dafuge's FM09 challenge

The Aim

To take a small club who were previously unplayable in the game from the Blue Square N/S to Premier League and Champions League glory.

The Rules

As an addition to this year's challenge, to make sure that the promoted clubs have the correct squads, you will need to use this DDT file. This file will load all of the players for the clubs eligible for the challenge and save loading the massive database created by loading all of the English players. Thanks go to michaeltmurrayuk for providing us with this.

Here's where it needs to go:

XP, patched: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data\updates\update-930\db\930\edt

Vista, patched: C://program files/sportsinteractive/football manager 2009/data/updates/update-930/db/930/edt

Steam, patched: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2009\data\updates\update-930\db\930\edt

Mac, patched: /applications/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/data/updates/update-930/db/930/edt

If you are not using the patch, use the data/db/900/edt folder instead

Load a game with the English leagues only, with the Blue Square N/S selected, a large database (or smaller if preferred), the attribute masking, real players and transfer boxes ticked and the add key staff box unticked. No additional players from any nation should be loaded. It should look like this.

The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you, as they shouldn't make a difference.

Add yourself as an unemployed manager, the details are not important at all. I like to call mine 'Holiday Man'.

Go on holiday until 25th June, this shouldn't take too long, perhaps about an hour. Saving on 24th June may give you a better choice of teams by reloading the game then going on holiday for one day, I would strongly recommend trying this.

Retire your 'Holiday Man' manager. It is always a sad moment, a bit like the bit in Bambi, just without the deer dying.

Add a new manager, the options are up to you but 'past experience' must be set to the lowest possible which is 'Sunday league footballer'. I understand that choosing different nationalities may have an effect later on, but I trust people will be sensible with this. I would expect people to use their own true nationalities.

Take over one of the new clubs promoted to the Blue Square North or South, they should appear in this list which also shows the reputation of the possible clubs. The reputation should act as a difficulty level, the lower the reputation, the harder your game should be.

Isthmian Premier League

Dover               1400
Staines             1250
Sutton Utd          1200
Carshalton          1200
Tonbridge           1200
Maidstone           1150
AFC Hornchurch      1100
Billericay          1100
Dartford            1100
Boreham Wood        1050
Horsham             1050
Wealdstone          1050
Canvey Island       1050
Ashford (Middx)     1000
Ramsgate            950
Margate             950
Tooting & Mitcham   950
Hendon              900
Harrow              900
Harlow Town         900
Heybridge           850
Hastings Utd        850

Southern League Premier Division

Farnborough         1250
Merthyr             1200
Cambridge City      1150
Tiverton            1100
Hitchin             1050
Bedford             1050
Halesowen           1000
Oxford City         1000
Chippenham          1000
Mangotsfield        950
Hemel Hempstead     900
Banbury             900
Gloucester          900
Clevedon            800
Corby               800
Yate                700
Evesham             650
Rubgy               650
Bashley             650
Swindon S           600
Stourbridge         600
Brackley            600

Northern League Premier Division

Boston Utd          1450
FC United           1250
Guiseley            1200
Hednesford          1200
Bradford PA         1100
Ilkeston            1100
Eastwood            1050
Marine              1050
Witton              1000
North Ferriby       950
Buxton              950
Kendal              900
Ashton Utd          900
Matlock             850
Whitby              850
Frickley            800
Worksop             800
Nantwich            750
Cammel Laird        700
Ossett Town         700
Leigh Genesis       700
Prescot             650

* reputations updated to 9.3.0 patch

It is now up to you to manage this club all the way to the Premier League title and UEFA Champions League crown.

You may not move clubs unless you are sacked.

If you get sacked, you can either take over a newly promoted club that satisfies the original criteria (check the club's league history), or just start again.

Any form of international management is not allowed, until you have completed the challenge.

After discussion, it has been decided that assigning parent clubs and loaning players is completely up to the player, although it should be noted that on occasions a parent club can lend players which will make the first season or two slightly less of a challenge. It is completely up to you how you play this one, but everyone knows real men don't use parent club loans. ;)

To sign a player, you must be able to scout them, this doesn't mean you have to, just he must be accessible to your scouts. If you have a foreign player on a free transfer who is willing to come on trial, you do not need to be able to scout them, as long as you have them at the club on trial so you can get a coach report on him.

No external utilities such as FMScout should be used and the database should be unedited. Should SI release a data update, this would be allowed. It is advised that people should update using the latest patches as they are released.

Rules for this Thread

Player naming is allowed. (This is a warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Discussion on tactics is allowed. (This is another warning for those of you who do not wish to see this)

Screenshots for anything are encouraged but please post links to your pictures, don't post them as images as it makes the pages slower to load.

When you join the challenge, could you post a screenshot of your manager's profile on the 25th June like this.

Progress of your club should be documented using this thread, we want to hear the story of your club all the way through. Please keep us updated, even if you are doing really badly.

At the end of every season, could everyone post some kind of season review, including at least a screenshot of a league table and the clubs transfer page. If you give this a title in bold it makes it a bit easier to pick out.

The Website

Thanks to Allan our webmaster, we have our very own website: http://www.dafugeschallenge.com/

When taking part in the challenge you can register with the site which tracks your progress throughout the challenge. If you do not sign up to the website, your name will not appear on the list which I will post in this thread.

Unfortunately, at the moment the website is unable to track anyone winning the Premier League or Champions League. To assist me in updating the table, can I request that people PM me when they win either of these competitions for the first time.

How to Post a Screenshot

• While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).
  • Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image
  • Save the file as a JPEG
  • Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket
  • Post the direct Url to the image here.

How to Add Links

At the top of the forum, go to 'quick links' then 'edit options'. At the bottom, select 'enhanced interface' and save the changes. This will give you access to the extra posting tools that make it easier to post links. Once you've done this, highlight the word you wish to turn into a link, then use the link button (looks like a little globe) to paste in the direct Url to your screenshot.

Let the fun begin :thup:

• Replies 19.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had to edit the .ddt file to work with a mac. Some of the characters didn't transfer from windows properly. If this was just the case for me then thats weird, if not I can send it to you.

If someone else with a mac could check this for me I'd appreciate it. I'll put a link for a mac version up if this is the case.

Logos for the non-licensed english teams, including the challenge teams and the un-licensed english comps are up here (read the readme to install - basically the same as fm08).

Will this work after we've started the game? I'm in the middle of holidaying and i don't really want to start agin...

If I ever get to June on the holidaying, I intend to reload lots of times and keep saves of any 1000 rep or below teams that come up until I can make up my mind. Have a feeling I want either Wealdstone, or something intersting sounding below 1000 rep. Something like Cammel Laird sounds good but probably impossible to get.

Archived