dafuge's FM09 challenge

• Replies 19.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i was just really angry about me losing last minute games in the start of the season, but its better know so i take it back, hehe :p

The marketing people at SI should pack stress-balls in with copies of FM! I've got a grip trainer thing which I squeeze for those moments. My forearms have doubled in size over the past few years!

1walesjob.jpg

I'VE WON THE PREMIERSHIP 20 SEASONS IN A ROW AND SINGLE HANDEDLY PRODUCED 99% OF YOUR NATIONAL TEAM. GIVE ME THE DAMN JOB.

...at least the job went to a former player of mine. Shame he has terrible coaching stats.

That is harsh! Try managing a bigger country, a proven international track record might get you the job next time.

Or you might get utterly shafted again.

I got offered the England job before World cup qualification, Cameroon just before the World cup and Portugal, Italy and Brazil after the world cup. But i'm only interested in Wales! I assume they won't give me the job because i'm English, but I must be an honourary Welshman by now! My son was even born in Merthyr!

And I think it's a sign you've played too much when players who you remember coming through your youth system are becoming international managers!

The 'wants a new challenge' feeling is hitting my squad hard now and two of my star players are now transfer listed by request.

Benoit Martin - club captain, in his 12th year at the club.

Ryan Caddis - probably the 2nd best player I have, also in his 12th year at the club.

I obviously don't want to lose either of them but I can't really see anyone being willing to pay that much in transfer fee and wages for either of them.

I'm having the same with one of my favorites - Konstantin Kretschmer. I'm not keen on letting him go because it's been really hard finding a backup for him, so it would be even harder finding a replacement.

I just noticed that i'm playing League 1 Cardiff in the Community shield. It turns out they won the FA Cup last season while getting relegated from the Championship!

I've also noticed that Guisley are in the Championship after being taken over by a Swiss tycoon while they were in the BSN 12 years ago!

End Of Season 2019/2020 CCC - FC United

8th Placed finish in the Championship. Just 1 place off the Play Offs but in reality, we were miles off, finishing a dismal 15 points off the pace in the end. My players have had problems (and not just this season) of not picking themselves up quick enough after losing cup games. I've tried varying my team talks and press conferences but they always seem to go on a poor run after cup exits. Topping things off this season is the loss of my best player on a Bosman. Jose Iglesias, a Defender/Wing Back, Midfielder spent most of his time as a right full back but was able to step up into the midfield role when needed. He'll be hard to replace. I've also had a problem with scoring goals this season again, with my joint top scorers finishing on 12 each. Maybe my tactics are too defensive, I'm hoping to change things around for next season. I've also lost both my Goalkeepers on Bosman deals and I'm struggling to find a (decent) replacement.

An unbelievable statistic from this season was Manchester Uniteds relegation from the EPL whilst Man City won it!!!!!! I'm a United fan and seeing that news flash wasn't a nice feeling!

Kendal Town / Season Report / 2011-12

I had the best intentions of keeping the same squad, staying cheap and saving some money, confident that 22nd place would be easily achieved. Then I saw some of the players who were now interested in coming and, well, look at my transfers page down below and you will see. The team that began the season was mostly different to the team that finished the last one, save for fans' favourite Joe Colbeck on the right wing.

The season began slowly, with a draw and two defeats, although we knocked Championship Sheffield United out of the League Cup. We got stuffed 5-0 by a rapidly fading Liverpool in the Round Two, who had missed out on Europe entirely this season after only scraping the UEFA Cup last year. Our fourth game and second home game yielded our first ever league win against Leyton Orient 4-2. We built successfully on that, spending the first two-thirds of the season hovering between 6th and 10th, and I thought with some fortune we could make the playoffs. We had been dumped out of the Trophy at the first hurdle by Morcambe.

We were at Anfield again in the FA Cup Third Round, this time managing a respectable 3-1 defeat. Later in the season Liverpool went into administration, finishing in the bottom half, although mid-table was their destiny anyway. Obviously two glamorous home ties against Kendal was not enough to boost their coffers ;) We didn't manage a single game on TV, which was disappointing and reduced our potential earnings.

After Liverpool we drew away at Leyton Orient, and this was followed by an impressive seven-win streak, putting us in second behind runaway leaders Rotherham and faltering Grimsby. Despite a poor run of 1 win and 1 draw in 6 games we still held onto second by the skin of our teeth, Leyton Orient and Grimsby just behind, although fortunately their form was mediocre also. We managed four wins and four clean sheets on the bounce, putting distance between us and Grimsby, although Leyton Orient matched us point for point. Game 44 of the campaign was away at champions Rotherham, who had beaten us 2-0 at home. A classic Kendal backs-against-the-wall victory followed, mustering a 2-0 win from only 4 shots to 18 and securing promotion. Our last home game was a 0-0 draw against bottom club Barnet, and our last match against now-bottom Chesterfield who beat us 1-0. Sadly, it didn't help either team as Notts County maintained their football league status with a last-day victory.

Obviously I'm delighted to get promoted, but a little apprehensive - there were times when we superb, but also times when we were absolutely awful, particularly on the run-in, and I can't help feeling promotion has come too soon. Our finances, while OK, have been hit by my OTT wage spending this season and we may struggle to get the right players in for League One. My full-backs were on loan from Middlesbrough and Sunderland respectively, and I hope I can get them back.

Joe Colbeck was the only player who has been a regular in all three divisions, and did well again, though I suspect the next level will be a step too far. Goalscoring hero Andrew Cook failed to net all season, slipping from third to fourth choice, and it may be time to let him go. I brought in a lot of good young players my scouts found on the cheap, but I was hoping to have a year at least to blood them in League Two. C'est la Vie. Onwards and upwards!

Oh, and woopty-friggin-doo: Stadium Expansion

Transfers

Table

Team  /  Season  /  Division  /  Position  /  Achievements

Kendal   09/10      BSN         1         Promotion; FA Trophy Winners
Kendal   10/11      BSP         1         Promotion; Conference League Cup Winners
Kendal   11/12     CCL2         3         Promotion

2010-2011 Blue Square South- Dover Athletic

Last seasons disappointment of the playoff final soon disappered as we started brightly in the season. We were around th top spot for the whole of the first half of the season. By beating top of the table Woking we closed the gap to one point with about 15 games to go I was confident we could win the league. We then had a dip in form and Woking pulled away to win the league with a few games to spare. We comfortably finished 2nd and went into the playoffs. Two great performances saw us past Weston Super Mare before the big game against Hampton and Richmond. great defensive second half performance saw us get promoted. :D nothing really to note about any of the cups apart from getting to the first round stage of the FA cup before losing to Port Vale.

Transfers

League Table

Manager Overview

Right i started again last night as Dover Athletic, we had a fe players already at the club but only one has kept his place.

Manager Profile -http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4923/managerprofilev.jpg

As soon as i took over i felt under pressure to get a good squad as i dont want to be hanging around the conference south for very young. I signed a lot of players (24 in all), some good, some not so good. The stand out names are Paul Terry and 40 year old Dean Windass who will be used sparingly.

Terry- http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/5858/paulterry.jpg

Windass- http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8734/windass.jpg

After 20 games we sit in 1st postion clear by 3 points, but we arent looking too good. That might sound strange seen as though im top of the league but the team doesnt feel good enough and were grinding out 1-0 victories instead of thrashing teams, it will be a long, tough season.

League table- http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/812/leaguetableqyp.jpg

Top scorer so far has been Josh Knight with only 8 from 17 games, hes been starting up front with Danny Uchechi who is only useful for he pace he offers the team. Hopefully we can stay top and clinch promotion but it will be difficult.

Edit: Four first half goals from Danny Uchechi had us 4-0 up against St Albans at half time. Ended up at 7-0 thanks to 2 goals from substitute Dean Windass. Finally gave somebody a thrashing, hopefully this means the team is beginning to gel rather than just poor opposition.

I was looking for something to do between now and the release of FM10, so I decided to give this a shot. I'm starting out with Tonbridge Angels - not the biggest team, but not exactly tiny either. Here's my manager profile. Hopefully, I won't suck too badly, since I accidently saved over my June 24th save. =/

A new laptop and a fresh install of FM09 made me try this again. I've never completed the challenge, but God knows how many times I've started it...

After hours of reloads the only team below 1000 in reputation was Mangotsfield United. I have decided to give it a go.

Manager profile

I'll give you more details and screens after I've had a closer look at my team.

Mangotsfield United

Background

Squad

Staff

Stadium and facilities

As the squad and staff screens will tell you, I have to bring in both players and staff before the season starts. I will go for young players with sell on value if that's possible, but I don't know what type of players I'll be able to attract. I have a small wage budget, so the playing staff will probably be small in numbers throughout the season. I'll have to go for auxilary players to cover all positions. I have a small hope that I'll have a shot at promotion this season, but with the wage budget and the players I've inherited I might have to adjust my ambitions a bit.

I've become a fan of global mentality the last couple of weeks, and the lower leagues are a good arena to try out some new ideas I've been tinkering with lately. I think I'll go for a standard 442 with some minor adjustments if I'll manage to get hold of two or three decent strikers in the transfer window. A 451/433 is also a possibility.

I usually just copy the general training regime and increase the intensity a bit, so both the tactics and training area shouldn't take much time to set up. I'll need the time to search for staff and players.

Time to play the beautiful game :)

I'm bak after having to spend a week in wales :( not fun

Staines Town 13th Season 21/22 Premiership

Competitions:

League Cup: lost in 3rd round to chelsea 2-0

Fa Cup: lost in 6th round to tottenham 2-0

League,

Squad, Transfers

1st Season in Prem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We started off alright in the league cup, by smashing L1 scunthorpe 6-0. We got our 1st league win in the 4th match, in a smash and grab 1-0 away to stoke. We then followed it up with 3 straight losses, including a 2-0 loss to chelsea in the league cup, before our 1st home win of the season 1-0 against a struggling fulham. We then won 3 more of the next 10 matches before causing our 1st upset of the season. We then saw off west ham then birmingham in the fa cup. while in the league we struggled with 1 win in 9. this end with a remarkable 2-1 victory over arsenal. Unfortunatel we couldnt continue like this in the league and didnt win in the next 5 but we beat stoke in the fa cup before losing to tottenham in the 6th round. although 1 of the matches was against then 1st placed newcastle. We managed 2 wins on the trot for only the 2nd time this season followed by 2 losses to chelsea and tottenham which meant we were safe with 3 games to spare but my lads put in a performance for the last game of the season by holding man utd to a draw for the 2nd time this season. this gave us a very respectable and maybe slightly flattering 14th place in my 1st season in the prem and im looking for at least 12th next time around.

Also special mention to my star player Acaymo who despite us coming 16th still managed to come 2nd in the golden boot award beaten to it by a Fillipo Bartolli brace on the last day of the season. Acaymo's performances were the only things that kept us up.

Other:

Finances - Spent 5.25 mill but the tv rights money was so huge i still made a massive profit.

Stadium Expansion - always good news even if it isnt a huge expansion

Fc United became the 1st unplayable team to get promoted to lge 2 with an AI manager

Career Summary:

Season1 : BSS - 1st - Promoted as champions

Season2 : BSN - 3rd - Promoted through Playoffs

Season3 : L2 - 5th - Lost in playoff semi final

Season4 : L2 - 2nd - Promotion

Season5 : L1 - 18th - N/A

Season6 : L1 - 5th - Lost in playoff semi final

Season7 : L1 - 1st - Promoted as champions + jpt winners

Season8 : CH - 17th - N/A

Season9 : CH - 9th - N/A

Season10:CH - 5th - Lost in Playoff semi final

Season11:CH - 4th - Lost in Playoff final

Season12:CH - 5th - Promoted through playoffs

Season13:PR - 16th - N/A

Now to catchup on around 300 posts :eek:

After bringing in a new coach, physio, and two scouts my backroom staff are complete for now. I've been scouting like crazy, and have assembled a decent squad, but I'm still short. I've got a first eleven and two subs, but I'm already closing in on the limit of my wage budget. Hopefully I can get some of the "big" earners to agree to a wage cut around Christmas, because I need more players. A squad of 15-17 players is needed, injuries can occur at any time.

Anyway, I've just played the first game of the season, a fine 4-1 victory away against Bromley. Tactics wise it looks as we are on the right track.

Update

Just won the first peece of silverware in carge of Dover :) The conference league cup is coming home to Crabble Athletic ground after we beat Histon of the Blue square premier 3-0. Dean Windass produced a man of the match performance in a playmaking role and his experience was very useful.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8000/conferenceleaguecupfina.jpg

I am also listed in the clubs favoured personel despite being in charge for less than a season :)

Things look good in the league as we sit top after 31 games, 2 points ahead of Forest Green. Fingers crossed we can keep it up and win promotion.

Update:

The season has started really well for Mangotsfield. After 10 games we are top of the league, and the new strikers have not been shy in front of the oppositions goalkeepers. The defense is not watertight, but number of conceded goals are within a reasonable number for this level.

League table

All three strikers have hit the net, Ademeno with 8. Ngo Baheng 7 and Jeffrey with 4 in 10 games. Things are looking bright at the moment. It's early days, but perhaps a promotion is possible afterall.

Squad

We've managed to bring in some quality players for this level, but unfortunately we've exceeded the wage limit set by the board, but not by much. Hopefully it won't come back and hount us later on in the season. Arndale and Wring are the only players left from the original squad.

Is there any savegame available on 24th of June 2009? I want to take a challenge, can anybody provide me this save game so that I can continue with it. I couldn't find one in website. :(

Thanks a lot in advance.

I am using 9.3.0 patch.

Edit: I need the game with position as new season not started, so that I can reload it multiple times to get a really poor club. :D

Edit 2: No problem ... my system is processing Holiday Man quite fast now. It should be over in 20-25 minutes. Thanks to 64bit Vista, I can use full 4gigs RAM to process my game faster. :) Sorry for my trouble, mate.

Anyway I am late with this challenge but nonetheless I want to try this one out. Wish me luck!

End Of Season 2020/2021 CCC - FC United

No signs of improvement in terms of the League, after an abysmal start to the season I managed to get into the top half and ended up finishing 11th. Again, the big problems were lack of goals with my top goalscorer ending up on just 17 and in the 52 games played all season, we only managed 64 goals and conceded a massive 55!!

Plus points were a League Cup Quarter Final appearance losing to EPL side West Brom but beating Tottenham and Stoke (both from the EPL) along the way.

Manchester United bounced straight back up into the Premier League finishing 2nd behind Bolton after having sold

over 20 players, the majority due to relegation release clauses.

Fingers crossed for the next season, only 2 players are due to leave me and I can easily do without them so my core squad should be quite settled. I'm still finding I have major issues with dressing room harmony and once it starts to drop, it usually doesnt pick up till the following season. This will be my 4th Season in the CCC so I'm really hoping to get at least a play off spot, fingers crossed.

Large database, the save game is compressed. You probably have the 'compress save game' option unticked under preferences. Your save game will naturally be bigger then.

ohh! ok ok. I got it. :) Cheers. Again thanks a lot for your help.

Update:

After beating Bridgwater, Forest Green and Team Bath in the qualifying rounds in the FA Cup, we were up against Gillingham from league 1 in the first round of the competition.

What we expected to be a certain defeat, turned into an even contested game which ended with a 1-1 draw at home. The hopes were not to high before the return fixture, but after 90 minutes the score was 2-2 and we even missed a penalty! Amazingly enough, we managed to win the game 3-2 :D thanks to a goal by Danny Wring, one of two players from the original squad.

Things are going great in the league as well, we are still unbeaten and it's mid-November. Really pleased with the season so far.:)

Started a new game (thanks to Godemand for providing save game).

Selected team: Farnborough

Why I've chosen this?

According to dafugeschallenge website, only 8 players (now 9) have tried this club in FM2009. Only 2 person has made it till Blue Square Premier, and rest are still lying in BSS/N. Let see if I can take them to the further heights or not.

Dover Athletic season 2009/2010

Competitions

League- 1st - http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/975/finaltableq.jpg

Conference league cup- Winner vs Histon

FA Trophy- Lost in 1st round vs Weymouth

FA Cup- Lost in 1st round vs Histon

All in all it was a dream first season at Dover Athletic. At the start of the season i inherited a squad consisting of 7 or 8 very average players, this was the moment i realised i had a huge job on. I spent the whole pre-season searching for talent that had been discarded from league clubs and brought in a few decent lads in from Sunderland (Donoghue, Weir, Connolly). I brought in 24 players in total, some were successful and some werent so successfull and were quickly shipped out. I would have settled for mid table at the start of the season but it quickly showed that we could mount a challenge for the play offs at least. The main strength of the team was the tight defence conceding just 30 goals which was the best in the league by an absoloute mile. We were tussling with top spot with Forest Green Rovers for most of the season and i thought it could have been a tight finish until they fell away badly in the last 9 games picking up only 4 points. This meant that we won the league by 9 points in the end but it wasnt as comfortble as that in reality.

The signings of Dean Windass and Mamadou Seck in December, they added much experience and quality when we really needed it. Unfortunately Windass is now 40 year old and will not have his contract renewed but he did a great job for the team scoring 8 goals.

Squad- http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5602/squadu.jpg

Manager Overview- http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5049/manageroverview.jpg

Transfers- http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/4523/transferst.jpg

Captain Paul Terry- http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5049/manageroverview.jpg

Aims for next season:

1) Rebuild the squad and work out which players can cut it at this level

2) Avoid Relegation

3) Have a good FA Cup run

Plans for FM10 challenge, Dafuge? I assume you'll want to create the lower leagues and set the challenge from there, but which level will you go from and does this mean the end of the need for Holiday Man?

Holiday man will be a part of it whatever, although the starting league is undecided.

I really need to test it out first so I can't really announce anything yet. It also might mean that the start for FM10 is delayed by a day or two.

At the moment, it will either be a case of adding tier 7 or staying as we are.

Holiday man will be a part of it whatever, although the starting league is undecided.

I really need to test it out first so I can't really announce anything yet. It also might mean that the start for FM10 is delayed by a day or two.

At the moment, it will either be a case of adding tier 7 or staying as we are.

Presumably though you could in theory have all the teams in the pyramid as "playable", so unless you decide to just leave the leagues unedited and run it the same as this year, you could make an argument that you should just use whatever team you want in the lowest available league in the first year. After all, isnt that basically what we're doing this year? We essentially pick whatever team we want from level 7 in the tier, the only difference being that they've been promoted.

The holiday man element is surely only useful if you want an element of randomness to be introduced, but people can just download games with their chosen team in it anyway....

Your call of course, and obviously you cant decide until after release, but its an interesting thing to consider. I for one would love to go at least one level down the ladder, perhaps two or three...

Presumably though you could in theory have all the teams in the pyramid as "playable", so unless you decide to just leave the leagues unedited and run it the same as this year, you could make an argument that you should just use whatever team you want in the lowest available league in the first year. After all, isnt that basically what we're doing this year? We essentially pick whatever team we want from level 7 in the tier, the only difference being that they've been promoted.

The holiday man element is surely only useful if you want an element of randomness to be introduced, but people can just download games with their chosen team in it anyway....

Your call of course, and obviously you cant decide until after release, but its an interesting thing to consider. I for one would love to go at least one level down the ladder, perhaps two or three...

There are two key features I would like to keep though:

1. Everybody starts in exactly the same place, no one has different setups (apart from a smaller database if needed).
  2. No editing, I don't want people going into the editor before starting their games.

The holiday man allows us to manage a team from an unplayable league, it means one less tier is needed to be loaded at the start (which could have a huge effect on speed later on). Don't forget, adding tier 7 would give us a choice of a new team from unplayable tier 8, most of which will not have featured in the challenge before.

How does everyone find players to buy?

I use the player search and look for unattached players then scout them and also look who has been released by premiership teams. However, im struggling to find decent players for the conference.

I pretty much do the same, I use the player search to find U21 unattached players then scout as many as possible. Also, I had out trials to any Welsh/Scottish/Irish players who appear on this list.

Archived