In what manner, if any, do you set nicknames?

How  In what matter, if any, do you set your players' nicknames?

I tend to have one person and a backup for each position and set the nickname according to the players position and ranking within the team so, for example, I have "John Smith mcr", "John Smith mcl", "John Smith mc3" and "John Smith mc4" for my four central midfielders .. and no they do not really all have the same name. The central midfielders in the reserve team all have a suffix of "mc#" and those in the U18 team have a suffix of "mc##".

I was prompted to ask the question after seeing a screen shot where somebody had a suffix describing the players personality.

57 minutes ago, callme_hd said:

Seems interesting. However, for me I'm not used to set nicknames. I'd like to see the players' full name on the screen.

I need to use the suffix as I can never remember my first team choice and their positions :(

I never have problems remembering my first choice players, i guess this is more of a journeyman problem, only way i would nickname someone would be for youth prospect following and loan system following (the juventus way)

As for how to put nicknames im sure the first tab in player's profile has the option

I have set a nickname only once in all my FM games - for a Greek newgen striker called Ilias Athanasopoulous, who's name was annoying me every time it popped up so I set his nickname as Ilias, and completely ignored his surname.

If I'm doing a youth only save I will nickname my youth intake players with the year and a letter indicating the ability (e.g. Bobby Brilliant 19A, Johnny Nogood 19L)

I only use nicknames sparingly.

In FM11, I had an Iraqi winger named Anmar Almubaraki, but his surname in-game was misspelt as Almaburaki. That started to irritate me, so I just nicknamed him Anmar and left it there.

While managing Dag & Red on FM13, I had two different Irish players with the same name. The first Daryl Ryan was my first-choice goalkeeper for a few years. Some time after he left, I had a second Daryl Ryan - a midfielder - in my youth intake. I imaginatively nicknamed him 'Daryl Ryan II', but he only made a handful of senior appearances and was given a free transfer in his early 20s.

I use numbers before the players names.  

2 for RB, 3 for LB, 5 for cover DC, 6 for stopper DC, 4 for DM, 7 for support CM, 8 for Def CM, 11 for Att CM, 10 for DLF, 9 for AF.

Helps me remember my plans for developing them.

Helps me line up different options for subs bench (have a 2 or 3, 5 or 6, 4 or 8, 7, 11, 9 and 10)

Also use JPA and JPP after scouts and coaches names to know which opinions to trust more.

I've only ever used it to rename a player who's name I can't pronounce (not that I ever need to verbally say their names ) to some simplified version of their name 

It's actually quite rare I have to do it as I'm immediately put off signing players with complicated names :D

I use it for scouts based on their assignments - eg Johnny Peeters - Germany U19s.

This way I can send the appropriate scout to follow up on players in their assigned country. It probably doesn't matter, but hopefully it saves costs and travel time by not sending my Spain scout to Argentina and back 5 times a season.

I add a players personality to the end of their name, for instance, a driven player would get- John Smith DRI, that way I can track personality changes quickly, makes it a little easier for mentoring.

I normally just use it to rename some of the stranger nicknames that Brazilian regens get given or so I don't have 3 or 4 players all called the same thing...

What I would really like is an option to set a player's short name but leave their full name in all the normal screens.

Archived