Tactical help

After winning the CL with PSG twice and absolutely dominating every competition I've decided to give myself a bit of a challenge. But it's been a little too much challenge to my liking.

I've started with Tottenham, but never got my tactic right. I've tried the 4231 and 4141. I've won the CL twice with the 4231 with PSG but I couldn't make the 4141 work.

I've watched a bunch of games on extended highlights, and the transition phase seems fine to me. Only a lot of longshots throwing too much attacks away. My attackers always have many options available so I don't understand.

My thought process on the roles:

SK - Hoping he pushes out of his box to stop some counter attacks over the top

CBW's - Pushing forward to give an extra outlet out wide

HB - Supporting the CB's

AP - playmaker

Mez - pushing forward to give an extra option

W - keeping the play wide, Son has PPM to cut inside though

IF - cutting inside and getting on the end of potential crosses from the left

AF - dunno, tried many things but nothing worked

TI's:

- Shorter passing - keeping possession

- work ball into box - counter the longshots

- overlap - letting my CWB's overlap

- Lower tempo - giving my wingbacks time to get forward

- Higher d line - defenders aren't too fast but didn't want to grave myself in, got punished on counters sometimes but not too often

Screenshot 2019-05-04 at 23.29.04.png

The changes I d propose to try would be to switch off both overlaps. That instruction makes your winger and inside forward hold up play. With your fullbacks on attack overlaps will happen naturally. Also I d reconsider chaging CWBs on attack to WB attack or even one attack and one support. CWBs roan from position which may not suit the purpose of stretching play especially on the right side where inside forward leaves space open.

Moreover I d probably reconsider Eriksen s winger role and change it to raumdeuter. Eriksen is good at dribbling and crosses but he s even better in small spaces and has great mentals so that change could maximize his effectiveness. It d also make him play narrower leaving more space for wingback. I d also probably change Kane s role to something support like DLF support, he could link play better this way and if you keep your wingers on attack most of crosses would come from byline anyway so you dont necessary need someone in line with opposition s defence (like advanced forward). Last but not least I d consider changing mezzalla to box to box midfielder. Good luck!

12 hours ago, Dfs said:

The changes I d propose to try would be to switch off both overlaps. That instruction makes your winger and inside forward hold up play. With your fullbacks on attack overlaps will happen naturally. Also I d reconsider chaging CWBs on attack to WB attack or even one attack and one support. CWBs roan from position which may not suit the purpose of stretching play especially on the right side where inside forward leaves space open.

Moreover I d probably reconsider Eriksen s winger role and change it to raumdeuter. Eriksen is good at dribbling and crosses but he s even better in small spaces and has great mentals so that change could maximize his effectiveness. It d also make him play narrower leaving more space for wingback. I d also probably change Kane s role to something support like DLF support, he could link play better this way and if you keep your wingers on attack most of crosses would come from byline anyway so you dont necessary need someone in line with opposition s defence (like advanced forward). Last but not least I d consider changing mezzalla to box to box midfielder. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll introduce some of the changes and keep you posted!

I will soon create a thread on a possible tactic for the Spurs as part of my series on tactic for top EPL sides. It will also be a 4141dm wide system, but a pretty different setup from yours. For now, I can only reveal how I am going to set up roles and duties along with player selection of my preferred starting 11. Perhaps it can give you some ideas.

DLFsu

APsu                                    IFat

MEZat    BWMsu

HB

IWBsu     CDde    CDde     WBsu

SKde

From left to right:

Lloris

Rose - Vertongen - Alderweireld - Trippier

Dier

Dele - Wanyama

Erikssen - Son/Moura