[FM19] Time to Tee off

kevhamster

September 2021

3VvnSal.png

We weren't expected to get a result against Man Utd, but came very close.  We pulled level from being 2-0 down, but after our equaliser (which came in the 87th minute), United then went and scored with the first attack built from the kick-off, which was frustrating.

We then had a very good win against Spurs, in a match where we were by far the better team.  We then had a fairly routine win against Portsmouth.

The Brighton match harks very much back to those matches last month against Wolves and Burnley where had much more of the possession and lots of good chances, but couldn't get the breakthrough which was extremely frustrating.

Must do better.

iWDKfBK.png

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

At least your not Crystal Palace.

That's something I'm glad about constantly :lol:.  That said, I did manage them briefly in a previous iteration of FM, but I never made a career thread on it because I don't think I even managed an entire season on that version of the game.

This season has been extremely poor so far really.  After my last match (which hasn't been included in an update as yet), it was literally a case of "**** it, turn the game off" and a few days break from FM as I was just going to be swearing at my laptop screen otherwise!

On 11/08/2019 at 19:06, Northernpilgrim said:

Still time to turn it around. Try a couple of tactical tweaks and if you've got a free week, arrange a friendly against a really weak team to hopefully get a win and boost morale. 

That's something I do consider sometimes, however this version of FM has left me questioning entirely the point of friendlies, outside of the fitness effect, as we have pre-season friendlies against decent opposition which we absolutely dominate and win well, but then turn to crap the minute a fixture actually means something.  

That said, with a couple of exceptions, we've not played actually badly and have actually been the better side in all of the 1-0 wins - just missing a bit of good luck.

Anything heavier than a 1 goal loss though, we've been absolutely appalling.

Edited by kevhamster

October 2021

YD8RdmQ.png

Another poor month in the league.  Arsenal demolished us, and Bristol City took a 3-0 lead, before we pulled it back to 3-2.

Either side of a cup win against Doncaster, we managed two draws.

I suspect that the board may start to lose their patience if we don't start picking up wins soon.

SKEqN1F.png

On 25/08/2019 at 22:17, Nobby_McDonald said:

This isn't looking good Kev.

No, it's been poor.  It will be resuming in the near future with whatever it may bring.  However, I've recently bought Everspace and Mass Effect Andromeda on sale and so they've been taking up my gaming time.  

I don't expect to be welcome at Leicester much longer if the form doesn't improve!

• 3 weeks later...

November 2021

7cBMFhB.png

Well, that was a bit better.  The Man City match was a back and forth game, but we played well and a draw was a fair result.  Two excellent wins followed in two matches we utterly dominated.

Now the league table looks a bit more promising.

0OpBaMQ.png

December 2021

USVMaVc.png

Well, we're starting to pick things up.  The Liverpool match was a low point in the month and the result was a fair reflection of how the match went.

We did ride our luck to get a draw against Southampton, but we played well in the second half and managed to get a late equaliser.  

We're also into the Carabao cup semi-final after steamrollering Bournemouth, who managed to score with the only shot they had in the entire game.  The semi-final will be against Man City, so we'll do well if we manage to make the final.

The league table is looking a lot better now as well.

6dfGVKU.png

On 17/09/2019 at 22:16, kevhamster said:

Thankfully, I prefer Kettle Chips! 

1. Burts Devon roast beef
2. Real roast ox
3. McCoys flame grilled steak
4. Burts spicy chorizo
5. Hula Hoops BBQ beef
6. McCoys prawn
7. McCoys Thai chicken
8. Burts salt & vinegar
9. Coop TI salt & vinegar

No others matter.

Edited by Nobby_McDonald

• 3 weeks later...

January 2022

SPjigKa.png

Back down to Earth with a bump.  

The FA Cup win over League Two Carlisle was exactly what was expected.  We then struggled for form the entire month, but did give a good accounting of ourselves in the Carabao Cup semi-final matches against Man City, but were unable to do enough.

We did manage an extremely good (and welcome) win against Man United at the end of the month though, which I was expecting the worst in after we went a goal down inside 3 minutes.  We then managed to get into a 3-1 lead, before United pulled back one in injury time to make the last couple of minutes more tense than they needed to be.

0IZhCn4.png

February 2022

0cBcjnQ.png

An unbeaten month, but mostly draws in the league.  We're also through to the FA Cup 6th round where we will meet Manchester United - so we need to somehow repeat our last result against them.

Anyway, onto the league games.

The win against Bournemouth was fully deserved, although we should have won by more.

Spurs have been struggling this season, but they are still a decent side so I'm not too unhappy with a draw at their place.

Before the Brighton game, I'd have been disappointed with anything less than a win.  But we had to alter our gameplan drastically when Walter Ndidi got himself sent off for a two-footed challenge midway through the first half, so we had to play for around an hour with 10 men.

We then went to Arsenal and rescued a point with a late equaliser so can't be too unhappy with that, although Arsenal were definitely the better side so I'm not thrilled with the performance even if the result was welcome.

HuY60ON.png

March 2022

36KjHDH.png

I'd predicted March would be tough when I saw the fixture list, and I was correct!  At least we managed the win against Bristol City.  

Predictably, we didn't repeat our previous surprise win over Man Utd and they dumped us out of the FA Cup, so we go no further than the 6th Round this year.

We managed a 0-0 draw against them for Kasper Schmeichel's testimonial (they were picked as being listed as the club he supports).  Man City then matched United's result against us in the league.  Well, given the fact they're topping the table between the two of them, I can't be too unhappy as we didn't play particularly badly in either game - just that they have such class to choose from that they seem to be better at burying the chances which come their way.

mwuzGce.png

April 2022

wSzfdnD.png

A near-perfect month.

Whilst it was a kinder run of fixtures, with Fulham and Palace both in the bottom 3 and Norwich just above it, we still looked convincing the entire month with only a late Southampton equaliser to spoil the month a little.

We finished up with a fantastic performance and thoroughly deserved win against Liverpool, and as a result of this they now need to rely on Arsenal slipping up to make the top 4.

And Mariano, the classy striker we have on loan from Real Madrid had had a barren run in front of goal for quite a while.  Then he did this in the Fulham game:

We have one game left against West Ham.  And although we can't finish higher than 8th, we need to win against them to make sure they don't overtake us.

29ftI5D.png

May 2022

Mc7wNpZ.png

The final game of the season could be described as a bit of an anti-climax.  It was a close match.  We took the lead in the 59th minute, and West Ham equalised immediately from the resulting kick-off.

So, whilst the results mean that West Ham didn't overtake us into 8th, Southampton did manage.

However, some progress from last season.  7 more points, and a positive goal difference (last season was negative).  So, although we're only one place better off, there are positives for sure.  It's just frustrating that our incredibly poor start to the season ultimately cost us the chance of considerable improvement.

EWu7hFz.png

On another note, Manchester United fans rejoiced this season as they won literally everything.   

F28ym8m.png