

EEF35402268CA7BFD2F23868CC21E45D68FCDFB9 (1920Ã1017)

I don't really understand it. 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

21 hours ago, timcliffsmith said:

Hi there, now then, just wanted to ask whether you have ever experienced anything like this using this tactic. This is with a new game, second season. First season did very well, finished 8th with 61 points.

Second season was going very well, then this...

EEF35402268CA7BFD2F23868CC21E45D68FCDFB9 (1920Ã1017)

I don't really understand it. 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

These type of sudden drops in form have happened to me a lot with many saves over the years, across different tactics. I wouldn’t say it is tactic related, but rather FM putting your team in bad form. What we can do as managers is increase the periods of good form, and try and get out of the periods of bad form quicker. Essentially, Man management. I do the following things to help:

1. Get assistant with high man management and make him do press conferences before games 

2. Individually praise players when they are in good form/play a good match 

3. Criticize players when they play poor and/or are in poor form

4. Bench players who are in poor form

5. Have team meetings during periods of good and bad form, saying keep it up/we can do much better etc

Still, these periods of form do happen... but with the above steps, you can make them occur less often and also get out of them more quickly. It is super frustrating and doesn’t make sense, but I guess this happens from time to time in real life also.

Have you been using the above steps consistently and often?

Trying to understand this. Am just entering pre season and have my own training set up. However I am wondering if you have devised a training routine to fit around the tactic? 

What I use is based on defensive set up for harder top 6 teams and attacking set up when playing anyone else at home. It's ok but I feel it doesn't quite fit around the tactic. 

I would love to try and build a training set up, to run alongside the brilliant tactic. 

1 hour ago, thegoon65 said:

Trying to understand this. Am just entering pre season and have my own training set up. However I am wondering if you have devised a training routine to fit around the tactic? 

What I use is based on defensive set up for harder top 6 teams and attacking set up when playing anyone else at home. It's ok but I feel it doesn't quite fit around the tactic. 

I would love to try and build a training set up, to run alongside the brilliant tactic. 

1. I tend to set my training schedules based on which unit (attack or defense) has the higher number of young players/players with improvement potential. If I have many wonderkids strikers/wingers etc, I’ll set more weeks to an attacking training setup (not match preparation, but rather the training sessions) to increase growth of my players. 

2. Otherwise, most weeks I will select “balanced” under training style.

3. Always one session of recovery and two sessions of rest the day after a game. Never any recovery/rest before games except in case of extreme fixture congestion.

4. Always 2 sessions of training per day, except when there is a 2-3 week break without intl duty, I’ll crank up the workload. 

5. Training intensity to “automatic” for individual players. All strikers training on complete forward. Winger on winger or inverted winger training depending on their weaknesses. CM will train on either CMs/CMd/B2B/DLPd, again based on weaknesses.  Other roles are on the same role that they are playing in the tactic. 

6. Additional individual focus for players with room to grow, only role training for players who have reached potential.

7. Appropriate PPMs as needed based on their role/abilities 

8. Recovery/rest the day before a game that is immediately after international training

Regarding match prep:

1. One session of attacking movement/defensive positioning before a game depending on opposition

2. 2 sessions before big games (direct rivals/CL game): one of the above + teamwork match prep 

3. “Big game prep” training before cup finals - the whole week will be dedicated to match 

Training gets auto generated even if you don’t assign to the assistant, but I go in every week to make sure the above guidelines are met. Takes more time but I don’t want unnecessary injuries and poor player development 

In addition, I group the players into units as follows:

1. Attacking unit: strikers, wingers, WP, attacking full back, support CM

2. Defensive unit: CB, support fullback, CM defend

If a support CM needs to work on his defense (for example when converting a young #10 for the tactic) I’ll move him to the defensive unit and train as either CMd or DLPd, with additional focus on defensive positioning or endurance. I once did this and had my star #10 improve from  3 to 12 marking over 7-8 years, making him a great CM support player. 

@kr10So its finally happend, the update were everything has fell into place and 7 seasons of shaping Newcastle around your tactic has paid off big.

So I have won the league with 4 games to spare, won the Carabao Cup, beating Chelsea 1-0 in the final, not bottling it. 

Got beaten in the FA cup and Champions League, outclassed by Juventus they are another level above me right now.

The tactic seen Erling Haaland score another 20+ goals, however hes in the pressing forward role, my advanced forward is a little wonderkid called Brazilian called Pablo Brilanthe, hes scored 12 from 24 this season. However hes only 5 foot 8 and misses out on goals from crosses but giving him a season with me as seen his value go from £17 million to £51 million, so I'll make some serious profit on him in the summer.

When this season ends, I'll decide whether I should move on, or look to challenge again and getting further in the champions league, I'm keen on moving abroad and building another title winning team. 

872790_20190808200010_1.png

872790_20190808200141_1.png

872790_20190808201739_1.png

13 hours ago, thehig2 said:

@kr10So its finally happend, the update were everything has fell into place and 7 seasons of shaping Newcastle around your tactic has paid off big.

So I have won the league with 4 games to spare, won the Carabao Cup, beating Chelsea 1-0 in the final, not bottling it. 

Got beaten in the FA cup and Champions League, outclassed by Juventus they are another level above me right now.

The tactic seen Erling Haaland score another 20+ goals, however hes in the pressing forward role, my advanced forward is a little wonderkid called Brazilian called Pablo Brilanthe, hes scored 12 from 24 this season. However hes only 5 foot 8 and misses out on goals from crosses but giving him a season with me as seen his value go from £17 million to £51 million, so I'll make some serious profit on him in the summer.

When this season ends, I'll decide whether I should move on, or look to challenge again and getting further in the champions league, I'm keen on moving abroad and building another title winning team. 

Well done mate. Glad to see your perseverance pay off. Dominant league season, and it’s only going to get better from here on out. After the early frustration, I’m happy you stayed committed to the tactic and continued to get the right players to make it work. Excellent job. 

You will certainly be remembered as a Newcastle legend now whether you chose to stay or seek pastures anew. 

If I were you I would stay and try to win the CL. In my saves PL teams always dominate the CL, so you can’t be far away. Getting the right AF with height and heading is going to make a big difference. Pellegri averaged a goal a game for me using the tactic, which shows the added benefit that height can bring. You can always make your wonderkid as the support striker and bring in a true bomber as the #9. 

Good luck in any case - did you have time to experiment with the one notch higher defensive line? This could also be a simple change that boosts your results, now that your team is approaching top levels 

With fm20 around the corner I hope this tactic works on there would be great to start LLM with it and watch as the builds around it.

Without doubt the best 442 I've used or played and not a cheat in sight totally loving it. 

@kr10another season done and another league title, this time winning the title on the final day at anfield.

Didn't make finals of either domestic cup, and lost on away goals in the Champions League semi final to Chelsea. 

Then as can see in the screenshots, Real Madrid come calling, I had to accept you dont reject Real Madrid no one does :) 

So I moved to Real Madrid to find them in horrific debt, and having several players on £300K+ per week who are over 33 (isco, Casimero, Varane etc) 

Also Madrid haven't won a trophy since 2021 (its now 2026) 5 years is a long time for Madrid to be trophy less, this club needs a big rebuilding job, so the 4-4-2 modern tactic is coming to take over la liga.

872790_20190811102845_1.png

872790_20190811102901_1.png

872790_20190811102914_1.png

872790_20190811103830_1.png

872790_20190811225746_1.png

4 hours ago, thehig2 said:

@kr10another season done and another league title, this time winning the title on the final day at anfield.

Didn't make finals of either domestic cup, and lost on away goals in the Champions League semi final to Chelsea. 

Then as can see in the screenshots, Real Madrid come calling, I had to accept you dont reject Real Madrid no one does :) 

So I moved to Real Madrid to find them in horrific debt, and having several players on £300K+ per week who are over 33 (isco, Casimero, Varane etc) 

Also Madrid haven't won a trophy since 2021 (its now 2026) 5 years is a long time for Madrid to be trophy less, this club needs a big rebuilding job, so the 4-4-2 modern tactic is coming to take over la liga.

872790_20190811102845_1.png

872790_20190811102901_1.png

872790_20190811102914_1.png

872790_20190811103830_1.png

872790_20190811225746_1.png

I was skeptical when I heard Real Madrid as I thought it would be too easy, but looks like the perfect time to take over. Definitely an intriguing and challenging rebuilding job the cards here. Early on, I think you’ll need to decide on your key players and see who is available on the market to see if you’ll go with the original or inverted tactic, and build from there 

1 hour ago, kr10 said:

I was skeptical when I heard Real Madrid as I thought it would be too easy, but looks like the perfect time to take over. Definitely an intriguing and challenging rebuilding job the cards here. Early on, I think you’ll need to decide on your key players and see who is available on the market to see if you’ll go with the original or inverted tactic, and build from there 

Its a bit of challenge most of Madrid's great players are to old and are leaving out of contract, and they havnt built for the future, team is fairly old.

The board only expect champions league qualification so you can see they have fallen a bit.

I'll post up the sqaud after a season update, but I went with the default tactic, Kingsley Coman is my right midfielder however hes not left footed.

Hes all I have right now that can play a wide playmaking role, I'll look into transfer market next summer to find the teams linch pin.

What did make me laugh is I sold Courtoius whos 34 to Arsenal for 50 million :).

managed to get the wage bill down from 5.8 million to 3.3 million, which is a little more sustainable for Madrid.

Wonder how long I'll keep this game going for, into season 9 and im enjoying it more than ever.

On 12/08/2019 at 18:23, thehig2 said:

Its a bit of challenge most of Madrid's great players are to old and are leaving out of contract, and they havnt built for the future, team is fairly old.

The board only expect champions league qualification so you can see they have fallen a bit.

I'll post up the sqaud after a season update, but I went with the default tactic, Kingsley Coman is my right midfielder however hes not left footed.

Hes all I have right now that can play a wide playmaking role, I'll look into transfer market next summer to find the teams linch pin.

What did make me laugh is I sold Courtoius whos 34 to Arsenal for 50 million :).

managed to get the wage bill down from 5.8 million to 3.3 million, which is a little more sustainable for Madrid.

Wonder how long I'll keep this game going for, into season 9 and im enjoying it more than ever.

You must keep going until you win at least 2 back to back CL, including a six trophy haul in the second season. That and finishing the league season unbeaten is imo the stage where you have beat the game. 

That being said, I tend to play for several seasons after that to perfect my team, dominating and shattering records is fun 

On 15/08/2019 at 19:10, kr10 said:

You must keep going until you win at least 2 back to back CL, including a six trophy haul in the second season. That and finishing the league season unbeaten is imo the stage where you have beat the game. 

That being said, I tend to play for several seasons after that to perfect my team, dominating and shattering records is fun 

I'll try, when I left the game for now (on holiday in real life currently) I was 1 point ahead of Barcelona after 20 games and in the latter stages of Europa League, should really be winning that with Real Madrid.

I'll be staying at Real until I at the very least get a La Liga, I want my manager to win leagues in all the countries I have loaded.

Very interesting tactic. I've tweaked it slightly and used it in my Vitoria Guimaraes game. They have a lot of good right footed playmaker types, so I had to mirror it. Great start to my second season. Only loss so far was a narrow 3-4 game away to Benfica.

Vitoria.thumb.jpg.c27122871cf552eadd4e2f8942fb5771.jpg

Vitoria_league.thumb.jpg.07b7976942c4c38bbe9c5acc61808999.jpg

10 hours ago, killerkoala said:

Very interesting tactic. I've tweaked it slightly and used it in my Vitoria Guimaraes game. They have a lot of good right footed playmaker types, so I had to mirror it. Great start to my second season. Only loss so far was a narrow 3-4 game away to Benfica.

Vitoria.thumb.jpg.c27122871cf552eadd4e2f8942fb5771.jpg

Vitoria_league.thumb.jpg.07b7976942c4c38bbe9c5acc61808999.jpg

what tweaks?

9 hours ago, fmste said:

what tweaks?

You can see them in the screen shot posted, but in short:

1. Changed full back roles to wing backs, to get slightly more width in the build up play.

2. Slightly shorter passing.

3. Added overlap instruction for side with playmaker.

4. Encouraged lower crosses.

5. Lowered def line, increased pressing, removed "Get stuck in" and added "Use tighter marking". Added tackle harder to central midfielders.

6. Increased mentality to attacking.

Download link if you want to have a look: TAF 4-4-2 Wide Playmaker Left.fmf

Edited by killerkoala

12 hours ago, killerkoala said:

1. Changed full back roles to wing backs, to get slightly more width in the build up play.

5. Lowered def line, increased pressing, removed "Get stuck in" and added "Use tighter marking". Added tackle harder to central midfielders.

cheers mate il have a test now 

Great pre season winning all 6 games and coinciding only 3 goals. League wise going ok played 7 won 5 lost 2. Both defeats to the big 6 teams home to City 3-2 and away to Chelsea 2-1. Now considering last season against these 2 I lost 5-0 and 4-1 am really happy with the improvement. 

Think if I can keep my main 16 players fit a real Euro Cup push is on, top 4 might be just beyond me this season but who knows. 

Definitely found that getting the tactic and players fluid b4 season start helps, loving this adventure and keeping me thinking every game👍👍👍

Just finished my second season with Vitoria, using the slightly tweaked mirrored version of the tactic. Managed to break into the top three, with only Benfica and Porto above me.

The combined assist count for the left backs is impressive. 21 assists in total.

Squad_Vitoria.thumb.jpg.62ffa1db7310c4a46cbea39da0f64da9.jpg

On 21/08/2019 at 11:13, killerkoala said:

Thanks for posting this, interesting to see the changes you have made. From your post below, the results have certainly been good (whether it’s better or worse than the original is hard to say at this point, but awesome job innovating in any case).

i had a few thoughts on the above changes:

1. A wing back behind an attacking winger to be seems like overkill, as they will both try to “get further forward” and provide width, resulting in a large amount of space being left behind. Imo you would be better off with a fullback who stays a little deeper, creating vertical separation between the 2. The WB behind the WP should be ok on paper, but it is worth noting that WB(a) has dribble more as an instruction, so you’d need the right player for it. The FB(a) instead moves more without the ball

2. I experimented with this in the last, but it greatly reduced a key feature of this tactic: the cross field ball from the WP to the winger. In my experience, this was one of the key “pre-assist” moves of this tactic, and my favorite one to watch. 

3. This instruction reduces the dribbling of your WP - if he is slow/a poor dribbler, it could work, but once you get better players in this role, it could hamstring his impact. I’ve found that WPs with high vision still get the ball to the attacking fullback consistently.

4. Should be fine for a shorter forward. Have you tried “whipped crosses”?

5. Attacking mentality with lower defensive line will result in the same D line as control mentality at default. So this isn’t an issue.

theory wise, my main concern was with “use tighter marking”. The offside trap is contingent upon a zonal marking scheme (you want the defense to be in a line and stepping up together, rather than being pulled away by tighter marking individual players). 

6. Regarding attacking mentality, what was the rationale behind this? From what I understand, compared to positive/control, attacking will increase the following by a notch: passing length, defensive line, width, default player mentality, tempo, and creative freedom. 

From the TIs, you have reduced the defensive line, passing length, team width, and creative freedom by a notch - the resulting play will be identical to a positive/control mentality in all the above aspects as a result.

Just something to think about - perhaps a control mentality on default setting is really what you are after. A blank canvas also tends to be easier to tweak and adjust 

On 22/08/2019 at 12:33, thegoon65 said:

Great pre season winning all 6 games and coinciding only 3 goals. League wise going ok played 7 won 5 lost 2. Both defeats to the big 6 teams home to City 3-2 and away to Chelsea 2-1. Now considering last season against these 2 I lost 5-0 and 4-1 am really happy with the improvement. 

Think if I can keep my main 16 players fit a real Euro Cup push is on, top 4 might be just beyond me this season but who knows. 

Definitely found that getting the tactic and players fluid b4 season start helps, loving this adventure and keeping me thinking every game👍👍👍

Thanks for the update, keep me posted on your progress 

@kr10So finished my first season since taking the tactic from Newcastle to Real Madrid, despite having to sell most of Madrids best players the sqaud was still too good, and some players perfect for the tactic. 

One thing I had never encounted until now is my centre backs got 16 goals in the league between them, all from corners. Could be just the general ability of my centre backs. 

Won La Liga at a counter with 103 points, and won the Copa Del Rey beating Barcelona in the final, hopefully Real Madrid dont have bottle syndrome like Newcastle did. 

Big Disappointment of the season was loosing in the Europa League Quarter final to Manchester City, drew 2-2 at home then got humiliated 6-0 at the ethiad. 

In my second season now with Real Madrid, chasing a champions league trophy before moving on, not signed any players other than making Erling Haaland (striker I loaned from Newcastle last season) permanent for £50 million.

Looking good in the league, and cruised through a difficult group in champions league beating Dortumand, Napoli and Lyon. If I win everything here I'll move on to another league. 

I checked Newcastle progress without me, they now play a 4-1-2-3, with a defensive midfielder. They finished 7th and didn't win a trophy, Zinedane Zidane my replacement has been sacked halfway through this current season as Newcastle were 17th. Its clear the team is set up for the 4-4-2 modern tactic and the AI managers trying different systems isn't working, because there arnt any proper wingers/inside forwards or defensive midfielders in the squad.

Gotta admit it was tempting to go back to Newcastle after Zidane was sacked, but I've only been away for a year and I'm starting to get attached to Real Madrid anyway, they have lots of great players in their under 19s and B team with the potential to fit in the system and be world class. 

On 28/08/2019 at 06:33, kr10 said:

Thanks for posting this, interesting to see the changes you have made. From your post below, the results have certainly been good (whether it’s better or worse than the original is hard to say at this point, but awesome job innovating in any case).

i had a few thoughts on the above changes:

1. A wing back behind an attacking winger to be seems like overkill, as they will both try to “get further forward” and provide width, resulting in a large amount of space being left behind. Imo you would be better off with a fullback who stays a little deeper, creating vertical separation between the 2. The WB behind the WP should be ok on paper, but it is worth noting that WB(a) has dribble more as an instruction, so you’d need the right player for it. The FB(a) instead moves more without the ball

2. I experimented with this in the last, but it greatly reduced a key feature of this tactic: the cross field ball from the WP to the winger. In my experience, this was one of the key “pre-assist” moves of this tactic, and my favorite one to watch. 

3. This instruction reduces the dribbling of your WP - if he is slow/a poor dribbler, it could work, but once you get better players in this role, it could hamstring his impact. I’ve found that WPs with high vision still get the ball to the attacking fullback consistently.

4. Should be fine for a shorter forward. Have you tried “whipped crosses”?

5. Attacking mentality with lower defensive line will result in the same D line as control mentality at default. So this isn’t an issue.

theory wise, my main concern was with “use tighter marking”. The offside trap is contingent upon a zonal marking scheme (you want the defense to be in a line and stepping up together, rather than being pulled away by tighter marking individual players). 

6. Regarding attacking mentality, what was the rationale behind this? From what I understand, compared to positive/control, attacking will increase the following by a notch: passing length, defensive line, width, default player mentality, tempo, and creative freedom. 

From the TIs, you have reduced the defensive line, passing length, team width, and creative freedom by a notch - the resulting play will be identical to a positive/control mentality in all the above aspects as a result.

Just something to think about - perhaps a control mentality on default setting is really what you are after. A blank canvas also tends to be easier to tweak and adjust 

Thanks for your input.

1. Though this might be true in theory, I haven't really seen it become an issue in matches. And the payoff from the extra width is tremendous, especially in the form of late overlaps resulting in high quality crosses.

2. True. It still occurs, but to a lesser degree. From the match analysis, the long ball towards the winger seems to occur around 8-10 times per match.

3. Also true. The reason I changed it was to get the most out of my left backs, which relative to the league have very good attacking attributes. And my playmaker is much better at passing than at dribbling. My first choice left back tops the league in both avg.rating and assists at the moment. But yes, it does invite a slightly different approach.

4. None of my forwards are big guys, so low crosses works well. Whipped crosses seem to miss the target too often, unfortunately.

5. I get your point regarding "use tighter marking", and I tried removing it. It does indeed seem to work better. "Get stuck in" is still removed though, as it just gives away too many fouls.

Firstly, I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading this thread. Appreciate the efforts the creator and players have brought to this - and the number of updates over each season.

I'm looking for a tactic to give some variety to my game play and liked the way the opening post aimed to bring goals from different areas. How are people finding this? I'm greedy and like the idea of strikers, wingers and midfielders contributing to the goal tally, but some of the screenshots show few goals coming from non-strikers. Are there good contributions from across the park?

I'm also looking for variety of goals - I'm looking for the holy grail - crosses and threaded through balls, long shots and clever one twos etc. I suspect this is hard to deliver, but for the tactics I've tried, they seem to go one way - so many crosses, but nothing through the middle - long shots due to lack of space, with no headers in sight. It sounds like many of the goals come from crosses here - are people seeing other assist types? Is anyone able to show the goal analysis from the end of the season please?

My FM history seems to use narrow tactics, so I have tried using AM's and wide players this year. The number of AM's I have mean changing to a 4-4-2 is a big leap - hence my questions! It will require a big re-build.

My last query - I'm a not too well known team who is doing well in the Dutch top flight. My squad is not exactly talented and my annual budget is about £7 mill. Has anyone tested on a lower league team, or a lower rep league. Sadly, I'm not seeing the billions in TV money like the Premiership! I'm not sure the quality of player I can bring in will be good enough for this level.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, swedishchef_uk said:

Firstly, I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading this thread. Appreciate the efforts the creator and players have brought to this - and the number of updates over each season.

I'm looking for a tactic to give some variety to my game play and liked the way the opening post aimed to bring goals from different areas. How are people finding this? I'm greedy and like the idea of strikers, wingers and midfielders contributing to the goal tally, but some of the screenshots show few goals coming from non-strikers. Are there good contributions from across the park?

I'm also looking for variety of goals - I'm looking for the holy grail - crosses and threaded through balls, long shots and clever one twos etc. I suspect this is hard to deliver, but for the tactics I've tried, they seem to go one way - so many crosses, but nothing through the middle - long shots due to lack of space, with no headers in sight. It sounds like many of the goals come from crosses here - are people seeing other assist types? Is anyone able to show the goal analysis from the end of the season please?

My FM history seems to use narrow tactics, so I have tried using AM's and wide players this year. The number of AM's I have mean changing to a 4-4-2 is a big leap - hence my questions! It will require a big re-build.

My last query - I'm a not too well known team who is doing well in the Dutch top flight. My squad is not exactly talented and my annual budget is about £7 mill. Has anyone tested on a lower league team, or a lower rep league. Sadly, I'm not seeing the billions in TV money like the Premiership! I'm not sure the quality of player I can bring in will be good enough for this level.

Thanks again.

Here's a squad view from January in my third season with Vitoria in Portugal. I would equate that with managing Everton or a similar team in the Premiership. Upper half of the table, but still limited compared to the top teams. My tweaked version of the tactic has worked quite well, and as you can see, there's quite a good spread both in terms of goals and assists. You should see a similar spread with the original posted tactic, though with slightly fewer assists from the left, and possibly more from the right wing.

Vitoria_squad_view.jpg

15 hours ago, swedishchef_uk said:

Thanks again.

Thanks for your input and for explaining what you are looking for. I can certainly relate to what you are saying, variety and unpredictability is so much more fun than seeing the same types of goals again and again. While building the tactic, I tried to create 3 distinct build up paths to goal - left, right, center, all with slightly different features (overlap vs direct play, long vs short passing, etc). In that regard, I do think that this tactic  will be an excellent fit with your vision. 

To answer some of your questions: 

1. In terms of assists, crossing I would say is the largest contributor (from the attacking winger and overlapping attacking full back). That being said, the crosses are spread across two players (mentioned above), across both flanks, and feature different build up (winger is more direct, usually in counter situations, while the full back relies on overlapping past the midfield, which happens more in possession situations). So even though it is crossing heavy, there is variety in how this occurs. 

2. Other forms of assists I have seen

- through ball from WP to winger or one of the strikers (range of passing lengths, usually mid/long), including beautiful cross field balls and passes to the overlapping fullback 

- combination short passing between the strikers (train ppm plays one twos to encourage this)

- med/long range passing from the CMs to the striker 

so there is definitely variety in the assists and build up, even if your winger and full back will usually end up with the most assists 

3. In terms of goals, I would say the advanced forward will be the leading scorer (I can’t stress this enough - make sure he is tall, short strikers just don’t do as well for me). My support striker and attacking winger also get a fairly large amount of goals. The WP will also chip in. The CMs in this tactic will play a more restrained role, so don’t expect too many goals from them. 

Overall, I do believe that you will get what you are after with this tactic. You can convert one AM to a WP, and perhaps another one who is reasonably well rounded to a CMs. Definitely need to invest in wingers though. 

15 hours ago, swedishchef_uk said:

Thanks again.

On 28/08/2019 at 16:00, thehig2 said:

@kr10So finished my first season since taking the tactic from Newcastle to Real Madrid, despite having to sell most of Madrids best players the sqaud was still too good, and some players perfect for the tactic. 

One thing I had never encounted until now is my centre backs got 16 goals in the league between them, all from corners. Could be just the general ability of my centre backs. 

Won La Liga at a counter with 103 points, and won the Copa Del Rey beating Barcelona in the final, hopefully Real Madrid dont have bottle syndrome like Newcastle did. 

Big Disappointment of the season was loosing in the Europa League Quarter final to Manchester City, drew 2-2 at home then got humiliated 6-0 at the ethiad. 

In my second season now with Real Madrid, chasing a champions league trophy before moving on, not signed any players other than making Erling Haaland (striker I loaned from Newcastle last season) permanent for £50 million.

Looking good in the league, and cruised through a difficult group in champions league beating Dortumand, Napoli and Lyon. If I win everything here I'll move on to another league. 

I checked Newcastle progress without me, they now play a 4-1-2-3, with a defensive midfielder. They finished 7th and didn't win a trophy, Zinedane Zidane my replacement has been sacked halfway through this current season as Newcastle were 17th. Its clear the team is set up for the 4-4-2 modern tactic and the AI managers trying different systems isn't working, because there arnt any proper wingers/inside forwards or defensive midfielders in the squad.

Gotta admit it was tempting to go back to Newcastle after Zidane was sacked, but I've only been away for a year and I'm starting to get attached to Real Madrid anyway, they have lots of great players in their under 19s and B team with the potential to fit in the system and be world class. 

Cheers mate thanks for the update. Developing young players is always fun, especially when you have a blueprint you are working with. 

My biggest gripe however with fm and new gens is the big match attribute. There are a ridiculously high number of good regens who don’t enjoy big matches. For me, regardless of how good they are, I always sell them if they have this. The issue is that you can’t see this until they are 22.

In any case, keep us posted on the progress! I think you should win a couple CLs before moving on. Italy has to be the next step

@kr10Ended up winning  the league and Copa Del Ray for a second year running with Madrid, and won the Champions League, I only signed a two year deal with Madrid and didn't sign an extension, my job here was done.

Next stop is Italy and due to my Manager reputation being so high I got the Juventus job, similar to Madrid they have fallen some what over the last few seasons, going 3 years without a trophy and an ageing squad.

I'm not anticipating a big challenge here, the squad is still way stronger than anything else in Serie A, and I've got a good shout of getting another Champions League with them in the 3 seasons I'll be here (length of contract signed) 

Updates likely to be a little more brief as the tactic is running nicely now I'm managing top teams, this game is a long term one though and I may return to Newcastle or go into international management.

Looking below at the start I've had with Juventus I'm likely to have any trouble bringing the title back. 

Despite the lack of challenge at this point of the game, I'm still loving it because I've endured years of perseverance and underachievement to get this level, so its time to let the trophies role in.

872790_20190905110958_1.png

Took over Genoa last season when they were near bottom and managed a respectable 10th place.  Fast forward to my first full season in charge and well.. 

Board just wanted top half and a media prediction was of 7th. Also manage to reach the Semi Final of the cup before losing to AC Milan.

207021908_Screenshot2019-09-07at16_18_32.thumb.png.60d2e30967e2ef330c456c7710f5e80b.png

Reckon I would of done better but I got proper stitched up with 5 games in 12 days in the run in..

Some stats from the playmaker and strikers..

584464213_Screenshot2019-09-07at16_19_18.thumb.png.f0dd7cbf68c0b4c76c7fe5adbcc6755f.png1068861553_Screenshot2019-09-07at16_19_28.thumb.png.6a03cdc6e87310460a71c605dda99050.png383233041_Screenshot2019-09-07at16_19_32.thumb.png.563aff28b5b442d342fc13bee4b45d3d.png

1930867199_Screenshot2019-09-07at16_19_01.thumb.png.35427b2b2d8e309944be0e0568efe115.png

Edited by Sinbad7104

On 08/08/2019 at 21:17, thehig2 said:

Hi hig2, can I ask you about your experience of this? I really enjoy this tactic but find that I go on terrible runs with it. Playing Cardiff, first season 49pts, second season 48pts, third season struggling down in 15th coming up to Christmas, and this is despite (on paper at least) improving the team each season. Just wanted to ask if you experienced similar things? If so, then I'm happy to stick with this and keep plugging away. I've found that I can tweak this tactic and win too easily (simply change midfielders to DLP Defend and Box-to-Box and PF to Attack) , but I want a tactic that is more 'realistic', this tactic gives me a real sense of achievement when I win, as I know that those bad runs are out there. It makes watching the match highlights more exciting. How did the six seasons go before you won the league in the seventh?

Thanks.

On 09/09/2019 at 10:37, timcliffsmith said:

Hi hig2, can I ask you about your experience of this? I really enjoy this tactic but find that I go on terrible runs with it. Playing Cardiff, first season 49pts, second season 48pts, third season struggling down in 15th coming up to Christmas, and this is despite (on paper at least) improving the team each season. Just wanted to ask if you experienced similar things? If so, then I'm happy to stick with this and keep plugging away. I've found that I can tweak this tactic and win too easily (simply change midfielders to DLP Defend and Box-to-Box and PF to Attack) , but I want a tactic that is more 'realistic', this tactic gives me a real sense of achievement when I win, as I know that those bad runs are out there. It makes watching the match highlights more exciting. How did the six seasons go before you won the league in the seventh?

Thanks.

They went as you descirbed, I had several years finishing mid table with a team capable of better, and endless bottling of Cup finals.

I actaully did make tweaks, I had my goal keeper on sweeper keeper attack, he was awesome at the stats needed for it and created more.goals than he cost with his risk taking.

I also played more conservative than the orignal tactic with my defensive line pulled back and my left back on wing back support.

This stopped over the top balls killing me

I went on several horrible runs, all I did to turn it around was do everything possible to limit morale dropping(abusing praising conduct, other positive interactions etc)

At the point I made the conservative changes the long loosing runs stopped, because I wasn't conceeding enough goals, a poor run would then be a couple narrow losses by one goal and a couple 0-0s.

The only changes I made to the tactic were defensive in reaponse to analysing were im conceeding goals from.(apart from keeper I had a keeper too well suited to being on attack duty I had to oblige)

Offensively I never changed anything 

@kr10 won the league and champions league with Juventus, great season only disappointment was immediately crashing out other coppa italia, a competition i'll look to win this coming season. 

Not much to talk with the tactic, the players are very high ability and all near perfectly suited to the tactic so I'm steam rolling most teams occasionally I'll move the defensive line back a notch if I start conceding goals from balls over the top, I've also always had the left back on wing back support, this is always worked better for me.

Below is a screenshot of my manager career, shows how epic this save is getting. 

Two years left at Juventus, goals are to win as much as possible and leave at end of contract, breaking away from club football, might make my manager take a year out the game then see what jobs are out there. 

At that point i'd be open to International Management, if I stay in club management I'd like to stay in Italy and betray Juventus and move to a rival club and attempt to over throw them.

PSG is always an option and I'd be open to managing in China for that $$$

872790_20190911173108_1.png

Hi hig2,

Thanks for the response. I'm now into my 4th season. The 3rd season really turned around and I scraped 7th and qualified for Europa League. This season, after 13 games, I'm in 6th with a game in hand. If I win that, I go 4th. I haven't tweaked anything because I actually like that it's taking time to get success. The improvement I've seen this season is probably the biggest jump. The new strike-force of Mitrovic and Nketiah has made a real difference. Plus, I have an awesome youth prospect coming through in the centre of defence. I'm finding that this tactic is about getting the players in. I look at the teams above me (the big boys) and they still have players that, at the moment, I can only dream of. I'm liking the slow build.

15 hours ago, thehig2 said:

@kr10 won the league and champions league with Juventus, great season only disappointment was immediately crashing out other coppa italia, a competition i'll look to win this coming season. 

Not much to talk with the tactic, the players are very high ability and all near perfectly suited to the tactic so I'm steam rolling most teams occasionally I'll move the defensive line back a notch if I start conceding goals from balls over the top, I've also always had the left back on wing back support, this is always worked better for me.

Below is a screenshot of my manager career, shows how epic this save is getting. 

Two years left at Juventus, goals are to win as much as possible and leave at end of contract, breaking away from club football, might make my manager take a year out the game then see what jobs are out there. 

At that point i'd be open to International Management, if I stay in club management I'd like to stay in Italy and betray Juventus and move to a rival club and attempt to over throw them.

PSG is always an option and I'd be open to managing in China for that $$$

872790_20190911173108_1.png

Thanks for the update. I only ever manage Milan (except for one LLM save), because I always lose interest with other clubs, no emotional connect. Considering how bad Milan are in real life, this is my only chance to see them win. 

That being said, unlike the premier league, serie a becomes awfully weak a few seasons in, so the entire league campaign becomes a no contest. At this point, you end up playing just for those few CL knockout games a year, which isn’t nearly as exciting as the journey to the top. 

I think a good challenge would be to take up Ajax next, and try and win CL with them. I’ve always had a soft spot for Ajax, the challenge imo will be holding onto your best players since the Dutch league has a low rep. 

9 hours ago, timcliffsmith said:

Hi hig2,

Thanks for the response. I'm now into my 4th season. The 3rd season really turned around and I scraped 7th and qualified for Europa League. This season, after 13 games, I'm in 6th with a game in hand. If I win that, I go 4th. I haven't tweaked anything because I actually like that it's taking time to get success. The improvement I've seen this season is probably the biggest jump. The new strike-force of Mitrovic and Nketiah has made a real difference. Plus, I have an awesome youth prospect coming through in the centre of defence. I'm finding that this tactic is about getting the players in. I look at the teams above me (the big boys) and they still have players that, at the moment, I can only dream of. I'm liking the slow build.

Nice to see that it turned around. After going through all the responses it seems like the aggressive defensive nature of the tactic (high line high press) is better suited for Europa league teams or better, as it requires good mental and physical stats.

I also agree that for this tactic it’s critical to get the right profile of players in, in terms of their attributes and preferences. It makes it quite hard to build (as compared to say, a generic 433 where most people can be fitted in). I’ve seen countless fight footed wingers, playmakers, and wrong footed strikers who I just can’t use, despite being world class. It’s frustrating at times, but with the right players I’ve noticed results can be very good on both ends of the pitch. 

The two most important players to me for this tactic are the advanced forward and winger. Try focusing your resources on improving here to see the biggest jumps in performance 

On 12/09/2019 at 10:13, kr10 said:

Nice to see that it turned around. After going through all the responses it seems like the aggressive defensive nature of the tactic (high line high press) is better suited for Europa league teams or better, as it requires good mental and physical stats.

I also agree that for this tactic it’s critical to get the right profile of players in, in terms of their attributes and preferences. It makes it quite hard to build (as compared to say, a generic 433 where most people can be fitted in). I’ve seen countless fight footed wingers, playmakers, and wrong footed strikers who I just can’t use, despite being world class. It’s frustrating at times, but with the right players I’ve noticed results can be very good on both ends of the pitch. 

The two most important players to me for this tactic are the advanced forward and winger. Try focusing your resources on improving here to see the biggest jumps in performance 

Hi, I must admit that I've become frustrated with this tactic in the past (due to the bad runs) and either tweaked it or used something else. However, as with many recent incarnations of FM, it is too easy to find a league-busting tactic. I keep coming back to your tactic because it has a really nice balance to it. Each game has a sense of jeopardy. Even when I'm on a good run, there's always a edge. Other tactics, even though you may get the odd bad result, you know that you will always get success, pretty much no matter the players. With this tactic, having the players really counts. And key injuries really hurt. Fourth season now, I'm currently 4th, but I feel we are overachieving at the moment and will be happy as long as we can improve on last season's points tally. That's how I'm measuring success. Finding it very satisfying. Thanks, I must say that without this tactic, I probably would have given up on FM19 by now. I'll keep you updated.

CARDIFF UPDATE:

So, I finished the 4th season and this is what happened...

CE40FFD7C9A67EB37A4A24176427206F89338D54 (1920Ã1017)

To be fair, I was absolutely delighted with this. A big improvement on last year. The points tallies have gone as follows: Season 1- 49; 2 - 48; 3 - 61; 4 - 77. I did not think i was going to be able to overhaul Chelsea, but then I went on a great run towards the end of the season.

CE5071FD76A0D5EE2557B92E799950154C0838C4 (1920Ã1017)

As you can see, I had a little sticky patch in Feb/March but then all came good. Generally very solid in defence, apart from the odd mad game, which is how it should be. Below is my current first choice eleven.

D66FF44BC2CC46825A4AEE359590ED1B032068D4 (1920Ã1017)

George is a cracking regen youth player, but all the rest have been bought. Only Ralls remains of the original squad. If you're wondering why the tactic is called '4-4-2 Modern Tim', it is just because I rejigged the corners for both attacking and defending. No cheat routines, just packed more in to defend and adjusted some of the 'stay back if necessary' for the attacking.

Really looking forward to our first Champions League campaign. I'm hoping that I can now attract some top quality players.

Thanks again kr10 for the tactic. And hig2, you said it took you seven seasons with Newcastle, I think next season will be asking too much, but I'm hoping to pip you and do it in six. 

Edited by timcliffsmith

8 hours ago, timcliffsmith said:

CARDIFF UPDATE:

So, I finished the 4th season and this is what happened...

CE40FFD7C9A67EB37A4A24176427206F89338D54 (1920Ã1017)

To be fair, I was absolutely delighted with this. A big improvement on last year. The points tallies have gone as follows: Season 1- 49; 2 - 48; 3 - 61; 4 - 77. I did not think i was going to be able to overhaul Chelsea, but then I went on a great run towards the end of the season.

CE5071FD76A0D5EE2557B92E799950154C0838C4 (1920Ã1017)

As you can see, I had a little sticky patch in Feb/March but then all came good. Generally very solid in defence, apart from the odd mad game, which is how it should be. Below is my current first choice eleven.

D66FF44BC2CC46825A4AEE359590ED1B032068D4 (1920Ã1017)

George is a cracking regen youth player, but all the rest have been bought. Only Ralls remains of the original squad. If you're wondering why the tactic is called '4-4-2 Modern Tim', it is just because I rejigged the corners for both attacking and defending. No cheat routines, just packed more in to defend and adjusted some of the 'stay back if necessary' for the attacking.

Really looking forward to our first Champions League campaign. I'm hoping that I can now attract some top quality players.

Thanks again kr10 for the tactic. And hig2, you said it took you seven seasons with Newcastle, I think next season will be asking too much, but I'm hoping to pip you and do it in six. 

This is wonderful to hear - as was the case with hig2, I’m quite emotionally invested in both yours saves since you are both taking the time and effort to testing this tactic. 4th in your 4th season is certainly a nice trajectory. 

Winning in season 6 is certainly an attainable objective, with the right players brought in. Now, with CL football, you can aim to bring in genuine world class players into your setup. 

Good luck and keep me posted. 

PS- if you find yourself getting too many yellow cards, you can remove the “get stuck in” instruction. My CMs in my previous save were great tacklers (but were good in positioning anticipating and work rate) so I removed this instruction myself. 

Well, season five went like this...

469691DDABCA84FDF46E66D9CF86EBBA19291D6E (1141Ã1008)

I really didn't think it was going to happen, but it did. Again, I finished the season like a train.

9F4CFDD523E539EAE13DA235F2B352CCB69B8E0C (1141Ã1008)

Again, a little dodgy spell cost me two cups, but then after that. Here is my first choice team, if you're interested. The key game was Man City away. I had key injuries and my team was exhausted from the fixture run. I was sure that was where I was going to lose it. Man city out-chanced two to one, but David Brooks swept in a half-volley from the edge of the area and we clung on. Magnificent stuff. 

81F6BEEF78B0A94D1DECB1C1A5473E706EEFE3AF (1920Ã1017)

I think I'm gonna go for a lower league game now and see how it goes down there. When you get the players in, this tactic really performs well, pinning back teams into their own third and camping out in their half. I don't change anything, by the way. I did experiment with a shut-up-shop tactic, but it just seemed to invite teams on. 

Again, great stuff kr10. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2019 at 05:07, timcliffsmith said:

Well, season five went like this...

469691DDABCA84FDF46E66D9CF86EBBA19291D6E (1141Ã1008)

I really didn't think it was going to happen, but it did. Again, I finished the season like a train.

9F4CFDD523E539EAE13DA235F2B352CCB69B8E0C (1141Ã1008)

Again, a little dodgy spell cost me two cups, but then after that. Here is my first choice team, if you're interested. The key game was Man City away. I had key injuries and my team was exhausted from the fixture run. I was sure that was where I was going to lose it. Man city out-chanced two to one, but David Brooks swept in a half-volley from the edge of the area and we clung on. Magnificent stuff. 

81F6BEEF78B0A94D1DECB1C1A5473E706EEFE3AF (1920Ã1017)

I think I'm gonna go for a lower league game now and see how it goes down there. When you get the players in, this tactic really performs well, pinning back teams into their own third and camping out in their half. I don't change anything, by the way. I did experiment with a shut-up-shop tactic, but it just seemed to invite teams on. 

Again, great stuff kr10. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Incredible! 5th season win with Cardiff is no joke. 

I haven’t tried this tactic with a team worse than Milan, the question is how it will perform with worse teams - especially lower league. I do expect this tactic to work on FM20 since there are no real ME exploits, but it’ll be interesting with a lower league side. 

Might need to go more conservative with the defensive line and mentality, and perhaps change the WP to an inverted winger. It’ll be interesting to see. 

Excellent results again, congratulations, and thank you for testing the tactic. From all the stories on here, there seems to be a point where the tactic really clicks and everything falls into place. 

Various interactions of 433/4141/352 have never given me as good results, at least with my Milan side, so for me it was good from the get go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi KR10,

Your tactic does work in lower leagues. If anything, it works even better than in the top flight,. I started a game with Truro in the Conference South and absolutely smashed the league. I didn't even have a WP, just played a winger there who was minimal red in that role. Was working so well that I switched tactics. I took the Forest Green job who were bottom of League 2 and not won after 8 games. I switched to an experimental tactic. Basically, it's a 4-5-1, but I told myself I was just going to play players in their best positions and roles. The wingers can be in the wide mid or wing position, and the centre mids can be DM CM or AM, but with a max of 1 in DM or AM.  Well, quite frankly, it's ridiculous. I'm undefeated in 30 league games and hardly concede a goal. Here is the tactic if you are interested.

My conclusion about FM19 is that, like FM18, the balance is terrible. If you find a tactic that works, it just works. If not, you do awful. Your tactic was the only one that kept it interesting for a while. Of course I'll buy FM20, cos this is still the best management game around, but the balance of this game has not been good for a few years.

All the best. 

TimmyFlex.fmf

• 3 weeks later...

With fm20 now around the corner my plan is to take over Ipswich and use this tactic and my training. I have written down the tactic and training schedule's but hoping able to transfer the files across. 

The new features make this tactic really interesting and can't wait to start this save. 

Are you planning to continue this thread here with fm20 or start a new one? 

On 26/10/2019 at 17:25, thegoon65 said:

With fm20 now around the corner my plan is to take over Ipswich and use this tactic and my training. I have written down the tactic and training schedule's but hoping able to transfer the files across. 

The new features make this tactic really interesting and can't wait to start this save. 

Are you planning to continue this thread here with fm20 or start a new one? 

Im not convinced ill Play FM 20 yet, sadly. Just moved to a new city and started a new demanding job. 

I would consider playing but from a core feature perspective, I don’t see much to be excited about. I think FM 19 was fantastic that way with the rework of the tactics module, made such a big difference. The features this year seem to be just ease of use features so far (unless I am underestimating their impact). 

In any case, I hope for a better match engine. It’ll be interesting to see different types of goals with the same tactic. If you guys do end up using it, please post the results here  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 06/12/2019 at 20:17, poobington said:

I'd like to try this but I can't see the screenshot for the instructions

The pictures links back to fm-base and I have the same issue with a lot of threads there. 

Has anyone tried it on fm 20 yet?

Edited by narum