Deciding which style to play.

How do you guys decide which style of football to implement at your club? I love tactics, I respect every brand of football, for me defensive is beautiful if done right, attacking football too, possession, I like all of them. Usually I can't decide which style to play -on the long run,like when buying players- and usually I change tactics alot because I like them all, and I think all could work. Many careers I start deciding to play possession football but it doesn't work so I try counter attacking, fast transitions, but then my players aren't good for this style. How do you guys deal with this issue? 

It depends on a whole heap of factors. First of all do you have the money to make changes? I no then you're restricted by what your squad can actually do. If you can bring in players then you have some latitude and can begin to implement a philosophy. I always manage at the lowest level I can, Level 8 and below in England. I rarely have the resources to make major changes to my squad so I have to assess what the players I have are capable of.

The things I quickly scan for are (1) numbers. How many central defenders do I have, how many central midfieldes, how many strikers.etc

A lack or over abundance of numbers in any particular area might suggest a certain shape. For example, a lack of fullbacks may suggest a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3.

(2) How good is my defenders positioning, are they quick?

Poor positioning is a definite strike against me keeping a central defender but if needs must then I'll note down that they are going to need help, be it a third centre back, a defensive fullback or a DM. A lack of pace tells me that unless paired with a quick partner we're going to want to play a deeper defensive line or at the very least keep a very close eye on balls over the top.

It goes without saying that I also have DNA requirements of Aggression, Bravery, Teamwork, Jumping and Strength?

Next I look at my central midfielders.

(3) Do I have at least two players with sufficient Aggression, Work Rate, Team Work and Determination to play in a central midfield two? The answer to this question is another indicator for what style of play we may use.

If I don't have two work horses in midfield then I know that I'll probably have to play an extra midfielder. It could be a DM, a CM or an AM. Its a lot to ask for two guys to provide cover, defensive support, creativity and attacking support.

(4) What are the stand-out attributes of my strikers. Are they quick? Strong? Good in the air? Hard Working? None of the above? The answer to this is another indicator.

If my forward/s are quick then this opens up the possibility of playing a low block and hitting teams on the break, which is especially interesting if we also have slow defenders. If my forward/s are strong then this turns my mind towards having them play as pivots, holding up the ball and playing in players running from deep. Before I can commit to that though I have to assess my wide players. if my strikers are non-descript (in other words not very quick or good as acting as pivots) then I know that in order for them to score goals then our build up is going to have to be a lot more deliberate. Lumping balls over the top or into them is not going to cut it. They need quality delivery from near to the goal. This points in the direction of having creative players in the AM strata. 

Finally I tend to have a look at my wide options both in midfield and defence. Are my fullbacks any good going forward (usually the answer is not at all) and are my wide options creative? Pacey? Goalscoring?

If my wide players are pacey then that bodes well for the low block counter style. If they're creative then that would mesh well with the non-descript striker that needs lots of support. If they're a goal threat and we've got a striker that can hold up the ball and act as a pivot then great, we're in business.

More often than not the elements don't automatically come together, in which case you have to tinker around, try to bring in a player that can help make more sense of the groups of players that you've got. So say, for example, that you're whole squad makes sense as a side that plays up to a holding forward who lays it off to goalscoring wingers but the one thing you don't have is a holding forward. Then you probably need to retrain someone in your squad or try to find one from somewhere. This is a very realistic dillema and one that real life coaches find themselves in all the time. The previous coach may not have left you with  a group of players that combines in any coherent way. This is the challenge of football manager and why its so addictive, for me.

I value entertainment above all things in sport, its an entertainment industry at the end of the day, it should be fun. I want to see willing attacks, I want to see cavalier counters and expressive assaults. 

I believe firmly that Sean Dyche, Jose Mourinho, Claude Puel, Roy Hodgson and Tony Pulis should be fired in to the sun for crimes against the sport.

I play FM how I like teams I watch to play in real life. I value efficiency, speed, athleticism and bravery. I want my teams to take risks to get a good goal scoring chance as quickly as we can with possession, I don't mind if we only have 30% of the ball as long as we still create 70% of the chances. 

It's just what I enjoy watching, in the game and in life. 

21 hours ago, Atarin said:

It depends on a whole heap of factors. First of all do you have the money to make changes? I no then you're restricted by what your squad can actually do. If you can bring in players then you have some latitude and can begin to implement a philosophy. I always manage at the lowest level I can, Level 8 and below in England. I rarely have the resources to make major changes to my squad so I have to assess what the players I have are capable of.

The things I quickly scan for are (1) numbers. How many central defenders do I have, how many central midfieldes, how many strikers.etc

A lack or over abundance of numbers in any particular area might suggest a certain shape. For example, a lack of fullbacks may suggest a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3.

(2) How good is my defenders positioning, are they quick?

Poor positioning is a definite strike against me keeping a central defender but if needs must then I'll note down that they are going to need help, be it a third centre back, a defensive fullback or a DM. A lack of pace tells me that unless paired with a quick partner we're going to want to play a deeper defensive line or at the very least keep a very close eye on balls over the top.

It goes without saying that I also have DNA requirements of Aggression, Bravery, Teamwork, Jumping and Strength?

Next I look at my central midfielders.

(3) Do I have at least two players with sufficient Aggression, Work Rate, Team Work and Determination to play in a central midfield two? The answer to this question is another indicator for what style of play we may use.

If I don't have two work horses in midfield then I know that I'll probably have to play an extra midfielder. It could be a DM, a CM or an AM. Its a lot to ask for two guys to provide cover, defensive support, creativity and attacking support.

(4) What are the stand-out attributes of my strikers. Are they quick? Strong? Good in the air? Hard Working? None of the above? The answer to this is another indicator.

If my forward/s are quick then this opens up the possibility of playing a low block and hitting teams on the break, which is especially interesting if we also have slow defenders. If my forward/s are strong then this turns my mind towards having them play as pivots, holding up the ball and playing in players running from deep. Before I can commit to that though I have to assess my wide players. if my strikers are non-descript (in other words not very quick or good as acting as pivots) then I know that in order for them to score goals then our build up is going to have to be a lot more deliberate. Lumping balls over the top or into them is not going to cut it. They need quality delivery from near to the goal. This points in the direction of having creative players in the AM strata. 

Finally I tend to have a look at my wide options both in midfield and defence. Are my fullbacks any good going forward (usually the answer is not at all) and are my wide options creative? Pacey? Goalscoring?

If my wide players are pacey then that bodes well for the low block counter style. If they're creative then that would mesh well with the non-descript striker that needs lots of support. If they're a goal threat and we've got a striker that can hold up the ball and act as a pivot then great, we're in business.

More often than not the elements don't automatically come together, in which case you have to tinker around, try to bring in a player that can help make more sense of the groups of players that you've got. So say, for example, that you're whole squad makes sense as a side that plays up to a holding forward who lays it off to goalscoring wingers but the one thing you don't have is a holding forward. Then you probably need to retrain someone in your squad or try to find one from somewhere. This is a very realistic dillema and one that real life coaches find themselves in all the time. The previous coach may not have left you with  a group of players that combines in any coherent way. This is the challenge of football manager and why its so addictive, for me.

Well yeah, the thing is I see many people try to play their football regardless of the players at their disposal. Also, do you change your style or once you use a style due to available players, you just aim to improve it? Say you're managing Burnley and you decide to play Long balls, physical strikers etc, in your 2nd/3rd seasons, do you buy players that fit this system or you decide to shift to another style? How do you decide this other style if you like all other styles?

20 hours ago, Finners said:

I value entertainment above all things in sport, its an entertainment industry at the end of the day, it should be fun. I want to see willing attacks, I want to see cavalier counters and expressive assaults. 

I believe firmly that Sean Dyche, Jose Mourinho, Claude Puel, Roy Hodgson and Tony Pulis should be fired in to the sun for crimes against the sport.

I play FM how I like teams I watch to play in real life. I value efficiency, speed, athleticism and bravery. I want my teams to take risks to get a good goal scoring chance as quickly as we can with possession, I don't mind if we only have 30% of the ball as long as we still create 70% of the chances. 

It's just what I enjoy watching, in the game and in life. 

I love attacking football, but I can't say I don't like good defensive teams, specially teams controlling the spaces and not just sitting back defending for no reason. I believe defending can be beautiful, if the tactic and plan is so perfect. It isn't enjoyable, I won't enjoy watching a team defending 90 minutes, but I'd definitely be amazed by how good they defended. That's what make it hard for me to pick a style, I like both!

Ultimately choose a style you will enjoy watching. No one can honestly tell you what to do, but they can probably share their own experiences. I am always trying to include elements i see in football games and then apply it where i can within the engines limitations. I like to make very attacking systems which are defensively robust as well. So find something you like to see and just do it. It can be fun when your vision gets translated onto the pitch, and where little drawings get brought to life. Ultimately there are always going to be people here who will help you where they can.

55 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

Ultimately choose a style you will enjoy watching. No one can honestly tell you what to do, but they can probably share their own experiences. I am always trying to include elements i see in football games and then apply it where i can within the engines limitations. I like to make very attacking systems which are defensively robust as well. So find something you like to see and just do it. It can be fun when your vision gets translated onto the pitch, and where little drawings get brought to life. Ultimately there are always going to be people here who will help you where they can.

It's just I don't see black and white, rather I see shades of gray, so that's why I try to make some sort of a story for my manager, like I imagine working with guardiola, so I try to play his way -his philosophy,  not system -, another save where I'm influenced by the special one, etc. I just wanted to know how people overcome such a dilemma.

2 hours ago, OElite said:

Well yeah, the thing is I see many people try to play their football regardless of the players at their disposal. Also, do you change your style or once you use a style due to available players, you just aim to improve it? Say you're managing Burnley and you decide to play Long balls, physical strikers etc, in your 2nd/3rd seasons, do you buy players that fit this system or you decide to shift to another style? How do you decide this other style if you like all other styles?

Good question. Hand on heart, I get a bit bored when I am able to start developing into a good side. I just get no pleasure from being the side that's forced to dictate play. Because of that, answering your question is difficult. I'd like to think that after a season or two of overachieving teams would no longer be setting up in such a way as to allow me to play the Burnley way.

In real life I guess I'd be you're fireman type manager. Hopping from job to job putting out fires and dragging sides from the relegation zone to midtable before leaving for the next challenge.

I love tactical simplicity. The holy grail for me, is a system that is scaleable. In other words with a simple tweak it can work with dreadful non-league no-hopers all the way up to solid professionals. I've yet to find it but I will. One day.

1 hour ago, Atarin said:

love tactical simplicity. The holy grail for me, is a system that is scaleable. In other words with a simple tweak it can work with dreadful non-league no-hopers all the way up to solid professionals. I've yet to find it but I will. One day

You will 

22 hours ago, Atarin said:

Good question. Hand on heart, I get a bit bored when I am able to start developing into a good side. I just get no pleasure from being the side that's forced to dictate play. Because of that, answering your question is difficult. I'd like to think that after a season or two of overachieving teams would no longer be setting up in such a way as to allow me to play the Burnley way.

In real life I guess I'd be you're fireman type manager. Hopping from job to job putting out fires and dragging sides from the relegation zone to midtable before leaving for the next challenge.

I love tactical simplicity. The holy grail for me, is a system that is scaleable. In other words with a simple tweak it can work with dreadful non-league no-hopers all the way up to solid professionals. I've yet to find it but I will. One day.

That's interesting, I haven't seen much people that can overachieve and struggle when managing better sides. I guess you will find that system though, good luck doing that!

On 03/05/2019 at 10:54, Finners said:

Watching some of the comebacks this season has really got me interested in firing up a gegenpressing style. I'm normally quite 'balanced' in things, but maybe I should say sod it and just go all out entertaining attacks. Trouble is, I'd like to be competent like Klopp and not anything like Keegan. :P

8 hours ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Watching some of the comebacks this season has really got me interested in firing up a gegenpressing style. I'm normally quite 'balanced' in things, but maybe I should say sod it and just go all out entertaining attacks. Trouble is, I'd like to be competent like Klopp and not anything like Keegan. :P

Mate Kevin Keegan is one of my all time favourite football managers haha, would rather lose 5-4 than win 1-0!

That's the way forward! Defendings for cowards! ;)

One way to overcome your dilemma is to take a reference manager and implement his tactical style and preferred formation. Then you are working towards one common goal, with some nuances, and have no need to flip-flop between styles and formations.

Find an historical team or manager that interests you, research how they went about playing football and try to implement it. And the more offbeat the better, as you will have less reference material to work with from these forums to guide you (i.e. not another 433...).

Personally, I don't even look at the players I have at my disposal at the outset. I pick a way that I want to play and then work towards it, developing the players, traits and signings as appropriate. And I almost always try a different approach in each version of FM, or in different saves if I end up having multiple. Currently it is Herbert Chapman's 'WM' formation from the 1920-30s, next time around I might try Francisco Maturana's approach with the Colombians in the 90s - as examples.

The more disciplined you are, the more rewarding the save I find. Set yourself rules appropriate to the task.

2 hours ago, Finners said:

Mate Kevin Keegan is one of my all time favourite football managers haha, would rather lose 5-4 than win 1-0!

That's the way forward! Defendings for cowards! ;)

I will be releasing two more tactics soon, one is a simple 433 and another is a 235 where the goal is not to defend, but to score :-)

On 12/05/2019 at 12:23, Rashidi said:

I will be releasing two more tactics soon, one is a simple 433 and another is a 235 where the goal is not to defend, but to score :-)

By releasing do you mean YouTube videos or actual downloads? Or can I get downloads on your Patreon?

I explain all my tactics on YT, patreon is a bit different, sometimes i brainstorm with people on tactics, i upload tactics there. I also have a fM tactics handbook which is in the description of the latest videos and there are tactics there for people to download as well. I just haven't updated that yet cos i have been looking after my son who has been sick. I haven't added storm the 4231/Ironhide yet to the book. Will be doing that sometime this week.

Archived