dafuge's FM09 challenge

• Replies 19.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a little food for thought here, but I wonder Dafuge if you have considered putting in Gills retain players file into the game?

I was thinking as it would improve the long term aspect of the game, probably add some difficulty as you will face less teams full of greys, which should add for a harder challenge as greys aren't that great imo, and it gives a greater variety of players to find and make your own in the future.

Probably know what the answer is going to be, but might as well ask.

Just a little food for thought here, but I wonder Dafuge if you have considered putting in Gills retain players file into the game?

I was thinking as it would improve the long term aspect of the game, probably add some difficulty as you will face less teams full of greys, which should add for a harder challenge as greys aren't that great imo, and it gives a greater variety of players to find and make your own in the future.

Probably know what the answer is going to be, but might as well ask.

I've never really looked into it, but perhaps you might know. Does the database over time retain the same proportion of foreign players by creating regens when using this file, or would it just give us a load more foreign real players at the start of the game?

I've never really looked into it, but perhaps you might know. Does the database over time retain the same proportion of foreign players by creating regens when using this file, or would it just give us a load more foreign real players at the start of the game?

It adds regens on the reset dates of every country each year, so that by about 2020/2025, most/all international teams are full of regens. It does not add real players at the start of the game if you use real players, however it does if you use non-real players :thup:

It adds regens on the reset dates of every country each year, so that by about 2020/2025, most/all international teams are full of regens. It does not add real players at the start of the game if you use real players, however it does if you use non-real players :thup:

Interesting, I didn't know it worked like that. So does the database size get bigger as you play the game or do you just get less English regens to compensate?

I've looked through that already, I was hoping to request a couple of specific shots.

Oh, ok. I haven't got a long term game with this file installed, but i could get you the screenshots you want from a game with non-real players which show you the squads of obscure nations filled with regens if you want :thup:

Oh, ok. I haven't got a long term game with this file installed, but i could get you the screenshots you want from a game with non-real players which show you the squads of obscure nations filled with regens if you want :thup:

What I wanted to see was a screenshot of the player search screen from a game with a similar setup to this challenge, from something like 2030. I wanted to compare numbers of players and spread of nationalities.

Yeah, if you ask in GD, you might get a better answer. Unfortunately I no longer have 09 on my computer, but I know in tests I ran, I would get regens from different places. Most nations have squads, and they do produce regens as several years into the game they have regen players for them. Get the best players in the world from the unexpected really, and it makes scouting more useful, as there are more countries to scout players from. Also would be more rewarding when you uncover a gem from the most obscure sections of the world.

Not much effect on game speed after the initial set up of the game, so it doesn't effect the game too much. This is on a £400 laptop with only 2gb of ram.

Rather decent tbf, might be worth asking gills himself and he could get you some screenshots.

Can say though that in the game I am running on FM 10, there are 24800 players on my well known players screen. In terms of regens under 18, Anguilla have produced 4 regens this season, Bermuda have produced 5, Chad have 2, there is 1 from Djibouti, Guinea-Bissau have 1, Hong Kong have 4, Indonesia have 4, Iran have 5, Lesotho have 4, Madagascar have 2, Mauritius have 2, Montserrat 2, Niger have 1, Puerto Rico have 5, Seychelles have 4, El Salvador have 7, Somalia have 2, Swaziland have 1, Uganda have 1 and Zambia have 4. I am currently in the 22nd November 2010.

Personally, I'd err on the side of caution with these kind of player retain packs. The game is pretty balanced as it is with a large database and with retaining the step 3 feeder clubs (as Dafuge's challenge did this time around).

You don't want to get into a highly unrealistic situation where you see Blue Square South teams full of players from Reunion or wherever. :mad:

Also, I'm pretty sure it has an effect on game speed. I carried out some tests on FM09 and using player retain DDTs increased the overall processing speeds considerably.

Finally, I'd be concerned about the balance of the game. I mean, how many players from the countries DanGLiverpool has listed actually play in England? Not very many, I would think.

Just my opinion of course.

Regards,

C.

That's because they are regens, and aren't alive in real life, that's why they have never played in England ;):p

Nah, just playing, I was thinking more on the long term side of things, one thing that put me off these kind of games is that there are so many teams with greys, stuff like the Champions league can get easy.

Didn't notice too much speed difference in 09, and what with FM10 being faster, it would probably be less noticeable. It doesn't retain all countries, but it does for most. E.G. it doesn't retain American Samoans.

dafuge, will updates from FM09 be welcome in the FM10 thread? I plan to continue my FCUM save and i personally see no point in keeping a dead thread alive if it is just going to be me posting in it. I'd make sure that everyone knew that it was FM09 of course :)

dafuge, will updates from FM09 be welcome in the FM10 thread? I plan to continue my FCUM save and i personally see no point in keeping a dead thread alive if it is just going to be me posting in it. I'd make sure that everyone knew that it was FM09 of course :)

Not tempted to get cracking with the FM10 challenge mate?

Not tempted to get cracking with the FM10 challenge mate?

Not for a while, if at all for the following reasons:

1. Want to finish Brennan's career and get him to the 1,000 goal mark, thus completing the Danny Roberts Challenge.

2. I want to try and get my son to the England Caps and Goals records

3. As i'm in year 11 at school, i'll be very busy as it's my GCSE Year and schoolwork takes priority over FM and i fear that FM10 may distract me.

But i may eventually give into the temptation and buy FM10! :D

No, there is always a separate thread for each game version and I want to keep it that way.

If it is just you posting in here perhaps it would be better to just post about it in the career updates forum.

The main problem with the file is that the database size increases a lot:

All Eng Leagues Small Database ~9,000 players

Medium Database ~12,000 players

Large Database ~ 15,000 players

Gillsman's retain file gives a database of over 60,000 players.

My FC United save on FM09 at 2039 had ~12,000 players, and it had really started to slow down on my computer (Core 2 Duo @2.1GHz and 4GB RAM).

So running 4-6 times as many players over 30 odd years, wouldn't be fun.

Though FM2010 does allow you to customize the database a lot more than FM09 you can now retain "players based in nations, of nationality, from top division clubs, from top clubs, players with continental reputation, with national reputation and current international players."

So we could just retain players from top european clubs to make Europe a little more competitive in the future, without crippling performance or affecting the lower leagues much.

FM2010 also shows you the rough number of players that will be in the game when setting up a new game - so on release it should be relatively easy to agree on a balanced option if we want to.

The main problem with the file is that the database size increases a lot:

All Eng Leagues Small Database ~9,000 players

Medium Database ~12,000 players

Large Database ~ 15,000 players

Gillsman's retain file gives a database of over 60,000 players.

My FC United save on FM09 at 2039 had ~12,000 players, and it had really started to slow down on my computer (Core 2 Duo @2.1GHz and 4GB RAM).

So running 4-6 times as many players over 30 odd years, wouldn't be fun.

Though FM2010 does allow you to customize the database a lot more than FM09 you can now retain "players based in nations, of nationality, from top division clubs, from top clubs, players with continental reputation, with national reputation and current international players."

So we could just retain players from top european clubs to make Europe a little more competitive in the future, without crippling performance or affecting the lower leagues much.

FM2010 also shows you the rough number of players that will be in the game when setting up a new game - so on release it should be relatively easy to agree on a balanced option if we want to.

Thanks for that. I had a feeling that it would add a lot of players but not that many.

I'm definitely going to use the retain file for the promoted teams, that worked well. Perhaps we could add a few more foreign players, it is something I will look into.

Just checked the database for FM2010 - Truro only have 600 reputation, despite being strong contenders for promotion. :( There goes my plan.

dafuge, I know how strongly you feel about the use of editors. I assume editing Truro's reputation in the first season so they are more likely to get promoted for the second, then changing it back once they make it, is out of the question? Either that or I can wait until someone creates a realistic representation of the Southern Premier League and take them up from there myself. Otherwise, I may have to go it alone this year, or settle for Dartford. :( To be honest, I plan on using FMRTE anyway, if only to change the kits. Truro's away kit for this season is horribly wrong, and I made a nice likeness of it whilst messing around the other day.

Just checked the database for FM2010 - Truro only have 600 reputation, despite being strong contenders for promotion. :( There goes my plan.

dafuge, I know how strongly you feel about the use of editors. I assume editing Truro's reputation in the first season so they are more likely to get promoted for the second, then changing it back once they make it, is out of the question? Either that or I can wait until someone creates a realistic representation of the Southern Premier League and take them up from there myself. Otherwise, I may have to go it alone this year, or settle for Dartford. :( To be honest, I plan on using FMRTE anyway, if only to change the kits. Truro's away kit for this season is horribly wrong, and I made a nice likeness of it whilst messing around the other day.

I don't think using FMRTE for any reason is acceptable, else I'd have edited my age like I'd normally do at the start of a new game. :(

Can't you just edit the kit using the pre-game editor? Furthermore, you can edit the 3D kits without even using an editor.

Also, you should report the kit issue in the data issues forum as soon as possible. You never know if it might make the opening patch (doubtful, but if you let them know early there might well be a chance).

As for the reputation issue, this will no doubt be changed for the data update, which is usually out in December.

Regards,

C.

Can't you just edit the kit using the pre-game editor? Furthermore, you can edit the 3D kits without even using an editor.

Also, you should report the kit issue in the data issues forum as soon as possible. You never know if it might make the opening patch (doubtful, but if you let them know early there might well be a chance).

As for the reputation issue, this will no doubt be changed for the data update, which is usually out in December.

Regards,

C.

For the challenge any editor use is banned, including editing kits in pre-game editor.

That sucks as Truro are touted as being league winners from the beginning and if they do so will also set the British record of 5 back to back promotions - I was thinking of using them in Dafuge's challenge in FM10 but I suppose that changes my plans then :p

You can create 3D kits and use a config file to get them in the game. There is/was a sticky in the Skinning Hideout about how to create them.

That sucks as Truro are touted as being league winners from the beginning and if they do so will also set the British record of 5 back to back promotions - I was thinking of using them in Dafuge's challenge in FM10 but I suppose that changes my plans then :p

As mentioned by crouchy reputations can get a tweak come the Jan update and so could be playable then.

Use of any editors is forbidden but there is a way of changing kit colours without using an editor at all, it's been a while but I should be able to work out how to do it.

As for the Truro reputation, as far as I know database information should not be public knowledge at this point in time. I'd be interested to hear how you checked this.

Use of any editors is forbidden but there is a way of changing kit colours without using an editor at all, it's been a while but I should be able to work out how to do it.

As for the Truro reputation, as far as I know database information should not be public knowledge at this point in time. I'd be interested to hear how you checked this.

He could have used FMRTE to check at the start of the quickstart for England, as it is available for FM10 demo.

Depending on how high the reps of the other teams in the league that Truro is in, could also make a difference on how often they will get promoted. Its possible that with the amount of restarts some of us do, to get a variety of low rep teams they could come up, and/or with 2-3 seasons holiday they could come up.

dafuge's FM10 challenge

Just a few little announcements:

• We will not be using the editor to add any new leagues this year, we will start in the BSN/S as usual. The game setup is still under investigation with retain player rules something that I will be testing.

• Bad news, we will no longer have the functionality of our website as Allan is no longer active around here and cannot commit the time to it. In the early days of the challenge I used to do that table manually but I simply cannot do it again due to the amount of time it was taking me.

• Things will kick off on the morning of release day. I have the day off work so will be able to get the opening post up a lot earlier than usual. Club reputations etc. will be revealed then.

Fair enough, maybe just something showing those who have finished the challenge instead of everyone taking part.

That's true Gilbster, enough people do the challenge so hopefully one of us will get them.

Am not sure if I will be doing the challenge this year, my usual option of Spurs looks like it will be too little of the challenge so an L.L.M looks likely. However I really want to manage England from the start which is against this challenges rules - ARGH! What to do!?!

Suppose using the new options in the game, we could pick to load players from certain nations, pre set by Dafuge at the start. Loading players from Scotland, Wales, N Ireland, ROI would be helpful for players at the start as there would be more people to get.

In FM09 I didn't have much luck poaching Irish players, as the teams seemed to be more active and they were poaching my transfer targets :(

what kind of work lies in running the website?

I've got no idea, I have no knowledge of website design/maintenance at all.

There is a chance that Allan will pass over the website for me (or someone else) to take on, but I really don't have the skills to do it.

I've got no idea, I have no knowledge of website design/maintenance at all.

There is a chance that Allan will pass over the website for me (or someone else) to take on, but I really don't have the skills to do it.

Ah ok. I was just curious to see if it was simply a matter of maintaining the data or a matter of designing stuff.

dafuge's FM10 challenge

Just a few little announcements:

• We will not be using the editor to add any new leagues this year, we will start in the BSN/S as usual. The game setup is still under investigation with retain player rules something that I will be testing.

• Bad news, we will no longer have the functionality of our website as Allan is no longer active around here and cannot commit the time to it. In the early days of the challenge I used to do that table manually but I simply cannot do it again due to the amount of time it was taking me.

• Things will kick off on the morning of release day. I have the day off work so will be able to get the opening post up a lot earlier than usual. Club reputations etc. will be revealed then.

1. Good news, that's what i had been hoping for :thup:

2. Not so good :( Isn't there anywhere where you can set up a free website and use software to help replicate the stuff that you have on the current site?

3. Good news, despite the fact that i won't have the game for a while (Might not buy the same at all! :eek:)

Archived