Do You Deal With Rival Clubs in FM?

Depends if there's a real rivalry, or if they are rivals only on paper. In the former case it would be hard to buy or sell there anyway. In the latter case... I've indeed sent players to my "supposed" rivals after I started outrageously dominating the league to "help" with the development of the league/country, but rarely bought from them when we had equivalent status.

It depends on the strength of both the rivalry and my attachment to my club. For example as a Manchester United fan, whilst managing them I'd never do any business with Liverpool unless they bid 200% value for someone I thought totally worthless. But last year I signed Raheem Sterling from City, and I'd go for Foden given the chance as he's a local lad.

Fiorentina and Juventus too, I'd try not to sell anyone to the Turin club. But with Milan / Inter, or Dortmund / Bayern I'd happily trade. I also signed Rabiot on a free from PSG to Lyon, and if they bid Mbappe money for a player I'd probably let them to go Paris too. 

all my rivals are pretty poor since i'm in the swiss league, nearest rival was 40 points behind last season. the only thing i care about is keeping our automatic european (2 champions league) places so I happily loan them any swiss team my players to help out.

As said before its very difficult to buy a player from Rival club. For example I bought Cresswell from WHU by ~20mln euro in Man City, but when I played for Chelsea they asked for ~60mln! :eek:

Anyway, I always play 'authentic' - for example if I play in Spain, Portugal -> buy players from SA at first, Italy -> not shy to buy old years players, etc. I never buy British players if I play out of UK because it's very rarely IRL as I can see :)

Why you asking?

1 час назад, Hovis Dexter сказал:

A little off topic but in a previous save I had a couple of ex United players as my coaches and they refused to follow me when I changed jobs and started to manage City. Their stated reasons were that they hated City.

I bet that among them was Paul McGuinness :) 

I've not directly purchased a player from a fierce rival directly but playing as Hearts this season I did try to sign Jason Cummings, formerly a Hibs player, a few times while he was floating around England. He always refused to entertain the thought of talks with me though.

As Aberdeen in previous years I'd sign Rangers players no worries.

Once attempted to lure away a young Celtic lad from their youth team while managing Rangers but it broke in the media and I got slaughtered for it.

19 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

I bet that among them was Paul McGuinness :) 

I think that may be correct. It was in FM17 or FM18. One of them was definitely Paul Scholes ... but I've also hired the Neville brothers quite often. I can never find any ex City players to hire as coaches :(

Archived