Wonderkid lists cheating?

Is it cheating?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

As the title says, do you find looking at wonderkid lists and / or cheap bargains cheating? Not actually downloading the shortlists and inserting them into your game, just looking at them online a couple of times? 

Nope, I used to regularly use them, now it varies save to save. I see it as just being knowledge your manager brought with him to the job, like how I'm always going to have a better idea who might be a bargain in the PL than in say, the Danish Superliga (if anyone signing from a PL club other than Ajax last summer can get a "bargain")

• 6 months later...

I always try to play by the rule that if I know a player is a wonderkid only through reading about him on FM forums or FM youtube videos then I won't sign him. If I know about his talents through real life football knowledge I am on the other hand allowed to buy the player. So I won't sign Balanta but I can sign Renato Sanches if I wish since I know more about the European scene than the Argentinian so i will know about Sanches' talent without FM.

Edited by Experienced Defender
advertising links

On 05/05/2019 at 05:43, Coleman said:

Wonderkid lists are no different than the press reports any manger can see in the sports pages in real life. Wonderkids don't always pan out.

Pretty much this.  It's not like these players are unknown to managers anywhere.   Some clubs use FM to help scout, this is no different.

It's not necessarily cheating, but it would give you an advantage over players who don't use it.

There's lots that still go wrong even if you do have a wonderkid. His personality, injury proneness, play time, training etc will all determine whether or not he actually goes on to become the star that he could be. You'll still need to invest a lot of time with the kid and manage him right in order to get him up to his PA.

It's a single player game though and you should do whatever makes the game enjoyable for you.

For a start its singleplayer game, so who is supposedly being cheated? 

But also if you play the game enough, you'll generally see and find a lot of wonderkids on those lists anyway and people with good football knowledge will also know a lot from real life. I generally find my scouts are pretty good for it, for example in FM19 I had never heard of Marin, but my scouts found him and I bought him, he became an integral part of my team. 

Clubs use all manner of ways of scouting players. Some even use Football Manager (Everton spring to mind). 

You still need to know what you're looking for and none of us take what we read on complete trust (i.e. don't bother to check attributes) so, no, it's not cheating.

Also, the second argument is; it's your game, it's your choice how you play it, if others don't like that....tough. Don't live your life by what others tell you to do. 

I have no idea why people ask this.... why do you care what other people think about what you do in your single player game?

The question is whether YOU think it's cheating or not... sure you aren't playing the game as intended by the devs or in the spirit of the game, but do you class this as cheating?  

If you want my opinion on it, the fact that you felt the need to ask the question probably tells me that you have some inclination towards thinking it probably is cheating.

I have OCD so it affects me in different ways, this being one of them unfortunately. I get fixated on making sure I'm not cheating, I know it doesn't make much sense but that's OCD for you! I don't believe it is cheating but I get those worries that it is at times. I feel the same about downloading other people's tactics btw even though it's not cheating. So I sometimes feel the need to ask for assurance. 

This game can be a nightmare for me at times, but I would never give it up because I love this series too much :D

Edited by Gee_Simpson

21 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I have OCD so it affects me in different ways, this being one of them unfortunately. I get fixated on making sure I'm not cheating, I know it doesn't make much sense but that's OCD for you! I don't believe it is cheating but I get those worries that it is at times. I feel the same about downloading other people's tactics btw even though it's not cheating. So I sometimes feel the need to ask for assurance. 

This game can be a nightmare for me at times, but I would never give it up because I love this series too much :D

given that info, I'd definitely suggest you look at how you feel rather than what others think...  

In some saves i'll look at a few players on here and in lists, others i'll intentionally ignore lists and not go for the obvious wonderkids ... either way, it's not cheating.

You still have to scout and make a decision on the individual player. Sometimes it actually domes me when a kid off a list gets a bad report. Just gives me a basis to start with and something to look at in between computer time. No different than a real manager seeing a clip of a player then asking scout to take a deeper look.

14 hours ago, Welshace said:

given that info, I'd definitely suggest you look at how you feel rather than what others think...  

In some saves i'll look at a few players on here and in lists, others i'll intentionally ignore lists and not go for the obvious wonderkids ... either way, it's not cheating.

On 02/05/2019 at 20:55, Gee_Simpson said:

As the title says, do you find looking at wonderkid lists and / or cheap bargains cheating? Not actually downloading the shortlists and inserting them into your game, just looking at them online a couple of times? 

Same logic then applies for people who look at tactics online? Not downloading them, just looking at them?

7 minutes ago, Tummyowl said:

Same logic then applies for people who look at tactics online? Not downloading them, just looking at them?

I don't consider either to be cheating so it doesn't really matter now anyway. I was just interested in what other people thought. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

Personal choice.

However, I choose to only bring my own knowledge into the game and each save you play it obviously increases. Seems more organic that way as half the fun is tracking one down you’re unfamiliar with. I’d feel like I was forfeiting a lot of enjoyment using someone’s list.